Read 1106 times

Pension/Health Insurance Issues
« on: December 22, 2016, 06:05:16 pm »
I have been working at this hagwon for 3 months and my boss does not pay into the National Pension Plan or provide Health Insurance. That being said, they don't deduct anything from my salary other than tax...
Is it illegal not to provide such services to a NET (F4 Visa)?

The management/boss changed within the first month and the new boss took my contract (the physical copy), so I can't use that against them. They took it because they wanted to make a new contract, but then said the previous contract was passed over. The previous boss didn't pay for NPP or sign me up for NHIS, so they refused to pay for NPP and NHIS. I asked for my physical copy of the contract and the vice principal supposedly misplaced it and said we'll go along with what the recruiter sent me. Obviously promises/words mean absolutely nothing without evidence.

This is obviously my fault for not being careful... but I want to know if what they're doing is illegal. If it is illegal, what part of the labor code are they violating?
I'd love to solve things amicably but the management ignore my messages and phone calls. I literally have no way of contacting these people other than through the phone because they're always absent or come in during class time.

The boss has always been late on paying my salary as well. The very first one (since the takeover) was 3 days late, then the next one (November's salary) was paid today, 12 days late. I had to complain nonstop via text for 7 days straight to get paid. There's been no explanation as to why my pay was delayed. What's funny is that some teachers were paid on the correct date while others still haven't been paid. At this point, I want to call it quits and leave this hagwon, but before I do... I want to see the boss get punished or face some sort of consequence/inconvenience (major or minor).

• JASinDaegu
  • Explorer

• March 06, 2012, 09:26:59 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
Re: Pension/Health Insurance Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 10:26:09 pm »
Yes, I would say you are in a bad situation...as soon as hagwons start paying you late, there is usually a larger problem going on behind the scenes. Also, pension is required to be match, unless you are South African (no pension scheme) or British (pay their share with no matching). As for NHIS, that was most likely written in your contract. Get a copy ASAP from your recruiter or school. No excuses. Finally, make sure your salary is being reported correctly to the tax office. You don't want to hear that they have been reporting incorrect figures to keep some on the side.

If they aren't going to meet these basic requirements, you need to know what the contract says about putting in resignation/notice of leave. You don't want to notify them too late and risk having them use your contract against you.

Good luck, but it sounds like you unfortunately got an untrustworthy employer. There are many other school positions you can take should you decide to resign. Just make sure you have your resignation done correctly and documented. Paper trails are your friend!

• JASinDaegu
  • Explorer

• March 06, 2012, 09:26:59 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 10:29:20 pm »
Another thing. Make sure the contract you signed isn't a skeezy version of a Korean employee's contract since you are an F4 visa. Gyopo? If you are working as an NET, get the standard NET contract.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 09:59:36 am »
You asked about this in October and got a lot of good advice then.

Call the labour board.  Explain your situation.  Ask them what to do.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 01:19:14 pm »
Another thing. Make sure the contract you signed isn't a skeezy version of a Korean employee's contract since you are an F4 visa. Gyopo? If you are working as an NET, get the standard NET contract.

I think I got the skeezy kind... cause it was different than what the recruiter gave me.  Again... my fault. I signed on hastily thinking it was the same as the recruiter's contract. This was sort of why I wanted to sign a new contract with the new boss. The recruiter is also ignoring my calls and texts. I don't think I can ask them for help.

I called the labor board and they told me to go file some report at my local office. The person on the phone wasn't very helpful, she couldn't answer my questions and texted me the number for the Gimhae labor board office (055-330-9519). I called this number numerous times today and yesterday, but it won't connect. There's no answering machine either.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 01:48:23 pm »
The recruiter is not interested in you.  Once he (or she) has his fee, he's done.

Call the labour board again.