Read 2933 times

• Conner42
  • Veteran

• May 13, 2016, 01:28:37 pm
    • Oklahoma City
80 Students, No Technology...
« on: December 09, 2016, 03:54:35 pm »
Long story short, my school thought it'd be a good idea to have me teach this many students in one go. I'm honestly not sure what to do even with technology. And it's in an auditorium without any desks...They are not making this easy for me(though, they did make this a little easier because it was originally going to be 200 students  :cry:).

The reason why there's no technology is because it keeps failing and classes keep getting cancelled, but I don't want to give up on this class because of that. I need to try something at least.

So, I'd just like ideas. Some of these kids can use expressions and I was surprised by one of my students when we played Taboo(we were on a different schedule and I had a normal classroom during this time) and he was stringing together sentences to describe one of the words(too bad he used a taboo word). So, I'd say it's roughly a lower intermediate level on average.

I'd like conversational activities that I can somehow do without technology. I can print worksheets. That's as far as technology can go.

So...any ideas would be nice ^^
Remember: KEU-RAY-EUN-POP

Re: 80 Students, No Technology...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 07:45:09 pm »
Tell them no. Draw a line. That sounds absurd.

• maximmm
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2013, 11:02:44 am
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 11:46:52 pm »
Long story short, my school thought it'd be a good idea to have me teach this many students in one go. I'm honestly not sure what to do even with technology. And it's in an auditorium without any desks...They are not making this easy for me(though, they did make this a little easier because it was originally going to be 200 students  :cry:).

The reason why there's no technology is because it keeps failing and classes keep getting cancelled, but I don't want to give up on this class because of that. I need to try something at least.

So, I'd just like ideas. Some of these kids can use expressions and I was surprised by one of my students when we played Taboo(we were on a different schedule and I had a normal classroom during this time) and he was stringing together sentences to describe one of the words(too bad he used a taboo word). So, I'd say it's roughly a lower intermediate level on average.

I'd like conversational activities that I can somehow do without technology. I can print worksheets. That's as far as technology can go.

So...any ideas would be nice ^^

Do a yoga class - meditate for 4 hours - be sure to download some yoga music for this gig ;)

• Conner42
  • Veteran

• May 13, 2016, 01:28:37 pm
    • Oklahoma City
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 10:02:53 am »
Tell them no. Draw a line. That sounds absurd.
I tried getting it to normal classes and that was a bit of a fight. The 80 class thing was their compromise. But, yeah, you're right. The semester is almost over, so....let me see what I can do again :/

Do a yoga class - meditate for 4 hours - be sure to download some yoga music for this gig ;)
This is tempting....
Remember: KEU-RAY-EUN-POP

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 02:48:25 pm »
How old are the kids? 80 is a lot for conversational activities-- How can you keep up with that many students and see they are actually participating?

It might be fun to introduce them to some games like Red Rover or Wink Wink Murder that you can play with large groups.

• maximmm
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2013, 11:02:44 am
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 03:26:54 pm »
Oh - a few other ideas -

Bingo

Telephone (divide the class into 4 groups)

Golden bell I guess you'll have to announce questions?  (By the way, why is there no tech in the Gym?  Every school has a projector/computer set up for big events like graduation and such.)

BTW - here is a site which supposedly lists some ideas for big classes - http://monkeyabroad.com/27-esl-games-for-large-classes/

By the way, I do hope that you have 4 co-teachers helping you out during this class - in class of this size, you may have some major discipline issues when it comes to quieter activities, or activities where only a few students are involved and the rest are mere observers. 

• jumanjay
  • Explorer

• February 11, 2014, 07:45:39 pm
    • Chongqing
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 10:30:27 pm »
I teach 26 classes a week. Each class has around 70 students.

Games/always split into teams or boys vs girls, vocab/usage/roleplay, ss' choose a topic/choose other ss' to teach the topic for a certain amount of time, useful expressions/stupid situations/act it out using the expressions taught....

GL...