Read 4384 times

• Aurata
  • Expert Waygook

• July 10, 2016, 09:51:51 pm
    • Korea
    more
Korean staffroom layout
« on: November 16, 2016, 10:37:17 pm »
I've worked at two schools here and both have the same claustrophobic seating arrangements.

Basically the manager seems to arrange the staffroom to stifle conversation and give him total control over all staff.

Nobody is allowed any privacy. All the teachers computer screens are visible to the boss at all times, so nobody can idly browse facebook.

There are no tucked away or partitioned desks. Everything you say or do can be seen and heard by everyone else at all times.

its like north korea.
Imagine your Korea...

• Somebody
  • Super Waygook

• May 04, 2012, 01:55:20 pm
    • Suwon
Re: Korean staffroom layout
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 10:40:02 pm »
You will see not many differences between the two, with the exception of killing.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 09:08:27 am »
Thank the lawd I have had a classroom at both of the schools that I have worked at. Both schools asked that I do work at my desk in the main office, however, I told them that us as native teachers are always working on paper based projects, and activities that require a lot of set up, so that requires me to use the extra space that the classroom provides. Even during vacation, I just told them that I have too many materials to transport from the classroom to the office. They just didn't speak of it anymore, as long as I pop by the office a few times a day and say hello, and maybe a couple of times looking really busy.  :P However, at my first school, the layout was so that the VP could see most people, but there were a lucky few that had desks facing the opposite way. Then at this school, the Vp sits facing straight, and most teachers are kind of perpendicular, so they are kind of out of view. There is also a second teachers office, and they are considered luck because no one pays attention to them. However, they usually aren't included in snacks and such, I guess out of site, out of mind. ( It is the same for me sometimes because I am always in the classroom, but I will take that sacrifice )

• HaLo3
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 02, 2014, 08:19:08 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 09:55:36 am »
I guess I have just had it lucky at all my schools because I have never had a desk or office set up like that. Other than my current school, I have always been in a separate English office with 1 other teacher and  never in a way that they could peep on (not that they cared) what I was doing.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 10:38:28 am »
None of my four schools are like what OP described, thankfully.

Only one of my schools even has a VP (elementary), and in that teacher office she sits opposite from some of the staff so nobody can see the other's computer unless you deliberately go and peer around the short cubicle partitions.

My other elem. there's an English room and the main office is just like 3 people sitting in a row.

At both my middle schools the desks are just set up in rectangles; you can't see the computer screen across you but you can see the screens next to you or behind you if you turn around.

• oli125
  • Adventurer

• November 23, 2015, 07:53:56 am
    • south korea
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 10:43:45 am »
Same..my middle school office is cramped, too. What makes it worse is that the other teachers bring in hordes of students each break. I never once went in to the faculty office when I was at school!

• Loki88
  • Expert Waygook

• July 25, 2014, 08:41:07 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 11:38:58 am »
Double rows of desks that are arranged in inward facing cubes of four. I share one cube with my three CTs. Our computers are in the corners so they face the middle but everyone else is facing away.

It's actually much better than the previous set up as I can just lean over go psst and ask what I need to.

(I would previously try to do everything through messages until one CT had a bitch fit about it. At which point I ended up walking through hells half acre to ask a simple question.)

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 11:40:16 am »
Clearly the manager is a globalist who wants to prevent you from getting updates from Russia Today.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• devsterl
  • Super Waygook

• February 29, 2016, 06:47:07 am
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 11:52:03 am »
I just sit alone in my own classroom with the monitor facing away from windows and the door.

P.S. I'm NOT looking at R rated material. Just the occasional Youtube video or quick round of age of empires 2 and or Red Alert 1 during desk warming (and after getting lesson resources ready)... ;D

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• Korealand
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 12:17:33 pm »
Age of Empires II!! Man, that's the stuff.

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 12:49:49 pm »
There are 8 teachers in our office - 4 Koreans and 4 waygookins. When the ladies disappear to eat 떡볶이 or something, the guys all fire up Starcraft: Brood War. Our boss is actually the main instigator (probably because he is the best player :()
I never finish anyth

• devsterl
  • Super Waygook

• February 29, 2016, 06:47:07 am
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 01:47:16 pm »

WOLOLOOOO

• Hau5fly
  • Veteran

• March 16, 2015, 04:06:54 am
    • London
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 01:50:49 pm »
anyone know how to play age of empires online at school with the game?
 lol

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• Korealand
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 01:55:13 pm »
Lol I would love to play AoE online. Sadly, I can't even play it on my computer though I installed it via Steam. I think I'm missing something but the popup telling me what is wrong is all in Korean.

Tried to play it via winebottler on my macbook. No such luck  :cry: (other games like Ori & the Blind Forest and Setsuna work fine that way though)

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 01:55:55 pm »

WOLOLOOOO

워요
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 01:57:06 pm »
I've worked at two schools here and both have the same claustrophobic seating arrangements.

Basically the manager seems to arrange the staffroom to stifle conversation and give him total control over all staff.

Nobody is allowed any privacy. All the teachers computer screens are visible to the boss at all times, so nobody can idly browse facebook.

There are no tucked away or partitioned desks. Everything you say or do can be seen and heard by everyone else at all times.

its like north korea.

Yeah, it's totally like North Korea you special snowflake. Or you know, pretty much most jobs where the boss keeps an eye on everyone.

What exactly is the boss spying on you about? The games you aren't supposed to be playing or the social media you're supposed to be using during breaks or outside of work? Is he spying on your lesson plans with his telescopic glasses that let him read your 12 pt. text clear from across the room?

What a joke.

And get a clue, 9/10 Korean bosses don't care. Just have two windows running and if he asks, mumble something about dinner plans or your sister messaging you with some problem.

• Hau5fly
  • Veteran

• March 16, 2015, 04:06:54 am
    • London
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 02:10:53 pm »

its like north korea.

Yeah, it's totally like North Korea you special snowflake. Or you know, pretty much most jobs where the boss keeps an eye on everyone.

What exactly is the boss spying on you about? The games you aren't supposed to be playing or the social media you're supposed to be using during breaks or outside of work? Is he spying on your lesson plans with his telescopic glasses that let him read your 12 pt. text clear from across the room?

What a joke.

And get a clue, 9/10 Korean bosses don't care. Just have two windows running and if he asks, mumble something about dinner plans or your sister messaging you with some problem.

wait are you scolding him or helping him? haha backhanded advice?

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 02:23:49 pm »

its like north korea.

Spent much time teaching, or even visiting a school in North Korea to make a comparison?

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• Korealand
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 02:59:33 pm »

WOLOLOOOO

워요

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 03:08:01 pm »
At my main school, we have our VP directly opposite the main entrance to the staffroom with 3 sets of cubicles running down the office, 1 set is for the languages and special ed teachers, one set is for the student discipline and help teachers and 1 set is for the other teachers. The 3 head teachers sit facing the front door like the VP and the rest of us sit with our sides to them. We all face 1 other teacher, and have cubicle walls which are magnetic so we can post notes on our walls. Its a good place to work.

In the second school, I work in the library. My desk got taken away my second year at that school for the special needs teacher who came in with a special needs student. I have no qualms about it.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!