Read 12983 times

Re: Tent for inside the apartment
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 11:44:42 am »
18 degrees is cold?

Well, it's not running around with no clothes on warm....

And I think the point was, even with loads of costly heating on, it doesn't get about 18. So why waste money when you can live like you're camping all winter.

Fair enough. I was actually thinking of this quote from the article when I made that comment.

While the temperature in rooms gets as low as 19 degrees Celsius, the 40,000 won (US$37) tents are quite cozy at 23 degrees.

As low as 19 degrees? come one. Put on some clothes.

EDIT: I guess I'm just lucky. My hairy body and German blood keeps me warm as toast  ;D

People think I'm crazy when I tell them I prefer the summers here rather than the winters haha.

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 11:52:46 am »
On topic, a heating pad alone works fine for sleep but it's still cold getting up in the morning and showering.

Ahhh.. the dreaded getting out of the shower time... the most hated time of my day.

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 12:17:03 pm »
On topic, a heating pad alone works fine for sleep but it's still cold getting up in the morning and showering.

Ahhh.. the dreaded getting out of the shower time... the most hated time of my day.

This is my least favourite time also.

The opening of the bathroom door to my now freezing cold main room from the bathroom...

• specter13
  • Expert Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 10:00:26 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 12:28:38 pm »

The opening of the bathroom door to my now freezing cold main room from the bathroom...

Last August I moved into an apartment that actually uses central vent heating instead of ondol heating. I just turn that on before I take a shower and my place is nice and toasty warm.

But to keep this post semi on topic, wouldn't you be crazy hot in the summer if you use these tents. I understand it would protect you from mosquitos but I think it would get to hot and muggy in there.

• philby1985
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 09:10:49 am
    • Daejeon
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 12:30:41 pm »
People think I'm crazy when I tell them I prefer the summers here rather than the winters haha.

The cold doesn’t really bother me, but I prefer the summer too. I love the hot weather and long days.  8)

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 12:54:07 pm »

Last August I moved into an apartment that actually uses central vent heating instead of ondol heating. I just turn that on before I take a shower and my place is nice and toasty warm.

But to keep this post semi on topic, wouldn't you be crazy hot in the summer if you use these tents. I understand it would protect you from mosquitos but I think it would get to hot and muggy in there.

Yea I wouldn't use these tents in in the summer. But maybe with the air con on it still stays cool.

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 01:01:10 pm »

I think these bed tents (http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=424650468) are for winter. In summer, people use the net-tents to keep out those mozzies.

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

• September 28, 2013, 07:48:34 pm
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 04:38:50 pm »
A second blanket is cheaper.

• Vinnie
  • Veteran

• July 28, 2010, 01:17:42 am
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 11:55:42 pm »
This is looking real nice right about now:

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=424650468

Cheers for this heads up!  :smiley: Just ordered the tent from the above link on gmarket there now. I'll get good use out of it!

A second blanket is cheaper.

If only it were simple as that. My apartment is very much on the cold side. I already have two pretty heavy blankets on my bed and I still wake up in the morning freezing. As such, I see very little appeal in lumbering a third heavy blanket over me in my attempts to not wake up every morning freezing. I also can't leave on the ondol too late or for too long because when my apartment heats up, it becomes quite stuffy and I then find it very difficult to fall asleep.

The indoor tent offers a very happy medium for me. Raising the temperature by a few degrees around me while asleep and whilst still remaining comfortable.

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 01:42:56 pm »
18 degrees is cold?

Well, it's not running around with no clothes on warm....

And I think the point was, even with loads of costly heating on, it doesn't get about 18. So why waste money when you can live like you're camping all winter.

Fair enough. I was actually thinking of this quote from the article when I made that comment.

While the temperature in rooms gets as low as 19 degrees Celsius, the 40,000 won (US$37) tents are quite cozy at 23 degrees.

As low as 19 degrees? come one. Put on some clothes.

EDIT: I guess I'm just lucky. My hairy body and German blood keeps me warm as toast  ;D

Sorry, but yeah, I do.  Ha ha.

It's the humidity that kills more than the heat.  But both are equally represive.  It can be colder here than Canada in the sense that the buildings (except some newer villas) are not insulated, the schools always have their windows open, the clothing sold here (even the western brands) are not made the same and not as insulated. 

Temps in Canada are colder but more dry and less humid with more blue sky.  Buildings very well insulated and heated with none of this open window nonsense.  Also, the winter clothing is well made and keeps you warmer. 

You can escape the cold by going inside and turning on the heat.  In summer, you can't escape it with almost every idiot either not turning on the a/c or only turning it on to 26 degrees.  (I spent a day in Seoul last summer with this 26 degree rule in effect.  By the end of the day, I was so overheated with no cool relief that I almost got violent due to heat exhaustion.)

Until this year, there was more air con usage in Seoul buildings and I use to have my own room where I could crank it to my hearts content.  I'll never complain about the cold again. 

I live in an insulated building and keep my temp at 19 or 20 degrees.  It's plenty warm for sleeping with blankets.  My old building a few years back was cold with no insulation, thin windows, and never heated up that well.  I could have used one of those tents then.  Lol. 

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 11:48:25 pm »
Well I ordered one and it arrived on Tuesday. Been nice and toasty inside. Good purchase.

• specter13
  • Expert Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 10:00:26 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 07:43:15 am »
Well I ordered one and it arrived on Tuesday. Been nice and toasty inside. Good purchase.

I hope this doesn't sound creepy but could post a picture of what it looks like when it is set up?

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2013, 07:49:29 am »

For me, the dreaded time of the day is getting into the shower.  :huh:

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2013, 03:00:30 pm »

Me, it's the time I shave after I've taken a shower. I switched from straight razors (takes 10-20 minutes for the closest shave you'll ever have) to safety razors (takes about 3-5 minutes. My favorite is a 1940s Gillette Tech. Not the closest shaver in my collection, but very forgiving for when you're in a hurry).

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2013, 10:31:34 am »

For me, the dreaded time of the day is getting into the shower.  :huh:

For me the dreaded part is just before getting into the shower when the alarm goes off.

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 12:19:09 pm »

I hope this doesn't sound creepy but could post a picture of what it looks like when it is set up?

Here is the setup. It would be nicer if I had a bigger place, but the warmth is worth it. I just turn it slightly to the side if I want to watch TV while inside. I also bring my Macbook inside from time to time.

16-17C outside the tent (with ondol on). 23-24C inside  ;D

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 02:58:52 pm »
Has anyone else tried this? Apparently it's all the rage here now:

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/south-koreans-use-bedroom-tents-to-keep-warm-this-winter.html

I'm probably gonna buy one. My apartment is drafty and has this huge window that even when covered with plastic, let's too much cold air in. Even with ondol on full blast, it rarely gets above 18/19.

18/19C is fine in the winter. The thermostat was set at 15C in our house when I was a kid.

• jackdaniels
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 18, 2009, 02:00:00 pm
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 03:07:11 pm »
LOL.
The whole point of mankind progressing from temporary shelter to a permanent one has gone out the door with you guys and gals.
Then again I don't pay utilities!  :evil: