October 17, 2018, 01:13:28 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1119337 times)

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7420 on: December 19, 2017, 07:47:00 AM »
Korea and Japan played football the other day, Korea won.  The match is being shown now.  This is the 5th time i have noticed it being shown.  If Korea had lost, it would never again be shown.
That's because no one would watch it.  Similarly, when ESPN ran a documentary about "the perfect season" I would tune in because I'm a Miami Dolphins fan.  However, when they show "Joe Montana: Superstar" or whatever, I'm not so interested.

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #7421 on: December 19, 2017, 08:01:20 AM »
Now whenever people like that come up to me and ask where I'm from, I just say, "Why?" and they generally get the hint that I'm not interested in chatting.

You sound like a nice person  :laugh:

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7422 on: December 19, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
Also, who proceeds to set their alarm for 6am in the sleeping room and then sleep thorough it for at least 2 or 3 minutes. That happened at least twice.

I sleep through at least 4 alarms out of the 10 have set for the morning.....  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7423 on: December 19, 2017, 08:48:21 AM »
A friend of mine stupidly offered to help someone with a problem, actually she offered her help through someone claiming to be helping someone. (well that is confusing). Anyway long story short, turns out this guy has literally made up a story that isn't entirely true. There are specks of truth scattered about, but basically he is just swindling people.

The person who he is claiming to help, doesn't want his help or anyone else's and he has completely created his own reality.

So many people need serious therapy!!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7424 on: December 19, 2017, 08:50:01 AM »
A friend of mine stupidly offered to help someone with a problem, actually she offered her help through someone claiming to be helping someone. (well that is confusing). Anyway long story short, turns out this guy has literally made up a story that isn't entirely true. There are specks of truth scattered about, but basically he is just swindling people.

The person who he is claiming to help, doesn't want his help or anyone else's and he has completely created his own reality.

So many people need serious therapy!!

I feel this needs to be fleshed out a bit more. haha 
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7425 on: December 19, 2017, 08:54:47 AM »
Sinuses are on fire today and giving my nose the surprise drips. Makes it so I have to practically stuff my left nostril with tissue to prevent a sudden gush right in front of my students.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7426 on: December 20, 2017, 01:58:03 PM »
I'm still annoyed about that ridiculous week in Jan/Feb where we have to come to school. Why does that school week even exist? Why can't we just tack an extra week on to the end of the school year instead of leaving for a month then coming back? I could have had nearly a full month for vacation, but nope, it's split in two.  >:(

Offline DivineDimSum

• Adventurer
« Reply #7427 on: December 20, 2017, 02:41:52 PM »
I'm still annoyed about that ridiculous week in Jan/Feb where we have to come to school. Why does that school week even exist? Why can't we just tack an extra week on to the end of the school year instead of leaving for a month then coming back? I could have had nearly a full month for vacation, but nope, it's split in two.  >:(

Hey at least you don't have to desk warm
Bwaa

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #7428 on: December 20, 2017, 03:06:34 PM »
Whenever I bring in some fancy bomb game or choose your own adventure PPT, my CT tells the children that I made it even though I'm sure she knows I didn't. They all go "ohhhh!" and clap for me and it's so awkward because I don't want to make a big deal about it but I also don't see the need in taking credit for someone else's work. Is this why K-teachers often remove the credit from the PPTs they download from waygook? So they can impress their students?

Same happens to me. It hurts me -- I'm the kinda person who will say if the joke I told/funny thing I said was my original content or not.

The students applaud, and then my co-teacher asks why I'm weeping.

"Shame," I reply. "Shame."

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7429 on: December 20, 2017, 03:58:40 PM »
Whenever I bring in some fancy bomb game or choose your own adventure PPT, my CT tells the children that I made it even though I'm sure she knows I didn't. They all go "ohhhh!" and clap for me and it's so awkward because I don't want to make a big deal about it but I also don't see the need in taking credit for someone else's work. Is this why K-teachers often remove the credit from the PPTs they download from waygook? So they can impress their students?

I like to make a clear distinction between stuff I've made and stuff I've pilfered.  If the latter, generally I just told my students that "my friend" made it as somehow that was easier than explaining I downloaded it from somewhere then adapted it \_(ツ)_/

I made SO MANY CARDS though and my favorite coT seemed to enjoy pointing that out to them.   :laugh:  I like to think they appreciated my work, maybe just a smidgen? :cry:

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #7430 on: December 21, 2017, 11:52:20 AM »
maybe made a little mistake in telling one of my co-teachers I was angry with her.
She didn't come to a 4th grade class which lead to me having to send students to get her when two boys started fighting. She had been dealing with a student from I previous class I had instructed her to help but refused to do anything but she needed to be in that class doing her job - assisting students and reprimanding these boys since I don't have the Korean to do that.

The mistake wasn't really that I told her I was mad but I went on to explain that if she's going to hold a student to do work, she should do it on her time not mine, reiterated why she's actually needed in the classroom even if I can run a class without her (I don't have the Korean ability or the class time to deal with the low-level reluctant learners) and that I was angry with her through the year because she fell asleep at the back of the class in four lessons this year.
She apologised and said that I should tell her problems I have immediately (which I should have been I don't feel comfortable doing since I learned in my first year here you need to suck up to your co-teachers if you want a renewal. I've already got my renewal for next year and don't intend on staying after completing my 5th year here so I no longer care).

I also told her she needed to show more initiative and should be assisting certain students without my direction, which she started to argue that she does and I told her fairly bluntly that I don't think she assists the students effectively. In that, she doesn't quite prioritise students the way I wish she would. There's a couple of students in the class I just can't effectively assist while also leading the class (reluctant learners), she will go to students that are low-level but I could assist while she's dealing with someone who needs her specifically. And...well...she seems a bit insulted. I don't want her to feel like I'm picking on her because she's by far not the co-teacher who annoyed me the most this year (even though it's no coincidence the classes I have with her have the worst behaviour. She cares far too much about the students liking her.)

I tried to soften the blow by telling her repeatedly that she is not the only co-teacher I've thought hasn't been doing a stellar job this year but I think that's might just lead to the 5 of us having a sit-down meeting about why they've annoyed me this year when I have other things to do.

I have heard it before from a co-teacher that I 'just don't seem to need assistance' but that just irritates me further because...do they not get that when I'm leading classes they are there for the students? Not for me? I don't need help, but the students do.

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #7431 on: December 21, 2017, 12:56:36 PM »
maybe made a little mistake in telling one of my co-teachers I was angry with her.
She didn't come to a 4th grade class which lead to me having to send students to get her when two boys started fighting. She had been dealing with a student from I previous class I had instructed her to help but refused to do anything but she needed to be in that class doing her job - assisting students and reprimanding these boys since I don't have the Korean to do that.

The mistake wasn't really that I told her I was mad but I went on to explain that if she's going to hold a student to do work, she should do it on her time not mine, reiterated why she's actually needed in the classroom even if I can run a class without her (I don't have the Korean ability or the class time to deal with the low-level reluctant learners) and that I was angry with her through the year because she fell asleep at the back of the class in four lessons this year.
She apologised and said that I should tell her problems I have immediately (which I should have been I don't feel comfortable doing since I learned in my first year here you need to suck up to your co-teachers if you want a renewal. I've already got my renewal for next year and don't intend on staying after completing my 5th year here so I no longer care).

I also told her she needed to show more initiative and should be assisting certain students without my direction, which she started to argue that she does and I told her fairly bluntly that I don't think she assists the students effectively. In that, she doesn't quite prioritise students the way I wish she would. There's a couple of students in the class I just can't effectively assist while also leading the class (reluctant learners), she will go to students that are low-level but I could assist while she's dealing with someone who needs her specifically. And...well...she seems a bit insulted. I don't want her to feel like I'm picking on her because she's by far not the co-teacher who annoyed me the most this year (even though it's no coincidence the classes I have with her have the worst behaviour. She cares far too much about the students liking her.)

I tried to soften the blow by telling her repeatedly that she is not the only co-teacher I've thought hasn't been doing a stellar job this year but I think that's might just lead to the 5 of us having a sit-down meeting about why they've annoyed me this year when I have other things to do.

I have heard it before from a co-teacher that I 'just don't seem to need assistance' but that just irritates me further because...do they not get that when I'm leading classes they are there for the students? Not for me? I don't need help, but the students do.

Haha. Oops.

I'm over my KTs this year. It wouldn't have bothered me so much since I've been here long enough to expect next-to-nothing from co-teachers but after a disagreement in the summer that included one KT saying a was 'unprofessional' for not doing something she had told me multiple times they would prepare. It really made their lack of professionalism jump out at me.

I honestly wouldn't mind leaving this school but you never know how cr*p the next one will be.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7432 on: December 21, 2017, 01:37:47 PM »
w3k for a tin of Heinz beans.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7433 on: December 21, 2017, 02:56:02 PM »

Hey at least you don't have to desk warm
Except I only have three classes that Jan/Feb week, so my vacation is cut in half because I have to deskwarm.  :-[

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #7434 on: December 21, 2017, 03:26:31 PM »

Just tell them 'Pororo made it' (or whatever theme character is involved, if they're older, just tell them whatever parten company of the character made it) and then pick out some random kid to scold for being slightly distracted and move on.

Time's a wastin and the class don't need to know the provenance of the PPT.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7435 on: December 22, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »
I was told that yesterday was my last day at my travel school.  :smiley: I was happy about that because it means I don't have to wake up earlier and wait at the cold bus stop.

I was told today that I need to go there one day next week.  :huh: Now I need to prepare more lessons.

I hope it's too late for them to change their mind about me doing a winter camp there. I've already made my vacation plans.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7436 on: December 22, 2017, 08:48:35 AM »
I hate it when I refresh Waygook for more forum goodness, only to see that the only recent thread bumps were bumped by gogators.

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #7437 on: December 22, 2017, 08:51:54 AM »
Been using some crappy old laptop from the Joseon dynasty at my second school for the past 3 months, randomly turns off during classes etc and takes ages to do anything. Anyway, it finally decided to die and leave me alone so I told my co-teacher the sad news and then she scurried off to the office and got this fancy new Windows 10 laptop out the cupboard that's just been sitting there collecting dust for who knows how long. So now I'm 50% ecstatic that I've got a laptop that functions as a laptop and 50% 'why the f*ck didn't you give this one to me in the first place?' :undecided:
Happy Friday y'all  :-*
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #7438 on: December 22, 2017, 08:54:25 AM »
I hate it when I refresh Waygook for more forum goodness, only to see that the only recent thread bumps were bumped by gogators.

Haha so true  :laugh:

Also, I wish there could be just one Trump thread.  Do we really need five on the front page?

On the other hand I feel good when I see four or five threads bumped by AvecPommesFrites  8)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7439 on: December 22, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: