Read 1268 times

• naturegirl321
  • Expert Waygook

• June 13, 2011, 01:34:50 pm
    • Seoul
    more
GEPIK is now with EPIK?
« on: November 01, 2016, 07:33:16 pm »
I'm trying to apply for a PS job and have been told by one recruiter that GEPIK is now EPIK and you can no longer specify where to go, i.e., you can't put down certain areas. Other recruiters I've talked to haven't mentioned this at all. Am I being screwed over by this one?
The best TEFL jobs in Korea on TEFL Tips.
Tender Embrace Birthing: childbirth classes, doulas, breastfeeding support, and info about giving birth in Korea

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
Re: GEPIK is now with EPIK?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 07:43:03 pm »
I'm really surprised you're applying for a public school job.

Don't you have a university job?

GEPIK/EPIK would be a big step down.

I'd say stay in the university system.

• naturegirl321
  • Expert Waygook

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 08:21:36 pm »
It's a long and complicated story. But basically I re-married and moved so couldn't renew at my uni due to the long commute. When you have kids here and no family to help out, it's just not possible to do. I'd be paying a nanny a ton and never see my kid. Can't move due to my husband's job. So I'm kind of stuck living in the middle of nowhere.

Not a lot of uni jobs around here either. At least very few that I could get to in the time I have to commute.

Money isn't that much of an issue. I know I'd get more at a uni, but I've got other sources of (legal) income. And vacation is just something I'd have to deal with.

I'll PM you more info.

Tender Embrace Birthing: childbirth classes, doulas, breastfeeding support, and info about giving birth in Korea

• m.corless
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 12:13:58 am »
Yes, GEPIK is currently under the EPIK blanket so you are applying through them and indicating "Gyeonggi" as your preferred placement location. Nothing more specific than indicating the whole province unfortunately. The EPIK contracts for Gyeonggi still use the GEPIK pay scale and conditions.

• naturegirl321
  • Expert Waygook

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 08:52:35 am »
That stinks. I guess I'll have to look into private schools.

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 09:42:18 am »
The application form I am filling in (GEPIK is written on it) says that you can state a preference for location and that will be taken into consideration.

Just as well really since I fancy the idea of living and working in Bundang.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 09:46:28 am »
The application form I am filling in (GEPIK is written on it) says that you can state a preference for location and that will be taken into consideration.

Just as well really since I fancy the idea of living and working in Bundang.

Yes, but how specific can you be?  Can you specify city, or only province?

• naturegirl321
  • Expert Waygook

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 10:13:41 am »
I was told you can only specify a province. Yet a friend of mine put down three cities and got one of them. I think it depends on the recrtuiters. I'd use multiple ones.