Read 3910 times

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
Re: Elementary vs Middle School
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 10:49:13 am »
Good points being brought up. Here, while the elementary level kids are cute and generally earnest, I still jive better with middle schoolers and would probably do well enough with high schoolers if I taught that level. Being older, middle school kids are able to talk about more even if their English levels are all over the place. Ex. In elem. the kids' conversation topics are very simple such as "I like ____!" whereas in middle school they have a broader variety of questions and so conversing can be more interesting. We also have a lot of nerdy commonality like video games. I'm more of a laid back type too, so I know I'm not "entertaining" as I could be for elementary but seem to have the right level for middle.

At the end of a day at elementary I just feel drained but after a day at middle I feel more energized. Plus, lunchtimes at elem. are hella noisy whereas at my middle schools it's more of a pleasant murmur so it actually feels like a break. Elem. students also seem to be fairly touchy feely and like grabbing my hands or sneak hugging me or touching my hair. In middle school the kids are touchy feely with each other instead of with me.

Also, I dunno if I'd be up for teaching at big city middle schools in general. One of my coTs used to work at one and told me about some of the violent fights that would go on between boys. Because of her past experiences, she says our current students are like angels. I'm happy with my tiny country schools.

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 01:49:55 pm »
Good points being brought up. Here, while the elementary level kids are cute and generally earnest, I still jive better with middle schoolers and would probably do well enough with high schoolers if I taught that level. Being older, middle school kids are able to talk about more even if their English levels are all over the place. Ex. In elem. the kids' conversation topics are very simple such as "I like ____!" whereas in middle school they have a broader variety of questions and so conversing can be more interesting. We also have a lot of nerdy commonality like video games. I'm more of a laid back type too, so I know I'm not "entertaining" as I could be for elementary but seem to have the right level for middle.

At the end of a day at elementary I just feel drained but after a day at middle I feel more energized. Plus, lunchtimes at elem. are hella noisy whereas at my middle schools it's more of a pleasant murmur so it actually feels like a break. Elem. students also seem to be fairly touchy feely and like grabbing my hands or sneak hugging me or touching my hair. In middle school the kids are touchy feely with each other instead of with me.

Also, I dunno if I'd be up for teaching at big city middle schools in general. One of my coTs used to work at one and told me about some of the violent fights that would go on between boys. Because of her past experiences, she says our current students are like angels. I'm happy with my tiny country schools.

Mid sized city middle school kids, except for the roughest or poorest of areas are fine.  You will have larger class sizes however.  Their English levels will be better though more talkative in class (to each other).  But, I will say older kids do have a survival of the fittest in some ways.  I knew a couple of teachers who seemed kind of Poindexterish (nerdy) and got no respect from the kids.  They can sense that shit.  They did much better when they went to Elementary School.  You prob have to be more outgoing and give off a cool or fun vibe in some way to keep up with the Middle and High kids.  A few boy students will try to challenge you, not physically or with violence, but with sarcasm.  I can be a real smart ass when the occasion calls for it (though mostly I try not to be).  So, I hit 'em back with it if they try to unleash it on me.  I find that much more effective than yelling, flipping out, or even passive aggressively complaining about it here.  Once you know how to handle the kids, it'll all be good.  Be friendly and fun with the kids and most of them will be the same with you. 

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 02:13:18 pm »
Exude confidence!  8)

Even at my tiny schools, there's a boy at each one who likes to test boundaries as kids are wont to do. Seems there's always at least one vying for the role of class clown or mischief maker. I tend to have the most fun banter with those kids though.