Read 1343 times

• kchan91
  • Adventurer

• January 07, 2014, 12:36:42 am
    • US
When an elementary student transfers from America to Korea...?
« on: September 02, 2016, 02:54:07 pm »
Okay, so apparently, my school is getting a Korean-American transfer student from the US. The school wanted me and my co-teacher to check the kid's documents to see if they are valid legal documents. (I guess because the documents provided were in English.)

The documents include sealed and signed papers about this kid's schedule which includes the year that he attended his American school, teacher's name, etc. (He's an elementary 1st grader and thus, hasn't attended school (or life) for very long...)

My co-teacher said Koreans usually get some kind of "graduation papers" to serve as proof the student attended a previous school. She wanted to know if there is an equivalent in America. And I have no idea. I think the signed and sealed schedule is fine... I mean, he's 6. He doesn't have a diploma...right?

Anyone have experience and know what legal proof you should provide for the school you're transferring to? Or is the signed and sealed term schedule perfectly fine.

I would lean toward the latter...

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: When an elementary student transfers from America to Korea...?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 03:02:15 pm »
No idea about the US, but in New Zealand, you don't get a certificate for graduating until you get to university. At least that was my experience.

• kchan91
  • Adventurer

• January 07, 2014, 12:36:42 am
    • US
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 03:14:04 pm »
No idea about the US, but in New Zealand, you don't get a certificate for graduating until you get to university. At least that was my experience.

Right! I thought it was the same for the US. (Although, I've never transferred my non-existent child to a new school, so what do I know...?  :cheesy:)

Just wanted to help my co-teacher, though. She seemed lost.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 03:20:35 pm »
In Canada, and the US, the only type of certificate I can think of is your high school diploma. Other than that, I think you can get proof of attendance from the schools. And bring in their report cards I guess.

Possibly transcripts, since the state/province keeps track of that via their student number. A number which the student themselves probably don't know (I didn't know mine until I got my transcripts in the mail my senior year, and I never needed to remember it).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 03:22:24 pm by pkjh »

• chelly90
  • Adventurer

• September 11, 2015, 09:40:10 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 03:23:25 pm »
That seems like the appropriate paperwork for a elementary student transferring schools. Anyway, he is in 1st grade so what does it really matter if it is faked. I mean I understand if the kid showed up with some random non-seal or signed papers. But it sounds legit to me.

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 03:23:32 pm »
Well, normally when you switch schools in America you receive previous report cards and grades - meaning a transcript - (normally just copies/faxes/email scans/etc.) and present it at the front office. I also one time had the new school call up my old school (they didn't believe I had moved so often - Navy brat!).

But no "diploma" in my experience. Especially for younger students.

If the school is so terrified they could always test him, but that seems a little mean to the poor thing!

Good luck!

• gideonvasquez
  • Super Waygook

• August 27, 2015, 08:42:34 am
    • Uisung - Gyeongbuk-do
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 03:29:56 pm »
From what I can remember when I had to prove that I attended schools in Washington (it was a requirement for in-state tuition I think? maybe not, anyways) there was a record of scheduled classes and grades from Elementary grade 3 through grade 12. I honestly don't think anything more official than the sealed schedule exists for 1st grade. There are some kindergartens that do some BS "graduation thing" nowadays but I wouldn't say that's standard.  Also, because of the massive amounts of decentralization in our educations system I can say with a fair amount of confidence that the state he comes from would dictate what documents may or may not exist.

My advice is as follows:
1. Tell them you don't think anything else exists and that the sealed schedule is sufficient. (I don't think it does, I think it is.)
2. If they push you for more information tell them that every state in the US is different.
3. If they push you more, tell them that someone can stay up until 11:00 pm or whenever to call someone and confirm (in English) that there are no documents.
4. If they want a number, every state should have a department of education or equivalent website with contact information.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 03:50:43 pm »
I would say a transcript is what the student needs to submit to your school (or rather, his parents need to request it and submit it on his behalf, that is, if they haven't done so already). If he's entering 1st grade (and only completed kindergarten in the U.S.), then a transcript of his year in kindergarten -- or, if he completed part of 1st grade in the U.S., then a transcript reflecting his school records up until then. But it kind of sounds like the documents you checked seem to include a transcript?