November 19, 2018, 06:57:38 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1169132 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9120 on: November 09, 2018, 07:34:56 AM »
1) If you have a Skype number, and it forwards to your cellphone, the call and the forward count as 2 calls in a row for the purposes of bypassing "do not disturb" on an iPhone.

2) if you have a Skype number from the USA, and live in Seoul, this is not a good thing.

Online tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9121 on: November 09, 2018, 07:39:53 AM »
1) If you have a Skype number, and it forwards to your cellphone, the call and the forward count as 2 calls in a row for the purposes of bypassing "do not disturb" on an iPhone.

2) if you have a Skype number from the USA, and live in Seoul, this is not a good thing.

3) If you regularly use Skype in 2018, this is also not a good thing.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #9122 on: November 09, 2018, 08:03:08 AM »

3) If you regularly use Skype in 2018, this is also not a good thing.

I have US and UK phone numbers through them for business.

People are more likely to pick up or call back a local number.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #9123 on: November 09, 2018, 10:39:39 AM »
First two classes of the day went very smoothly. Students all participated, no one was being a dick, got to play fun games to completion. Perfect.

But I kept getting funny looks from all of my students and coteachers. I checked all the usual things, couldn't figure out what the problem was.

Then went into the bathroom and saw this.

WHy DiD noONE TELL MEE!!!

Online alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #9124 on: November 09, 2018, 10:40:52 AM »
Not really ranting but...

I've been working with a substitute English teacher for the past few weeks and she's so awesome.  Organised, tells me things I need to know in good time, gives me feedback on my work, enthusiastic as hell in our classes, easy to communicate with, motivates the students etc...

I've been in Korea for nearly five years and this is the first time I've worked with a coteacher like that. 

She's leaving soon  :cry:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #9125 on: November 09, 2018, 10:42:36 AM »
First two classes of the day went very smoothly. Students all participated, no one was being a dick, got to play fun games to completion. Perfect.

But I kept getting funny looks from all of my students and coteachers. I checked all the usual things, couldn't figure out what the problem was.

You look much younger than I imagined!

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #9126 on: November 09, 2018, 11:00:40 AM »
I liked it better when I didn't see a million threads about American politics on the front page  :cry:

I'd like to note that while I have started two of those American politics threads, they are perhaps two of the most neutrally-titled ones and dealt with BIG stories (Ford-Kavanaugh Hearings and 2018 Midterms). Also, I made sure to specifically structure the 2018 Midterms ones say as to encourage participation by our non-American colleagues here at waygook.org.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #9127 on: November 09, 2018, 11:40:09 AM »
The recent politics voting thread shows 31 for Democrats vs 4 Republicans ... yet most politics threads are started by Trump fans.

They are disproportionately making new politics threads.

Online SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #9128 on: November 09, 2018, 11:49:27 AM »

a little kid with his shirt un-tucked?   :blank:

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9129 on: November 09, 2018, 11:54:16 AM »
Get to school, CT informs me that the schedule has changed. It's going to be:

1st - Free
2nd - 5th g.
3rd - 6th g.
4th - 5th g.
5th - 6th g.

Fine, I sit back for a bit and chill. 9:15, the HR teacher calls and says she made a mistake, the students are one their way.
I scramble to get things ready, it also screws up my schedule as had a listening test planned for the end of the chapter and 20min is not enough time to briefly review and do the test. The IT guy also formatted the computer's HD yesterday and re-installed Windows. What Bill Gates also did was change the f*cking password and not tell anyone what it was. We phoned him and he only got back to us with the password during 2nd period.

Just before the 3rd period, I'm told there's no class and of course, 15min into the period, the other HR teacher calls and sends her students to class, she too made a mistake and forgot the schedule. The schedule has changed again, which basically translates to nobody knows what the hell is going on.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9130 on: November 09, 2018, 12:00:12 PM »
Probably would be having a mental breakdown right now if not for the reassurance I get to attend a concert this weekend. Still have two classes to go, but the worst is out of the way.

It's an Owl City concert by the way.
#Pleasetakemeawayfromhere
The World Ends With You

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9131 on: November 09, 2018, 12:11:59 PM »
Teacher teacher, the board marker is dead etc... Student puts it back in box and grabs another one.

WTF.gif
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #9132 on: November 09, 2018, 12:24:59 PM »
You look much younger than I imagined!

I get that a lot here.  :angel:

a little kid with his shirt un-tucked?   :blank:

A little kid who doesn't know how to button his shirt correctly.  :wink:

Probably would be having a mental breakdown right now if not for the reassurance I get to attend a concert this weekend. Still have two classes to go, but the worst is out of the way.

I'm sorry that you're having a tough day. TGIF

Enjoy your concert back to sanity.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #9133 on: November 09, 2018, 12:33:15 PM »
Teacher teacher, the board marker is dead etc... Student puts it back in box and grabs another one.

WTF.gif

I remember you asking about how to post pics in forums before and then saying later that you forgot how to do it, lol, so:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:34:56 PM by Chinguetti »

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #9134 on: November 09, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »

WTF.gif

I remember you asking about how to post pics in forums before and then saying later that you forgot how to do it, lol, so:

Sooooo.... ?

:laugh:

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9135 on: November 09, 2018, 01:07:13 PM »
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9136 on: November 09, 2018, 01:09:10 PM »
Cheers fam. I won't forget this time i promise!  :wink:

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9137 on: November 09, 2018, 01:21:09 PM »

I'm sorry that you're having a tough day. TGIF

Enjoy your concert back to sanity.

I appreciate it. Many of you on here are more reassuring than my CT who smiles and says "Don't worry! I feel like it's useless too!"
The World Ends With You

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #9138 on: November 11, 2018, 01:37:45 PM »
Taleo job application systems are so frustrating!

>:(

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9139 on: November 12, 2018, 12:32:27 PM »
Posting on behalf of someone else

Wife just called me, in tears, to tell me about the final straw with her school. It's a big elementary school, with rather large classes and the behaviour has been rapidly getting out of control. Today, to boys were drawing penises on their desks and my wife and the CT told them to erase it, they refused. Another girl refused to stop playing on her phone, during class. I've never heard of elementary school students being this disrespectful. They swear at the CT, argue with them and refuse to listen.

All this as bad, but the final straw, the SCUM of the f*cking Earth is her CT. For the third time now, things have gotten really bad in class, students openly defying and laughing at my wife and CT, as things get more heated, what does the CT do? This f*cking coward leaves the class and runs away. No, she doesn't get help, she just runs away, leaving my wife alone to handle a bunch of very volatile students. My wife spotted the CT peeking around the corner of the corridor into the class. As said, this is the 3rd time the CT has simply run away with no concern for for anyone other than herself. When she does get back, she openly undermines my wife's authority, when my wife tries to discipline and reprimand them, by letting them off with not doing the writing out my wife gives them or simply taking their side.
What's the bloody other "side" of the argument when a student calls a teacher a bitch, in front of everyone, laughs and refuses to do anything they're told? What makes it worse, she's the head teacher too. Low and behold, one of the boys parents was actually called in, earlier this year, to discuss the problem with the VP. The mother flat out refused to accept that her child could be the only problem, and the meek little VP could do nothing but let her have her way.

My wife will be demanding a transfer to a new school for the start of the new school term. This type of non-confrontational, face saving cowardice is far too common in Korea to be called an isolated case. Though the degree varies, it's a cultural endemic. I don't care if I sound a bit racist, I've lived here long enough to earn an opinion, I'm more inclined to believe that the yellow Asian stereotype has its roots in the colour of the blood, not the skin.

Rant over