Career Venue => Contract, and Job Related Issues => Topic started by: dmhr25 on November 25, 2011, 03:25:12 pm

Title: Unanswered Question
Post by: dmhr25 on November 25, 2011, 03:25:12 pm
First, let me say that I have been searching and reading on this site for about 1.5 hours trying to find the answer to my question.  (I really detest when people don't take the time to search.)  A lot of people posted good information - but I think I have a new question that hasn't been answered.

I have been in Korea at a public elementary school in Incheon for 15 months.  Today I got my paystub and I was deducted 100,000 won for income tax and 10,000 won for an inhabitant's tax.  I'm a U.S. Citizen  I submitted all the requisite forms last year to be exempt from paying taxes.  I've never paid taxes until this paycheck.

When my new coteacher asked the administration office why, they told her my former coteacher (still a teacher at my school - just moved to be a 6th grade instead of an English teacher) said that I refused to go to immigration and fill out the paperwork.  NO WAY.  (Get out of school and safe money? - YES PLEASE).  This coteacher has near perfect English.  But, she's lazy and a bit of a fibber.  We actually have a really good relationship, though. 

The admin officer told my NEW coteacher that it's too late for me to do any paperwork to rectify this. 

Does anyone know anything about this?  My new coteacher told me that she called the immigration office and the tax office but no one knows.  (Really?)  I'm just stuck.  (And a little angry.)

I appreciate any help.

Title: Re: Unanswered Question
Post by: mcluther2112 on November 26, 2011, 12:28:45 pm
i think there is always something that can be done.

i have been inkorea for 3 years and they are just now taking my income tax for my third year in korea
and they want to take it all in one paycheck.  they fucked up, not me, but now suddenly i have to caugh up over 1.3 million won.  bullshit.

if i were you i would go to the US Embassy to get it all straightened out.  dont trust you coteacher even if her english is good.  these people have a nack for ****** shit up, getting it wrong, misunderstanding, being late, etc.   

allways double check everything in korea and always go to higher authorities like embassies when in doubt.
Title: Re: Unanswered Question
Post by: amoonbot on November 27, 2011, 09:57:37 pm
U.S. Citizens are exempt from income taxes for their first two years of Korea. 15 months is obviously not past the two year mark, so whatever they're feeding you is a crock of shit.

First of all, you don't have to go to immigration to fill out anything. All you or your coteacher needed to do was turn in your paperwork to the accounting office of your school. After that, the accounting person files any additional paperwork with immigration and the tax office.

What doesn't make sense is that suddenly you would be taxed after not paying your taxes for a full year. Once your accounting office filed the paperwork with the tax office, no income tax should be taken from your pay till after the 2nd year has been completed. I came in August 2009 and was income tax free till the start of my 3rd/current year. All I had to do was give the IRS form to my accounting guy and didn't have to worry about anything.

Of course,  I did have a minor road bump when I wasn't taxed the first two months of my third year because my accounting guy forgot and then was forced to pay the lump sum of two months' plus the third month's tax on my third month's paycheck. Regardless, You should still be exempt from income taxes. I'd try to get your coordinator or MOE involved as well. When coteachers refuse to get the ball rolling or can't, you have to start calling around. You'll get different answers from these officers, so it's always good to keep calling. Best of luck to you!
Title: Re: Unanswered Question
Post by: dmhr25 on November 28, 2011, 07:17:08 am
I'm really confused as well.  Thanks for the help.  It's good to know you didn't have to fill out any additional forms.  I am so confused and my school is not being helpful!
Title: Re: Unanswered Question
Post by: dmhr25 on November 28, 2011, 12:16:22 pm
So, after much kicking and screaming, I was given a form to fill out that will allow my 110,000 won to be refunded and future taxes for the remainder of my second year here to not be taken out.

We'll see if this actually happens.

For future reference - if this happens to anyone else - here's the form: