Read 1075 times

I may have to change schools next year due to funding. I am considering going back the hagwon route. The thing is I don't want to give my references out for two reasons. One is I don't know yet about the funding, and two is that I don't want my references bothered unless I'm sure I want to work for a school. I message dozens of recruiters to see what kind of jobs out there, but I don't want to just give out the phone numbers of my references and have all of these people constantly calling them. Do you guys and gals think that I am coming across as a bit difficult if I refuse to give references to recruiters until I have had an interview and see a sample contract? I have been in this situation before and so many recruiters will call me and my references only for them to not actually have the job they said they had.

Re: Not wanting to give recruiters reference number until after interview
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 01:30:48 pm »
Do you have references letters? Usually they just want to see those, I haven't had any schools ask me for their phone numbers or email addresses and I've had a few interviews for jobs that I've turned down. You could also pop that at the bottom of your CV: references available upon request?

Re: Not wanting to give recruiters reference number until after interview
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 08:44:16 pm »
Definitely within your rights to curtail your resume and not leave contact info about references.  I made the mistake once of writing on my CV my work experience, including the city but leaving a very polite 'references upon request.'

The recruiter tracked down my current employer from naver, and contacted them directly before even notifying me, forcing my hand with my current employers at the time.  making for a very awkward and forced last month. 

So yes, don't include it.  Recruiters can be really tactless when it comes to this kind of stuff.