Read 985 times

Question about Health Insurance (Hagwon)
« on: November 02, 2016, 10:52:15 pm »
A friend of mine works at a hagwon. Recently she sprained her wrist on a Sunday evening. On Monday, she told her academy that she couldn't make it into school due to the pain.

The following happened:

1) She called in sick Monday morning.
2) The manager drove her to the hospital.
3) The manager left her at the hospital.
4) Her arm was put in a sling/brace and she had to foot the hospital bill of around 100,000 KRW.
5) The manager told her she had to work her afternoon classes.
6) The manager then says to her, "Good thing you were insured because the hospital bill would have been much higher if you weren't"

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know there is no insurance company in the world that would pay upfront. I am almost certain that all health insurance invoices are to be submitted and then claimed to the health insurer AFTER the bills are paid in full, at which point a reimbursement would be honored... at least... I think?

Clarifications anyone?

Thanks in advance waygookers.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:54:19 pm by Ffourveesa »

Re: Question about Health Insurance (Hagwon)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 07:39:49 am »
A friend of mine works at a hagwon. Recently she sprained her wrist on a Sunday evening. On Monday, she told her academy that she couldn't make it into school due to the pain.

The following happened:

1) She called in sick Monday morning.
2) The manager drove her to the hospital.
3) The manager left her at the hospital.
4) Her arm was put in a sling/brace and she had to foot the hospital bill of around 100,000 KRW.
5) The manager told her she had to work her afternoon classes.
6) The manager then says to her, "Good thing you were insured because the hospital bill would have been much higher if you weren't"

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know there is no insurance company in the world that would pay upfront. I am almost certain that all health insurance invoices are to be submitted and then claimed to the health insurer AFTER the bills are paid in full, at which point a reimbursement would be honored... at least... I think?

Clarifications anyone?

Thanks in advance waygookers.

You are wrong, but only because this is a different country and some things are different here.  If your friend is enrolled in the national health insurance scheme (NHIC), which really she should be, then the co-payment and deductions are calculated at the time the bill is presented.  So it's essentially all done up front.

That's so much better than America, right?