Read 1690 times

• NeonSeoul
  • Explorer

• October 19, 2016, 01:14:55 am
    • United States
New To TaLK
« on: October 23, 2016, 11:16:13 pm »
I'm applying for the TaLK program for the first time this month and since I'm completely new to this program, I was wondering if anyone here on this forum can give me any tips on this program?

I've prior experience teaching in Korea under an F6 visa and when I was also volunteering in the US Army. So that aspect of dealing with the schools etc, I have experience with.

I just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with TaLK and what should I be prepared for as far as the processing and the employment process. Any other general new teacher advice and tips would be helpful too since, I haven't been active in the English Teacher field in Korea since 2008. Thanks in advance everyone!  ;D

• getwithgoddard
  • Explorer

• May 26, 2016, 01:42:07 pm
    • Gangwon-Do, Goseon-Gun, South Korea
Re: New To TaLK
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:49:22 am »
Um in terms of processing time from time of application to acceptance the timeline is anywhere from 1-2 months. In terms of teaching the orientation for TaLK is very long and very informative so you should be able to learn many new tips for teaching there. Also, just wondering why such a long break from teaching in Korea? Also, are you of Korean heritage?

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 09:58:04 am »
I thought TaLK was dead.

• getwithgoddard
  • Explorer

• May 26, 2016, 01:42:07 pm
    • Gangwon-Do, Goseon-Gun, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 10:14:00 am »
I thought TaLK was dead.
still alive lol

• Trysy_G
  • Explorer

• April 10, 2016, 10:51:06 pm
    • Gangwan-do
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 01:10:25 pm »
I thought TaLK was dead.

TaLK has had a rough road in the past in terms of stability as a program, year to year they say the program is ending or the option to renew is uncertain but when the time swings around, they manage to hang on a little bit longer.

Also OP , be prepared to have a lot of free time on your hands. Just wondering if you have had any experience living in rural parts of Korea? as I am sure you're aware, the TaLK program is for 'rural' areas and, while the chances are slim, you may get placed in a town that has almost nothing in the way of entertainment,facilities or what you may be used to. Although I feel like a big town or city is always a marginally short bus/train ride away.

In terms of the program as a whole, it is a great way to experience Korea in terms of culture and non-city life. For the most part, I'd say that it is hard to gauge how your experience will be with the program as it is rather subjective to a number of different factors but as a whole, it is a great opportunity for you to come back to Korea and to teach elementary school kids! If you want any further info or to talk to a current TaLk scholar feel free to PM me  ;D

• Hodlpu
  • Veteran

• May 06, 2015, 07:47:32 pm
    • Geoje, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 01:21:37 pm »
I thought TaLK was dead.

TaLK has had a rough road in the past in terms of stability as a program, year to year they say the program is ending or the option to renew is uncertain but when the time swings around, they manage to hang on a little bit longer.

Also OP , be prepared to have a lot of free time on your hands. Just wondering if you have had any experience living in rural parts of Korea? as I am sure you're aware, the TaLK program is for 'rural' areas and, while the chances are slim, you may get placed in a town that has almost nothing in the way of entertainment,facilities or what you may be used to. Although I feel like a big town or city is always a marginally short bus/train ride away.

In terms of the program as a whole, it is a great way to experience Korea in terms of culture and non-city life. For the most part, I'd say that it is hard to gauge how your experience will be with the program as it is rather subjective to a number of different factors but as a whole, it is a great opportunity for you to come back to Korea and to teach elementary school kids! If you want any further info or to talk to a current TaLk scholar feel free to PM me  ;D

Unless you're super deep the boonies,  it's not that bad.  I'm under GOE and I live in a rice farming village.  I have 1 market, a convenience store, a local bar for the ahjussis, a few traditional restaurants, and lots of mountains.  The bus comes every 30 minutes and I can go out to the nearest city in about 20 minutes.

But yes, you should have plenty of hobbies and ways to keep yourself occupied.  If you need social interaction, try to meet some expats in the city.  Each city usually has some kind of facebook group that you can join. 

Just try your best to assimilate yourself into the culture, and you'll be fine at your work place!  Koreans can be shy, so you might have to initiate conversation most of the time.  Country teachers are usually nice, just really quiet and ashamed of using English.

• NeonSeoul
  • Explorer

• United States
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 03:03:12 pm »
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the swift responses! A little about me, I actually I lived in many different parts of Korea from Uijeongbu, Yongsan/Itaewon/Seoul, Dongduchon, Daegu, Waegwan and Busan.

Back in 2008 I had a small job for about a year working first grade elementary in a hagwon in Gangam, Yangjae Station on the 3 line. I also did middle school for the same school in the afterschool english program there too. At the time I was on an F6 visa working there so I'm pretty sure it wasn't legit but I never finished college until now and after my military service. So here I am now in my last year of college enrolling in the TaLK program to get a fresh start on hopefully an E2 in the future after I graduate.

I do all my schooling online through university of phoenix. So I would technically still be doing that while I worked the hours required for TaLK.

I thought of doing TaLK as a possible stepping stone into getting, into the EPIK program or GEPIK programs once I graduate if I'm lucky. But I know its fiercely competitive for those spots and at 32 with only shreds of experience teaching English in comparison to some others, I know it would be a stretch.

I'm hoping my friendly demeanor, my many years of living in Korea, my basic understanding of the language and about a year experience working in Korean schools will make me a possible candidate for TALK, EPIK, GEPIK or just a regular Hagwon job in Korea in the future.

I really loved my time in Korea, 7 years in total. I was even married to a Korean woman at one point, my only marriage for 4 years before we divorced. I would love to try and make this a career if possible in Korea, if not at least teaching English abroad. My current major is Information Technology, but it was something I was never as passionate about as I am about teaching and the Korean culture, so I thought this job would be the best for me after years of trying other options for me in other career fields.

I'm just looking for some more seasoned teaching advice from those in Korea now and those with the programs there. I hope to possibly make some new friends here as well! :D

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 03:17:01 pm »
If you don't care about location, you can give JLP (Jeollanamdo Language Program) a look as well. You will most likely have a rural placement though I have known a few who got placed into a city. I've met a few TaLK people placed in Jeollanamdo, too.

• NeonSeoul
  • Explorer

• United States
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 04:07:08 pm »
If you don't care about location, you can give JLP (Jeollanamdo Language Program) a look as well. You will most likely have a rural placement though I have known a few who got placed into a city. I've met a few TaLK people placed in Jeollanamdo, too.

I'm not sure what the requirements are for JLP? I never heard of this program before! But if it is open to those without a BA but an AA. I would definitely apply! Thats the only reason why I'm apply to TaLK now. Is because TaLK accepts those who have an AA or in their final semesters before a BA.

I'm very open to working in different areas of Korea so something like JLP I would love to give a chance if possible.

If you wouldn't mind reposting the link or posting the information for JLP that would be awesome for me to even just have for my own records even if I don't qualify now. :)

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 04:18:16 pm »
Sorry, I meant look into JLP as an option after finishing your BA, just so you're aware that EPIK/GEPIK aren't your only options. It's similar to EPIK but with a little more vacation time and far as I know they still hire at the base level (4 year degree in any subject, no TEFL required) whereas EPIK no longer hires at the base level.

When you google their website there's not really much there. I went through a recruiter that works directly with them though (Canadian Connections). Otherwise, just search around using "Jeollanamdo Language Program" or "JLP Korea" etc. for up to date info when the time comes round.

• NeonSeoul
  • Explorer

• United States
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 04:41:15 pm »
Sorry, I meant look into JLP as an option after finishing your BA, just so you're aware that EPIK/GEPIK aren't your only options. It's similar to EPIK but with a little more vacation time and far as I know they still hire at the base level (4 year degree in any subject, no TEFL required) whereas EPIK no longer hires at the base level.

When you google their website there's not really much there. I went through a recruiter that works directly with them though (Canadian Connections). Otherwise, just search around using "Jeollanamdo Language Program" or "JLP Korea" etc. for up to date info when the time comes round.

This is great info! Thank you! Yes, I only knew about TaLK/GEPIK/EPIK or going directly to the schools through these kinds of forums or through recruiters. This will be another consideration I will think about when I finish my BA in the next year. I will probably also get a TESOL certification before I graduate so I will also have that in hand when I finally apply to these places with my BA.