May 24, 2018, 04:14:00 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 925208 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7440 on: December 18, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »
These damn kids have given me another cold 3 days before I leave for vacation.  :cry:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7441 on: December 18, 2017, 11:58:24 AM »
I must look very approachable or naive or SOMETHING.

Without a doubt in any mixed group of foreigners and Koreans, the guys or girls who showed up to practice talking to English-speakers for the first time always seem to find me. This happened again over the weekend. Even though I tell them I've been here for FOUR years, they still expect me to gush over soju and shin ramen. "What kind of Korean food do you like? and what more? and what more??" This is not a conversation, this is an interrogation so you can feel good about your culture. "Why did you choose Korea? Why not China or Japan?" He's clearly looking for me to say something about how I love Korean culture, but that's not the reason I came here and I'm not gonna lie. By the end of it he realized my annoyance and goes "ahh, I think you have lost your excitement about Korea..."

Dude. I have been here for four years and I have decided to go back home. Do you really expect me to be WOWing over the same food I've been eating everyday and constantly gives me the shits? I really hate these conversations because I know exactly what they are looking for but I'm not a performance monkey and they're not going to get it from me while I get nothing in return.

More often that not these types actually resent Americans and our presence here. Case in point - he then he went on some rant about how he hates English-named businesses in Korea. He went on and on about how he has to know English for his job which involves parts from an American company (shocker) and how everything in Korea relates to English. Sorry Korea exists in the real world. Sorry Korean isn't the dominant language. He told me that his dream is to open a mandu shop and he's not going to give it an English name like A Twosome Place and  Angel-In-Us. I asked him if he opened a Japanese style or Chinese style restaurant would he give it a Korean name? He said no, of course not. So then why is he so mad about Starbucks-knock offs having English names and decorations? Surely he doesn't think Koreans invented cafes. You'll also find French or Italian names/decorations. If you go to the U.S., Asian restaurants will have random Chinese or Japanese stuff up on the walls. Most Korean restaurants have Korean names, but he was under the impression that everything here is in English and that it's just a breeze for us here because they are so Americanized. What is in English here is usually useless and poorly translated. Don't worry dude, your Korean-ness will be preserved.

TLDR: When your resting bitch face doesn't work and these types of guys find you anyway.

Yikes. What even was the context of him talking to you? Like, was he a friend of a friend or something, or just some rando on the subway or whatever?

Now whenever people like that come up to me and ask where I'm from, I just say, "Why?" and they generally get the hint that I'm not interested in chatting.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7442 on: December 18, 2017, 03:15:33 PM »
It's the kind of situation where an American friend invites their more normal Korean friend and that Korean friend brings their socially ignorant friend just so they can experience hanging out with foreigners in Korea. It was kind of a big group, so I don't know why I got stuck talking to this guy for the majority of the time. This seems to happen a lot, maybe because I'm quiet and thus look open to conversation.

I seem to have that same "approachable" appearance or something.  Oftentimes if I'm at a public transit spot, and NOT even the only one there, somehow some [often elderly] Korean will decide I'm the chosen one they should ask questions about whatever.  Usually I don't know the answer so I can at least tell them politely in Korean that I don't know but then I notice they don't even bother asking anyone else at the stop.  :undecided: 

If only they knew I was actually a foreigner in unintentional disguise  :laugh:

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #7443 on: December 18, 2017, 06:07:47 PM »
Trying to get peace and quite in a jimjilbang is pretty much impossible. I had to get out of my house due to troubles with my wife. I went to a jimjilbang because it was cheap and i like the hot rooms they have. I have never heard such loud snoring and loud behavior in general where people are surposed to be sleeping. Also, who proceeds to set their alarm for 6am in the sleeping room and then sleep thorough it for at least 2 or 3 minutes. That happened at least twice. If you go, then take earplugs or earphones amd play music to block out everyone else or dont go on a weekend or get a hotel. Other than that it was quite enjoyable.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7444 on: December 18, 2017, 07:35:49 PM »
Korea and Japan played football the other day, Korea won.  The match is being shown now.  This is the 5th time i have noticed it being shown.  If Korea had lost, it would never again be shown. 

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7445 on: December 19, 2017, 07:47:00 AM »
Korea and Japan played football the other day, Korea won.  The match is being shown now.  This is the 5th time i have noticed it being shown.  If Korea had lost, it would never again be shown.
That's because no one would watch it.  Similarly, when ESPN ran a documentary about "the perfect season" I would tune in because I'm a Miami Dolphins fan.  However, when they show "Joe Montana: Superstar" or whatever, I'm not so interested.

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7446 on: December 19, 2017, 07:49:00 AM »
Trying to get peace and quite in a jimjilbang is pretty much impossible. I had to get out of my house due to troubles with my wife. I went to a jimjilbang because it was cheap and i like the hot rooms they have. I have never heard such loud snoring and loud behavior in general where people are surposed to be sleeping. Also, who proceeds to set their alarm for 6am in the sleeping room and then sleep thorough it for at least 2 or 3 minutes. That happened at least twice. If you go, then take earplugs or earphones amd play music to block out everyone else or dont go on a weekend or get a hotel. Other than that it was quite enjoyable.

Actually, did you know that snoring usually happens when people are sleeping?

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #7447 on: December 19, 2017, 08:01:20 AM »
Now whenever people like that come up to me and ask where I'm from, I just say, "Why?" and they generally get the hint that I'm not interested in chatting.

You sound like a nice person  :laugh:

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7448 on: December 19, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
Also, who proceeds to set their alarm for 6am in the sleeping room and then sleep thorough it for at least 2 or 3 minutes. That happened at least twice.

I sleep through at least 4 alarms out of the 10 have set for the morning.....  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7449 on: December 19, 2017, 08:48:21 AM »
A friend of mine stupidly offered to help someone with a problem, actually she offered her help through someone claiming to be helping someone. (well that is confusing). Anyway long story short, turns out this guy has literally made up a story that isn't entirely true. There are specks of truth scattered about, but basically he is just swindling people.

The person who he is claiming to help, doesn't want his help or anyone else's and he has completely created his own reality.

So many people need serious therapy!!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #7450 on: December 19, 2017, 08:50:01 AM »
A friend of mine stupidly offered to help someone with a problem, actually she offered her help through someone claiming to be helping someone. (well that is confusing). Anyway long story short, turns out this guy has literally made up a story that isn't entirely true. There are specks of truth scattered about, but basically he is just swindling people.

The person who he is claiming to help, doesn't want his help or anyone else's and he has completely created his own reality.

So many people need serious therapy!!

I feel this needs to be fleshed out a bit more. haha 

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7451 on: December 19, 2017, 08:54:47 AM »
Sinuses are on fire today and giving my nose the surprise drips. Makes it so I have to practically stuff my left nostril with tissue to prevent a sudden gush right in front of my students.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7452 on: December 20, 2017, 01:58:03 PM »
I'm still annoyed about that ridiculous week in Jan/Feb where we have to come to school. Why does that school week even exist? Why can't we just tack an extra week on to the end of the school year instead of leaving for a month then coming back? I could have had nearly a full month for vacation, but nope, it's split in two.  >:(

Offline DivineDimSum

• Adventurer
« Reply #7453 on: December 20, 2017, 02:41:52 PM »
I'm still annoyed about that ridiculous week in Jan/Feb where we have to come to school. Why does that school week even exist? Why can't we just tack an extra week on to the end of the school year instead of leaving for a month then coming back? I could have had nearly a full month for vacation, but nope, it's split in two.  >:(

Hey at least you don't have to desk warm
Bwaa

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #7454 on: December 20, 2017, 03:06:34 PM »
Whenever I bring in some fancy bomb game or choose your own adventure PPT, my CT tells the children that I made it even though I'm sure she knows I didn't. They all go "ohhhh!" and clap for me and it's so awkward because I don't want to make a big deal about it but I also don't see the need in taking credit for someone else's work. Is this why K-teachers often remove the credit from the PPTs they download from waygook? So they can impress their students?

Same happens to me. It hurts me -- I'm the kinda person who will say if the joke I told/funny thing I said was my original content or not.

The students applaud, and then my co-teacher asks why I'm weeping.

"Shame," I reply. "Shame."

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7455 on: December 20, 2017, 03:58:40 PM »
Whenever I bring in some fancy bomb game or choose your own adventure PPT, my CT tells the children that I made it even though I'm sure she knows I didn't. They all go "ohhhh!" and clap for me and it's so awkward because I don't want to make a big deal about it but I also don't see the need in taking credit for someone else's work. Is this why K-teachers often remove the credit from the PPTs they download from waygook? So they can impress their students?

I like to make a clear distinction between stuff I've made and stuff I've pilfered.  If the latter, generally I just told my students that "my friend" made it as somehow that was easier than explaining I downloaded it from somewhere then adapted it \_(ツ)_/

I made SO MANY CARDS though and my favorite coT seemed to enjoy pointing that out to them.   :laugh:  I like to think they appreciated my work, maybe just a smidgen? :cry:

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #7456 on: December 21, 2017, 11:52:20 AM »
maybe made a little mistake in telling one of my co-teachers I was angry with her.
She didn't come to a 4th grade class which lead to me having to send students to get her when two boys started fighting. She had been dealing with a student from I previous class I had instructed her to help but refused to do anything but she needed to be in that class doing her job - assisting students and reprimanding these boys since I don't have the Korean to do that.

The mistake wasn't really that I told her I was mad but I went on to explain that if she's going to hold a student to do work, she should do it on her time not mine, reiterated why she's actually needed in the classroom even if I can run a class without her (I don't have the Korean ability or the class time to deal with the low-level reluctant learners) and that I was angry with her through the year because she fell asleep at the back of the class in four lessons this year.
She apologised and said that I should tell her problems I have immediately (which I should have been I don't feel comfortable doing since I learned in my first year here you need to suck up to your co-teachers if you want a renewal. I've already got my renewal for next year and don't intend on staying after completing my 5th year here so I no longer care).

I also told her she needed to show more initiative and should be assisting certain students without my direction, which she started to argue that she does and I told her fairly bluntly that I don't think she assists the students effectively. In that, she doesn't quite prioritise students the way I wish she would. There's a couple of students in the class I just can't effectively assist while also leading the class (reluctant learners), she will go to students that are low-level but I could assist while she's dealing with someone who needs her specifically. And...well...she seems a bit insulted. I don't want her to feel like I'm picking on her because she's by far not the co-teacher who annoyed me the most this year (even though it's no coincidence the classes I have with her have the worst behaviour. She cares far too much about the students liking her.)

I tried to soften the blow by telling her repeatedly that she is not the only co-teacher I've thought hasn't been doing a stellar job this year but I think that's might just lead to the 5 of us having a sit-down meeting about why they've annoyed me this year when I have other things to do.

I have heard it before from a co-teacher that I 'just don't seem to need assistance' but that just irritates me further because...do they not get that when I'm leading classes they are there for the students? Not for me? I don't need help, but the students do.

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7457 on: December 21, 2017, 12:01:51 PM »
maybe made a little mistake in telling one of my co-teachers I was angry with her.
She didn't come to a 4th grade class which lead to me having to send students to get her when two boys started fighting. She had been dealing with a student from I previous class I had instructed her to help but refused to do anything but she needed to be in that class doing her job - assisting students and reprimanding these boys since I don't have the Korean to do that.

The mistake wasn't really that I told her I was mad but I went on to explain that if she's going to hold a student to do work, she should do it on her time not mine, reiterated why she's actually needed in the classroom even if I can run a class without her (I don't have the Korean ability or the class time to deal with the low-level reluctant learners) and that I was angry with her through the year because she fell asleep at the back of the class in four lessons this year.
She apologised and said that I should tell her problems I have immediately (which I should have been I don't feel comfortable doing since I learned in my first year here you need to suck up to your co-teachers if you want a renewal. I've already got my renewal for next year and don't intend on staying after completing my 5th year here so I no longer care).

I also told her she needed to show more initiative and should be assisting certain students without my direction, which she started to argue that she does and I told her fairly bluntly that I don't think she assists the students effectively. In that, she doesn't quite prioritise students the way I wish she would. There's a couple of students in the class I just can't effectively assist while also leading the class (reluctant learners), she will go to students that are low-level but I could assist while she's dealing with someone who needs her specifically. And...well...she seems a bit insulted. I don't want her to feel like I'm picking on her because she's by far not the co-teacher who annoyed me the most this year (even though it's no coincidence the classes I have with her have the worst behaviour. She cares far too much about the students liking her.)

I tried to soften the blow by telling her repeatedly that she is not the only co-teacher I've thought hasn't been doing a stellar job this year but I think that's might just lead to the 5 of us having a sit-down meeting about why they've annoyed me this year when I have other things to do.

I have heard it before from a co-teacher that I 'just don't seem to need assistance' but that just irritates me further because...do they not get that when I'm leading classes they are there for the students? Not for me? I don't need help, but the students do.

Haha. Oops.

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #7458 on: December 21, 2017, 12:56:36 PM »

Haha. Oops.

I'm over my KTs this year. It wouldn't have bothered me so much since I've been here long enough to expect next-to-nothing from co-teachers but after a disagreement in the summer that included one KT saying a was 'unprofessional' for not doing something she had told me multiple times they would prepare. It really made their lack of professionalism jump out at me.

I honestly wouldn't mind leaving this school but you never know how cr*p the next one will be.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7459 on: December 21, 2017, 01:37:47 PM »
w3k for a tin of Heinz beans.
waygook.org user #nugunugu... OMG avec's picked up a steelchair! God almighty it's a steelchair to the skull. Good god. BANG. ANOTHER shot to the Cranium!

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
The 2018 KOTESOL National Conference. Crossing Borders: Korean ELT in the Modern World. May 12 Kangnam University, Yongin
koreatesol.org/nc2018