Read 2119 times

Start Dates for Hagwons
« on: November 22, 2016, 04:19:08 am »
Hello!

I am currently working with two recruiters to find a position to teach in Korea in addition to doing some of my own searching through Waygook.org

I have one recruiter who is telling me that Hagwon jobs aren't hiring until February/March and another recruiter who has found open positions that need teachers ASAP.

I've been looking for a while and don't want to wait until February/March for a job.

Can someone enlightenment a bit more about the start dates and if it is possible or not to find positions before February/March.

Thanks!

• MWeb37
  • Super Waygook

• February 11, 2012, 10:24:08 am
Re: Start Dates for Hagwons
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 08:10:27 am »
You can find positions, it's just not as easy.

Typically, you'll be finding positions based on people who are leaving at this time of year, or have replaced people who have left this time of year. Although people leave early for many reasons, the bulk of vacancies at this time (this close to the new school year) are probably a result of situations you don't want to get involved with.

TL;DR It's possible now, but you'll have much better chances for a decent job in March/February.

• Whatgook
  • Super Waygook

• October 06, 2015, 11:46:12 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 08:16:40 am »
Hello!

I am currently working with two recruiters to find a position to teach in Korea in addition to doing some of my own searching through Waygook.org

I have one recruiter who is telling me that Hagwon jobs aren't hiring until February/March and another recruiter who has found open positions that need teachers ASAP.

I've been looking for a while and don't want to wait until February/March for a job.

Can someone enlightenment a bit more about the start dates and if it is possible or not to find positions before February/March.

Thanks!

Public school, after school programs and University positions tend to crop up more late February and late August, but hagwon positions are all year around. Best bit of advice is seriously, F**k your recruiters. Don't believe a single word they say, they are only after filling the position. They do not care about you or the school. Do your research on every school they offer you, and if they try to push you into a position because 'there isn't much else around' etc, Say thank you and goodbye There's a gazillion recruiters out there don't be stuck with just one or two.

Good luck!

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 01:17:52 pm »
A) public schools who do direct-hires are probably looking for people right about now, to start in March

B) organized hagwons will be looking for March start people right about now, but not many are organized. Most are probably just getting around to asking their current hires if they want to renew or not.

C) most hagwons will probably start asking around for March jobs around the middle or end of January, or early February.

D) a job that is vacant now probably means the previous teacher quit, and there's probably a good reason for that. It would be a warning sign.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• m.corless
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 11:51:09 pm »
A) public schools who do direct-hires are probably looking for people right about now, to start in March

B) organized hagwons will be looking for March start people right about now, but not many are organized. Most are probably just getting around to asking their current hires if they want to renew or not.

C) most hagwons will probably start asking around for March jobs around the middle or end of January, or early February.

D) a job that is vacant now probably means the previous teacher quit, and there's probably a good reason for that. It would be a warning sign.

I second all of this^^^

Also recruiters working with hagwons work directly with specific schools/franchises/companies. So if a recruiter is saying the schools they work with are hiring for Feb/March at the earliest, they aren't lying. They just aren't in business with any schools that want a teacher asap. As was mentioned above, "ASAP" shows lack of planning or a recent/unexpected vacancy...buyer beware.

• Whatgook
  • Super Waygook

• Busan, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 08:02:28 am »

I second all of this^^^

Also recruiters working with hagwons work directly with specific schools/franchises/companies. So if a recruiter is saying the schools they work with are hiring for Feb/March at the earliest, they aren't lying. They just aren't in business with any schools that want a teacher asap. As was mentioned above, "ASAP" shows lack of planning or a recent/unexpected vacancy...buyer beware.

Not necessarily though. Of course this is the case sometimes, but people here have to leave for a huge number of reasons. For example, my job rocks, sponsored public school 3.2mil, but I have to head home early Jan for family reasons. My replacement is utterly delighted to have scored the gig, as its so much better than what he was making with EPIK. If it's an 'unusual starting time', just do a little more research to ascertain the reason. 

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 08:07:27 am »
Jobs that are hiring RIGHT NOW and want you RIGHT NOW (aka we booked you a flight for this weekend) mean that they probably had someone pull a runner or quit.  It's not a good sign for a hakwon that is desperate to have you on the first plane to Korea. 

• Whatgook
  • Super Waygook

• Busan, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 08:29:45 am »
Jobs that are hiring RIGHT NOW and want you RIGHT NOW (aka we booked you a flight for this weekend) mean that they probably had someone pull a runner or quit.  It's not a good sign for a hakwon that is desperate to have you on the first plane to Korea.

Yeh true story. And if they do, ask for the email/contact details of the person you're replacing. If they say that's not possible, and the recruiter pulls this 'ooo it'll make the old teacher uncomfortable' bullshit. There's another huge red flag for you right there.