Read 4329 times

• Tpinway
  • Adventurer

• August 24, 2016, 02:47:12 pm
Payslip advice: *Meal allowance* What is this?
« on: November 07, 2016, 07:29:35 pm »
Payslip advice: *Meal allowance*

Does anyone know what the hell this is?

My salary is listed with 3 separate sections, my initial pay of around 1.8 then an additional 100,000 of "meal allowance" then a bonus of around 280,000.... why is my pay split into 3 sections. Underneath it is listed correctly as 2.1mill but I'd like to know why it's divided.... is my hagwon doing something shady like trying to pass some of my pay off as non taxable so they pay less tax and I pay less tax (incorrectly...)

I did ask the manager but it true hagwon style they told me to "not worry about it" and refused to explain further....

I have called the Pension and tax office and I was listed as an "employee" not contractor but I didn't ask them what my listed salary was... should I do that?

Im from the UK so dont want to be paying any more to pension that I really need to for obvious reasons.

• emmas28
  • Veteran

• August 27, 2015, 10:42:23 am
    • Korea
Re: Payslip advice: *Meal allowance* What is this?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 08:45:05 pm »
I'm not sure what they're doing exactly but if you submit a 'certificate of residence' you shouldn't have to pay tax for your first two years anyway.

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:53:57 pm »
Ask them how much your taxed salary is. My friend worked at a hagwon that over taxed him because his boss had his taxed income including housing allowance which was a lie because he lived in the school housing.

The boss pocketed every month the extra tax money. Also make sure he doesn't under tax you either if you decide to get married or anything.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 12:56:36 am »
Payslip advice: *Meal allowance*

Does anyone know what the hell this is?

My salary is listed with 3 separate sections, my initial pay of around 1.8 then an additional 100,000 of "meal allowance" then a bonus of around 280,000.... why is my pay split into 3 sections. Underneath it is listed correctly as 2.1mill but I'd like to know why it's divided.... is my hagwon doing something shady like trying to pass some of my pay off as non taxable so they pay less tax and I pay less tax (incorrectly...)

I did ask the manager but it true hagwon style they told me to "not worry about it" and refused to explain further....

I have called the Pension and tax office and I was listed as an "employee" not contractor but I didn't ask them what my listed salary was... should I do that?

Im from the UK so dont want to be paying any more to pension that I really need to for obvious reasons.

Basically sounds like a way the school can under report your salary, but pay you what you think you are entitled to. Are you on an E2 visa? You should go to the pension office, or national health office in your area. Ask them to give you record of payments made. On the record it will show what they have your salary listed as. Mine was listed as 1.9 when it was actually 2.4. This means my pension would be about 200,000 and something off what it should be from their contributions alone by the end of the year. Your school could also be charging you higher pension/medical deductions, but reported a lower amount to pension/medical office and essentially pocketing the difference. You also need to get that paper to see if they are actually making the payments. They can go for months of you being enrolled but them not actually paying. Your medical is okay, if they don't pay it but you're registered you still get all the benefits/discounts. Eventually the medical insurance will go after the boss when they feel like it.

• Tpinway
  • Adventurer

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 11:01:45 am »
Ask them how much your taxed salary is. My friend worked at a hagwon that over taxed him because his boss had his taxed income including housing allowance which was a lie because he lived in the school housing.

The boss pocketed every month the extra tax money. Also make sure he doesn't under tax you either if you decide to get married or anything.

Why would it affect marriage (possibility to a Korean)???  :huh: :huh:

• a1mighty
  • Adventurer

• July 18, 2012, 05:03:52 pm
    • usa
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 11:16:44 am »
You want a lower base salary on paper to pay a lower pension payment, because as I am aware, the British don't get that money back when they leave the country. So, the less you pay the better. On the other hand, the repercussions are that you will receive a lower severance payment at the end of your contract. Your severance payment will be 1.8mil instead of the full 2.4mil. Yes, your hagwon is screwing you out of 600,000 won.

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 11:40:10 am »
You want a lower base salary on paper to pay a lower pension payment, because as I am aware, the British don't get that money back when they leave the country. So, the less you pay the better. On the other hand, the repercussions are that you will receive a lower severance payment at the end of your contract. Your severance payment will be 1.8mil instead of the full 2.4mil. Yes, your hagwon is screwing you out of 600,000 won.

He only wants a lower pension/medical payment if he is actually getting the 'discount' too. His school is probably billing him for the amount he should be billed for and pocketing the rest. If what I think is happening is the case, I would tell the school you know what's up, but let them continue as long as you pay a lower rate too and your severance payment is what it should be on your contract. If they try to screw your severance you tell them you will tell the pension office they didn't register you properly (and probably a lot of other teachers at your school), which ends up in a big fine for them. But first you gotta go to the pension/medical office and get a printout of contribution history.

• Tpinway
  • Adventurer

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 02:25:12 pm »

He only wants a lower pension/medical payment if he is actually getting the 'discount' too. His school is probably billing him for the amount he should be billed for and pocketing the rest. If what I think is happening is the case, I would tell the school you know what's up, but let them continue as long as you pay a lower rate too and your severance payment is what it should be on your contract. If they try to screw your severance you tell them you will tell the pension office they didn't register you properly (and probably a lot of other teachers at your school), which ends up in a big fine for them. But first you gotta go to the pension/medical office and get a printout of contribution history.

So I need to double check as to the amount my school has been paying in contributions first, before I go in all guns blazing?

As mentioned before I don't want to be paying more on my pension if possible as I wont ever see that money but if they pay less tax and it doesn't harm me in that I get my full salary severance back then I don't want to pursue it.

I've been able to check my contract and there is a clause that says severance should be 1 month pay and it actually says this is "2.1 million" so that should be ok right?

How to find this contribution then? Local Gu office?

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 07:59:29 pm »

So I need to double check as to the amount my school has been paying in contributions first, before I go in all guns blazing?

As mentioned before I don't want to be paying more on my pension if possible as I wont ever see that money but if they pay less tax and it doesn't harm me in that I get my full salary severance back then I don't want to pursue it.

I've been able to check my contract and there is a clause that says severance should be 1 month pay and it actually says this is "2.1 million" so that should be ok right?

How to find this contribution then? Local Gu office?

Pension contribution for 2.1 = 94,500 for each of you/month
Medical contribution for 2.1 = 64,260 for each/month

Pension contribution for 1.9 = 85,500 for each of you/month
Medical contribution for 1.9 = 58,140 for each of you/month

Difference in pension = 9000/month
Difference in medical = 6120/month

Total = 15,120/month they *could* be screwing you out of or 181,440/year.

If the school is paying deductions based off of 1.9 then they save the 15,120, and an extra 15,120 by pocketing the deductions of 2.1 they deduct from your pay (if that is how they are actually doing it) but only pass off 1.9 worth of deductions to the offices. Honestly it's not that much money for you to lose, but if the school is doing this for multiple teachers it ends up saving them a decent chunk of money. Choose your battles wisely. If you like your job/school just forget it for now. Also, if you haven't worked for your school longer than 6 months I think they have the right to fire you for no reason. So, if you were to bring up the issue they could just fire you and that would be the end of it. I don't think your severance has anything to do with your pension/medical registered amount and your school will probably give you 2.1 in the end. However, if they don't you could always hang this over their heads. Again this is all speculative. Use the NPS,NHIS websites to find the location of the pension office that you should go to. I forgot if it goes by your address or the schools address. I would get a korean friend to help you. Get the print out of a history of payments made.

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 08:47:06 pm »

Why would it affect marriage (possibility to a Korean)???  :huh: :huh:

If you get married to a Korean and sponsor them to your home country salary matters. If your pay stubs and the reported salary to the tax office don't match then you're gonna have a bad time.

If your salary is 2500 but your boss reports 3000 then your home country may cause some problems. It's not rare here for hagwons to lie about taxes.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 08:50:31 pm by KimDuHan »

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 10:05:21 am »
I'm not much help in terms of how your payslip is divided, but for national pension, you can just check everything online provided that you have that online bank certificate.

1. Go to http://csa.nps.or.kr/.
2. Click "로그인" at the top of the page.
3. Enter your ARC number, locate your digital certificate, and enter your password (for the certificate).
4. A small dialog box will pop up that says "(Your name) 반갑습니다." Click "확인".
5. Hover over the "재무설계" tab along the top and click "국민연금 알아보기" (second option).
6. On the left hand sidebar, click "납부내역조회".**

You'll see three categories marked by blue words and some charts. You only need to concern yourself with the first chart in the first section (총 납부내역, we'll call this 'A') and the chart in the second section (연금보험료 상세내역, call this 'B').

Chart A: The first column shows what has been deposited and the second column shows what is pending, usually the pension from your last paycheck. The third column is for money that can't be deposited, and this should be 0. All three columns are further divided into two columns: number of months and total amount.

Chart B: The first column is the period. If you worked at a different school previously, you should see that listed here as well. The second column, which I think is the one you're mostly concerned with, is the base salary. This is what your pension contribution is based off of, so check to see if it aligns with your payslip. The third column, divided into number of months and total amount, shows what has been deposited. The fourth column, divided into number of months and total amount, shows what has not been deposited, including what is pending. The fifth column is just employment type, and the last column is for notes (most likely your school name).

**If it's your first time checking your pension online, you won't be able to see your balance right away. You can still log in as long as you have your digital certificate, but you'll need to apply for access to your pension information. I did this sometime earlier this year, so unfortunately, I can't remember the exact steps, but basically, if you follow the steps that I've outlined above, you'll get a dialog box that explains that you need to apply. Just keep clicking "확인" to everything. Note, you're going to have to download some of those annoying security programs. Once everything is done, all you have to do is click on the thing that says "신청" (can't remember the exact wording) and then wait approximately 3 business days, at which point, you can repeat the steps above.

Even if this doesn't help the OP, I hope it helps someone.

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 03:30:45 pm »

This helped me! I didn't get my annual letter from the pension office this year, so this allowed me to check my balances and stuff. Also it's really weird, despite having a higher salary, i had lower pension contributions for one twelve month period compared to another. Even though it was at the same public school with the same accountant.

Glad I could help!^^ Someone else had mentioned this site before and now I check it once every couple of months. As for the discrepancy, are you still at this school? If it's a significant amount, maybe you could ask what's up?? :lipsrsealed:

Also, one thing I forgot to mention: OP, if you are able to check the website, divide the monthly contributions in half. That's what should be coming out of your paycheck, so if you're paying more than half of the monthly deposit, they are charging you too much.

• gideonvasquez
  • Super Waygook

• August 27, 2015, 08:42:34 am
    • Uisung - Gyeongbuk-do
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 03:40:28 pm »

It was only about 90,000 and I've moved to a different school. Just, odd. My pension contributions also didn't go up over a period of three years at that school, despite my salary going up each year. The accountant at that school was fantastic, though, and always did a good job with everything else, so I want to trust that she knew what was up, but when I asked her, she just said it's complicated but correct.

It was such a small amount that I didn't want to fuss about it. But yeah. Weird.

Also two of my friends have identical employer, salary, and housing allowance, and have all been here the same amount of time, and all of our pension contribution levels vary by a margin of a few million won each.
I think there are some complex factors that go into these calculations. There is some amount that has to be in an account by the end of an employees contract and every over/underpayment that isn't settled by the end of a calendar year has to be included in future calculations. For me it came out that I (and my employer) underpaid by almost 200,000 each for the year. I just made a contract-end adjustment payment.