Read 1909 times

• JustJay
  • Waygookin

• October 23, 2015, 05:31:18 pm
    • South Africa
Good afternoon.

I spent this year with EPIK teaching in Busan. I decided to not renew cause I have gotten another job at a private school. I finish my contract on the 25th and I start at my new school on the 1st of March.

How does the severance pay/exit allowance work? Are they different? If I am staying in Korea do I still get an exit allowance?

I will need to switch my visa to the new school next year sometime. Does anyone have a list of what documents are needed and where to go? I will ask the BMOE to return my EPIK documents for my visa application.

Thanks for any help!

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
Re: Leaving EPIK starting a private school job help with procedures?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 03:08:58 pm »
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm fairly certain EPIK don't return any documents. So I'd get new ones ASAP.

I hope that someone can tell me I'm wrong here! (especially since I'm probably going to be in the same boat as you at the end of my first year.)

Aside from that I'm not too sure.

• JustJay
  • Waygookin

• October 23, 2015, 05:31:18 pm
    • South Africa
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 03:26:27 pm »
Well,  not EPIK but I have heard of the offices of education returning documents for when you leave the public school system.

Working off this it suggests that new documents are not required if you transfer your visa status while within your visa and arc valid contract period, but I don't know for sure...

http://www.korvia.com/e2-visa-instructions-for-transfering-teachers-korvia-guide/

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 03:28:26 pm »
Oh brilliant :) I had no idea.

That's good news fingers crossed that's right! :)

• pit23
  • Adventurer

• October 19, 2010, 08:33:50 pm
    • KR
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 03:35:53 pm »
I did this exact thing a few months ago, EPIK to private. EPIK will give you certified copies of all your documents. Those are good enough for getting the visa with your new school. Unfortunately if you do ask for those they will not give you the exit allowance. You asking for the documents means you aren't leaving the country so you don't get an exit allowance. I argued a bit about that with my coordinator but got no where. You will still get your severance as that is separate from the exit allowance.

• poppy
  • Veteran

• May 07, 2010, 12:33:32 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 08:02:21 pm »
I did this last February - I changed from public school to private in a different city.  The Office of Education that you work for (EPIK is just the recruiting agency not your employer) will give you copies of all your documents. As the above poster mentioned if you ask for your documents you will not get your exit allowance - just severance (at least that was the rule in Daejeon). However, I didn't need any of the documents.  My new boss just took my passport, ARC card, contract and school papers like their registration number and transferred my visa.  I didn't even need to go to immigration, she was able to do it all without me.  They have made it much easier than it used to be a few years ago.  If you have a long waiting time between jobs it might be a different story.

• metzy244
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2013, 02:52:52 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 09:05:48 pm »
I did this last February - I changed from public school to private in a different city.  The Office of Education that you work for (EPIK is just the recruiting agency not your employer) will give you copies of all your documents. As the above poster mentioned if you ask for your documents you will not get your exit allowance - just severance (at least that was the rule in Daejeon). However, I didn't need any of the documents.  My new boss just took my passport, ARC card, contract and school papers like their registration number and transferred my visa.  I didn't even need to go to immigration, she was able to do it all without me.  They have made it much easier than it used to be a few years ago.  If you have a long waiting time between jobs it might be a different story.

Poppy is exactly right. have your main co-teacher / handler reuqest official copies from your office of education.  Any new job will accept those.  You get your 1 month completions bonus, but if not leaving the country no exit allowance, which is fair. 

AND most teachers pay into a pension with public schools.  So make sure at your new job you ask the school to connect the pensions.  Otherwise, you'll have to contact the old school and have a hassle getting your whole pension. Happened to my buddy who switched jobs.

• poppy
  • Veteran

• May 07, 2010, 12:33:32 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 07:19:28 am »
[quote

AND most teachers pay into a pension with public schools.  So make sure at your new job you ask the school to connect the pensions.  Otherwise, you'll have to contact the old school and have a hassle getting your whole pension. Happened to my buddy who switched jobs.
[/quote]

Do you mean pension or severance?  Pension is to the government and should be connected to your ARC number with not to your school.  Unless you switch to a job (like some of the universities) that use a private pension plan.

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 12:07:50 pm »
Have your new employer figure out what docs you need and tell them to call Busan's EPIK coordinator and they should send them in.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit