Read 3609 times

EPIK Contract Renewal too early!
« on: November 02, 2016, 08:05:40 am »
Hi all

So I was asked 2 weeks ago by my school if I wanted to renew my contract for another year and I said yes (but I've also been looking for other jobs starting in Feb/March). I had an interview with a school a few days ago and I think it went really well. I know that my current co-teacher is submitting my renewal contract for EPIK in a few days but I don't want to pull out just yet just in-case I don't get the other job or if the contract for the other job isn't suitable.

Is it possible to withdraw my application in a week or 2 (before I actually sign the new contract with EPIK)?

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: EPIK Contract Renewal too early!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 08:37:26 am »
The form you fill out asking whether you intend to renew or not is exactly that: a piece of paper asking what your intentions are. You can change your mind right up until you sign the actual contract without having any kind of problem getting a future EPIK job.

I mean, your school might be a bit peeved if you change your mind and that might affect your reference, but otherwise you should feel free to look for greener pastures.

I too have already filled out that form, and am in the process of searching for university positions too (cross my fingers!).

Depending on your relationship with your co-workers, it might be a good idea to let them know, informally, that you are looking for another job (this could backfire, so make sure it's a coworker who would understand the situation!).

Good luck with the job hunt! :smiley:

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 08:48:01 am »
Did you sign anything?

An intention to renew is not a contract.  Even signing an intention to renew does not commit you to renewing.  Once you have signed a new contract it becomes a little tricky, but you could easily sign a contract somewhere else and tell your original school you no longer intend to renew.

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 09:22:39 am »
So, basically they are saying "Although this has happened many times before we still have no idea how to deal with it and have no strategy to cope, other than to pressure the foreigner.  Please understand our situation."

Or is it simply too much effort for them?

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 11:00:37 am »
They worded the renewal notice in a way that makes it sound like if we sign the intent to renew, we have to stay or else we're horrible people depriving an entire school of an English teacher.

From the email:

"Your decision is due by Tuesday, November 8th at the latest as your school needs to submit all the necessary documents to the district offices of education by Thursday, November 10th. Once your forms are submitted, your decision is considered final, so please think carefully about your decision. The reasoning for this is that we must submit our requirements for new NET's to EPIK, so as to give them the appropriate amount of time to fill up any vacancies. Any requests for NET's after that point may not be filled, potentially leaving your school without an NET for the year."

I have no problem with them considering the intent to renew to be final. However, this cuts both ways. A few years ago, I signed an intent to renew, everyone at my school was happy, and we were just waiting on the paper work. On December 24th, news comes from the local education office that funding for my school has been cut, and I'm out of a job.

• mirokii
  • Super Waygook

• August 24, 2013, 09:49:32 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 01:55:04 pm »
It's the 8th because it gives everyone a few days to get things together. In reality, it's the 10th, but if you tell your school on the 19th, the paper work is also due the 10th, which creates a time crunch. if your things are in by the 8th, it gives your school  and kt time to complete the paperwork.

also. last year i signed with the intent to renew, but last minute had to pull out. in the OP situation. they won't be happy, if you sign to renew and then decide to go with the other position. but ultimately they cant stop you. i would try and avoid such situations. but if you can't make sure to let them know as soon as possible
-kimsungil

• bossyaggi
  • Adventurer

• March 11, 2011, 05:48:13 am
    • Busan, Korea
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 02:08:44 pm »
Also just because you sign the renewal form doesn't mean you will be renewed. It's rare, but it happens.

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 02:51:17 pm »
They worded the renewal notice in a way that makes it sound like if we sign the intent to renew, we have to stay or else we're horrible people depriving an entire school of an English teacher.

From the email:

"Your decision is due by Tuesday, November 8th at the latest as your school needs to submit all the necessary documents to the district offices of education by Thursday, November 10th. Once your forms are submitted, your decision is considered final, so please think carefully about your decision. The reasoning for this is that we must submit our requirements for new NET's to EPIK, so as to give them the appropriate amount of time to fill up any vacancies. Any requests for NET's after that point may not be filled, potentially leaving your school without an NET for the year."

it's worded this way because it's not a huge hassle for them if you say yes you want to renew, but then pull out, but it's a huge hassle for them if you say "no" and then decide "oh, i actually do want to renew."  They want a count for how many people they need to hire next year. Hiring someone is easy for them. It's a pain in the ass though for the office of education to hire someone though for your job and then you deciding "oh, actually. i want to continue working here." Well, now they have one person extra and not a job for them. This is why they want you to think about it, if you definitely dont want to renew then dont. but if you do or you are waiting on potentially getting a better job, then say yes.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:56:36 pm by renhasbrownhair »

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2016, 10:29:17 am
    • Korea
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 03:08:43 pm »
If no one has given me the renewal forms, would it be considered terribly rude to ask for them?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 03:34:10 pm »

From the email:

Do you have the document that says November 8th is the latest day? My school is telling me it's November 7th. One more day would help so much since I'm waiting to see if I've got the job at the other school.

Yep, it says November 8th. My co-teacher was shocked at how early it is. She's also shocked that we'll apparently find out our new school placements in December. She won't find out her next placement until February.

Right, but she doesn't have to travel half way around the world if there is no position available.