Read 1344 times

• DCinKR
  • Explorer

• October 20, 2016, 11:11:57 pm
Overtime at a hagwon -- how does it work?
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:26:46 pm »
Looking at different jobs at adult hagwons, and I'm just curious how overtime pay works in Korea -- in theory, but also in practice (after scouring these boards, it's become clear that expectation and reality are two different beasts.)

How do I know if I'm getting hosed before signing a contract? What should I look out for? Can I offer myself up in my job to work more overtime hours if I'd like?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Overtime at a hagwon -- how does it work?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 03:14:48 pm »
Looking at different jobs at adult hagwons, and I'm just curious how overtime pay works in Korea -- in theory, but also in practice (after scouring these boards, it's become clear that expectation and reality are two different beasts.)

How do I know if I'm getting hosed before signing a contract? What should I look out for? Can I offer myself up in my job to work more overtime hours if I'd like?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sometimes the overtime hourly payrate is less than your usual hourly payrate if you were to calculate it. Personally I have always had difficulty trying to collect any sort of overtime/extra pay. Just avoid doing any.

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
Re: Overtime at a hagwon -- how does it work?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 05:00:40 pm »

I got the impression that for adult hagwons overtime mean't Saturdays. I'm sure some could be different but most are split shift early mornings then evening/night work. Maybe you're specific hagwon could pimp you out during the day but that'd be a  case by case basis and a hell of a long day.

The hours for a standard hagwon contract (I haven't worked adult) are such that you probably won't come close to working overtime if you only work during the week (usually 120-150hrs a month). You also need to be careful what qualifies as a "teaching hour" is as it varies from school to school. It can be anywhere from 40 to 60mins equaling an hour. Then as the other poster said, overtime rates are generally pathetic, 15-20,000 won/hr but some adult schools pay different rates depending on your experience and your student satisfaction scores. For me, when I did meet the requirements for overtime then I generally got paid what I was due, and I've known a few people who worked at adult schools who didn't mind working Saturdays and liked the money.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"