Read 5982 times

• mgviola91
  • Explorer

• September 15, 2015, 11:52:27 pm
    • Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, South Korea
« on: September 20, 2016, 10:41:20 pm »
I'm having trouble uploading the files here. They're are too big...

Camp Brief:
In the world of Avatar the last airbender, people can control the four elements – water, air, earth, and fire. The story follows five characters – Aang, Katara, Sokka, Toph, and Zuko. Students will read about the characters’ journey and “train” to become great benders.

About the Camp:
This is an interactive animation camp. Video clips (with subtitles) are included to illustrate a MODIFIED story line. We decided to keep the story simple in order to accommodate elementary grammar. The video clips were cut to accommodate our modified plot. Each camp is approximately set up for a 4 to 5 day camp schedule. Each day is centered around an element (Water, Air, Earth, Fire). Each day starts out with a bit of the story, video, then "bending training" (this changes slightly from each version). There are 3 versions from the three users who contributed to the initial camp - Tmoney, Krista.teacher, and myself.

About the Materials:
We designed the ppts to keep the feeling of the ATLA world. The instruction slides provided for the games will differ in each version to fit our own teaching preferences. Story text and prints are included and organized by day (Water, Air, Earth, Fire)

Camp Schedule: Day 1: Water | Day 2: Air | Day 3: Earth | Day 4: Fire | Day 5: Bending Tournament and/or Movie Day

Contributors: Tmoney, Krista.teacher, mgviola, our co-teachers & Korean friends, a youtuber for the trailer video (still trying to look for the original creator for proper credits)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About the Videos:
There are subs out there, but good luck accessing them. ATLA is completely dubbed in Korean, so you can easily find those. The subs are a different story. They're on a naver group where you need to upload a certain number of files to access them. I even asked a former co-teacher to help me look for another source. We couldn't find one that was easy to download. Our solution? Make our own subs.
  • NOTE: We downloaded the videos, cut them to match our story, asked several Korean people we knew (co-teachers & friends) to help us translate, and I subbed them. Yes, I subbed all these videos. I had many other things to complete, so needless to say my subs aren't perfect. The font is simple. You have to manually load them from the video, but do you know how long it takes to hardsub videos? Rendering the raw clips took long enough.
  • WHERE ARE THEY: I organized them in the folder so it's easy to understand. Similar to how the ppts are organized, the videos are organized by day/element. There are placeholders in the ppts for when you should show a video. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask...unless it's about how to sub.
  • SUBBING PROGRAM: I used Aegisub, a free & user-friendly program. Play around and figure it out if you want to change anything about the subs, but PLEASE CREDIT US. It took so much work to complete all of them. (Side note: Fancy font colors or text won't show up in your video player with softsubs. If you want colored subs, you need to encode them onto the video. Make sure to keep the font a unicode style or the Korean will show up as random symbols.)
  • HOW TO LOAD SUBS: (in Gom) right click > subtitles > subtitle explorer > folder icon > click on sub file with the same name as the video > save. Other players should work in a similar way.

Files: (links since forum limit is too small)

Click here for the Google Drive folder for the trailer, videos, version m, version t, & font.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 03:04:39 pm by mgviola91 »

• Cass5042
  • Waygookin

• August 31, 2015, 11:51:37 am
    • Jeonju
Re: Avatar the Last Airbender Camp
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 09:10:49 am »
Thanks so much! This looks like an amazing camp!

• Duranj127
  • Newgookin

• May 03, 2016, 01:37:11 pm
    • San Bernardino
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:12:12 am »
Sorry, but certain videos don't have their respective subtitle files in the zip file I downloaded.
Namely, the vids: Avatar Cycle, Avatar State, Sozin's Comet, and Fire Bending Masters.

Could you maybe repost them through waygook?
Thanks again for the camp materials and am looking forward to it actually!

• mgviola91
  • Explorer

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 02:22:33 pm »
Sorry, but certain videos don't have their respective subtitle files in the zip file I downloaded.
Namely, the vids: Avatar Cycle, Avatar State, Sozin's Comet, and Fire Bending Masters.

Could you maybe repost them through waygook?
Thanks again for the camp materials and am looking forward to it actually!

Hey! Sorry about that! I'll have to look through my laptop at home for the files...if I actually did sub them. I did show a few videos without subs, and those may be it. They were on the sub list, but lower in priority since the action in the video could be understood even without subs and the content wasn't directly illustrating our story line text. I think I ended up running out of translating help + time for all the videos, but showed those to the kids anyways. My 3rd graders didn't seem to mind though. My 6th graders definitely didn't mind (but there were quite a few in my camp who had actually watched the series and managed to fill in story blanks for the others).

I'll double check still. If I don't have them, but you still want the subs I can help you out if you find someone to translate the video.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 01:48:07 pm »
Hey this camp is amazing! I am a little confused about the Day 3 "Find Appa" game. How exactly is the game supposed to be set up?

• mgviola91
  • Explorer

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 01:35:20 pm »
Hey this camp is amazing! I am a little confused about the Day 3 "Find Appa" game. How exactly is the game supposed to be set up?

It's a scavenger hunt game! I print out square pictures of Appa and the other characters. Only SOME of the Appa pictures have a letter/hint on the back (The hints were printed double-sided, which is why I have so many tables back to back. The pictures are the front and the text is the back). The full hint spells BA-SING-SE. After I print and cut the squares, I came in early the day of to hide them throughout the classroom. When it came time to play the game, I just let the kids go for it and try to find them (they went nuts for it). Meanwhile, I kept a map up on the tv to help out the ones who were trying to figure out the answer at their desks. The team who figures out where Appa is first gets another element. Since all teams will be finding the hints, you'll need 4 of each letter. I would differentiate between the hints by printing them on different colored paper (the number of colors = the number of teams).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:26:00 pm by mgviola91 »

• Shoinzo
  • Newgookin

• August 25, 2016, 11:07:47 am
    • Madison WI
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 02:07:12 pm »
Hi there! This camp looks incredible. The video clips in the google drive seem to be missing, though. Chrome gives the attached error. Have the files been moved?

EDIT: I was able to download the files, but interestingly enough, needed to use IE as opposed to google's own browser.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:10:25 pm by Shoinzo »

• mgviola91
  • Explorer

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 11:35:47 am »
Hi there! This camp looks incredible. The video clips in the google drive seem to be missing, though. Chrome gives the attached error. Have the files been moved?

EDIT: I was able to download the files, but interestingly enough, needed to use IE as opposed to google's own browser.

Did you try downloading at school? Sometimes Korean public school computers have trouble accessing google drive due to security issues. I'll check on it when I get home, but I should probably get to uploading the video clips here in the mean time...^^' Sorry about that.

• Shoinzo
  • Newgookin

• August 25, 2016, 11:07:47 am
    • Madison WI
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 11:02:57 am »
No worries! It was at school, so perhaps their security settings were affecting chrome and not IE. I have not tried downloading it on my personal computer.

• alyncraine
  • Newgookin

• August 30, 2018, 02:41:22 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 02:47:48 pm »
Hi! Thanks so much for this camp, I'll be using it this year.

Quick question: How do the castles work? I see the templates but I'm not sure how the students do it.

Also, for the last day, how did you work the obstacle course or dodgeball? There's not anything on the PPT.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 01:33:23 pm »
Hi. I have to say, this is my first time running an English camp. I would like to thank you for your ideas and information for this camp. Hopefully for winter camp, I am able to contribute something to pay it forward.

You mention that there was a third version. Where can I locate it. I would like to compare the three and choose which one will fit the classes that I am teaching this summer. Thank you again. I will work hard on creating something for the winter camp. Thank you again.

• kldefosse1
  • Newgookin

• September 05, 2018, 08:09:24 am
    • Jeollanamdo, Jeonnam, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 03:38:50 pm »
This is an awesome camp and I am very thankful for it and all the materials. However, there is no description as to how many of the activities are meant to be done. For example the sorting ceremony, there are no instructions and no detailed answers for how the students are sorted.

Does anyone else find this problem? Has anyone written down all the instructions for the camp and not just the camp outline?

Thank you