Read 6769 times

Magic School Bus Camp
« on: January 04, 2017, 01:23:25 pm »
i made these materials for my winter camp!
a waygook user (nadinea) was nice enough to share some magic school bus episodes, so i thought it would be fun to do a magic school bus camp.

each day we go over new vocabulary, watch the episode, do a summary worksheet, and then play two games and do some worksheets.

for this camp i'm teaching 3rd and 4th graders from 9am-12pm. usually every morning at 9 there's about 10-15 minutes used up for giving the kids hot chocolate and food. so we get started with the actual lesson around 9:15. first i go over all the vocab from the previous day. on the first day the intro ppt was a lot longer because i had to introduce the show and introduce all the characters. that took a good 20-30 minutes.

other than that, the intro ppts take about 10-15 minutes. my students are pretty low level so it's been taking around 15 minutes to go over vocab. and i usually go over all the characters again too because they forget their names a lot. 

overall i think the camp would probably be more suited to 5th or 6th graders but it could just be that my students are really really low level lol. it seems like they enjoy the show for the most part, but when we do the summary worksheet i get a lot of blank stares. so you might need to make it easier/harder depending on your students.

for this camp my co-teacher has insisted on using NO korean at all, so she never translates anything which is really frustrating. sometimes i really need her to translate directions or just explain the difference between two words but she never does. i don't really understand her purpose in the classroom since she does basically nothing, but oh well.

there's one day where she'll be leading the class because they're going to cook, but other than that the entire day is pretty much lead by me. i was worried that i would run out of material but so far it's been pretty smooth. i've barely used any of the worksheets so far, and the games usually last a pretty long time. i have about 14-16 kids for this camp everyday.

the last day is just review, so there's no worksheets or games. just a golden bell quiz. i think we'll probably watch a movie or just watch a couple random magic school bus episodes after golden bell is over.

everyday builds upon the previous day, so the games and powerpoints have vocab from the other days. i expect the kids to at least try to remember some of the vocab lol

i chose these episodes because they were the only ones available at the time. obviously now there's a lot more to choose from but i already had the powerpoints made so i just went with them. i actually had the episodes arranged in a different order, but my co-teacher made me change the order last minute even though i had all the powerpoints done :rolleyes: it was a pain to change everything but yea. that's why the episodes are in this order.

note: i have two games planned for each day, but on day 4 the second game is hangman so i didn't make a powerpoint for that.

i hope this can be helpful to someone!
i really wanted to actually contribute something to this site since it's been such a help for me!

all the episodes are available at this google drive link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzYV-GfRkWbrRlk4SW5wSy1paVU

i would suggest downloading them asap because nadinea is going to delete the folder sometime in march!

here's all the intro ppts and the summary worksheet for each episode.

Re: Magic School Bus Camp
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 01:38:51 pm »
the games for each day.

on day 4, the tv speed quiz game is a team game.

two teams play rock paper scissors. whoever wins get to pick a channel.
then one student from each team come up to the board.
a picture shows up on the tv.
whoever can write the correct word for the picture the fastest gets the point.

on day 8 i'm planning on going over all the animal names before playing charades.
i just didn't make a ppt for it. didn't think it was necessary.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 01:52:00 pm by trinity303 »

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 01:43:50 pm »
Tracing and coloring worksheets.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 01:50:33 pm »
Word search and crossword sheets.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 09:56:19 pm »
I. Love. You. So. Much.

• nadinea
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2014, 08:16:52 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 07:59:08 am »
I'll be leaving them up for the foreseeable future.  As of march I'm no longer teaching so IF i need space on my drive they will be the first to go.  So you guys have some time for now ;)

Also good work.  I wish this had been up earlier lol.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:23:06 am by nadinea »

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 10:32:24 am »
ok great!

lol yea sorry for the delay.
thanks for all the episodes! very much appreciated!

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 02:34:27 pm »
Thanks for the google drive episodes!  I want to do a Health and Wellness lesson for my summer camp and "Inside Ralphie" will be a great addition to it!

• kfreezi
  • Newgookin

• September 15, 2014, 08:33:59 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 12:03:28 pm »
You're saving my soul. I've wanted to show the Magic School bus to my kids for YEARS. This is gold to me thank you!!!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:23:05 pm by kfreezi »

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 01:40:49 pm »
You have seriously saved my life here. I will be using this camp plan for the first time next week and I would seriously be lost without it. I added a few extra things to it and I'm hoping it works out: added some arts and crafts and some "science experiments" to spice things up a bit for the kids. I'll be doing this with 3rd-5th graders so I'm hoping it goes well. Just wanted to say thank you, you really worked so hard on this and you have saved me from having a meltdown (it's my first year and I feel like English camps are the least explained part of our job so I had no idea what I was doing). Thank you!!!!!!  :-*

Also, I hope you don't mind...I'm helping out with camp at another school so I had to send them one big file for them to print out so I put all of your individual WSs on to one word document (but only for Days 1-6) and I thought I would attach it to this comment in case someone else needs to do this (it took quite a while to put it all in one document). On the original tracing sheets my printer was not printing the words out in gray so I also printscreened it and inserted the picture so it would print in gray. I also just added a "Camp Rules" sheet, title pages for each day, and I added/changed some of the coloring pages. All credit goes to you trinity303. I just put it together to make it easier if people need to send it off like I had to.  ;D (packet removed, sorry, you can find it elsewhere soon)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 02:43:17 pm by yoori16 »

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 01:56:27 pm »
Hey no problem! Really glad I could help you out!
Adding science experiments and arts and crafts is a GREAT idea!

Ughh, yea i feel you on the English camps!
everyone just expects us to know what to do, but we get almost no advice at all!

But yea, good luck with the camp! I hope it works out for you!
And thanks for putting all those files together. That'll be a big help for anyone else who might be doing this.

• ceeflooo
  • Newgookin

• August 26, 2016, 09:43:12 am
    • Seoul, Songpa-gu
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 03:04:12 pm »
You have seriously saved my life here. I will be using this camp plan for the first time next week and I would seriously be lost without it. I added a few extra things to it and I'm hoping it works out: added some arts and crafts and some "science experiments" to spice things up a bit for the kids. I'll be doing this with 3rd-5th graders so I'm hoping it goes well. Just wanted to say thank you, you really worked so hard on this and you have saved me from having a meltdown (it's my first year and I feel like English camps are the least explained part of our job so I had no idea what I was doing). Thank you!!!!!!  :-*

Also, I hope you don't mind...I'm helping out with camp at another school so I had to send them one big file for them to print out so I put all of your individual WSs on to one word document (but only for Days 1-6) and I thought I would attach it to this comment in case someone else needs to do this (it took quite a while to put it all in one document). On the original tracing sheets my printer was not printing the words out in gray so I also printscreened it and inserted the picture so it would print in gray. I also just added a "Camp Rules" sheet, title pages for each day, and I added/changed some of the coloring pages. All credit goes to you trinity303. I just put it together to make it easier if people need to send it off like I had to.  ;D (packet removed, sorry, you can find it elsewhere soon)

Where have you put the packet? I'm thinking of doing this camp as well and was hoping to check out your craft and science experiment ideas :)

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 03:22:45 pm »
(packet removed, sorry, you can find it elsewhere soon)

Where have you put the packet? I'm thinking of doing this camp as well and was hoping to check out your craft and science experiment ideas :)

heyy I'm wondering the same thing as ceeflooo here. Would love to see the changes you made as you assembled that packet (must be a giant file  :shocked: ). I would also like to give the students some crafts to do so am curious if I could build off of what you did (or possibly just straight copy you with your blessing lol). Anyways thanks in advance.

• Stefaneekaye
  • Adventurer

• August 31, 2018, 11:14:30 am
    • Dangjin, South Korea
    more
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 09:52:30 am »
So I'm reworking this camp using a few other episodes that were available from the download for a 5 day camp.

My materials list and lesson plan are below. As I finish my booklet and PPTs, I'll post them as well.

• Stefaneekaye
  • Adventurer

• Dangjin, South Korea
    more
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 03:11:41 pm »
Here is my booklet for camp for the 3/4 graders in word and as PDF (easier to print into booklet in my opinion).

I'll upload my 5/6 booklet (who are still very low level) and the associated PowerPoints after I complete them .

• Stefaneekaye
  • Adventurer

• Dangjin, South Korea
    more
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 02:00:32 pm »
Here is the booklet for 5/6

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 12:00:38 pm »
This is wonderful but I think the google drive is missing some of those episodes... Any way I can get the ones involved in the camp?

• Stefaneekaye
  • Adventurer

• Dangjin, South Korea
    more
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 01:48:36 pm »
Here are the PPTs for Days 1 and 2 for both grades 3/4 and 5/6

• Stefaneekaye
  • Adventurer

• Dangjin, South Korea
    more
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 03:59:36 pm »
Here are days 3 and 4. Day 5 will be uploaded tomorrow.

• Stefaneekaye
  • Adventurer

• Dangjin, South Korea
    more
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 07:36:35 pm »
Had a few technical difficulties, But here is day 5. Mud cake using pudding had to be changed to dirt cake using Korean custard cakes, whipped cream, oreos, mushroom biscuits, rock candy, and gummy worms (requested by my CT for next week) since finding pudding in this country is evidently impossible.

Now that I've done the majority of the camp (all but Day 5 which will be done tomorrow), there are a few things I want to stress.

Get quality bags for ice cream, otherwise the salt/ice water will leak and go everywhere. That salt water leaves stains on everything and the kids here white splotched monsters in their long padding. Yes it comes up with a wet rag, but that rag gets salty quick and makes more of a mess unless you can rinse it out or have access to a lot of paper towels. Also bring towels for leakage as the kids will get violent with their shaking. It's also much easier with small classes than larger (mainly in logistics of procuring and transporting that much milk and ice). Despite that the kids had a blast making it so I consider it a win. I'd recommend one baggy of ice cream for every two students split into cups as they ended up getting full quite quickly on them.

Bead crafting was hell. These kids, even with pictures, had the hardest time understanding the concept of how to string on the beads. Mentally noting to only use that with upper level students. Younger students loved The Magic School Bus, while older could care less in my school. I expected them to get tired of the same kind of reviews, but the repetition, especially with lower-level students meant they always understood what to do to earn stickers which has been a major success in getting some normal quiet students to guess as well. I hope if you use this camp that you take those specifics into account and adjust your camp as necessary.