August 17, 2018, 05:14:05 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1056508 times)

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7440 on: December 22, 2017, 08:54:25 AM »
I hate it when I refresh Waygook for more forum goodness, only to see that the only recent thread bumps were bumped by gogators.

Haha so true  :laugh:

Also, I wish there could be just one Trump thread.  Do we really need five on the front page?

On the other hand I feel good when I see four or five threads bumped by AvecPommesFrites  8)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7441 on: December 22, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
I hate it when I refresh Waygook for more forum goodness, only to see that the only recent thread bumps were bumped by gogators.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #7442 on: December 22, 2017, 09:09:42 AM »
Also, who proceeds to set their alarm for 6am in the sleeping room and then sleep thorough it for at least 2 or 3 minutes. That happened at least twice.

I sleep through at least 4 alarms out of the 10 have set for the morning.....  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wow. You must be a heavy sleeper. I always seem to wake up on the first ring of my alarm. I am programmed to hear it and it wakes me up.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7443 on: December 22, 2017, 12:22:50 PM »
My job will be changing a bit next year so my second school (where I'm at today) is gonna be cut. Today is the last time I'll have class with most of these kids.

Anyway, I like the majority of them here but one class of first-graders on Friday always manage to ruin my mood. They're just such little shits. Constant attitude and negativity. Of course today was no different. But now they expect to be rewarded with a party and snacks cause today is the last class. Well.

I told them I forgot to bring the candy I'd promised and the DVD drive wasn't working so we couldn't watch a movie (I have Netflix and used it for all the other classes' movie day, though  :wink:). Crestfallen expressions. Cries of anguish. Obviously they were pretty disappointed. I had to work hard at not grinning like the Grinch. Honestly, it made my day. Poor little brats would die if they knew that there's a wide variety of fresh, DELICIOUS candy sitting in my desk drawers. .

Enjoy your boring word search!  :police:

And buh bye! See you never  :azn:

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7444 on: December 22, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »

the behavior of my 6th grade students this year is one of the things that's made me finally pack it in wrt public school teaching in korea. i've had to see these dickheads twice per week, and i've never had such blatantly rude and disrespectful behavior from a group of students before.

some of the things i've seen them do:
- two students using the corridor as an olympic sprinting track to see who could run the fastest
- two students who regularly wrestle each other in the corridor, and who have almost knocked me over on numerous occasions and spilt my coffee all over my clothes on numerous occassions
- a student counting her coins on top of her english book in the middle of class, while she's supposed to be working
- students blatantly and openly reading comic books on top of their english books in class
- students violently (not playfully) punching and kicking each other while the homeroom teacher stands 2 meters away grinning like a moron
- students sitting on the floor and playing games as the bell rings, and even after, because the useless AF homeroom teachers can't even get them seated with their books out in time for class to start (i teach in the homerooms).
- students just getting up and walking out in the middle of class without saying anything to myself or my coteacher
- students throwing their shoes at each other in the corridors outside the classrooms

and that's just what i can remember off the top of my head. i'm sure there's more that will come back to me.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7445 on: December 22, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »

the behavior of my 6th grade students this year is one of the things that's made me finally pack it in wrt public school teaching in korea. i've had to see these dickheads twice per week, and i've never had such blatantly rude and disrespectful behavior from a group of students before.

- two students using the corridor as an olympic sprinting track to see who could run the fastest
- two students who regularly wrestle each other in the corridor, and who have almost knocked me over on numerous occasions and spilt my coffee all over my clothes on numerous occassions
- a student counting her coins on top of her english book in the middle of class, while she's supposed to be working
- students blatantly and openly reading comic books on top of their english books in class
- students violently (not playfully) punching and kicking each other while the homeroom teacher stands 2 meters away grinning like a moron
- students sitting on the floor and playing games as the bell rings, and even after, because the useless AF homeroom teachers can't even get them seated with their books out in time for class to start (i teach in the homerooms).
- students just getting up and walking out in the middle of class without saying anything to myself or my coteacher
- students throwing their shoes at each other in the corridors outside the classrooms

and that's just what i can remember off the top of my head. i'm sure there's more that will come back to me.

This sounds like a normal Korean elementary school, to be honest. You must have worked at some really good schools in the past.

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7446 on: December 22, 2017, 02:29:07 PM »
This sounds like a normal Korean elementary school, to be honest.

and you don't think this is a problem?

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7447 on: December 22, 2017, 02:34:53 PM »
This sounds like a normal Korean elementary school, to be honest.

and you don't think this is a problem?

I think the world has a lot of problems.

I don't like it when students have a rude and lazy attitude towards my class, but playing around in the corridor, even playfighting, is OK as long as nobody is getting hurt. Better for them to let off steam there than in the classroom.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7448 on: December 27, 2017, 08:03:50 AM »
Close the door!!! Close the frakkin door!!!!! CLOSE THE MOTHER FRAKKIN DOOR!!!! Aaaaarrggghhhhhhhhhhhhh
>:( >:( :cry: >:( :cry: >:( :cry:

*woosah only 6 weeks until vacation, only 6 weeks until vacation, only 6 weeks until vacation, you can do it, you can do it*
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline chrisinkorea2011

• Veteran
« Reply #7449 on: December 27, 2017, 08:38:04 AM »

This sounds normal/not that bad considering what I have experienced in some of these schools.

But the constant disrespect and wild behaviour does wear on you. Every time I have class with my 6th graders it makes me more and more happy to buy my ticket home for February. They are just so damn unpleasant and it's like these Korean teachers don't realise it doesn't have to be this way.

I had some of these problems while working with 6th graders in the bigger cities but out in the countryside (their label for the company I work for, not mine) the students are much more well behaved for the most part. The biggest problem I have is students using "새끼야" constantly in class, which to be honest doesnt bother me that much considering that I was a horrible shite when I was their age. I use a military like discipline scheme that involves the other members of their group to help control their peers. "Oh, Jihoon you wanna continue acting up? Well then all of group 5 members can come to the English room after lunch and owe me that 5 minutes of class time that you just wasted."

Works every time.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7450 on: January 04, 2018, 02:40:04 PM »
Definitely answered at least 2 questions entirely wrong on today's writing portion of midterms because I couldn't remember the meanings of the specific terms that needed to be conjugated.  All I could recall is that they were definitely irregular words that I apparently neglected to give proper attention to while studying.  :evil: 

Indulging in a doughnut.  Because you are what you eat?  And my mind feels thoroughly glazed. :blank:

On the bright side, one of the Korean teachers (not mine) consistently thinks my choices of lip colors are "섹시" and makes a point of telling me so every time she sees me. :laugh:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #7451 on: January 08, 2018, 03:06:37 AM »
Y'aint rid of me yet, Korea.

#Koreateaching2018

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7452 on: January 09, 2018, 04:03:31 PM »

#Koreateaching2018

Dare I ask how your vacation went? :lipsrsealed:

More Korean logic: 

Made an inquiry with immigration [last month] about the documents necessary to get a student visa.  Acquired list.  Cool.
Made an inquiry with my school [last month] about the documents necessary to get the student visa. 

School:  It's too early to apply for the visa.  Come back next month, x days before your current visa expires. 

I returned to inquire again. 

School:  Oh by the way, here's a list of additional documents you need in order to get the documents that immigration wants from us. 

...there is honestly zero reason why they couldn't have given me that list LAST month, so that I could have had ample time to prepare/obtain them.   >:( >:( :evil:
Thankfully I happen to have most of the necessary documents on hand but I still had to bug folks back home to notarize/scan send a few things.  I don't mind so much about hurrying to gather things myself but when I have to impose on someone else, that peeves me.  I'm also confused as to why I need to produce all these documents when I'm already currently enrolled.  Literally all I'm trying to get from the school is proof that I registered and a receipt of tuition payment.  That's all immigration needs from the school. 

Also, why on earth do I need to provide evidence of my parentage when I'm not relying on them whatsoever for financial purposes? :undecided: Whatever, Korea. 

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7453 on: January 10, 2018, 07:44:26 AM »

#Koreateaching2018

What??

#timeCO2left!

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #7454 on: January 10, 2018, 07:24:38 PM »

#Koreateaching2018

Dare I ask how your vacation went? :lipsrsealed:

A story for the ages. Haha. Update when I get back. Buy don't worry, I'm having fun.  ;D

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7455 on: January 12, 2018, 10:06:20 AM »
I've had a sore throat for over a week now. I'm pretty sure I have a tonsil problem, as I had a sore throat for a week and a half just 2 weeks ago. This is actually quite painful, not just sore, and when I went to the doctor earlier this week, he looked in my mouth for 5 seconds, wrote me a prescription and said goodbye. RX is clearly not doing anything and my job wants me to go back, but I feel like he is just going to do the same thing and get rid of me as fast as possible.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #7456 on: January 12, 2018, 10:11:06 AM »
I've had a sore throat for over a week now. I'm pretty sure I have a tonsil problem, as I had a sore throat for a week and a half just 2 weeks ago. This is actually quite painful, not just sore, and when I went to the doctor earlier this week, he looked in my mouth for 5 seconds, wrote me a prescription and said goodbye. RX is clearly not doing anything and my job wants me to go back, but I feel like he is just going to do the same thing and get rid of me as fast as possible.

Probably viral tonsillitis. Antibiotics wont do anything. Sometimes takes 10-14 days to resolve by itself.
Can you see your tonsils? Do they look inflammed or have white on them?
They could give you typical otc pain relief. Maybe a steroid to help with the infammation.
Go to another ENT. It's one of the most common types of dcotors clinics you can find here, so there should be another one nearby. Like all Korean doctors, many are shit and do the same thing for every single patient. Some are good though.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7457 on: January 12, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »

Probably viral tonsillitis. Antibiotics wont do anything. Sometimes takes 10-14 days to resolve by itself.
They could give you typical otc pain relief. Maybe a steroid to help with the infammation.
Go to another ENT. It's one of the most common types of dcotors clinics you can find here, so there should be another one nearby. Like all Korean doctors, many are shit and do the same thing for every single patient. Some are good though.
I haven't actually tried looking at them, but when I touch my throat, I can feel that they are swollen some. Unfortunately, many pain relievers, and definitely the OTC ones, don't really work for me since I have a pretty high tolerance. But I will tell them that I want to go to a new doc.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7458 on: January 12, 2018, 10:36:43 AM »

I haven't actually tried looking at them, but when I touch my throat, I can feel that they are swollen some. Unfortunately, many pain relievers, and definitely the OTC ones, don't really work for me since I have a pretty high tolerance. But I will tell them that I want to go to a new doc.

Try looking at the back of your throat inside of your mouth, look for white spots. If you see white spots, the infection is bacterial and you'll need antibiotics, not just pain meds. If there are no white spots, it's most likely viral (antibiotics won't help with that at all) and you'll need anti-inflammatory medication. You should also be drinking a lot of herbal teas (chamomile and green tea are good and won't interfere with meds), water, and lightly salted broth (veggie and/or meat -- I do both) if you aren't already. Maybe gargle with salt water every day, too.

Either way, as zola has already stated, it can take up to 2 weeks for tonsilitis to clear up, but, regardless, I'd seek a second opinion if you feel no improvement at all.

Is the doctor you're currently seeing an ENT or a general practitioner? In any case, you might want to go to a different hospital or clinic as the doctors at your current clinic may not want to contradict each other.

I hope you feel better soon.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:38:59 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7459 on: January 12, 2018, 12:05:41 PM »

Try looking at the back of your throat inside of your mouth, look for white spots. If you see white spots, the infection is bacterial and you'll need antibiotics, not just pain meds. If there are no white spots, it's most likely viral (antibiotics won't help with that at all) and you'll need anti-inflammatory medication. You should also be drinking a lot of herbal teas (chamomile and green tea are good and won't interfere with meds), water, and lightly salted broth (veggie and/or meat -- I do both) if you aren't already. Maybe gargle with salt water every day, too.

Either way, as zola has already stated, it can take up to 2 weeks for tonsilitis to clear up, but, regardless, I'd seek a second opinion if you feel no improvement at all.

Is the doctor you're currently seeing an ENT or a general practitioner? In any case, you might want to go to a different hospital or clinic as the doctors at your current clinic may not want to contradict each other.

I hope you feel better soon.
So much tonsil knowledge~

They took me to the GP because he was a lot closer than the ENT, though I had initially wanted to go straight there. I've been drinking a lot of tea and broth/juk for the most part this week. Here's to hoping that it's bacterial so the antibiotics I was given will work, even if slowly.