Read 4166 times

Have housing allowance but want school provided housing
« on: December 27, 2016, 10:54:23 am »
Hello. I am currently with Gepik and I take housing allowance. I have been taking housing allowance for all of this year, but when I resign I want to change that.  My current place is 360k won a month and I want to change. It's on basement floor and I'm constantly battling mold in the winter time I don't want to be in my laundry room every weekend trying to keep my damp cold laundry room mold free. Instead of housing allowance I would like my school to provide housing.

I work in a different city than I work. I work in countryside, but I would like to live in the same city that I am currently living in. The problem is that the rent prices may be a bit higher, but not much. Does anyone know how much schools are willing to spend on housing? I know they gives us 400,000 for housing, but I know some areas like Gangnam the housing has to be far more than that so I think 400,000 is not as much as the school would spend if they pay themselves. Also that 400,000 is taxed so I don't even get that full amount. Anyone have any insight into any of this?

• myochum
  • Waygookin

• March 04, 2016, 07:24:32 am
    • Daegu
Re: Have housing allowance but want school provided housing
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 10:58:40 am »
Hi^^ How do you know that the 400 is taxed. Is it somewhere in our contract? I was planning on using the housing allowance, but if it is taxed, I may change my mind.

Thanks~

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 11:03:49 am »
That is a big ask, unless they'd be able to get a place that was already fully furnished, as the outlay for furniture and the key money/housing deposit won't be readily available.

You might have a better chance trying to change to a school that provides housing and is in need of a teacher, as schools are budgeted differently.

That said, the fact that you have only been here a year, it doesn't look so promising.

Best of luck.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 11:27:18 am »
That is a big ask, unless they'd be able to get a place that was already fully furnished, as the outlay for furniture and the key money/housing deposit won't be readily available.

You might have a better chance trying to change to a school that provides housing and is in need of a teacher, as schools are budgeted differently.

That said, the fact that you have only been here a year, it doesn't look so promising.

Best of luck.

Why would i want a place that was fully furnished? Why would I sell my things just to change housing? I could also help find the housing and help find a place with cheap deposit, and if need be I could even pay the key money myself. I just don't want the hassle anymore of going to pay my landlord and I want to change places anyways.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 11:45:30 am »
Sorry for not explaining myself well.

For those that don't take the housing deposit, the school is required to provide basic furnishings when they provide housing.

You mentioned that you have furniture, but please understand that your unique situation is irrelevant, as the school has to consider what is required for each (you won't be there forever, so if/when you leave, it will then be a budgetary problem).

Furnished housing or housing allowance are your options, right?

Many schools are "grandfathered" in to providing one or the other, the reasons it came about don't matter now, suffice it to say, most don't have the luxury or flipping back and forth.

I hope you are able to find a solution, as living in a damp basement place is terrible, not to mention a fire hazard, as most have bars on the windows, so if there is a fire and the door is blocked, you are toast (dwellings are required to have two exists in Korea).

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 12:31:33 pm »
Sorry for not explaining myself well.

For those that don't take the housing deposit, the school is required to provide basic furnishings when they provide housing.

You mentioned that you have furniture, but please understand that your unique situation is irrelevant, as the school has to consider what is required for each (you won't be there forever, so if/when you leave, it will then be a budgetary problem).

Furnished housing or housing allowance are your options, right?

Many schools are "grandfathered" in to providing one or the other, the reasons it came about don't matter now, suffice it to say, most don't have the luxury or flipping back and forth.

I hope you are able to find a solution, as living in a damp basement place is terrible, not to mention a fire hazard, as most have bars on the windows, so if there is a fire and the door is blocked, you are toast (dwellings are required to have two exists in Korea).

I understand what you are saying, but if I left the school and they needed to find a replacement they would still need to find housing. I am not even sure if the guy I replaced had his own housing or if the school provided it. If this benefit is a huge hassle then they should not offer it. I will be signing a new contract so I just want to change the way I receive my benefit. Something being inconvenient is not an excuse. 

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 12:55:22 pm »
Heard.

Again, I hope you find a workable solution.

• Archeon
  • Expert Waygook

• August 21, 2012, 02:36:28 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 01:13:39 pm »
Something being inconvenient is not an excuse.

...  To you perhaps.. but you have to convince your school of that, not us.
I will tolerate your existence only so far as it doesn't infringe on science.

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 01:52:35 pm »
If you want to move and you have key-money (the large deposit Korean landlords usually require) what's stopping you from finding a place yourself? It can be pretty intimidating but if you look around online you can usually find lots of places in your price range and desired location. I did this myself 2 years ago, when my Korean was still pretty terrible, by printing off the advert for the exact property I wanted and taking it in person to the 부동산 (real estate agency). It's much nicer then what my school gave me and they have no right to come snooping because it's rented privately by me.

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 01:52:35 pm »
Schools are budgeted differently. If you want to change to school provided housing, the amount paid monthly will not change. If your allowance is 400,000, then you must find a place that is 400,000 or less per month. Most schools may be able to help you by providing a small amount of key money, but Don't expect that to be more than 3 million won. Now, the school MAY be able to get a slightly better place, say at a villa (where there is a single owner to the building) for that amount of money, just because villas tend to have a higher turnover rate (or possible people not paying on time), and the owner will know that the school will pay on time (especially if it is government funded, aka. public school). Another thing is, you will have to talk to your school a couple of months ahead of time so that they can allocate the money and make the arrangements. You will likely only be able to do it at the beginning of your contract, so keep that in mind. If your contract renews in Feb. you should go ahead and start talking to them. They may give you a hard time since you want housing in another city. So, they will likely ask you to (or make you if you want to change) do all of the leg work if you want to choose another city (just keep this possibility in mind). If they provided it, it is likely that the first couple of months following, they will take some of your pay as a deposit, in case you tear up something that needs to be fixed later. Last thing, make sure that you are sure you don't want to live in your small rural town. I and a friend got placed in different areas, I was in the city, and she was in the sticks. For the same price, I got a studio with a small kitchen and a bathroom, and she got a three bedroom, kitchen, living room, large balcony and laundry area.

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 03:13:05 pm »
It sounds to me OP like you got your own apartment and can move anytime you wish since the school gives you the allowance.  The only thing keeping you there is waiting for the 12 month period on the lease to finish.  Find out when that is.  The other thing is how much you want to pay for key money.  A modern or semi modern one room depending on where it is will determine what you pay.  In the provinces, a modern one room will cost 3 million won for deposit.  In Seoul, it will cost 10 million won.  Rent in the provinces per month for a new one room is 300,000 won and about 500,000 won per month in Seoul.  Some landlords are trying to get away from deposits and only want a high rent - say 900,000 or more per month.  Others will ask for a really high deposit and no monthly rent.  A very new villa that is well built and insulated should have low utility bills and a landlord who will actually fix and take care of things.  An old building unsinsulated with cheap rent or no deposit required will have problems running the gammut from mold, to ridiculously expensive electric or gas bills, being charged extra fees like water (which I've never been charged in my newer building for the few years I've lived there), etc.

If you know you're going to stay for 3 or 4 years and can come up with a deposit or save your money for the first year, get a better place for the second year and beyond.  I'm glad I paid my 3 million deposit for my one room a few years ago.  I feel like compared, to my old dumpy buildings, in the countryside, I've gotten my money's worth with cheaper energy bills alone (let alone getting a 400,000 rent allowance and paying 300,000 per month for rent - SMOE pays 500,000 and will prob take all of that for a new villa). 

Most education offices don't want to pay key money and won't budget for it.  It's why some pay the rent directly and others that do get the schools to find a place have to struggle to find a place that will agree to not charge key money.  These are usually older cheaper, dumpy buildings with high inefficient utility bills.  So, if your school finds you another place, it will be a place of the same or similiar type of problems.  Free doesn't mean luxury.  As for hakwons, they vary in their housing (some good, some terrible, some give an allowance).  If you decide to stay in your place, buy a good dehumidifier.  (I actually have the opposite problem with it getting too dry with the winter heating and good insulation.  I wake up with dry throat and have had to buy a humidifier.)  Anyways, good luck whatever you decide. 

But prices can vary depending on where you want to live and also with some costs (inflation) going up. 

http://oneroomshow.kr/item/?dv=%BF%F8%B7%EB%5E%BF%C0%C7%C7%BD%BA%C5%DA&n_media=27758&n_query=%EC%84%9C%EC%9A%B8%EC%9B%90%EB%A3%B8&n_rank=11&n_ad_group=grp-m001-01-000000105952678&n_ad=nad-a001-01-000000001430163&n_keyword_id=nkw-m001-01-000000056270656&n_keyword=%EC%84%9C%EC%9A%B8%EC%9B%90%EB%A3%B8&n_campaign_type=1

https://www.zigbang.com/search/map?lat=37.54906&lng=126.9705&zoom=8

These taken from same website.  These ads look like older places that have had some renovation inside.  Prob a lot of that in Seoul.  Not many new villa towns like there have been springing up in other cities in Korea during the last few years. 

https://www.zigbang.com/items1/6915266

https://www.zigbang.com/items1/6732572

Small and modern and over a SMOE salary.

https://www.zigbang.com/items1/6757044

For $150,000 deposit and no monthly rent, you can have this newly renovated older apt.  Newness part looks nice at least. 

https://www.zigbang.com/items1/6863259

A small new place that charges 950 bucks a month with a one month damage deposit. 

https://www.zigbang.com/items1/6481859

(Earlier about what I said about landlords trying to get away from key money which use to keep the prices down.)  I could see Korea paying a set amount of money in the future and getting you to pay the rest.  Maybe you pay 500 bucks a month or something (emplyer pays rest)  and get a decent place with no key money required.  The nice places with no key will cost you.  Japan does something like this now?  You pay 500 to 800 bucks yourself and they pay the rest there?

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 03:19:21 pm »
Of course, you can get a modern one bedroom apartment (called two room here) for 1400 bucks a month with no key money required. 

https://www.zigbang.com/items1/6819939

Shame as it's becoming like Toronto.  Use to be cheap here.  It'd be ok if wages kept up but they haven't.  If you had to pay this price yourself on an esl salary, it'd be like trying to live in Toronto or Vancouver (even more expensive) on minimum wage.  It would suck ass big time.  Either that or live in a slum.  At least here in the slums there aren't thugs, gangbangers, toothless whores, and drug addicts. 

Either way the way Korea is going, it'll prob be soon time to train for a trade, something in IT, a specific field with very focused training, truck driving, supply chain chain manager, anything and get home.  The lifestyle many of us are accustomed to living won't be here 10 years from now.  Save your money, be frugal as hell, and be ready for the future. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 09:36:24 am »
It's "re-sign".  If you resign then you can do as you please.

If you ask your school to change from housing allowance (and getting your own place) and employer-provided housing they will probably say no.  It's a lot of effort for them, finding a place, arranging the contract, getting furniture, and so on.  Frankly you are better off taking the allowance and getting your own place, as you already did (but try and make a better job of it this time).  You are free to traipse around the estate agents or trawl through the property press to find something.  Start now and you'll surely be in a cool pad in March.

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 12:28:37 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls1YhhMHdNY

So, lt these companies hire and train to close the gap.  The biggest problem is that except in a general sense, most people don't know about them.  I'd do it for 100 K a year if the company would bring me on and train.  Companies did that years ago.  Why not now?  For the right money, I'm not fussy.  But don't offer garbage wages and then expect me to jump through hoops, sweat my ass off, and put up with all kinds of bullcrap.  Pay me well and I'll consider it.  There's no such thing as a job people won't do; there's just a wage people can't accept. 

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 12:34:12 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls1YhhMHdNY

So, lt these companies hire and train to close the gap.  The biggest problem is that except in a general sense, most people don't know about them.  I'd do it for 100 K a year if the company would bring me on and train.  Companies did that years ago.  Why not now?  For the right money, I'm not fussy.  But don't offer garbage wages and then expect me to jump through hoops, sweat my ass off, and put up with all kinds of bullcrap.  Pay me well and I'll consider it.  There's no such thing as a job people won't do; there's just a wage people can't accept.

Why not jump through hoops, sweat your ass off, and put up will the bullcrap? It's called work! What's wrong with working your way up from the bottom and into a position that pays well? I do believe this attitude it the problem with people today. You can't expect to be paid a high wage if you have nothing to offer in return. Pay your dues, give your employer a good ROI, and your wage will go up in time.

• Busan1
  • Veteran

• November 03, 2016, 08:02:48 am
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 12:21:36 am »
It will most likely be negotiable any housing with the school since housing is not a labour law requirement.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 02:57:51 am »
It may be possible to get school-provided housing when your next contract starts...but as we're talking about a public school, your input in the decision making will probably be null.

Which means you'll be at the mercy of the admin staff and/or your handler - if you're lucky, you'll get comfortable digs. If you're unlucky, you'll get a place that is similar to or worse than where you are now.

If you do decide to go the DIY route (again), here are some tips:

*NEVER trust images you see on real estate websites. Most of them (probably 90%) are bait and switch, especially in Seoul/Gyeonggi.

*NEVER take the first or second apartment/one-room offered to you by a real estate agent. They will often try to present the shittiest and most difficult to sell options as the only ones that fit your budget (400k per month).

*If you haven't yet, learn the units used for measuring homes (평). Always have a size in mind when you initially visit a realtor. If you don't, they'll only offer you the smallest and shittiest units.

*Use multiple realtors till you find what you're looking for. Big officetel buildings often have their own in-house realtors (usually on the ground floor). If you prefer smaller villas, there are multiple realtors in every neighbourhood.

*Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. As others have said, some landlords are willing to forego key money while others demand a fortune. Since you're outside Seoul, the odds are slightly in your favour - you can always negotiate for a lower key money payment or no key money at all. The smaller your town/city is...the more desperate the landlord will be to rent.