Read 1502 times

• cfcrules
  • Newgookin

• January 07, 2013, 09:42:29 pm
    • Ansan
Transferring from Hagwon to EPIK
« on: November 03, 2016, 10:44:14 pm »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with what documents I will need to transfer from a hagwon to EPIK. I want to make sure I have everything ready straight away.

Thanks

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
Re: Transferring from Hagwon to EPIK
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 11:01:45 pm »
Sorry, but that is impossible.

Hagwons are not connected with EPIK in any way, so a transfer is not an option.

However, if you quit your current job or complete your current contract, you can then apply for a position with EPIK.

Good luck.

• m.corless
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 02:10:51 am »
Just to add to what Pecan said,

You will need all of the standard E-2 visa documents as well as the additional documents that EPIK requires teachers to submit (application form, reference letters, etc). If your current visa does not expire until after you are hoping to begin a position with EPIK you will also need a letter of release from your hagwon.

• Boquoi
  • Veteran

• February 23, 2013, 09:48:23 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 08:16:03 am »
You can always get a D-10 (looking for work visa) for 6 months if the jobs don't line up. So you wouldn't need to apply for a new E-2, but I think EPIK will want most of the same documents.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 08:36:35 am »
I just did it myself and it's definitely worth it :) It's a big hassle to get all those documents from Korea though. You'll have to get a background check (fingerprint yourself with an inkpad you buy online; the police stations are actually pretty bad at it, in my experience) with an apostille, college degree notarized and apostilled, all the fun stuff. You'll also need way too much paperwork from your current school and they may not be happy about it--my manager griped a fair amount about having to write 2 different letters for me.

The good thing is that since you're already in Korea and have experience, that makes you a more attractive candidate to EPIK so you're more likely to get the job. Apply as soon as applications open, get your documents in as soon as they tell you you're accepted, and you'll have a good time. The whole process is like 6 months though, from application to contract. So have a game plan with that timeline.

For me though, all the hassle was 100% worth it. I have better hours, a better working environment, holidays, less stress--living in Korea got exciting again.