Read 3177 times

• Brian
  • Featured Contributor

• September 19, 2006, 01:07:56 pm
    • Pittsburgh / Jeollanam-do
Some ice at restaurants and coffee shops unsafe.
« on: May 28, 2009, 08:54:53 am »
This comes from the Joongang Ilbo, and other papers.
The Korea Food and Drug Administration said it found potentially harmful germs and high levels of bacteria in iced coffees and ice at 11 well-known chains, including Starbucks, McDonald’s and Dunkin’ Donuts.

The recent investigation, conducted jointly with the National Council of the Green Consumers Network in Korea, involved 153 coffee and fast-food franchise locations nationwide.

Officials discovered that 18 of the locations investigated served drinks or used ice containing either harmful germs or levels of bacteria deemed risky to human health.

The food administration said it found, for instance, that the Hyperion Starbucks in eastern Seoul used ice contaminated with staphylococcus aureus, which is known to cause food poisoning. The ice also contained 12 times the maximum number of a certain type of bacteria allowable by law.
There's a Dunkin Donuts in Yeosu and a Tom n' Toms in Gwangju named.  I posted it to my site.  I'm posting it here because I need a place to host the .doc file of the list of establishments (in Korean) which was previously available only as a .hwp file.  It was compiled by the KFDA.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:59:02 am by Brian »
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Current project: http://www.pennsylvasia.com/