Read 2484 times

Are Korean hagwons no longer offering return flights?
« on: December 27, 2016, 03:26:54 pm »
https://www.eslteachingonline.com/are-no-korean-hagwons-offering-return-flights/

Are Korean hagwons no longer offering return flights?

Article on the topic.  Some still offer round trip.  Many are offering one way.  As the writer says and I've said for a while now, ask for an extra 100,000 won a month salary for one way flight contracts.  Get the ASAP offers and ask for more salary.  Might be better to get paid more as you can leave when you want and buy the return ticket whenever instead of when the employer wants. 

I suspect the economy though not fully recovered is still better for Americans than it was in 2012 or 2013 when the companies tried to first pull this.  However, if there are still some accepting these offers, not much we can do unless the hakwons get more desperate for teachers again or find out who's accepting the bad offers and beat the crap out of them when they get here.  (Some old union jobs were like that if someone worked too hard or was a scab worker.)   No, I'm not actually telling anyone to be really violent. 

But if more folks dug in their heels or just said fine to let them save face but then got an extra 100,000 won per month over what they wanted, it would go better for those you looking for jobs.  Just sayin'. 

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
Re: Are Korean hagwons no longer offering return flights?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 08:09:10 pm »
2.1 million and no return airfare is insane! Fresh out of college kids eat these jobs up and don't even bargain or barter for better wages.

The new generation of waygookins just work and stay home too. I'm on an F6 visa and it's hard to find any good paying jobs because of these kids. Tutoring is hit and miss because an e2 will illegally tutor and lower the price per hour so that it's not even worth it to tutor.

Wages here won't increase and eventually flights will be removed altogether. It sucks!

• stan rogers
  • Expert Waygook

• August 03, 2015, 04:16:11 am
    • Jeju Island
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 09:44:43 pm »
Go to China. Go to the Middle East. Too many new people chasing yesterday's wages.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 04:59:03 am »
2.1 million and no return airfare is insane! Fresh out of college kids eat these jobs up and don't even bargain or barter for better wages.

The new generation of waygookins just work and stay home too. I'm on an F6 visa and it's hard to find any good paying jobs because of these kids. Tutoring is hit and miss because an e2 will illegally tutor and lower the price per hour so that it's not even worth it to tutor.

Wages here won't increase and eventually flights will be removed altogether. It sucks!
Getting 2.4 million every 4 weeks at an illegal cram school 20+ years ago teaching 30 classes a week (20,000 per class), no housing, no visa, etc. was easy.

The fact that employers are able to offer much less today and still find takers is quite the shock to this vet.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 05:24:56 am »
20+ years ago? When did you first come to Korea? 1,000 won in '95 was roughly $1.25. Now- $0.82. Plus there is inflation. Prices approximately doubled in the past 20 years. Maybe not quite in the U.S., but more than doubled in Korea? 2.4 back then would be more like 5 mil today.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 07:30:43 am »

The party crowd is going to Hanoi Vietnam and China. There the cost of food and cheap strong booze is more condusive to the way things were in Korea back in 1997. Also consider that ordering a plate of fried chicken or a double order of pork belly you pay more and get less. We are seeing far more education majors in Korea who don't mind staying in on Saturday night and planning lesson plans. They are working much better for worse offers because they don't know any better. Also more people are getting hired in country. Something that was unheard of even five years ago. The public schools are constantly laying off giving rise for a huge pool of highly qualified teachers who are in some cases victims of age discrimination and will stay put and interview again rather than go home.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 07:58:29 am »

The party crowd is going to Hanoi Vietnam and China. There the cost of food and cheap strong booze is more condusive to the way things were in Korea back in 1997. Also consider that ordering a plate of fried chicken or a double order of pork belly you pay more and get less. We are seeing far more education majors in Korea who don't mind staying in on Saturday night and planning lesson plans. They are working much better for worse offers because they don't know any better. Also more people are getting hired in country. Something that was unheard of even five years ago. The public schools are constantly laying off giving rise for a huge pool of highly qualified teachers who are in some cases victims of age discrimination and will stay put and interview again rather than go home.
Sorry, fish.  I don't agree with much of what you've written above.

Being hired in-country has been common practice for decades.

People come here and remain for a variety of reasons.  To say "they don't know any better" is simply not true.

Pre-Internet, job information was hard to come by, but now, it doesn't require much effort to be informed.

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 03:54:28 pm »
I'm starting to look into the money that is headed my way upon completing my contract. However, the total is looking too good to be true and it'd be great if anyone can confirm, correct or clarify.

Here's what I'm thinking I will receive at various points in February/March/April 2017:

-- 2,000,000 February salary pre-tax
-- 2,000,000 Severance (more or less equal to one month's salary)
-- 1,300,000 Exit allowance
-- 1,800,000 Pension (I read somewhere that it's 9% but I calculated this at 7.5%, just in case)
-- 500,000 Reimbursement of housing deposit

= 7,600,000 won

I haven't thought much about the total payments until now and I must say, I've got dollar signs in my eyes just thinking about it.

Any help is much appreciated!

2.0 million a month after or before taxes?

I earned more than that 10 years ago!

If you're  from the UK you don't get pension.

Yep, 2 million a month before taxes. Seems that I've read before that not raising the salary is quite a stain on EPiK's reputation. That amount seems doable if you aren't trying to pay off debt from your home country. Anyway, I got what I wanted/needed from the EPiK experience and it's time to move on.

And I should have clarified but I am from the USA.

2.0 million a month from Epik before taxes OMFG!

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 07:31:45 pm »
$1,652 a month / $380 a week / $9.50 an hour

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 10:07:00 pm »
$1,652 a month / $380 a week / $9.50 an hour

Assuming the exchange rate stays stable. A fluctuation in the markets could lower/raise the rate significantly.

EPIK is a government job so $9.50 is extremely low as the requirements for Epik keep getting raised and the number of jobs is steadily decreasing. EPIK should be paying at least bare minimum $20 dollars an hour. Epik Stil gives a flight to and from Korea but the pay is not worth it. You can't save much on a 2.0 million salary.

• Aurata
  • Expert Waygook

• July 10, 2016, 09:51:51 pm
    • Korea
    more
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 01:24:31 am »
most offers I see now are an insult.

When you weigh up all the pros and cons, amazing that people still come here.

Imagine your Korea...