December 11, 2018, 02:02:38 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1210483 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8440 on: July 11, 2018, 09:17:38 AM »
I can't really wrap my mind around people who try to tell you that your definition of an English word is wrong because it doesn't fit the way their culture has adopted and incorrectly (based on a misunderstanding of the word) uses it.

Don't try to ****** lecture me that the word "panties" is most appropriately used to refer to all underwear. If that's how you want to use it in Korea, fine, I'm not going to argue with you, but don't try to tell the rest of the English-speaking world how they should use their own gawddamn word. INCLUDING HOW IT SHOULD BE PRONOUNCED WTFUCKITYFUCKFUCK

Maybe I should just tell them that they should refer to all vegetable side-dishes as kimchi because it's just too confusing otherwise, and if they try to argue with that tell them this is how all foreigners view Korean side-dishes so it must be the most correct way. ****** hell, the egocentrism and ethnocentrism in some folks is extreme.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:35:07 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8441 on: July 11, 2018, 10:21:57 AM »
I just don't get it. My CT is aware of my ongoing medical issue. I had to come into school even after my visit to the hospital on Monday. She asks me if I can change the time of my next appointment, even though the time slots weren't flexible at all. And now she wants me to change it from 9:30 next Monday to 11:30, that way I can teach one class 1st period (only showing a movie, mind you) and then be off to the hospital across town.

Just let me rest dammit  :cry:

Don't try to ****** lecture me that the word "panties" is most appropriately used to refer to all underwear. If that's how you want to use it in Korea, fine, I'm not going to argue with you, but don't try to tell the rest of the English-speaking world how they should use their own gawddamn word. INCLUDING HOW IT SHOULD BE PRONOUNCED WTFUCKITYFUCKFUCK

Me: This is a hot dog. *Shows the American style hot dog*
Student: No teacher. THIS is hot dog. *Shows the Korean hot dog which is a glorified corn dog*

I feel ya Chinguetti...
The World Ends With You

donovan

« Reply #8442 on: July 11, 2018, 10:26:28 AM »
a glorified corn dog*

and this is a glorious corn dog

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8443 on: July 11, 2018, 10:30:57 AM »
a glorified corn dog*

Heart disease on a stick.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8444 on: July 11, 2018, 10:35:47 AM »
a glorified corn dog*

Not complete without the sugar.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8445 on: July 11, 2018, 10:36:24 AM »
a glorified corn dog*

Adding corn to something never helps.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8446 on: July 11, 2018, 11:06:07 AM »

I might have some sympathy for this if not for the west, and especially America's record of utterly butchering everything. We take words from around the world and change their meaning in English, then insist the rest of the world that they learn it that way.

English teacher to Italian students: "You're saying it wrong. It's Rome, not Roma."  :rolleyes:

This is part of the joy of cross-cultural language exchange- stuff like this happens and we get some interesting and amusing results. Lighten up.

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #8447 on: July 11, 2018, 11:14:06 AM »

I might have some sympathy for this if not for the west, and especially America's record of utterly butchering everything. We take words from around the world and change their meaning in English, then insist the rest of the world that they learn it that way.

English teacher to Italian students: "You're saying it wrong. It's Rome, not Roma."  :rolleyes:

This is part of the joy of cross-cultural language exchange- stuff like this happens and we get some interesting and amusing results. Lighten up.
If an Italian told an American that it's called Roma, no one but very very stupid, would argue. Your example and argument is terrible.

And in English the city is called Rome. That is the correct English pronunciation.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

donovan

« Reply #8448 on: July 11, 2018, 11:17:23 AM »

Rome and Roma share the same meaning, and I don't think chinguetti would ever tell an Italian she was saying it wrong.

But your right on the last part. I rather like the clever ways Koreans have rebranded panties.

This all reminds me of a nickname a kid made for me a couple years back. from 도노반 to 도 노-빤스. Cute little f*cker. I got him back though~ :evil:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:22:01 AM by donovan »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8449 on: July 11, 2018, 11:29:41 AM »

With all due respect, this isn't just about how a city's name is pronounced in different parts of the world. This is about commonly used vocabulary in a completely different language getting redefined to suit a person's ego.

It's true, it can be interesting and amusing to see how other cultures adopt foreign words. Language is always evolving in part due to outside influences. English itself is a major hybrid with a long, long history. I don't have a problem with that. I don't get miffed over konglish, either.

I DO have a problem with some people's attitudes over it, though. Folks approaching ME and asking ME a question about the common use of an English word in America, disagreeing with what I tell them about it, going on to lecture me about the "correct" way to use the word and that this is how Americans should use the word, and then getting angry with and disrespectful towards me when I disagree with them are just ****** annoying. Konglish is not the basis for the English language, it's the other way around, and it shouldn't be used as a dick-measuring stick because it just makes you look insane.

There is a difference between general ignorance and flat-out pigheadedness. I don't care what nationality or ethnicity you are, you've got your ass in over your head if you're going to start a semantics argument with a native speaker over their own language.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8450 on: July 11, 2018, 11:48:42 AM »
The Korean use of "Metropolitan" and "vinyl" also causes confusion.

In Korean English, "Metropolitan City" is part of the formal name of a city, whereas elsewhere it means "and surrounding area".

"Vinyl" in Korean English is soft plastic, regardless of chemical formula, whereas elsewhere it refers to specific chemical compositions, regardless of softness.

I guess the question is, "Is Korean English a dielect, or are these just errors?"

donovan

« Reply #8451 on: July 11, 2018, 11:54:24 AM »
"Vinyl" in Korean English is soft plastic, regardless of chemical formula, whereas elsewhere it refers to specific chemical compositions, regardless of softness.

Vinyl is specifically "plastic bag" here, made even harder to comprehend because they say it 비닐 rather than "Vㅏ이늘". Does anybody in the West say vinyl for anything except vinyl records these days?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:56:03 AM by donovan »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8452 on: July 11, 2018, 11:56:20 AM »
Does anybody in the West say vinyl for anything except vinyl records these days?

For renovating, home materials and construction, yes.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

donovan

« Reply #8453 on: July 11, 2018, 11:57:48 AM »
Does anybody in the West say vinyl for anything except vinyl records these days?

For renovating, home materials and construction, yes.

아 맞다

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8454 on: July 11, 2018, 11:59:31 AM »

Vinyl is specifically "plastic bag" here, made even harder to comprehend because they say it 비닐 rather than "Vㅏ이늘". Does anybody in the West say vinyl for anything except vinyl records these days?

Usually part of a more specific formulation; PVC pipe, PVA glue, etc.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8455 on: July 11, 2018, 01:05:15 PM »
Also, it's not specifically 'plastic bag.' It's, like waygook.org user JNM said, pretty much any soft, plastic or plastic-like substance. Oddly enough, records are not referred to as vinyl.

바이늘
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8456 on: July 11, 2018, 01:52:56 PM »
a glorified corn dog*

I heard about these before I came to Korea--obviously via messenger pigeon--and was really looking forward to giving it a go.  After a few weeks, I see a stall in Dongdaemun market, and ...

...was quite disappointed.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8457 on: July 11, 2018, 02:03:16 PM »
a glorified corn dog*

I heard about these before I came to Korea--obviously via messenger pigeon--and was really looking forward to giving it a go.  After a few weeks, I see a stall in Dongdaemun market, and ...

They don't taste anywhere near as good as they look... Then again, that could be a metaphor for Korea in general
The World Ends With You

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #8458 on: July 12, 2018, 10:22:06 AM »
a glorified corn dog*

They don't taste anywhere near as good as they look... Then again, that could be a metaphor for Korea in general

Yes i had the same one at Dongdaemon Station. It was not very nice. Sort of like the first time i had Paris Baguette garlic bread here - i mean who puts honey on garlic bread? Not to mention i had very sticky fingers and nowhere to wash them.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8459 on: July 12, 2018, 10:43:46 AM »
Wow, I'm so burned out and hate my job so much that I feel nothing but negativity. I've been doing this kind of job for 7 years but I've finally got to the point where I'm about to completely break down.

Really looking forward to my trip to Europe in the vacation.