Read 64969 times

Pixar Short Animation Lessons
« on: May 09, 2013, 01:41:31 pm »
I was looking for a winter camp and stumbled across someone's Pixar animation camp.  My school ended up using a textbook for winter camp so I didn't use it.  I decided instead to use it for my 5/6 grade after school class.  I extended the lessons so that they would cover 4- 40 minute classes.  I see my kids twice a day on Wednesdays so each short takes 2 weeks for me.

I haven't written up an official lesson plan but I follow this schedule.  Class 1: Preview the animation (Day 1 ppt), watch the video clip, review (Day 2 ppt), and writing time.  (I have my students write each question and then answer it in their English notebook)  Class 2: Summarize clip, Vocabulary wordsearch, Create Comic Strip (I put them into groups and they must come up with a dialogue)  Class 3: Summarize clip, watch animation, spelling test, worksheet, comic strip practice.  Class 4: Comic Strip presentation, check worksheet answers, review game. 

So far I've finished Presto, Oktapodi and For the Birds.  I've attached all the material I've used for each of these shorts.  Thanks to whoever posted the original lesson, I tried to find it again but I couldn't.

I'll continue to post as I finish each new short.  I'm also going to try and simplify this for my 3/4 grade class as I'm having a lot of difficulty with them and I think they'd enjoy something like this that's a bit more fun. 

All the videos can be downloaded using  torrentz or streamed on youtube.

Re: Pixar Short Animation Lessons
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 01:04:43 pm »
This is great!  Thank you for sharing!  I am going to use this for my mixed levels conversation class.  I think that they will really enjoy it and there is so much to talk about.  Thanks again!

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 01:36:47 pm »
Nicely done. Thanks for posting this.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:31:29 pm »
I'm glad some people are able to use this!  I know I needed A LOT of help when I first started teaching. 

I'm uploading 2 more shorts, Partly Cloudy and Gopher Broke. 

I'm still planning on making an easier version for my 3/4 after school class, but I might not get around to that till next semester.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 08:22:58 am »
Thanks for adding these too, more for my archive. I taught two classes the Presto class yesterday. They decided to duplicate classes and "forgot" to tell me until last minute. Pulled that out and let 'er rip, they loved it. Thanks.

• Emer
  • Waygookin

• March 07, 2012, 12:47:09 pm
    • Gangwon-do, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 12:19:11 pm »
These are all absolutely fantastic- thank you SO much! I started with Presto yesterday and we had a lot of fun with it. Such a help, really appreciate the share.  ;D

• Braveanglo
  • Adventurer

• May 02, 2011, 07:19:38 am
    • Bucheon, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 12:39:58 pm »
Thanks SO MUCH for these!!! I've been teaching high school for three years and was suddenly thrust into teaching elementary school again. I've been looking for something fun to do with my conversation classes that I see 5 times a week. I think these will be perfect! Thanks again!

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 02:09:47 pm »
Thank you, your animation lessons save me for my evening classes! Teaching for 1hr40m is a tall order for elementary grades 2-6 so your plans really help me out. I go through one animation a class.

• imasae11
  • Adventurer

• August 25, 2011, 02:35:16 pm
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 12:48:55 pm »
This is fantastic!  Thanks for your excellent and hard work!!!! 8)

• Tiggercs
  • Waygookin

• November 06, 2012, 06:50:46 pm
    • Jeollanamdo
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 08:16:29 am »
This is awesome! Thank you so much! I was looking for something more fun to do with my classes. The download for the For the Birds comic doesn't work for me though. It downloads as index.php for some reason, so could you please repost that attachment?

• jamster
  • Adventurer

• March 03, 2011, 10:45:37 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 01:27:46 pm »
You are amazing! Thank you!  8)

• AnaChina
  • Newgookin

• June 11, 2013, 11:26:43 pm
    • china
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 03:47:17 pm »
wow, these are really creative and fun! Thank you so much!
Have never tried it with short movies, sure kids will love the Oktapodi :)
Can' t thank you enough, alecia_love!

• dmargallo
  • Explorer

• June 15, 2012, 10:43:00 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 02:18:10 pm »
this was awesome! thanks so much.  i really needed a new idea to teaching animation...since ive been making flipbooks and using the animation website (abcya.com/animate.htm) But my kids have really been bored with those.  This was a life saver!! ^^

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 02:36:18 pm »
I'm glad so many people are able to use this.  I did most of the work while I was desk-warming so it gave me something to do!  And again I didn't make them completely from scratch so the real thanks goes to whoever originally made them.  I just expanded them so they'd last much longer.

I'm reattaching the For the Birds comic, hopefully it'll work.

I noticed while doing Gopher Broker last week there were a couple mistakes on the Day 2 worksheet ppt. so double check the answers before you present.

I'm also attaching a new set for Lifted.  I'll be starting that one next week.

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 07:07:47 pm »
Wow! You work so hard! Well done, these are really nice.

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 07:55:54 pm »
awesome stuff got enough of these to fill my summer camps thanks! Ive made a themed bomb game to go with "for the birds" using info from the intro ppt previously posted and a paper aeroplane game template. Hope its of some use.

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 12:40:20 pm »
So it turns out I'm going to use these for my summer camp at my main school with the 5/6 graders.  I'm glad I'll get multiple uses out of these.  Makes the hard work worth it.

I'm going to go through the one's I've done already just to make sure there's no mistakes.  If I find any I'll repost them.  If anyone else has seen any mistakes please let me know.  I'm also going to have my co-teacher double check the Korean for the wordsearches as I've only been using google translate which isn't the greatest.

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 03:15:36 pm »
Great stuff, going to use one of these for my summer camp :)

• strange.r
  • Explorer

• September 01, 2012, 10:41:07 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 09:28:22 am »
These are awesome!! Great job and thanks for putting them here!! :cheesy: :cheesy:
I'm glad you could use them for your camp.

I tried Presto, Oktopodi, and Gopher Broke with my 4th grade after school class. It actually isn't too difficult for them. Sure only the high level one scan say the full sentences, but they enjoyed watching the video and having a more relaxed, "fun" class. (I showed the videos twice since they keep saying "one more time" after it ended).

I made a vocabulary list of 5 key words and 1 key expression (what happened? What's wrong?) for them to learn before answering the review questions. Went over the review questions and told them to remember the answers and then played the bomb games.
The worksheets were great for homework - I used pages 2-3 as when I first tried the worksheet in class, the kids were too busy copying the answers for the first page during the review portion of the lesson. They also got confused when some of the review questions didn't match up with the next question on the worksheet.

Thanks again and great job on these!!

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 10:06:45 am »
These were really helpful to add into my classes- thanks so much!

For my final lesson for 5 & 6 grade, I'm going to do a magic/ magic tricks lesson with them. I used some images from your PPT and added the vocab. I also made a word search and vocabulary match handout. The word search has a hidden message; once you find all the words, start at the top and use the leftover letters from left to right to spell the secret message (have a great summer).

I'm going to teach vocab using the ppt, show the video, review the video and then teach them 3 tricks. I'll finish up with the wordsearch. You can see the links below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty43Z1Afdtk