October 17, 2018, 09:35:40 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1120978 times)

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6460 on: August 07, 2017, 09:44:05 AM »
The mental gymnastics you use to come to this conclusion are really something.

It's not mental gymnastics to conclude that the person MIGHT be genuinely concerned about you freaking out over some spice based on passed experiences with other foreign teachers.

We all know some Koreans are obsessed with how people feel regarding food. Is it really a stretch to imagine that one is worried sick about her NET eating something spicy and having a bad reaction?

I'd probably say it isn't general concern, most likely not really listening to what the OP is saying.
Gotta get in one more rant before vacation!!

I've told my CT several times that I like spicy food, yet every time we contemplate eating something that has even the slightest hint of spice she goes "oh but it's spicy.. I don't know if you can..." HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL THIS WOMAN I LIKE SPICY FOOD.

Like I said, that in spite of this, the CT might have had a past experience where someone freaked out over spicy food and she is worried about this happening again.

As I said, some Koreans can get hypersensitive about food and while "It's not for me" may be no big deal to us, to some Koreans it can be a borderline insult/disapproval towards them and/or their country.

Or the CT could be a complete ass. I'm just saying that there can be more than one explanation for the reason a person acts a certain way and sometimes those are based on life experiences and there is justifiable cause for concern.

donovan

« Reply #6461 on: August 10, 2017, 10:45:11 AM »
My 15 minute bike commute is now an 80 minute bike/subway/walk commute...and back :cry:

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6462 on: August 10, 2017, 11:00:31 AM »
My 15 minute bike commute is now an 80 minute bike/subway/walk commute...and back :cry:
You should probably go back to cycling, then.
 :angel:

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6463 on: August 10, 2017, 11:43:49 AM »
Why did at least 50 Korean people pass through the gates unmolested at Seoul Station to go on the KTX, but little old waegookin me gets picked out for bag X-ray and the wand treatment looking for weapons or sharp objects all to the horror of Koreans and small children looking at the spectacle?

Was it being non-Korean? Or has there been a spate of foreign attacks on the KTX?

Somehow, I think it was the former; tw&ts!!!

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6464 on: August 10, 2017, 11:59:12 AM »
Why did at least 50 Korean people pass through the gates unmolested at Seoul Station to go on the KTX, but little old waegookin me gets picked out for bag X-ray and the wand treatment looking for weapons or sharp objects all to the horror of Koreans and small children lookng at the spectacle?

Was it being non-Korean? Or has there been a spate of foreign attacks on the KTX?

They do security checks at the KTX station? I've never noticed that, and I go through there pretty often. Lucky me, I guess.

I remember back when I was in high-school I had my hair (badly) dyed in all sorts of colours, piercings, and was dressed in the height of grunge fashion. Needless to say, whenever I crossed a border I got the "random" security checks too.

I'm not implying anything here, but I used to have a friend by the name of CJ, and... well... if you're him, they probably need to check you more often and more thoroughly.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 01:34:08 PM by kyndo »

donovan

« Reply #6465 on: August 10, 2017, 12:01:21 PM »
You should probably go back to cycling, then.
 :angel:

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6466 on: August 10, 2017, 12:16:48 PM »
Why did at least 50 Korean people pass through the gates unmolested at Seoul Station to go on the KTX, but little old waegookin me gets picked out for bag X-ray and the wand treatment looking for weapons or sharp objects all to the horror of Koreans and small children lookng at the spectacle?

They do security checks at the KTX station? I've never noticed that, and I go through there pretty often. Lucky me, I guess.

I remember back when I was in high-school I had my fair hair (badly) dyed in all sorts of colours, piercings, and was dressed in the height of grunge fashion. Needless to say, whenever I crossed a border I got the "random" security checks too.

I'm not implying anything here, but I used to have a friend by the name of CJ, and... well... if you're him, they probably need to check you more often and more thoroughly.  :smiley:

CJ is just something I pulled out of my rear.

I dress better than your average Korean and wear a Swiss mechanical watch; I'm hardly a thug or undesirable in most countries that aren't suspicious of white men.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6467 on: August 10, 2017, 12:59:48 PM »
...I used to have a friend by the name of CJ, and...

Quote of the day? Guys?
:laugh:

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6468 on: August 10, 2017, 01:02:53 PM »

Quote of the day? Guys?
:laugh:

;D Get your mind out of the gutter!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #6469 on: August 10, 2017, 02:14:50 PM »
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

donovan

« Reply #6470 on: August 10, 2017, 02:35:23 PM »

Quote of the day? Guys?

쓋! Is it too late to submit an entry?!

I'm not shitting on everyone.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6471 on: August 10, 2017, 11:02:50 PM »
I wonder if she also flips out when she sees non-Koreans use chopsticks!

this reminded me of this excellent article: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2017/02/626_194257.html

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6472 on: August 14, 2017, 01:12:26 PM »
I come back from lunch and find bleach spots on my t-shirt and pants.  I'm not sure if it's from the school bathroom where the kids cleaned or the restaurant I ate at. It just makes me mad that this is a shirt and a pair of pants ruined!!!!

>:(

gidget

« Reply #6473 on: August 15, 2017, 01:57:28 PM »
Today I'm angry with myself.

1 .Had a short conversation with a charming person (who will remain genderless) who started by listing their qualifications and saying they were more qualified than any NETs in Korea and how good they were at their job and how NETs weren't really needed in their classroom. What they missed about the NETs was getting all the creative lesson plans and speaking lessons the NET did.

I SWEAR people don't think before they speak to me.

I didn't say anything. I just stared at her. I can't help feeling I should've said something. I don't know what, I'm still trying to figure that out but I should've said something.

2. A CT and I were talking about stupid things we'd done in our childhoods and I told my CT something stupid I did as a kid (touched dry-ice) that she told the students in her class as a warning of why-you-should't-do-this. She didn't ask me if she could say anything. She just just told her class and everyone else she met. I found out when the kids came to tell me that my CT had told them, "I did something stupid." (Which is true but besides the point)

I'm so angry because I didn't stop to think about the cardinal rule: don't give out any personal information. I didn't confront her afterwards either. She's a nice person but I should've said something.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #6474 on: August 15, 2017, 03:45:57 PM »
Went on a fifth date to play some badminton. All the nets were taken so we decided to play on the stonework that was next to the courts. Bad idea.

I didn't think about how uneven it is. I jumped too high to get the birdie and landed on my right foot.

CCRRRAAACCCKKKKKK

:police: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

:-* OMG, Kevin! Are you ok?

:police: Jesus. Yeah, I've done this before. This one is 10% of that.

:-* Kevin, you are so passionate about what you do.

:police:  :afro: Thanks.

So I've been homebound since Sunday evening............... TBC
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6475 on: August 15, 2017, 03:50:33 PM »

Had a short conversation with a charming person (who will remain genderless) who started by listing their qualifications and saying they were more qualified than any NETs in Korea

I didn't say anything. I just stared at her.

Don't worry, I'm sure the person's gender will remain forever unknown, kudos!  :undecided:

Nyway, as for ranting, well, I'm obvs bored. Had a good summer but vaca is almost done and she rains, oh how she rains! ugh :rolleyes:

I'm not in the swimming pool called Seoul but it's still enough to keep me inside and day drinking... Yay!

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #6476 on: August 15, 2017, 05:18:35 PM »

Had a short conversation with a charming person (who will remain genderless) who started by listing their qualifications and saying they were more qualified than any NETs in Korea

I didn't say anything. I just stared at her.

Don't worry, I'm sure the person's gender will remain forever unknown, kudos!  :undecided:

Nyway, as for ranting, well, I'm obvs bored. Had a good summer but vaca is almost done and she rains, oh how she rains! ugh :rolleyes:

I'm not in the swimming pool called Seoul but it's still enough to keep me inside and day drinking... Yay!

I found the leaker!

Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

donovan

« Reply #6477 on: August 16, 2017, 06:45:02 AM »
1 .Had a short conversation with a charming person (who will remain genderless)

I'm curious why her gender deserves (or doesn't deserve?) mentioning here...?

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6478 on: August 16, 2017, 07:50:14 AM »
First day back, and I have to teach 4 out of 5 periods as opposed to the 2 I was expecting.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6479 on: August 16, 2017, 08:28:13 AM »
Had a nice two week vacation in the states where servers never questioned my ability to consume without complaint the dish I had ordered, but then on the flight home...

Non-Korean Flight attendant: Would you like the beef bibimbap or the chicken pasta?

Me: I'll have the bibimbap

N-K FA: Here you go!

Me: eating quietly  :azn:

Korean FA: sees me eating happily ISN"T THAT TOO SPICY FOR YOU??   :shocked: :shocked:

Me:

I know it shouldn't make me rage so hard but that and the "oooohhh, you can use chopsticks so good!" nonsense are basically the only comments that really grate on my nerves here, plus it was a real nice reminder that vaca was over and I was heading back to the 대한민국! :undecided: