Read 1833 times

EPIK Contract ending but going to work in Japan HELP!
« on: November 17, 2016, 08:02:45 am »
Okay, so I don' know if anyone else has done this or is interested in this. But after my contract ends here in Korea I plan on immediately going to work in Japan (not as a teacher). I'm wanting to know if I still get my pension and severance? That I don't have to special apply for any paper work because technically I am not going back home to my home country (usa). My next job will be paying for my flight from Korea to Japan and it will be much cheaper for them to pay for a flight ticket from Korea to Japan vs. America to Japan.

Re: EPIK Contract ending but going to work in Japan HELP!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 10:11:31 am »
Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but I'm just curious about what kind of work you found. I'm looking to move to Japan as well.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 10:36:20 am »
There's no reason you shouldn't get your pension and severance if you're going to Japan or any other country as long as you completed your contract and were working legally.

As far as the Exit allowance goes here's what the sample EPIK contract says:

③ If the Employee successfully completes his/her duties set forth in this Contract for the full Term of Employment specified herein, the Employee shall be entitled to an Exit allowance of 1,300,000 Korean Won (KRW). 

Nothing about having to go to your home country, or even airplane tickets. You just get the cash and do with it as you see fit AFAIK.

You should check your contract for the exact wording, though.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 02:30:46 pm »
Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but I'm just curious about what kind of work you found. I'm looking to move to Japan as well.

I'm going to be working as a horse trainer on a farm around 1-hour out from Tokyo. :]

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 02:51:20 pm »

I'm going to be working as a horse trainer on a farm around 1-hour out from Tokyo. :]

THAT IS SO COOL IT MERITS CAPS-LOCK. Seriously sounds super awesome. Best of luck to you!

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 03:29:47 pm »

부럽다...

Enjoy your time there. It looks like I'll be stuck as an ALT for a year because of the hellacious JET application process :(

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 08:47:24 am »
Yeah I was interested in being a teacher in Japan in college. But then looked into the work to being one and relalized when it comes to Japan I only want to work with horses or not work at all.