Read 5025 times

Requesting locations when renewing with EPIK
« on: November 02, 2016, 08:57:16 pm »
As much as I like my school, I've decided to not renew with them for another year. I will renew my contract with EPIK though. I haven't received my renewal papers, but I'm curious to know if I can request where to go next within the Gyeonggi-do area? After spending an isolating year in the countryside, I would prefer not to do it again.

Re: Requesting locations when renewing with EPIK
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 09:35:23 pm »
If memory serves me right, you can request a change in location but in order to do that you have to reapply entirely. Which means you risk the possibility of not being rehired even though they had given you the option to renew. Also you may not get your chosen location and could possibly be placed anywhere.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 07:42:54 am »
If memory serves me right, you can request a change in location but in order to do that you have to reapply entirely. Which means you risk the possibility of not being rehired even though they had given you the option to renew. Also you may not get your chosen location and could possibly be placed anywhere.

Im currently residing in the gyeonggi-do area. i want to remain in the area, but change school. I don't think i need to reapply?? I just want to know if i can request moving somewhere like suwon or bungdang. Or am I better off job hunting on my own?

• avchan74
  • Waygookin

• February 25, 2013, 04:30:53 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 07:53:45 am »
Not really sure about how Gyeonggi-do does transfers, but I am with EPIK in Gyeongbuk and I am able to transfer to any school that has an opening throughout Gyeongbuk. I did a transfer 2 years ago and along with my intent to renew form, I also submitted a request to transfer form with the school that I want to transfer to. You should talk to your EPIK coordinator to get more information.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 07:55:40 am »
Funny, I'm currently in Gyeonggi, with GEPIK (not too far from Suwon) and I have been thinking about changing schools for a more rural location, I actually want a quiet countryside time - pretty much the exact opposite of what you want to do OP. 

When I was with EPIK a few years ago I was told that if I wanted to change locations but stay with EPIK then I'd have to start the whole process again but would likely be 'fast tracked' IF they had openings in the area I requested.  It was easier to switch schools within the same MOE, but if you were changing MOE's then it's a whole process.

Your best bet would be to contact your recruiter (if you had one) or your local EPIK and ask the 'hypothetical question' - you'll get the best answer from the horse's mouth.

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2016, 10:29:17 am
    • Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 08:48:09 am »
I am really glad someone is asking a similar question to what I have. I don't want to renew with my school, but want to stay in the city I am in. Problem. I am school hired and this morning my one CT came and demanded an answer from me about whether or not I am staying. I asked for my renewal forms so that I could see what options are available to me and she said that I have to reapply and will have to move cities. What?What? (Still have no forms).

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 10:33:08 am »
Funny, I'm currently in Gyeonggi, with GEPIK (not too far from Suwon) and I have been thinking about changing schools for a more rural location, I actually want a quiet countryside time - pretty much the exact opposite of what you want to do OP. 

When I was with EPIK a few years ago I was told that if I wanted to change locations but stay with EPIK then I'd have to start the whole process again but would likely be 'fast tracked' IF they had openings in the area I requested.  It was easier to switch schools within the same MOE, but if you were changing MOE's then it's a whole process.

Your best bet would be to contact your recruiter (if you had one) or your local EPIK and ask the 'hypothetical question' - you'll get the best answer from the horse's mouth.

Pretty much this. It is going to depend on where you're wanting to go but you're likely going to have to reapply. People I know wanting to get into Seoul have to apply completely again (though that might be because they are SMOE positions or something). Likely you'll have to reapply and reinterview and all if you want to change cities.

Fair warning: I've been told that this year EPIK has had it's highest volume of applications and the application process opened like a month ago so you're already behind the eight ball. I'd be wary of reapplying. I always tell people, if you have a good job it's sometimes worth holding onto because applying again is no guarantee of getting a better location or a better job.

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 11:35:03 am »
Just a random question - on the renewal document does it have an option whereby you request transfer within the same town/province/education office etc.....
-A.A. Milne

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 11:49:13 am »

Fair warning: I've been told that this year EPIK has had it's highest volume of applications and the application process opened like a month ago so you're already behind the eight ball. I'd be wary of reapplying. I always tell people, if you have a good job it's sometimes worth holding onto because applying again is no guarantee of getting a better location or a better job.

Thanks for the warning, but I have to ask where you got your information from.  How would you rate the reliability?  It's more than a rumour isn't it?

• chelly90
  • Adventurer

• September 11, 2015, 09:40:10 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 12:09:00 pm »
Directly from the EPIK website:

"If you want to change locations within your province or metropolitan city, you should speak with your MOE/POE supervisor. They can give you more information. If you want to change locations entirely (going from Ulsan to Seoul for example), you will need to reapply directly to EPIK."

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 01:23:22 pm »

Thanks ^^ I will send an email to my coordinator later today. I live in Gyeonggi-do as well. I like this region, so I'm hoping to go to a nearby city. Where in Gyeonggi-do do you live? I can PM you more information about my school if you like.

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 01:24:49 pm »
Just a random question - on the renewal document does it have an option whereby you request transfer within the same town/province/education office etc.....

I will like to know as well ^^
Once I get more information, I will surely post it on here

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 01:45:53 pm »

Thanks for the warning, but I have to ask where you got your information from.  How would you rate the reliability?  It's more than a rumour isn't it?

I got it from an EPIK coordinator. Or rather, from a friend who spoke to an EPIK coordinator. I've spoken to them personally this hiring season and you could probably call and ask them for yourself. They seem pretty open about this stuff. Mind you, this guy was applying to Seoul, so it is possible that is what they were referring to.  I trust that he wasn't just making things up.

Either way, we know jobs in the major cities are highly sought after and those jobs are disappearing so it would pay to have a back up plan in place.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:47:44 pm by SkidMarx »

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 01:57:08 pm »

Thanks ^^ I will send an email to my coordinator later today. I live in Gyeonggi-do as well. I like this region, so I'm hoping to go to a nearby city. Where in Gyeonggi-do do you live? I can PM you more information about my school if you like.

Yeh yeh PM me - I refrain from posting specific personal information on this site.  You never know who's watching -_-
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:59:19 pm by welcomebackkotter »

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 02:49:10 pm »
So here is an update. After a crazy day- if I want to change schools and stay in the same town or change towns in the same province, I have to reapply to EPIK. So AI am doing that right now. There is of course no guarentee that I will get my requested province or town... so here we go again. hahaha never a dull moment
-A.A. Milne

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 02:57:55 pm »
So here is an update. After a crazy day- if I want to change schools and stay in the same town or change towns in the same province, I have to reapply to EPIK. So AI am doing that right now. There is of course no guarentee that I will get my requested province or town... so here we go again. hahaha never a dull moment

I think whoever told you that is full of shit.  I know lots of folks who want to switch and change towns.  They go to the POE or call the English supervisor there and she usually agrees to the change the next semester.  I switched from a rural smallish city to a larger mid sized city.  I called the POE supervisor and asked her at the time.  She switched me the next semester.  If I want to switch to another province though, I have to reapply through EPIK, recruiter, their POE office, or whatever.  Within the same province, you're employed by the POE and are their employee no matter which school you work for or which town you're living in.

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 03:00:36 pm »
Directly from the EPIK website:

"If you want to change locations within your province or metropolitan city, you should speak with your MOE/POE supervisor. They can give you more information. If you want to change locations entirely (going from Ulsan to Seoul for example), you will need to reapply directly to EPIK."

Just saw this now.  Reaffirms my experience and what I just previously wrote. 

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 03:17:59 pm »

I think whoever told you that is full of shit.  I know lots of folks who want to switch and change towns.  They go to the POE or call the English supervisor there and she usually agrees to the change the next semester.  I switched from a rural smallish city to a larger mid sized city.  I called the POE supervisor and asked her at the time.  She switched me the next semester.  If I want to switch to another province though, I have to reapply through EPIK, recruiter, their POE office, or whatever.  Within the same province, you're employed by the POE and are their employee no matter which school you work for or which town you're living in.

Agreed.  They are not giving you the correct information.  Maybe they are trying to discourage you from changing schools.  Talk to your supervisor directly, don't take your ct's word as gospel - either deceit or miscommunication/mistranslation. 

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 09:19:27 am »
I have spoken to the POE and the local office of Education and also double checked with EPIK. The problem that has occurred is that I am school hired and therefore don't have the same avenues of transfer as those who fall under the POE.
-A.A. Milne