December 12, 2018, 12:59:39 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1213107 times)

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9240 on: December 06, 2018, 08:36:07 PM »
is it really necessary to leave a note saying "when finish your class, please turn off computer!!" when once - in 10 months - this situation has happened?  :rolleyes: it wasn't even my fault - it must have done some system updates after i pressed "off" then restarted.

Jesus that sort of thing really gets on my nerves.

Recent example...I can't ever remember being late for a class, it's just not me.  The other day I was at my desk when the bell rang and presumably because I wasn't getting up the nano second I heard the bell, my CT said "You've got a class now??".  If I had shown a pattern of lateness then yeah give me a nudge but holy sh*t.

But when my CT and all the other teachers in my office are still chatting and doing nothing and then meander slowly to their classes five to ten minutes late, that's fine.
i accidentally left one of the wall-mounted electric fans on a few months ago, and i am not joking when i say it took a 5-teacher, 30 minute inquiry to discuss it. they were all standing outside the classroom in a circle, occasionally looking at me. it was so laughable, i had a hard time keeping a straight face. i was eventually told off, much like a naughty student would be, and someone came around every night for a while before i went home to make sure they were all turned off  :rolleyes:

if i had left a fan on in england the conversation would have gone like this (if anyone even bothered to mention it, whih they probably wouldn't have)

"oh yeah, you left a fan on last night by the way"
"ah really. didn't know, sorry"
"yeah it's ok. anyway, what are you doing this weekend?"

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9241 on: December 06, 2018, 10:20:06 PM »
is it really necessary to leave a note saying "when finish your class, please turn off computer!!" when once - in 10 months - this situation has happened?  :rolleyes: it wasn't even my fault - it must have done some system updates after i pressed "off" then restarted.

Recent example...I can't ever remember being late for a class, it's just not me.  The other day I was at my desk when the bell rang and presumably because I wasn't getting up the nano second I heard the bell, my CT said "You've got a class now??".  If I had shown a pattern of lateness then yeah give me a nudge but holy sh*t.

But when my CT and all the other teachers in my office are still chatting and doing nothing and then meander slowly to their classes five to ten minutes late, that's fine.

At my school, the HR teacher is more or less required to lead their classes to their specials.  I make classes line up outside in order to calm everyone down, remind them to put out their books, nametag, pencilcase, etc, and then I greet them sort of individually as they enter the classroom. (This is something you will definitely benefit from if you don't do it already! It marks a space between whatever else in the world, and English class time.)

If a class is not ready outside when the bell rings, I always point out--not directly looking at the HR teacher, but kind of, looking at my watch (well, where my watch would be since I don't wear one anymore, but they understand)--"Oh, you guys are late today! I am sure we can be better prepared for English class next time." So, there's no actual face being lost, but they pick it up pretty well.

I also have my Co-T point out to HR teachers the math involved very early on in the year:  Let's say a class meets three times a week.  You're late by a mere three minutes each time.  In one month, that's an entire English class your HR students have missed!  (3X3X4.3=39 min)

So, sorry, Alex--it sounds like you had to leave your desk to get to the classroom?  Yeah, you were late.  It doesn't matter if other people are later. You should be ready to teach when that bell rings! You have 40 minutes of English class, be prepared to use all 40 minutes, and insist on your 40 minutes--otherwise, what are you being paid for?

It's not about being "strict"--it's being only as strict as you need to be. Different classes start in different places, so to speak.  You have to take them from where they are to where you want them to be.  Of course, you pick your battles (this is a hugely important concept) but being prepared and ready for class on time is a no-brainer, as it should be for you or I as teacher as well.

Online MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #9242 on: December 07, 2018, 08:11:09 AM »

At my school, the HR teacher is more or less required to lead their classes to their specials.  I make classes line up outside in order to calm everyone down, remind them to put out their books, nametag, pencilcase, etc, and then I greet them sort of individually as they enter the classroom. (This is something you will definitely benefit from if you don't do it already! It marks a space between whatever else in the world, and English class time.)

If a class is not ready outside when the bell rings, I always point out--not directly looking at the HR teacher, but kind of, looking at my watch (well, where my watch would be since I don't wear one anymore, but they understand)--"Oh, you guys are late today! I am sure we can be better prepared for English class next time." So, there's no actual face being lost, but they pick it up pretty well.

I also have my Co-T point out to HR teachers the math involved very early on in the year:  Let's say a class meets three times a week.  You're late by a mere three minutes each time.  In one month, that's an entire English class your HR students have missed!  (3X3X4.3=39 min)

So, sorry, Alex--it sounds like you had to leave your desk to get to the classroom?  Yeah, you were late.  It doesn't matter if other people are later. You should be ready to teach when that bell rings! You have 40 minutes of English class, be prepared to use all 40 minutes, and insist on your 40 minutes--otherwise, what are you being paid for?

It's not about being "strict"--it's being only as strict as you need to be. Different classes start in different places, so to speak.  You have to take them from where they are to where you want them to be.  Of course, you pick your battles (this is a hugely important concept) but being prepared and ready for class on time is a no-brainer, as it should be for you or I as teacher as well.

Not so sure about your school but all my school bells ring 5 minutes before the class starts so leaving a minute or 30 seconds later does not mean you are late nor neglecting your duties to fill your 40 minutes. I am pretty sure all he was pointing out was the hypocrisy of someone questioning him on something that is way overdone by the other teachers and super rarely if not ever by him.

About the make them line up outside orderly and then do an individual greet outside the class I totally agree. It does get them used to having to line up orderly and then be ready for class. I have used that at any school where I have my own English class and I think it works great.

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #9243 on: December 07, 2018, 08:45:26 AM »

Yeah I thought someone might pick up that.

So...I totally agree that students and teachers should be in the classroom when the bell rings so they're ready to begin.  I learned that when I was at school.  When I first came here, I'd be in the classroom ten minutes before the bell so I was ready.  I quickly realised (and I don't know if this is just my school, English classes in general or Korean culture as a whole) that nobody ever came on time; neither the students nor my CTs.

At my school the bell seems to be the thing that tells you to start heading to the class or to start thinking about heading to the class; again, teachers and students.

I have to disagree with you I'm afraid...if I'm in the classroom before my students and my CT then I'm not late.

So now I just do as everyone else does.  Wait for the bell and still arrive before everyone else.

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9244 on: December 07, 2018, 11:51:03 AM »
My favorite part of winter is how everyone decides it's a good idea to leave all the doors and windows wide open in the hallways. Yes, let ALL the cold air in
The World Ends With You

Online SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #9245 on: December 07, 2018, 11:56:06 AM »
My favorite part of winter is how everyone decides it's a good idea to leave all the doors and windows wide open in the hallways. Yes, let ALL the cold air in

OMG!  I was just having this conversation with my Mom no more than 15 minutes ago.  :laugh:  They do that crap here also.  I went around and closed them all.  It's just as bad in the Spring and Fall.  It's perfect out and the windows should be open, but they keep everything locked up tight so it's sweltering in your classroom.   

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9246 on: December 07, 2018, 11:56:19 AM »

"But it's to clean the air."

"What's that? Couldn't hear you cause you're teeth are chattering."

Offline PatrickBateman

• Waygookin
« Reply #9247 on: December 07, 2018, 12:01:15 PM »
Why does everyone insist on backing in their car at COSTCO.  Are they morons or what?  They come back their car and can't get the cart to the back of their car to load all the stuff. So it takes them 10 extra minutes to carry everything slowly to the back.  Meanwhile, there are no parking spaces.  Do they even think or use logic or simply follow what everyone else is doing?  Like backing in is some sort of rule.  God damn it. 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #9248 on: December 07, 2018, 12:45:18 PM »
Why does everyone insist on backing in their car at COSTCO.  Are they morons or what?  They come back their car and can't get the cart to the back of their car to load all the stuff. So it takes them 10 extra minutes to carry everything slowly to the back.  Meanwhile, there are no parking spaces.  Do they even think or use logic or simply follow what everyone else is doing?  Like backing in is some sort of rule.  God damn it.

If you back in, you pull out. If you pull in, you back out. It's the same thing so I don't understand why you MUST back in, especially considering the reason you said.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9249 on: December 07, 2018, 12:52:28 PM »

"But it's to clean the air."

"What's that? Couldn't hear you cause you're teeth are chattering."

"Clean the air."
These are the same people always complaining about the fine dust :huh:
The World Ends With You

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9250 on: December 07, 2018, 12:55:06 PM »
do i teach a bunch of moron kids? or does this happen to everyone else here, too?

"teacher, hot"
"......................take off your coat then"

Online tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #9251 on: December 07, 2018, 01:02:05 PM »
do i teach a bunch of moron kids? or does this happen to everyone else here, too?

"teacher, hot"

oh shit i thought they were complimenting me  :blank:

:laugh:

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9252 on: December 07, 2018, 01:14:00 PM »

"teacher, hot"

Every winter.

Seriously, there's a variety of options one has when one is too hot indoors. One might...

Open the windows.
Turn on the fans.
Close the heating vent covers.
Turn of the heat.

Oooooooor....

Take off one's bulky winter coat.

I don't understand how all of those other options seem to spring to my students' minds before that last one.

On that note, "Close the door!" has officially reentered my regular vocabulary while I'm in the office. Why people insist on just standing there holding the door open while they have a conversation with someone in the office rather than just coming in and closing the door is beyond me.

Offline Nokcha

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9253 on: December 07, 2018, 01:35:38 PM »
Or they leave the classroom/office without closing the door. During summer and winter....this drives me crazy! Keep the cool in and keep the heat in. Then maybe the air/heat won't be so expensive to run and you won't have to shut it off to save money!

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #9254 on: December 07, 2018, 03:30:00 PM »

If you back in, you pull out. If you pull in, you back out. It's the same thing so I don't understand why you MUST back in, especially considering the reason you said.
Backing is higher risk than going forward.

Backing into a spot is lower risk than backing out because there is no cross traffic when you are backing in.

Driving out is lower risk than backing out because your field of vision is wider.

Most companies that have driver safety training tell people to back into spots.  In fact, in some Canadian provinces, it is illegal to back onto a roadway.

I go nose-in at Costco (I park on the roof at Yangjae) because it makes loading easier, but I still back in everywhere else.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #9255 on: December 07, 2018, 04:51:20 PM »

"teacher, hot"

I've learned that when it's coat season, a lot of students use it as an opportunity to skimp on their uniforms. So if they're supposed to be wearing a vest, for example, that vest stays at home. Or they wear t-shirts instead. And the only way they can stay out of trouble for that is to hide under their coats.

For the rest of them, they don't want to show wrinkled clothing, or they don't want to fuss with leaving their coats on their chairs where it could get dragged or dropped onto the floor. There might be some fear of getting their coats stolen, too, thanks to that issue with North Face coats a few years ago.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9256 on: December 07, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »
even 5 and 6 grade elementary school? they don't wear uniforms, or leave their coats unattended. most of the time, when i say, "uh, take off your coat", they act surprised like, "oh! good idea!", so i genuinely think they hadn't thought of doing that, which baffles me

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #9257 on: December 07, 2018, 05:01:57 PM »

Backing is higher risk than going forward.

Backing into a spot is lower risk than backing out because there is no cross traffic when you are backing in.

Driving out is lower risk than backing out because your field of vision is wider.

Most companies that have driver safety training tell people to back into spots.  In fact, in some Canadian provinces, it is illegal to back onto a roadway.

I go nose-in at Costco (I park on the roof at Yangjae) because it makes loading easier, but I still back in everywhere else.

It's also easier to sqeeze your car into a tight parking space when you are reversing. Simple physics. That is why most Korean drivers reverse park. Because the parking bays are very narrow at most places. Costco ones are actually wide enough for front first parking but most people are so used to the reverse way, they just do it like that at Costco as well.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #9258 on: December 07, 2018, 05:12:57 PM »
even 5 and 6 grade elementary school? they don't wear uniforms, or leave their coats unattended. most of the time, when i say, "uh, take off your coat", they act surprised like, "oh! good idea!", so i genuinely think they hadn't thought of doing that, which baffles me

No, I don't think that's the case for elementary school, just for older students. I've insisted in the past that they take off their coats, and they've refused to do it over and over again until, once the coT is out of hearing range, they finally break down and tell me why they don't want to take off their coats, lol.

At primary school level, it could be because they're always being told to bundle up during cold weather, and will get scolded for not doing it or for taking their coats off, so after a while it probably doesn't really sink in that taking their coats off is an option even when their parents aren't around to tsk them over it.

Once the temperatures drop down to a certain point, many Korean families insist on having the heat cranked way up and to keep bodies as warm as possible, especially for kids. Some push it to the point of being unhealthy. There's a very strong aversion to cold temperatures here.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:18:35 PM by Chinguetti »

Online AWVM_HXE

• Adventurer
« Reply #9259 on: December 07, 2018, 09:53:54 PM »
Many kids in East Asia don't remove their coats inside because their parents tell them not to, as well.

Cold is bad for your health, don't you know. Being cold AT ALL is bad for your health. But if you wear a coat, you will magically stay warm, even if you have been sitting for eight hours where every single other person is like>

*slams open every window*
*leaves all the doors wide open*
*pointedly turns off heat whenever you touch it*

"I don't understand why you're cold, teacher, you're wearing a coat."

...sigh....