Read 258945 times

• krtastic
  • Veteran

• September 01, 2010, 07:52:39 pm
    • Naju, South Korea
Re: Harry Potter Camp
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2011, 12:09:13 pm »
Sorry the 5th and 6th grade workbook is the incomplete version. Here's the full version

• yawngin
  • Newgookin

• September 27, 2010, 07:42:02 am
    • Yongin
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2011, 02:17:54 pm »
I made my own potions thing.  I figured I'd contribute if anyone is interested.  It has 12 potions, and they're all things I bought from either the convenience store, or the little students candy/stamp/toy/stationery stores that are everywhere. 

Ingredients are:
Snake eggs - Cola ball candy (60 per sheet)
Powdered Unicorn Horn - Bubble jug bubble gum (powder bubble gum in a little orange jug)
Frog bones - sheets of little blue bone candy
Crushed beetles - Cola pop rox (wa-da-dak)
chopped daisy roots - jaya
crushed cow brains / crushed ladybugs - theres a half grape, half strawberry pop rox thing called dda-da-dak
powdered dragon scales/liver/heart/bone - there are packages of plastic tubes with green/black(Gray)/red/white powders in em, about 2-3 inches long called dal-na-ra
Dragon blood - cola
Beetle juice - blue powerade
Unicorn spit - purple (or whatever colro) vitamin water
Swamp water - pocari sweat
Aquaviva - chilsung cider

I bought one of each of the packages/sheets/bags of each candy for each house (4 students each) and 1 big bottle of cider, cola, and pocari, and 1 small bottle of powerade and vitamin water.  Total it cost about 12-15 bucks, so its cheap and it should suffice for the e ntire session of potions lessons (im doing mine over the 2 weeks).

I just poured all the stuff out into cups which were labeled so they wouldnt see what it really was (although I'm sure they knew) and removed the labels from the liquids.  Since they're all just mixtures of candies and sodas (except for the "daisy roots") they're perfectly fine for them to drink, albeit, maybe not the best tasting things. 
Here's the spell book:
Cheers!

• negacoca
  • Veteran

• October 04, 2010, 12:10:33 pm
    • Hwaseong, South Korea
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2011, 06:08:49 pm »
Here is a simple powerpoint about wands.

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2011, 11:36:12 pm »
Here is a bomb game, a role play, and a draw a movie poster activity.

Hope it helps someone this year, or for summer camp.

• karenology
  • Veteran

• October 03, 2010, 06:00:08 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2011, 11:26:36 am »
Here's one I made for History of Magic!  I'm making my Houses do daily cheer competitions, so there's a part in the middle of the powerpoint where I have them do that.  I also included the Potter Puppet Pals video in the last slide, and my kids looooved it so much they demanded a "replay."

Thanks to EVERYBODY who posted in this thread for making this camp a breeze!

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2011, 09:24:43 am »
This thread has been amazingly helpful. I too did a Harry Potter camp this winter and so I felt like I should add what I can.

There are a number of good websites to use for making wands, but unless you have unlimited materials most of them are useless. Here's how I made mine with my class.

Materials:
Printer paper,
double sided tape,
straw (preferably one that bends at the top)
glue (a glue stick works well, a glue gun and a glue stick are nice to have)
Markers for decorating your wand
paper clips
feathers
pipe cleaners
glitter is optional (usually very messy)

To begin, take the sheet of printer paper and lay it on the desk. Then take the double sided tape and run it from one corner to the opposite. Peel the covering of the tape off so that the sticky side is now revealed.

Take the straw and place it paralell to the tape at one corner. In other words, lay the straw so that the middle of it is resting just on the corner of the piece of paper without tape. Use the straw to roll the paper around it, creating a tube. Roll the paper until you cover up the tape, then stop.

Take the glue and glue the remaining face of the paper, then finish rolling. Be sure to apply a lot of glue so that it stays tight.

The straw should be nicely tucked inside the wand. If you can flick the wand to eject the straw, do that. If it is too tightly snuggled inside the wand, use another straw to prod it out.

At this point you can decorate the wand however you want. Some students preferred to decorate their wands before rolling it up, but this is difficult because you don't know which parts of the paper will be facing out after you roll it.

Once decorated, take a pipe cleaner and wrap it around the casting end of the wand in any fashion, I like to snake it around nice and tight.

Finally, take a paper clip and clip it inside the opening at the handle end of the wand. Next, take a feather by the quill end, and insert it through the opening of the clip, and then into the inside of the wand. Push the clip further into the inside of the wand to secure the feather. For most of you, you probably know why the feather is significant. Most wands, if not all, in Harry Potter, have a feather of some sort on the inside. If it isn't a feather, it's dragon's blood or Pheonix tears or something else.

Finally, take the straw, bend the top end, and slip it into the wand so that the shortened, bent end is hanging out. The straw acts as the spell that is expelled from the wand. With a flick of the wrist, the straw will come zooming out and flying across the room. Try it out while shouting a real spell from HP, like Expelliarmus!

The kids seemed to like it a lot, and they are easy to make.

Enjoy, and thanks for all the ideas/PPTs/Worksheets and advice.

Fletcher

• Taya
  • Veteran

• December 14, 2010, 07:59:09 am
    • Changwon, Korea
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2011, 11:37:57 am »
I'm doing the camp this week and it's working out fine so far. The first day we didn't have time to watch any of the movie. Making banners, spellbooks, and wands took longer than expected. Yesterday we did History of Magic with a flashcard competition, and then played "Steal the Snitch" for the Quidditch game. The kids are enjoying the Owl Post but it would be better if I could exchange with another school instead of just within the class.

Today is Herbology. I have a feeling that planting seeds isn't going to take up the entire 45 minute class.  :)

• karenology
  • Veteran

• October 03, 2010, 06:00:08 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2011, 12:07:37 pm »
Here's my Defense against the Dark Arts ppt.  Hope it comes in time to help people (sorry but I have a habit of not making lessons until the last possible minute!)

About the Harry Potter / Death Eater tag game:  If your kids are anything like mine, upon realizing that you're having them play "tag," they'll immediately run outside and commence a game of "hide and seek" without waiting to learn the rules.  I waited, until they were worn out with playing their version, to explain the rules properly and we're going to do it again tomorrow!  Even if they play it wrong, it's still a good way of expending their energy and making camp fun.

• danniv
  • Explorer

• September 14, 2010, 10:01:27 am
    • Guri
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2011, 01:29:05 pm »
Made kimbab today. Ingredients = magical parts... i.e. spinach is gillyweed. egg is centaur brains....

• Rowanteacher
  • Featured Contributor

• October 15, 2010, 07:51:21 am
    • Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2011, 02:35:08 pm »
Something I prepared for my camp which is going down very well is Harry potter top trumps. The idea is you have cards for various characters in the films giving them numbers for various attributes (magic, courage, temper, cunning, wisdom).

The students have a pile of cards, they all take their top card and take it in turns to choose one attribute, all the players read out the number for that attribute and the one with the highest number wins everyone elses card (they go to the bottom of their pile).

Repeat until one player has all the cards or until they're bored.

The cards are designed to be doublesided so page 8 of the word file should be printed on the back of all the other pages, they look best if the sheets are laminated and cut out afterwards.

• negacoca
  • Veteran

• Hwaseong, South Korea
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2011, 10:54:18 pm »
Just in case anyone is horrible with oragami like me, I used these videos. For the unicorns, i just added a horn at the end with some colored paper that we twisted.

www.videojug.com/webvideo/how-to-make-an-origami-paper-horse

I just found a cool and simple way to make horns for the origami unicorn.  I just made this origami candy cane, but with a very small piece of paper, and obviously without twisting the end into a cane shape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66_TJpW_ma0

• s0nflwr
  • Waygookin

• June 25, 2010, 12:46:36 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2011, 10:58:47 am »
Hey Everyone!
I'm doing the harry potter camp this week and it has been FANTASTIC!!!
the kids are having a blast and it's been fun for the teachers as well!
Playing the snitch game RIGHT NOW :)
hahaha while I watch, i thought that I need to contribute to this AMAZING site and thank everyone for their amazing ideas :)

Our school made a workbook for the kids.
I'll upload as a pdf just so that the fonts won't break it up, but if you're interested please let me know and i'd me more than happy to send you the original copy :)

I definitely used a lot of things from this site as you'll be able to see in the workbook.
3rd-4th will have more korean in the explanations than the 5th-6th grade but most of it is basically the same.
I hope this helps some of you when you prepare! :D

I'm also attaching the classes that I taught. I basically used the same outline as everyone else's but I just added a few more things that I used for my class :)

AND for the folding snitch, I separated the pdf so that the kids can look at the instructions while making it together!
Gosh, i feel like i should upload more and if i have more, than I definitely will! :D

• smolynl
  • Newgookin

• May 18, 2010, 02:18:34 pm
    • Yeosu
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2011, 11:14:40 am »
This is a mario game i made using some of the vocab I covered with my students over the past couple of weeks. Thanks to Daejeon for the amazing template! The students loved it.

• negacoca
  • Veteran

• Hwaseong, South Korea
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2011, 11:19:06 am »
Here is an idea for anyone who is trying to adapt this camp for small kids, like first and second graders.  It is an adaption of the Harry Potter game from Genki English.  It does not require much speaking, and can be played inside without a ton of space. It is like the Harry Potter game crossed with Duck, Duck, Goose. 

I arranged some chairs in a circle facing outward.  One student (a more advanced one) is "Voldemort."  She walks around the circle, pointing to each student (Harry) and saying cat, cat, cat, dragon (or whatever terms you want to insert).  When she says "dragon" the student she points to runs around the circle.  She chases the student around the circle.  If she catches him before he makes it around the circle one time and back in his seat, she gives him an order.  She can say "run" "eat" "play" etc.  He is stuck in one spot, doing the action.  At this point, I loudly say "he is running."  Then, the girl who is "Voldemort" goes back to walking around the circle saying "cat," "cat," "cat," "dragon."  The boy who is stuck can be freed if another student tags him while the student is running around the circle away from Voldemort.  But, if Voldemort tags either of them before they reach their chair, they are stuck doing an action again.

I hope you can understand this game.  I know my instructions are confusing, but I think the rules are pretty intuitive.  I am not doing a Harry Potter camp with my first and second graders, but I played this game today, and they really enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:20:57 am by negacoca »

• nzaslow
  • Veteran

• November 17, 2009, 08:46:51 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2011, 11:30:33 am »
Today while my students were working on their house banners, I played "Harry and the Potters" music on grooveshark. Most of the songs are simple to understand. Just an idea if you wanna play HP related music.

Here's an example song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PafwCn_kOXI

1st/ 2nd graders
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2011, 03:17:16 pm »
I am just wrapping up my first week, and I am happy to say that I have had full attendance for every day (a first).

Therefore, I would like to submit my PPTs for my 1st/2nd graders.

• KiddieCAT
  • Veteran

• October 02, 2010, 11:38:27 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2011, 09:02:26 pm »
Has anyone had a successful Herbology activity? I'm going to teach it with my 4th graders, so I'm looking for something basic, but not just a coloring page.  I was thinking about using this site http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/plants/books/sproutingbean/ for the the bean sprouting book, but if someone had a fun activity (better than watering a baby plant which was my sad original plan) I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!

• amycock
  • Veteran

• May 20, 2010, 10:53:42 am
    • Pohang S.Korea
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2011, 09:09:54 pm »
A Harry Potter character guess who game and an exercise on superlatives and comparative.

• s0nflwr
  • Waygookin

• June 25, 2010, 12:46:36 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2011, 10:25:38 pm »
Has anyone had a successful Herbology activity? I'm going to teach it with my 4th graders, so I'm looking for something basic, but not just a coloring page.  I was thinking about using this site http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/plants/books/sproutingbean/ for the the bean sprouting book, but if someone had a fun activity (better than watering a baby plant which was my sad original plan) I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!

one of my teachers did the herbology class and from what I recall she taught a few words on planting, then allowed the students to make up their own plant name..
then she got a few things like soil, seeds and a little cute paper cup and let the kids make their own plants.. cute idea. :)

• mdbaber
  • Newgookin

• December 30, 2010, 09:37:50 am
    • Daegu
Re: Harry Potter Camp:EMERGENCY!!
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2011, 10:52:15 pm »
I've been using information from this forum to teach a Harry Potter Camp at my school. The only problem is that I can't get a hold of the Harry Potter movie. Does anyone know how I can get a copy of the movie ASAP offline? I've been searching EVERYWHERE and still no luck :( I hope to show the video tomorrow during class around 9am, any help is appreciated!!! Thanks