June 18, 2018, 11:48:38 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 993794 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7620 on: March 09, 2018, 12:42:05 PM »
My VP at my main school is a complete f***ing doo doo head POS ass****. I want to scream!!

Nothing I have ever done over the last few years has ever been right. I will do things exactly as he says, and he changes his mind about everything about 5 times a year, and still no not good enough. I found out last week that he has badmouthed me to basically the entire staff at this school and others, despite the fact that he begged me to stay on this year.

I get along great with my CTs (homeroom teachers) and we were all chatting about after school classes etc and this MOFO starts going on at me about how I need to up my game and what are my plans on how I will teach this year. So I replied, well the books have changed but my teaching methods will be the same, so he says in front of everyone "maybe this year you can actually learn how to teach." I'm an actual teacher, more years experience than him... I want to scream.

I have literally reached boiling point and am ready to phone the POE and give in my 60 days notice.  Like what the hell is his problem?

I am seriously contemplating going to him and explaining to him that he must leave me alone or I will leave.

I am so sorry. It honestly sounds like he's just taking his frustrations and insecurities out on what he perceives is an easy target. Even jealousy, the way he keeps trying to put you "in your place." Definitely feels like he's threatened by you.

That level of disrespect is not okay, not even in Korean society. He's just been allowed to get away with it for far too long. How do the other teachers react to his behavior?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 12:46:57 PM by Chinguetti »

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #7621 on: March 09, 2018, 01:01:06 PM »
I know it's easy to talk a big game and everyone's personal situation is different.....but if anyone I worked with talked to me that way I would not accept it. I would demand a public apology. Disgusting.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7622 on: March 09, 2018, 01:07:31 PM »
My VP at my main school is a complete f***ing doo doo head POS ass****. I want to scream!!

Nothing I have ever done over the last few years has ever been right. I will do things exactly as he says, and he changes his mind about everything about 5 times a year, and still no not good enough. I found out last week that he has badmouthed me to basically the entire staff at this school and others, despite the fact that he begged me to stay on this year.

I get along great with my CTs (homeroom teachers) and we were all chatting about after school classes etc and this MOFO starts going on at me about how I need to up my game and what are my plans on how I will teach this year. So I replied, well the books have changed but my teaching methods will be the same, so he says in front of everyone "maybe this year you can actually learn how to teach." I'm an actual teacher, more years experience than him... I want to scream.

I have literally reached boiling point and am ready to phone the POE and give in my 60 days notice.  Like what the hell is his problem?

I am seriously contemplating going to him and explaining to him that he must leave me alone or I will leave.

I'm sorry to hear that. :'( No one deserves to be treated like that.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7623 on: March 09, 2018, 01:09:36 PM »

Leave mate. Just leave. What's your dignity worth?

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #7624 on: March 09, 2018, 01:34:30 PM »

First, think about it again tomorrow.

Usually wankers like this are the same with every person, Koreans would probably just grin and bear shitty comments like that. 

Have you just started a new contract?  Have you accrued a load of severance?  Do you want to finish?  Sometimes, it's not worth working for a coont like this, as it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.  IF you do want to finish then make sure you tell him that he is the reason and that you'll be notifying the education office and others further up why.  Actually, if you quit early you're obliged to write a notice letter, in that you can outline his wankiness.  As he is a VP at the moment, it could affect his chances of becoming a principal. 

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7625 on: March 09, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »

stuff like this is also why i'm leaving. had a d-bag principal like this in the past too. the guy would walk around just purposefully looking for things to complain about. no matter how perfect the classes were he'd always find some BS thing to complain about.

not saying people like this don't exist in the West, come across a few myself - but there just seems to be so many of them in korea. like they get their jollies from putting other people down and making them feel bad, and about complaining.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #7626 on: March 09, 2018, 02:09:54 PM »
stuff like this is also why i'm leaving. had a d-bag principal like this in the past too. the guy would walk around just purposefully looking for things to complain about. no matter how perfect the classes were he'd always find some BS thing to complain about.

not saying people like this don't exist in the West, come across a few myself - but there just seems to be so many of them in korea. like they get their jollies from putting other people down and making them feel bad, and about complaining.

It's just that if you're old you can automatically become a principal, which is the dumbest shit idea.  My school had an exchange with a middle school in California and my school's teachers couldn't quite understand how the American principal was in his late thirties.  He was great to talk to, and clearly got his job on merit and after numerous interviews, however one of those merits not being his old age. 

There have been a couple of principals I've worked with, who have had an almost childish behaviour, which seems to be prevalent in Korea and mainly it is to just criticise without it being in any way useful or constructive. 

A few year back, I heard from one of my Korean friends that her elementary principal said that he wanted all the female teachers to have sexy haircuts.  :rolleyes:

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7627 on: March 09, 2018, 02:29:01 PM »

There have been a couple of principals I've worked with, who have had an almost childish behaviour, which seems to be prevalent in Korea and mainly it is to just criticise without it being in any way useful or constructive. 

yep. i've heard from many teachers that they get promoted because of how old they are and who they know, rather than on merit. then when they are principal, they take it easy as they know it's an easy road to retirement.

"the vice principal is almost old enough to become a principal" - what kind of dumb fucking rule is that

Online Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #7628 on: March 09, 2018, 03:10:50 PM »
It's just that if you're old you can automatically become a principal, which is the dumbest shit idea.  My school had an exchange with a middle school in California and my school's teachers couldn't quite understand how the American principal was in his late thirties.  He was great to talk to, and clearly got his job on merit and after numerous interviews, however one of those merits not being his old age. 

I suppose if your school's teachers knew that France's current president was 39 (in Western age) when he took office, that would probably make their heads spin.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #7629 on: March 09, 2018, 03:13:06 PM »
I suppose if your school's teachers knew that France's current president was 39 (in Western age) when he took office, that would probably make their heads spin.
But it's okay because his age is balanced out by his wife's age.

Online StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7630 on: March 10, 2018, 01:29:38 PM »
A few year back, I heard from one of my Korean friends that her elementary principal said that he wanted all the female teachers to have sexy haircuts.  :rolleyes:

Do you know where he works now? I haven't actually signed my new contract yet.

Online JVPrice

• Veteran
« Reply #7631 on: March 13, 2018, 11:57:36 AM »
Today I tapped one of my students on the shoulder because he wasn't following instructions (I don't usually do this unless it's absolutely necessary, and I never put my hands on girls). He proceeded to flip out and almost cause a scene in the classroom.

It sure would've been nice if my co-teacher had told me he had mental/anger issues earlier, especially since I've been teaching this student since last semester.  :rolleyes:
The World Ends With You

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #7632 on: March 13, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »
 I am very quickly figuring out which kids are disciplined at home and which ones are not.

This is so incredibly frustrating, more so that I can't lock my classroom when I'm not in it. I came back from lunch to find 20 kids playing in the (dangerously packed) store room, hiding in cabinets 5ft in the air, and throwing things across the room.

Some of them instantly know they messed up just by looking at my face, but the others don't care at all. I'm trying to contact my mentor teacher about the issue but so far no response. It's my second day and the massive troublemakers (who aren't even IN my class) are undermining my handle on the rest of them.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7633 on: March 13, 2018, 02:55:46 PM »
I am very quickly figuring out which kids are disciplined at home and which ones are not.

This is so incredibly frustrating, more so that I can't lock my classroom when I'm not in it. I came back from lunch to find 20 kids playing in the (dangerously packed) store room, hiding in cabinets 5ft in the air, and throwing things across the room.

Some of them instantly know they messed up just by looking at my face, but the others don't care at all. I'm trying to contact my mentor teacher about the issue but so far no response. It's my second day and the massive troublemakers (who aren't even IN my class) are undermining my handle on the rest of them.
Show the devastated ruins of the room to a teacher and let them know that a lock would have prevented it. Maybe add to the mess a little bit, you know, for dramatic effect.
Alternatively, just buy a lock and lock the door on your own initiative. Label the key, and then hang the key up in the key cabinet with all the other keys. After all, forgiveness is much easier to get than permission.  :smiley:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #7634 on: March 14, 2018, 11:46:32 AM »
June 2017: Fax an immigration form with my new passport number and new address.  This is two months after I move but no biggie, right?

Queue yesterday. I go to immigration, docs in hand.

:-* Kevin, you did not notify us of your change of address.

:police: *FACK* Yeah, I sent it in June with my passport form.

:-* It's not in our system. You will have to pay a fine.

:police: *Shiㅜ, I've heard of this. 50 000? 100 000, not the end of the world. Yeah, I only checked one box on the form for passport change, not the address one. I'm an idiot.

:-* Please go to Law Enforcement on the second floor.

---------------------

:lipsrsealed: Mr. Grabb, that will be 500 000W.

:police: FRICKIN. SHOOT. ME. *proceeds to pay out of necessity*

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #7635 on: March 14, 2018, 11:50:33 AM »
June 2017: Fax an immigration form with my new passport number and new address.  This is two months after I move but no biggie, right?

:police: *Shiㅜ, I've heard of this. 50 000? 100 000, not the end of the world. Yeah, I only checked one box on the form for passport change, not the address one. I'm an idiot.

---------------------

This happened to me but I was with the wife and she managed to sweet talk them out of enforcing it.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7636 on: March 14, 2018, 11:50:53 AM »

---------------------

Ouch. That's a rough mistake.

Online JVPrice

• Veteran
« Reply #7637 on: March 14, 2018, 12:09:05 PM »
Today, my class was behind because of some scheduling changes last week. So I was simply going to breeze through the chapter to catch them up. My co-teacher decides that we should go as slow as possible through the chapter in the most boring way possible. After class, she tells me next week we should do EXACTLY WHAT I WAS GONNA DO IN THE FIRST PLACE
The World Ends With You

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7638 on: March 14, 2018, 03:21:57 PM »
I used to like bibimbap, but now I kind of hate it? I think it's because it's used as a cheap lunch option, but I'm also over the gochujang and lack of protein. If I'm going to be eating veggies and rice as an entire meal, I think I'd rather just flavor the rice with soy sauce and sesame oil instead of an either bland or overly salty pepper paste.

Seriously, I'm eating it like twice a week, and I hate it.

I'm wondering if I'll get too much side-eye if I bring in my own condiments and meat for bibimbap days.

["How I lost 500k won"]

I'm sorry, that really is shit. I've been seeing a lot of posts here and there about people getting hit with fines a lot more often now than in the past. Agents still seem to have a lot of discretion about how hard they'll bring that down on someone, but it's like they're getting pressured to hit that button more often.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:27:24 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7639 on: March 14, 2018, 03:31:18 PM »
I used to like bibimbap, but now I kind of hate it? I think it's because it's used as a cheap lunch option, but I'm also over the gochujang and lack of protein. If I'm going to be eating veggies and rice as an entire meal, I think I'd rather just flavor the rice with soy sauce and sesame oil instead of an either bland or overly salty pepper paste.

Seriously, I'm eating it like twice a week, and I hate it.

I'm wondering if I'll get too much side-eye if I bring in my own condiments and meat for bibimbap days.

I say go for it! Our Korean lives are too short to spend them on eating bad bibimbap. I still like it, but that's because I have it maybe twice a year. And even then, it comes with more than just an egg and some carrots and spinach.

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018