Read 258400 times

• Ptolemy
  • Super Waygook

• January 09, 2017, 06:25:15 am
    • Seoul
Re: When will Trump be impeached?
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2017, 02:54:53 pm »
Yeah, all this "opening of investigations" is stupid.

The problem is the American two party system just argues about everything forever and can never get anything done...meanwhile the ship sinks. This is why the mob voted Trump, they want an authoritarian leader to bring order.

If the US doesn't pull it together they literally are going to get Hitler next.

• eastreef
  • Super Waygook

• November 02, 2009, 02:53:39 pm
    • 7 years at middle & high schools in Korea / Now a university in Thailand!
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2017, 04:43:50 pm »
This article is well written and worth reading about the Flynn event.  Furthermore, it is correctly classified as an opinion piece, and not a news story.

Is this the path that the U.S. really wants to blaze?  Because once this type of bureaucratic fait accompli is cheered and accepted by many, it will be done again, and again, and again.  Furthermore, next time it may be against the people who are now cheering.  It should not be bureaucrats deciding who should be President. 

Just because one side will not accept the election results……

A few excerpts from the piece:

America's spies anonymously took down Michael Flynn. That is deeply worrying.
Damon Linker – February 14, 2017

http://theweek.com/articles/680068/americas-spies-anonymously-took-down-michael-flynn-that-deeply-worrying

The United States is much better off without Michael Flynn serving as national security adviser. But no one should be cheering the way he was brought down.

The whole episode is evidence of the precipitous and ongoing collapse of America's democratic institutions — not a sign of their resiliency. Flynn's ouster was a soft coup (or political assassination) engineered by anonymous intelligence community bureaucrats. The results might be salutary, but this isn't the way a liberal democracy is supposed to function. 

…….Far too many Trump critics appear not to care that these intelligence agents leaked highly sensitive information to the press — mostly because Trump critics are pleased with the result. "Finally," they say, "someone took a stand to expose collusion between the Russians and a senior aide to the president!" It is indeed important that someone took such a stand. But it matters greatly who that someone is and how they take their stand. Members of the unelected, unaccountable intelligence community are not the right someone, especially when they target a senior aide to the president by leaking anonymously to newspapers the content of classified phone intercepts, where the unverified, unsubstantiated information can inflict politically fatal damage almost instantaneously.

……These leaks are an enormous problem. And in a less polarized context, they would be recognized immediately for what they clearly are: an effort to manipulate public opinion for the sake of achieving a desired political outcome. It's weaponized spin.

This doesn't mean the outcome was wrong. I have no interest in defending Flynn, who appears to be an atrocious manager prone to favoring absurd conspiracy theories over more traditional forms of intelligence…….

But no matter what Flynn did, it is simply not the role of the deep state to target a man working in one of the political branches of the government by dishing to reporters about information it has gathered clandestinely. It is the role of elected members of Congress to conduct public investigations of alleged wrongdoing by public officials………

In a liberal democracy, how things happen is often as important as what happens……..

Those cheering the deep state torpedoing of Flynn are saying, in effect, that a police state is perfectly fine so long as it helps to bring down Trump……… 

Down that path lies the end of democracy in America.                             
“All of this has happened before, and will happen again.”

« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2017, 06:45:19 pm »
This article is well written and worth reading about the Flynn event.  Furthermore, it is correctly classified as an opinion piece, and not a news story.

Is this the path that the U.S. really wants to blaze?  Because once this type of bureaucratic fait accompli is cheered and accepted by many, it will be done again, and again, and again.  Furthermore, next time it may be against the people who are now cheering.  It should not be bureaucrats deciding who should be President. 

I disagree.  It has nothing to do with not accepting the election results.  Trump is a bona fide imbecile.  Now he is president of the USA, the most powerful country on the planet.  Giving the position of president to that man is literally like giving matches to a toddler.  Anyone with any sense (and any control) will be doing whatever they can to stop him hurting himself and others.  He should get to play at being president, but not to do as he pleases with the power he has, er, acquired.

• Ptolemy
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2017, 07:11:35 pm »
I disagree.  It has nothing to do with not accepting the election results. 

So in other words you don't accept the election results.

Trump is a bona fide imbecile. 

The voters think libtards are bona fide imbeciles.

« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2017, 07:48:30 pm »

I disagree.  It has nothing to do with not accepting the election results.  Trump is a bona fide imbecile.  Now he is president of the USA, the most powerful country on the planet.  Giving the position of president to that man is literally like giving matches to a toddler.  Anyone with any sense (and any control) will be doing whatever they can to stop him hurting himself and others.  He should get to play at being president, but not to do as he pleases with the power he has, er, acquired.

I'm just wondering... why does everyone think Trump is stupid? I mean, he is certainly not a scientist but he is obviously rather clever in certain ways. The guy (and his team) have made some brilliant strategic moves. The stupid red hats with the slogan, drain the swamp, the poles are rigged, turning the fake news angle against the media... the reality is the Trump team has performed impressively in a strategic sense. They have turned the atmosphere of the country into Trump vs. Establishment and sooooo many people are forced to support Trump regardless of his actions. No one really knows what his administration is doing because all the focus is on his battle with the media and Russia conspiracies. This could be a recipe for disaster because a large chunk of the country will support him 110% no matter what just to give the finger to what they view as a corrupt system. If things keep going this way he will absolutely win a 2nd term because as long as the world doesn't end the anti-Trump people will look ridiculous from all this panic and fear mongering.

If the media really wanted him to lose the next election they should be his cheerleading squad and let independent media go after him. That would turn him into the villain they want him to be but right now they are making him a hero to many.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2017, 07:52:15 pm »

• eastreef
  • Super Waygook

• November 02, 2009, 02:53:39 pm
    • 7 years at middle & high schools in Korea / Now a university in Thailand!
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2017, 08:38:02 pm »
waygookkorea link=topic=104010.msg685844#msg685844 date=1487245710]

I'm just wondering... why does everyone think Trump is stupid? I mean, he is certainly not a scientist but he is obviously rather clever in certain ways. The guy (and his team) have made some brilliant strategic moves. The stupid red hats with the slogan, drain the swamp, the poles are rigged, turning the fake news angle against the media... the reality is the Trump team has performed impressively in a strategic sense. They have turned the atmosphere of the country into Trump vs. Establishment and sooooo many people are forced to support Trump regardless of his actions. No one really knows what his administration is doing because all the focus is on his battle with the media and Russia conspiracies. This could be a recipe for disaster because a large chunk of the country will support him 110% no matter what just to give the finger to what they view as a corrupt system. If things keep going this way he will absolutely win a 2nd term because as long as the world doesn't end the anti-Trump people will look ridiculous from all this panic and fear mongering.

If the media really wanted him to lose the next election they should be his cheerleading squad and let independent media go after him. That would turn him into the villain they want him to be but right now they are making him a hero to many.

I agree with most of what you said. 

The Democrats thought the same about Reagan; that he was just a dumb actor.  Reagan kicked their butts in two elections.  It keeps going back to the fact that the elitists either can’t understand, or just won’t accept, the real reasons that Trump won.    If they don’t understand why Trump won, they will never understand why he won’t be impeached, or why he will win a second term.   There’s also the elitist problem of not liking to be told no, and the election told them no…..

First, I’m not talking about what happened in 1974, but how to win Presidential elections.  As I said before, Nixon barely won in 1968.  After 68 the country was ready for a little tranquility but the Left would not relent.  I know because my older sister had a helmet and her own gas mask at Stanford.  She and the Left kept saying that Nixon was the most horrible President ever, that the majority of people supported what the left was doing, and the massive protests, demonstrations, occupations and even deaths continued (Kent State).  Nixon had his silent majority.  In 1972, Nixon carried 49 States and won 60% of the popular vote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_majority

The silent majority is an unspecified large group of people in a country or group who do not express their opinions publicly…

Nixon's silent majority referred mainly to the older generation (those World War II veterans in all parts of the U.S.) but it also described many young people in the Midwest, West and in the South, many of whom eventually served in Vietnam. The Silent Majority was mostly populated by blue collar white people who did not take an active part in politics; suburban, exurban and rural middle class voters.  They did, in some cases, support the conservative policies of many politicians. Others were not particularly conservative politically, but resented what they saw as disrespect for American institutions.              
“All of this has happened before, and will happen again.”

• Ptolemy
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2017, 08:57:17 pm »
I'm just wondering... why does everyone think Trump is stupid? I mean, he is certainly not a scientist but he is obviously rather clever in certain ways. The guy (and his team) have made some brilliant strategic moves. The stupid red hats with the slogan, drain the swamp, the poles are rigged, turning the fake news angle against the media... the reality is the Trump team has performed impressively in a strategic sense.

Reposted!

Yeah, anyone who thinks Team Trump is dumb, is the one getting played. What's really amazing is these guys didn't just win game1, they set up a long-term win many moves out. There are so many traps already set, the dems simply don't see (arrogance is blind?).

All dems can really do is "be outraged" and lose again. Really they need to move to the right themselves, everyone is sick of their identity politics. Trump is more in touch with what normal people actually want, but were afraid to say because of liberal fascism.

« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2017, 09:08:57 pm »
All dems can really do is "be outraged" and lose again.
To be fair, they've won two of the last three presidential elections and won majorities in Congress during the time. This time they lost big, but it's hardly hardly the same as them "losing again and again."

I agree with the general sentiment that they completely missed the boat on this election, more or less coasting on the idea that he's a joke and can't possibly win, but that's different.

• Ptolemy
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2017, 09:30:14 pm »
To be fair, they've won two of the last three presidential elections and won majorities in Congress during the time.

Sure, I get this view. But I think something very different is happening in the socioeconomic cycle, which is that this run of liberalism since the 60s is simply over. Dems seriously have nothing they can run on for the next 30yrs, because everything liberal has already been achieved. Life is going to get harder for Americans and things tend to move to conservatism during those times.

Bannon is rapidly moving to prepare the country for a 50yr conservatism cycle; changing universities and media. In just 4yrs it will be a different country, these guys are moving fast.

« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2017, 08:13:03 am »
To be fair, they've won two of the last three presidential elections and won majorities in Congress during the time.

Sure, I get this view. But I think something very different is happening in the socioeconomic cycle, which is that this run of liberalism since the 60s is simply over. Dems seriously have nothing they can run on for the next 30yrs, because everything liberal has already been achieved. Life is going to get harder for Americans and things tend to move to conservatism during those times.

Bannon is rapidly moving to prepare the country for a 50yr conservatism cycle; changing universities and media. In just 4yrs it will be a different country, these guys are moving fast.

Ah, you mean Real President Bannon, and his plans to precipitate the new saeculum.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2017, 08:31:28 am »
Trump may be sly, but overly intelligent? Just look at his off-script speeches. Sixth grade grammar.
 https://youtu.be/7UIE_MRAhEA

Why cant he find qualified members to fill his cabinet, (not the ones awaiting confirmation)?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/robert-harward-turns-down-national-security-adviser-job/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/15/us/politics/andrew-puzder-withdrew-labor-secretary.html

I would bet the farm there will always be an opening in his administration.

Here is another liberal elitist propaganda piece outlining Trump's disarray:
http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21717066-furore-over-americas-national-security-adviser-axing-michael-flynn-reveals-deep
Mr Trump has so far nominated 35 people to fill some 700 senior positions that require Senate confirmation. On February 15th one of them, Andrew Puzder, his chosen labour secretary, withdrew his nomination after it became clear he would struggle to get confirmed. This poor progress is making it even harder for Mr Mattis and his cabinet colleagues, including Rex Tillerson, the secretary of state, to push back against the turmoil emanating from the White House.

• Ptolemy
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2017, 08:44:08 am »
Just look at his off-script speeches. Sixth grade grammar.

Trump's speeches are brilliant. He plays straight man, never smiles in an hour, yet super funny. Alpha male conservative comedian (we need to make up a name for this style). I'm seriously falling out of my chair laughing at some of his lines this morning.

The American people agree, he's going to be huuuge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL3yF9wYR3U

« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2017, 09:02:50 am »
Trump is in big trouble. He is at war with the deep state, and his support from congressional Republicans is paper thin. Due to his clear violations of the emoluments clause, and of course possible ties to the interests of a foreign power, he is eligible for impeachment any time congress decides to pull the plug.

It's delicate of course this early into his mandate, having won a federal election. But his approval rating, and even his crushing loss in the popular vote means that eventually Republicans will have to decide if supporting Trump helps or hinders their eventual re-election campaign/future ambitions.

I don't think Trump will see out his term -- he might not even see out half of it. But with the American system, that just means several years of President Pence -- who will be far more effective at getting right-wing policies actually implemented, and stand a far better chance at winning in 2020 should he stand.

« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2017, 09:05:36 am »
Apologies if this has already been posted.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/02/he-will-die-in-jail-intelligence-community-ready-to-go-nuclear-on-trump-senior-source-says/#.WKT5UJHHM0w.facebook

‘He will die in jail’: Intelligence community ready to ‘go nuclear’ on Trump, senior source says

« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2017, 09:18:04 am »
Today/yesterday FOX News' Shep Smith teed off on Trump's disingenuous attacks on the media for simply asking him clearly relevant and important questions.

If FOX is turning, Trump is in even bigger trouble than I thought.

• Ptolemy
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2017, 10:40:37 am »
^ Hehe, you guys are so weak and worried about every detail.

This is war, lying scum everywhere, means war everywhere. Dude is doing what he was hired to do. America loves it. If you make a move on Amercia's guy, the country basically collapses, failed state, civil war.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2017, 02:00:50 pm »
http://citizentherapists.com/manifesto/

We must speak out for the well-being of our democracy, which is both a way of living and acting together and a set of political institutions. Therapists have taken for granted how our work relies on a democratic tradition that gives people a sense of personal agency to create new narratives and take personal and collective responsibility for themselves, their families, and their communities. Reliance on a Strong Man who will solve our problems and deal with internal and external enemies is a direct threat to the democratic basis of psychotherapy. Therapy only flourishes on democratic soil.

Again I am not disputing Trump won the election. I am questioning his ability to govern.

His latest "interview" was ludicrous. Still focusing on Clinton and ratings. Absolutely refusing to acknowledge facts and completely bullying his way through his talking points.

Flynn may be lucky to get out now.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2017, 02:17:54 pm »

This is war, lying scum everywhere, means war everywhere. Dude is doing what he was hired to do. America loves it. If you make a move on Amercia's guy, the country basically collapses, failed state, civil war.

Sounds serious! Maybe, you should tweet about it.

« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2017, 02:30:41 pm »

Sounds serious! Maybe, you should tweet about it.

He's just Ptrolling.