Read 2884 times

• LaChaca
  • Veteran

• December 28, 2015, 06:32:55 am
    • USA
URGENT NEED HELP my workplace is acting shady
« on: October 10, 2016, 08:43:28 pm »
I work at a hagwon where my contract started in March. My contract should finish at the end of February, which is in 5 months.

I've been told by another coworker that my hagwon has already found my replacement which is weird, shady, puzzling because I haven't asked to leave early.

I feel like I'm gonna get fired or be asked to leave early.

The thing is, this job is really important for me for financial reasons.

What can/should I do? Should I confront my supervisor about this?

Re: URGENT NEED HELP my workplace is acting shady
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 07:09:59 am »
I work at a hagwon where my contract started in March. My contract should finish at the end of February, which is in 5 months.

I've been told by another coworker that my hagwon has already found my replacement which is weird, shady, puzzling because I haven't asked to leave early.

What can you do? Nothing, they have done nothing wrong yet.
What should you do? Nothing, they have done nothing wrong yet.
Should you confront your supervisor? About what? hearsay?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 07:15:23 am »

What can you do? Nothing, they have done nothing wrong yet.
What should you do? Nothing, they have done nothing wrong yet.
Should you confront your supervisor? About what? hearsay?

You should look for work.  In fact, you should always be looking for work - especially since you do short-term contracts.

• nadinea
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2014, 08:16:52 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 07:37:15 am »

You could contact a lawyer and find out what exactly they will need in order to fire you (written warnings, documentation, etc)

If you do this I STRONGLY recommend that you do not give your Hagwon/employers name.  At this point they haven't done anything wrong.  They are allowed to find your replacement at whatever time they want. You don't want it getting back to them that you've contacted a lawyer when possibly they are just a super over prepared hagwon.

You are just trying to get informed as to your rights and the hagwon's rights in terms of termination.  Also review your contract so you are familiar with it even if you don't have it on hand. 

Keep record of any strange things that happen, date, time, descriptions of what happened and who was involved, etc. 

• JackRoxby
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2016, 07:34:49 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 08:06:41 am »
Is 5 months that early to be looking for someone to replace you when you leave though?

Considering how long it takes to get all the documents ready etc it's probably just good planning on their behalf. They don't know if you will stay or not so it's always a good idea for them to have someone lined up incase. Wouldn't worry about it.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 08:37:28 am »
Is 5 months that early to be looking for someone to replace you when you leave though?

Considering how long it takes to get all the documents ready etc it's probably just good planning on their behalf. They don't know if you will stay or not so it's always a good idea for them to have someone lined up incase. Wouldn't worry about it.

If they are hiring someone  via skype interview this is OK. However if they have hired someone on an F-6 visa  in a face to face interview I would be a little disturbed.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 12:40:47 pm »
It's nice of them to have informed you that they wont be rehiring you.

Take advantage of their generosity and find a suitable new gig for yourself.

• Eros
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 02:43:24 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 01:22:11 pm »
I wonder how that came up. Your colleague just said, 'Hey we've found your replacement.' Out of context it's hard to really give too much advice. I'd ask my boss about it, saying that x told me you had my replacement? Try to get some more info and take it from there.

• Loki88
  • Expert Waygook

• July 25, 2014, 08:41:07 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 01:48:49 pm »

Considering how long it takes to get all the documents ready etc it's probably just good planning on their behalf. They don't know if you will stay or not so it's always a good idea for them to have someone lined up in case. Wouldn't worry about it.

This was my thought on it. It's not that far ahead and if you've told them you don't plan on staying it makes even more sense,

• LaChaca
  • Veteran

• USA
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 10:08:43 pm »

Considering how long it takes to get all the documents ready etc it's probably just good planning on their behalf. They don't know if you will stay or not so it's always a good idea for them to have someone lined up in case. Wouldn't worry about it.

This was my thought on it. It's not that far ahead and if you've told them you don't plan on staying it makes even more sense,

My coworker said "they don't wait to find replacements."

I said, "why?"

They've already found yours.

I haven't discussed anything with my supervisor...

• LaChaca
  • Veteran

• USA
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 01:49:14 pm »
It's nice of them to have informed you that they wont be rehiring you.

Take advantage of their generosity and find a suitable new gig for yourself.

My school hasnt oficially informed me. I was told by a coworker...