Read 5118 times

Is this normal?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:08:58 am by speakerfone »

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
OP,

What is the issue?  Is your place a mess?

Wouldn't you like to be able to see where you were to live prior to signing a contract for a year?

Sounds rather courteous of your school.

I would suggest for you to clean your room, if it's not (you are leaving anyway, so a nice precleaning will help you on your way) and schedule it at your convenience.

You will also be able to offer up some of your "stuff" that he/she might want...one person's garbage, another's treasure.

It's not dirty but just small and I have a lot of stuff so it's cramped. The visit will be a party of four people from my school. Just imagining these men looking through all my stuff makes me cringe.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
I'm just in disbelief that the new teacher actually gets to inspect the living situation so far in advance. At least you get to be present though, yeah? Back home my landlords could show off my apt (without my presence) to potential leasers if I wasn't going to renew. I was just paranoid of someone stealing something though.

I also didn't like them tramping about with their shoes on but as it was a rented space I was going to be leaving shortly thereafter, not a huge deal. Still though, cleanliness.

• rowdes
  • Veteran

• June 23, 2010, 02:37:28 pm
    • south korea
If I were the new teacher, I'd like to see the apartment in advanced too. That way, I can determine if I'd like to take the housing allowance instead.

I've had previous tenants enter my house. Don't worry, they won't go through any of your stuff. They will literally just look at the size of the rooms etc.

• walrus
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2011, 02:45:36 pm
    • Korea
When I came to my school years ago, the teacher I was replacing uploaded lots of her apartment photos on her office computer. I just looked at them, passed on the apt. and was given the housing allowance by the school. Maybe you could post your pics and that'll be good enough for the new teacher...

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
It's not dirty but just small and I have a lot of stuff so it's cramped. The visit will be a party of four people from my school. Just imagining these men looking through all my stuff makes me cringe.

Knowing some foreign teachers here id hide anything of value. They'll just take a quick glance but you could really deny them until 30 days before you leave depending on the housing agreement. Don't let them open any drawers or cupboards.

Make sure that you watch the prospective teacher at all times. Also I wouldn't say anything about leaving things because then you are obligated to leaving your stuff. In addition the new teacher could ask for the items on the spot.

Be careful!! 

• draco888
  • Super Waygook

• August 11, 2013, 09:11:35 pm

What makes you think anyone would want to look through all your stuff?

Would they glean any useful information from doing that?

• Andyroo
  • Expert Waygook

• February 09, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Korea
Re: Leaving my school and my replacement will inspect my apartment this mont?
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 01:04:10 pm »
If it makes you feel better, this would be a one off visit and with the future NET there I doubt there would be any funny business.

If you weren't being replaced and the owner was trying to find new tenants there would potentially be a lot more visitors and often with little/zero notice.

• solveit
  • Super Waygook

• December 09, 2014, 03:52:02 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 02:58:33 pm »
I'm sure they only want to look at the apartment itself, it's highly unlikely they'll have any want or desire to look through your stuff.

It sounds like your replacement is already in Korea, so they may well want to check out the apartment before they decide to take the job/decide if they're taking the apartment or housing allowance/ask for a different apartment etc.

Make sure the place is relatively clean and tidy, and don't worry about it.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 03:20:26 pm »
Oh EM GEE is your replacement so lucky to be able to do this!  I agree with everyone on here to please leave your place as emaculate as you can.  I'm saying actually clean!!!

If you don't mind I would like to run through a list of horror stories of how I had to move into pre-foreigner/English Teacher owned apartments as so you may avoid leaving a bad impression with the person who is replacing you.

At my first job ever here in Korea I replaced a male British teacher. In the apartment I found

-Food in the FRIDGE!  PLEASE CLEAN OUT THE FRIDGE OF EVERYTHING.  I don't care if you think we could just finish up your milk.  Not everyone likes what you like PLEASE LEAVE AN EMPTY FRIDGE!!! 

-Condom wrappers under the bedframe.  It's one of those Korean boxframes where you have to lift the bed and lift the frame.  So I can see how he could have missed that.  But still a nice deep clean of the apartment (I'm talking nook and crannies) including moving the funiture could have avoid that.   

My second job I replaced this very sloppy American girl.  Funny because by all apperances (athletic body, okay face) she didn't appear to be a slob.
- She thought dumping Clorox bleach in the middle of the one room was her idea of "cleaning."  Nope just made the room smell like bleach for a week. >:( >:(
- She didn't clean the bathroom AT ALL.  I had loads of fun cleaning the drains of her hairs.  She didn't throw away any of her toiletries And she apparently didn't know how to read Korean because I had 8 FULL BOTTLES OF different SHAMPOOS (I guess she kept buying one thinking she scored herself conditioner aka Rise but kept failing)
- I found melted M&Ms and Mentos behind the nightstand. GROSS >:( >:(
- And she thought she was being courteous by leaving a VAST MAJORITY OF HER STUFF BEHIND.  I had to haul massive amounts of clothes (that didn't fit me because we are different sizes) INCLUDING UNDERWEAR!!! 
-ONCE AGAIN EMPTY YOUR FRIDGES!!! SHE LEFT FISH AND OLD MEXICAN FOOD IN THERE.   >:( >:( >:(
- AND MOVE FURNITURE PLEASE!!  Hairballs galore! 

Third place I moved into (replaced another American girl) I TOLD THE GIRL (practically begged her) to at least clean out the fridge and clean the bathroom.
- She managed to do that much but left a lot of cat hair and kitty litter bits around the floor.  Otherwise I moved in without much need to vomit. 

My final place that I am currently at, I replaced an OCD/Organized to the 9s/sparkling clean South African girl. 
I really lucked out this time!  :laugh:

Other pet peeves I hated about moving into pre-owned foreigner apartments is PLEASE don't super glue (or use strong adhesive) to a map of the Seoul Subway system or a Map of Korea or the World.  This makes the place feel like a hostel.  Plus, you will most likey owe a smartphone once you are in Korea.  You can download the Seoul Subway map app in English and Korean.  No need to paste it on the wall.  And no need to be cute like Rocky from "The Mask" (80s movie starring Cher)  and post a big map of Korea/World with all the places you visited pinpointed.  If you are going to do that please be courteous enough to make it into a corkboard that can be removed.  Not wallpapered on!!  I understand if it's your first year in Korea but please know that if you are only staying for one year than don't put things on the walls that the next person is going to have the pain of ripping off.

Sorry, to rant but as someone who has replace some pretty dirty apartments THIS IS A MUCH NEEDED PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. 

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:45:09 pm by Piggydee »

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 09:33:08 am »
Oh EM GEE is your replacement so lucky to be able to do this!  I agree with everyone on here to please leave your place as emaculate as you can.  I'm saying actually clean!!!

If you don't mind I would like to run through a list of horror stories of how I had to move into pre-foreigner/English Teacher owned apartments as so you may avoid leaving a bad impression with the person who is replacing you.

At my first job ever here in Korea I replaced a male British teacher. In the apartment I found

-Food in the FRIDGE!  PLEASE CLEAN OUT THE FRIDGE OF EVERYTHING.  I don't care if you think we could just finish up your milk.  Not everyone likes what you like PLEASE LEAVE AN EMPTY FRIDGE!!! 

-Condom wrappers under the bedframe.  It's one of those Korean boxframes where you have to lift the bed and lift the frame.  So I can see how he could have missed that.  But still a nice deep clean of the apartment (I'm talking nook and crannies) including moving the funiture could have avoid that.   

My second job I replaced this very sloppy American girl.  Funny because by all apperances (athletic body, okay face) she didn't appear to be a slob.
- She thought dumping Clorox bleach in the middle of the one room was her idea of "cleaning."  Nope just made the room smell like bleach for a week. >:( >:(
- She didn't clean the bathroom AT ALL.  I had loads of fun cleaning the drains of her hairs.  She didn't throw away any of her toiletries And she apparently didn't know how to read Korean because I had 8 FULL BOTTLES OF different SHAMPOOS (I guess she kept buying one thinking she scored herself conditioner aka Rise but kept failing)
- I found melted M&Ms and Mentos behind the nightstand. GROSS >:( >:(
- And she thought she was being courteous by leaving a VAST MAJORITY OF HER STUFF BEHIND.  I had to haul massive amounts of clothes (that didn't fit me because we are different sizes) INCLUDING UNDERWEAR!!! 
-ONCE AGAIN EMPTY YOUR FRIDGES!!! SHE LEFT FISH AND OLD MEXICAN FOOD IN THERE.   >:( >:( >:(
- AND MOVE FURNITURE PLEASE!!  Hairballs galore! 

Third place I moved into (replaced another American girl) I TOLD THE GIRL (practically begged her) to at least clean out the fridge and clean the bathroom.
- She managed to do that much but left a lot of cat hair and kitty litter bits around the floor.  Otherwise I moved in without much need to vomit. 

My final place that I am currently at, I replaced an OCD/Organized to the 9s/sparkling clean South African girl. 
I really lucked out this time!  :laugh:

Other pet peeves I hated about moving into pre-owned foreigner apartments is PLEASE don't super glue (or use strong adhesive) to a map of the Seoul Subway system or a Map of Korea or the World.  This makes the place feel like a hostel.  Plus, you will most likey owe a smartphone once you are in Korea.  You can download the Seoul Subway map app in English and Korean.  No need to paste it on the wall.  And no need to be cute like Rocky from "The Mask" (80s movie starring Cher)  and post a big map of Korea/World with all the places you visited pinpointed.  If you are going to do that please be courteous enough to make it into a corkboard that can be removed.  Not wallpapered on!!  I understand if it's your first year in Korea but please know that if you are only staying for one year than don't put things on the walls that the next person is going to have the pain of ripping off.

Sorry, to rant but as someone who has replace some pretty dirty apartments THIS IS A MUCH NEEDED PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT.

The first place I worked, I replaced an American guy and he super glued a world map, Korean map, and a American map to the wallpaper. He also had those flag banner things hung up all over the room. Also he left food in the microwave and the fridge which was molding when I arrived. He also left used condoms and wrappers behind the couch. It was gross!!

• The Arm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2015, 09:15:02 am
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 10:26:00 am »
Other peoples' apartments here make me shudder  :-[

At the start of my second year, someone in our EPIK group moved into the apartment of a girl who was leaving.  It was the most disgusting pit I've ever seen.  How do I know?  The guy took pictures and posted them on Facebook, tagging her.  A real public shaming!

It looked as though it had never been cleaned in a year.  She was literally living in her own filth; dust everywhere, hair covering everything, a used bloody plaster on the floor... :huh:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 11:23:10 am »
i left korea and a new girl moved into my apt

i vaguely kept in contact with her and asked her how her year was going

i ended up moving back to korea, and somehow got my old job and apt back (as the girl was leaving)

i asked her not to sell the stuff i left her, but she could do whatever with anything else.

she said ok, and she'll leave some of her stuff and i can 'go through it'

i've never seen such a nasty, disgusting mess when i moved in

took me over 16 hours to deep-clean the place, and over 20 bin bags of shite. and it's such a tiny place

kept finding her old, unwashed underwear, mold everywhere, unknown stains and liquids, rusty, unwashed pots and pans in the cupboards

i basically through everything out (would have burnt it if i could) and started again

and she sold my ****** bed

christ, it still makes me angry

people are disgusting

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 11:38:37 am »
Too true, some people really are filthy.

I can't relate, nor would I care to try.

Home is our sanctuary.

That said, how a place is left is irrelevant, as it won't be cleaned to my standards anyway. All I ask is for you to take EVERYTHING with you when you leave.

Spending the first 2-3 days to clean and sanitize a place is worth every minute.  It's therapy and comforting to then know every inch is to my liking.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 11:53:08 am »
Even if a place looks spotless I still have to clean it myself for peace of mind.

Some of y'all have had to replace some disgusting cretins.  :huh: I was fortunate in that the place I moved into just suffered from some dust accumulation.

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 12:19:32 pm »
Even if a place looks spotless I still have to clean it myself for peace of mind.

Some of y'all have had to replace some disgusting cretins.  :huh: I was fortunate in that the place I moved into just suffered from some dust accumulation.

I'm the same, I clean everything even if it looks clean. I don't know the previous person and their life choices so even a room that looks clean could of been just washed with toilet water and full of germs.

I never use old dishes or utensils either unless they are glass or metal as metal utensils with wood or plastic handles can be filled with mold.

• The Arm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2015, 09:15:02 am
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 01:06:30 pm »
You've only got to look at the for sale section of Koreabridge to see the standard of cleanliness for foreigners here.

I'd be embarrassed if my possesions looked the stuff you find in there.  It's vile  :lipsrsealed:

This is turning into a rant but it blows my mind that people just don't give a sh*t and are happy to live like that with no shame whatsoever.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 08:29:28 am »

The first place I worked, I replaced an American guy and he super glued a world map, Korean map, and a American map to the wallpaper. He also had those flag banner things hung up all over the room. Also he left food in the microwave and the fridge which was molding when I arrived. He also left used condoms and wrappers behind the couch. It was gross!!

UGH he sounds like a real douche!!  Seriously what posses someone to decorate their   place like a TGI Friday's is beyond me.  And I agree with most people!  We have some people in the English teaching community that are wonderful teachers but just dirty people (based on some of the apartments I have seen) GROSS! 

I understand some of us can get complacent because most of us live alone and don't have guest over often but COME ON!  We all work too hard to come home to filth.  Take out your trash and do your dishes.  Buy a nice scented candle, incense, or hell just buy a glade plug in.  Because some of the houses I've walked into here smell like some BAD B.O!!!   :huh: :huh:

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 08:51:54 am »
My god, don't get me started. I had a real shitbag, who left his apartment for me; disgusting.

When I talked to him on the phone, he seemed like a nice guy, asked if I wanted his pots and pans, I said sure whatever... apparently he took that to mean, I am going to leave the apartment a total shit hole.

I show up, A WAFT OF ****** SMOKE pours out. APparenlty he smoked inside. It was so bad, the wallpaper was stayed yellow/dark grey, the vents (and the one in the bathroom) were black with tar and ash. The LIGHTS WERE ****** BROKEN, so apparently he had been living in the dark?? Heeps of trash EVERYWHERE!! like just the trail you walked through, and the kitchen area was so dirty, he was cutting shit on top of the build in dresser thing, leaving knife marks on the wood. There was cat vomit on the couch.... I mean jesus christ... He dressed like a complete slob as well... I was like no ****** way am I moving into this place. The school made him clean it out, but I had to wait for him to have lunch with his GIRLFRIEND WHICH HE SOMEHOW HAD, then he finally came back and he was able to fill 10 of the 50L trash bags with shit... take those out... then I had to have a guy come in and fix broken cabinets, broken lights and light switch, and had them re-wallpaper the place to get rid of the smell...

Of course at the end of the year, they kept my deposit for all the damage, Korea sparkling!!!