Read 18066 times

Re: US Politics Megathread
« Reply #560 on: July 28, 2019, 11:16:35 am »
Right, there's no republican organization in the state of Minneapolis.  It takes money to run a campaign and  stella was campaigning.
Did she win a primary? Before that happens candidates have to raise money on their own. Look at the Democratic Presidential Primary. Any Democrat can enter, but you have to fundraise and build a campaign on your own.

« Reply #561 on: July 28, 2019, 11:22:37 am »
The closeness of the vote in several key states tells a different story. And make no mistake, all you've got is a story.
Blaming "RUSSIA!!!!" Is like blaming some fan in the stands for yelling "Brick!!!!" and Shaq missing a FT in a game the Lakers shot 15-34 from the free throw line and had 24 turnovers and lost by two. The fact that this was even close to begin with wasn't because of RUSSIA!!! it was the underlying conditions of the election. It would have been more of a blowout if not for Access Hollywood. When Hillary got tossed into the van, that was the effective end of the election. Grab em! only made it close.

How many people saw those facebooke ads? They got like 140 likes and 20 shares. Hillary getting tossed into a van was seen by 320 million Americans and discussed endlessly and caused the Hillary Health rumors to go from conspiracy theory the media called you an idiot for believing to turning into something real.

You're missing the forest for the trees.

Or to put it another way- Ever see how people react to Hillary when she is on TV? People can be hardened Democrats and they'll still wince when she comes on. Or as one reporter's daughter put it- "Mommy why is that lady always yelling at me?"

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #562 on: July 28, 2019, 05:55:48 pm »
Only from a purely legal standpoint is there nothing.
That's the only standpoint that matters.

The russkis offered help to the trump campaign in writing. Don Jr. accepted that help in writing.
Wrong. A person of Russian nationality claimed to have evidence of criminal conduct by Hillary Clinton. Don Jr. did EXACTLY what you should do- Meet the person first to verify the veracity of the information. When it turned out it was bunk, the meeting ended.

BTW, that person met immediately before and immediately after with the head of Fusion GPS, linked to the Clinton campaign, so by your own standard, the Clinton campaign "colluded".
No it's not. The American people deserve a president they can completely trust when it comes to their security.

Don't forget he said he'd do it again.

Nice try at the conspiracy theory. Repugs sure got Clinton on the brain.

« Reply #563 on: July 28, 2019, 06:45:36 pm »
It's not a conspiracy theory. It's in the factual record. The Russian lawyer met immediately before and after with the head of a Clinton-affiliated opposition research firm. Just because that fact is inconvenient for your narrative and rationale, doesn't make it a "conspiracy theory".

Any explanation for this?

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #564 on: July 28, 2019, 07:05:47 pm »
The closeness of the vote in several key states tells a different story. And make no mistake, all you've got is a story.
Blaming "RUSSIA!!!!" Is like blaming some fan in the stands for yelling "Brick!!!!" and Shaq missing a FT in a game the Lakers shot 15-34 from the free throw line and had 24 turnovers and lost by two. The fact that this was even close to begin with wasn't because of RUSSIA!!! it was the underlying conditions of the election. It would have been more of a blowout if not for Access Hollywood. When Hillary got tossed into the van, that was the effective end of the election. Grab em! only made it close.

How many people saw those facebooke ads? They got like 140 likes and 20 shares. Hillary getting tossed into a van was seen by 320 million Americans and discussed endlessly and caused the Hillary Health rumors to go from conspiracy theory the media called you an idiot for believing to turning into something real.

You're missing the forest for the trees.

Or to put it another way- Ever see how people react to Hillary when she is on TV? People can be hardened Democrats and they'll still wince when she comes on. Or as one reporter's daughter put it- "Mommy why is that lady always yelling at me?"

You are echoing the hateful right-wing talking points of Hillary that has plagued her for decades.

Surely, that reporter should have been more worried about the stalker-like behavior of Trump during the debates?

You are again under-estimating the reach of those Russian Facebook ads. The American electorate i.e. those who get their "news" from Fox News and Rush Limbaugh would swallow up those ads as if they were factual information.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #565 on: July 29, 2019, 05:56:13 am »
It's not a conspiracy theory. It's in the factual record. The Russian lawyer met immediately before and after with the head of a Clinton-affiliated opposition research firm. Just because that fact is inconvenient for your narrative and rationale, doesn't make it a "conspiracy theory".

Clinton-affiliated? Please. They hired that firm. There's a big difference.

Can't you do better than parrot the trump echo chamber of falsehoods?  Dishonest don has got himself a budgie.

American racism is growing by the day. Who can we thank for that?

"Xiara Mercado walked into a Starbucks in Hawaii dressed in her Air Force uniform, ordered her drink, and was casually talking on the phone to someone in Spanish. As she left, a woman tapped her on the shoulder — not to thank her for her service, but to scold her for speaking a language other than English.

“You shouldn’t be speaking Spanish, that’s not what that uniform represents,” the woman said, telling Mercado that her choice to speak Spanish in public was “distasteful.”

In a post to her Facebook page this Wednesday, Mercado, who is of Puerto Rican heritage, recounted the exchange and it got quite a bit of attention. As of this writing, the post has been shared almost 30,000 times.

According to Mercado, she asked the woman what exactly was distasteful. The woman replied that speaking Spanish “does not represent America and that uniform you are wearing.”

“I’m sorry ma’am,” Mercado said. “The only distasteful thing here is that you are clueless to your discrimination. Please educate yourself. Have a nice day.”

“I don’t know how you are allowed to wear that uniform,” the woman said loudly.

“I wear it proudly,” Mercado shot back before walking away."

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #566 on: July 29, 2019, 02:27:01 pm »

Can't you do better than parrot the trump echo chamber of falsehoods?  Dishonest don has got himself a budgie.

American racism is growing by the day. Who can we thank for that?

"Xiara Mercado walked into a Starbucks in Hawaii dressed in her Air Force uniform, ordered her drink, and was casually talking on the phone to someone in Spanish. As she left, a woman tapped her on the shoulder — not to thank her for her service, but to scold her for speaking a language other than English.

“You shouldn’t be speaking Spanish, that’s not what that uniform represents,” the woman said, telling Mercado that her choice to speak Spanish in public was “distasteful.”

In a post to her Facebook page this Wednesday, Mercado, who is of Puerto Rican heritage, recounted the exchange and it got quite a bit of attention. As of this writing, the post has been shared almost 30,000 times.

According to Mercado, she asked the woman what exactly was distasteful. The woman replied that speaking Spanish “does not represent America and that uniform you are wearing.”

“I’m sorry ma’am,” Mercado said. “The only distasteful thing here is that you are clueless to your discrimination. Please educate yourself. Have a nice day.”

“I don’t know how you are allowed to wear that uniform,” the woman said loudly.

“I wear it proudly,” Mercado shot back before walking away."
A white person in Hawaii unloading on a Spanish speaker... how ironic.

« Reply #567 on: July 29, 2019, 03:06:21 pm »
You are echoing the hateful right-wing talking points of Hillary that has plagued her for decades.
This was a news article in which the journalist, who leans left, was talking about the impression of her daughter. Sorry but there's just a natural reaction people have. People can get on from it, but she is not naturally charismatic the way Obama is or Bill was.

Surely, that reporter should have been more worried about the stalker-like behavior of Trump during the debates?
The reporter can't notice two different things at two different times?

You are again under-estimating the reach of those Russian Facebook ads. The American electorate i.e. those who get their "news" from Fox News and Rush Limbaugh would swallow up those ads as if they were factual information.
Those ads were actually shown. We saw the quantified reaction in terms of likes and shares and my mom's anniversary post got more likes and some video of a guy doing bong rips in an Ikea got more shares.

Those who swallow up Limbaugh were already going to go out and vote Republican. Do you seriously think there were 80,000 Limbaugh listeners in Pennsylvania who were like "Well I wasn't going to go out and vote, but then I saw this facebook ad of Jesus high-fiving Trump and that changed everything!"

Get a clue. I don't understand why people are so invested in this idea that Trump won because of Russian facebook ads? Like seriously, how hard is it to admit that his campaign won because of his message and dissatisfaction with Clinton in a change election year?

« Reply #568 on: July 29, 2019, 03:29:50 pm »
They were paid a significant sum of money to do opposition research work. Sounds pretty affiliated to me.

https://www.thenation.com/article/questions-mueller-russiagate/

Any comment on them taking the 5th when questioned by Congress?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-18/executives-of-firm-tied-to-trump-dossier-won-t-answer-queries

FusionGPS doesn't want to show where its money came from
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/04/politics/fusion-gps-bank-records-house-investigation/index.html

FusionGPS has an extensive history with Russian-affiliated firms, including one that was being investigated under the Magnitsky Act. They were hired by the Russian firm Prevezon to help defeat the lawsuit filed by Preet Bharara for Magnitsky Act violations. Veselnitskaya, the lawyer who met with Don Jr., worked for Prevezon. Incidentally, Clinton had voiced opposition to the Magnitsky Act at the same time Bill traveled to Moscow and received a $500,000 speaking fee.

Now some of that certainly sounds sinister, just like the Trump Tower meeting can SOUND sinister. What in all likelihood was taking place was a bumbling desperate effort by Prevezon to try and make the lawsuit settlement as painless as possible and involved a shotgun approach of trying to get help from whoever, much of floundering and failing.

But it does raise serious doubts about the whole Russia collusion investigation.

Remember how Iraq WMDs was a bunch of people at the intel agencies trying to give politicians what they wanted to hear combined with shameless power grabbers like Ahmed Chalabi feeding the wildest rumors just to get what they wanted? Looks like the same thing here. A bunch of dumb people suckered.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 03:41:29 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #569 on: July 29, 2019, 08:30:52 pm »
They were paid a significant sum of money to do opposition research work. Sounds pretty affiliated to me.

https://www.thenation.com/article/questions-mueller-russiagate/

Any comment on them taking the 5th when questioned by Congress?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-18/executives-of-firm-tied-to-trump-dossier-won-t-answer-queries

FusionGPS doesn't want to show where its money came from
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/04/politics/fusion-gps-bank-records-house-investigation/index.html

FusionGPS has an extensive history with Russian-affiliated firms, including one that was being investigated under the Magnitsky Act. They were hired by the Russian firm Prevezon to help defeat the lawsuit filed by Preet Bharara for Magnitsky Act violations. Veselnitskaya, the lawyer who met with Don Jr., worked for Prevezon. Incidentally, Clinton had voiced opposition to the Magnitsky Act at the same time Bill traveled to Moscow and received a $500,000 speaking fee.

Now some of that certainly sounds sinister, just like the Trump Tower meeting can SOUND sinister. What in all likelihood was taking place was a bumbling desperate effort by Prevezon to try and make the lawsuit settlement as painless as possible and involved a shotgun approach of trying to get help from whoever, much of floundering and failing.

But it does raise serious doubts about the whole Russia collusion investigation.

Remember how Iraq WMDs was a bunch of people at the intel agencies trying to give politicians what they wanted to hear combined with shameless power grabbers like Ahmed Chalabi feeding the wildest rumors just to get what they wanted? Looks like the same thing here. A bunch of dumb people suckered.
I hire a landscaper to mow my grass. We're not affiliated.

That you want to continue with that narrative and now embellish it doesn't make it true. The big lie is your and dishonest don's stock in trade.

As for not showing where the money went, that fits trump to a T.

Meuller's investigation is in no way analogous to the hijinks the Bush-Blair crew got up to as they ginned up a war with Iraq. They were going to invade Iraq come hell or high water.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:39:52 pm by gogators! »

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #570 on: July 29, 2019, 08:42:39 pm »
This was a news article in which the journalist, who leans left, was talking about the impression of her daughter. Sorry but there's just a natural reaction people have. People can get on from it, but she is not naturally charismatic the way Obama is or Bill was.

The reporter can't notice two different things at two different times?

Those ads were actually shown. We saw the quantified reaction in terms of likes and shares and my mom's anniversary post got more likes and some video of a guy doing bong rips in an Ikea got more shares.

Those who swallow up Limbaugh were already going to go out and vote Republican. Do you seriously think there were 80,000 Limbaugh listeners in Pennsylvania who were like "Well I wasn't going to go out and vote, but then I saw this facebook ad of Jesus high-fiving Trump and that changed everything!"

Get a clue. I don't understand why people are so invested in this idea that Trump won because of Russian facebook ads? Like seriously, how hard is it to admit that his campaign won because of his message and dissatisfaction with Clinton in a change election year?
The media is just a susceptible to the narratives the right wing spins and put millions of dollars behind as anyone else. A good example is how they continue to interview white uneducated trump voters as examples of how "regular" Americans are thinking.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #571 on: August 02, 2019, 02:06:32 pm »
Republicans in Congress are jumping off the SS Trump before it sinks in 2020. They saw what happened in the midterms and see the writing on the wall. If you don't bow before the King then you're sunk by a tweet.

Expect more retirements before 2020.

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #572 on: August 02, 2019, 06:52:17 pm »
Im not so convinced political sobriety and propriety will come back in full swing again after Trump. Seems to me that he's right about 'winning at all costs' being the only thing that matters.
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #573 on: August 03, 2019, 03:36:50 am »
Im not so convinced political sobriety and propriety will come back in full swing again after Trump. Seems to me that he's right about 'winning at all costs' being the only thing that matters.
It will take some time, and a Democratic president and hopefully a Democratic Senate, before politicians think first and foremost about serving their constituents. But this is a republican party strategy that began with Newt Gingrich and was enlarged upon by Moscow Mitch, where their only goal was the failure of a Democratic president and the obstruction at all costs of any Dem initiatives.

If winning is all that matters, trump, a loser in business time and time again, would never have been elected. 

« Reply #574 on: August 13, 2019, 08:15:10 am »

What a wonderful humble president.