July 19, 2018, 09:44:27 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1040801 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3320 on: December 19, 2016, 08:38:52 AM »
So I had planned an Elf date for my bf and I, and we were going to go ice skating, make gingerbread houses, and then to a movie room to watch Elf. The ice skating place was closed with no notice, the place didn't have elf and neither of the multibangs would let us stream from Netflix to watch Elf, and we couldn't make the gingerbreads wither. Boooo.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3321 on: December 19, 2016, 08:50:44 AM »
we couldn't make the gingerbreads wither.

I don't think that's what you're supposed to do with them.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 신의 모드 아재: 후레쉬~!
« Reply #3322 on: December 19, 2016, 09:08:46 AM »

A withering observation.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3323 on: December 19, 2016, 09:48:19 AM »

Haha, woopsie.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3324 on: December 19, 2016, 10:01:45 AM »
The computer I use at my travel school's English lab is gone. My coT still has her/the main computer. At least the computer lab is next door so I can go there after classes. Apparently they're replacing my computer but can't until they send in all the old ones. Which seems like BS cause my main school didn't have to do replacements that way. Annoying way to start the day

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3325 on: December 19, 2016, 10:03:39 AM »
4th grade just lost their Christmas Party priviledge. Apparently they learned nothing from losing their Halloween Party rights. Merry Bookmas, and a happy study year kids!

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3326 on: December 19, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »
I have never actually heard anyone say the stereotypical "please understand our situation" phrase, until today. I had a meeting with the principal and vice principal and another teacher trying to excuse away the crappy terrible MS class behavior. On Tuesday, they had a period test that I had to proctor and they talked and messed around and cheated the whole time.

In the meeting, they were saying "Oh, we know they are naughty, but please understand them, they are different than American or European students... They are all in the same class for their school years so they have no friends... They don't understand you..." yada yada yada. Ugh. They are the worst.

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #3327 on: December 19, 2016, 11:21:39 AM »
Carrying on the subway theme...

Why don't people take their backpacks off their backs when travelling on the subway when it's busy?

Yes. I hate that. I always carry mine in my hand if the train is full. There is much more space for a bag down near your feet then on your back which hits short people in their face. Not to mention holding phones in your face for the sake of playing candy crush. I try to ride my bike to work as much as possible.   

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3328 on: December 19, 2016, 11:27:37 AM »
A withering observation.
  A note about your withering observation: you're supposed to tape the gingerbread wall together, and then caulk the insides so you dont have messy seams showing.
Wait for it to dry, then flip it and glue the roof on from the inside. Presto! Perfect seams!

Also, using a syringe (obtainable from your friendly street corner vendor)will help quite a bit too!

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3329 on: December 19, 2016, 11:30:21 AM »
I have never actually heard anyone say the stereotypical "please understand our situation" phrase, until today. I had a meeting with the principal and vice principal and another teacher trying to excuse away the crappy terrible MS class behavior. On Tuesday, they had a period test that I had to proctor and they talked and messed around and cheated the whole time.

In the meeting, they were saying "Oh, we know they are naughty, but please understand them, they are different than American or European students... They are all in the same class for their school years so they have no friends... They don't understand you..." yada yada yada. Ugh. They are the worst.

I had something fairly similar happen, but not in a meeting with lots of people. My co-teacher has asked me to make questions, from things in my class, to add to the mid-term / final exams. Only 2 - 3 questions, and they are usually pretty easy. For the final exam, only 4 of my students took notes about my questions in their exams (I didn't give them the answers, just a few things that could be in there + 1 thing that was. only 10 students got the answer right to 1 of the 2 questions I added for the final exam. My co-teacher was then saying to me "are you sure you taught this in your class? only 10 students got this answer correct." Then for a week or so after the exam, was actually asking students if I had taught it, which was AFTER I showed him the lesson I had done that covered it haha.

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #3330 on: December 19, 2016, 11:59:30 AM »

Why are you meeting with the principle and v principle about student behavior?

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3331 on: December 19, 2016, 12:27:24 PM »
   I rarely ever meet with my principles, seeing as I don't have any.  :laugh:

Anywho, on the very rare occasion when I have an unruly class, I definitely bring it up with the relevant authorities (usually the KET for that particular class and their homeroom teacher). If the class was bad enough, or if the previously mentioned folk suck as disciplinarians, I imagine that some people might want to take it one rung up the ladder.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3332 on: December 19, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »

No idea.

I had something fairly similar happen, but not in a meeting with lots of people. My co-teacher has asked me to make questions, from things in my class, to add to the mid-term / final exams. Only 2 - 3 questions, and they are usually pretty easy. For the final exam, only 4 of my students took notes about my questions in their exams (I didn't give them the answers, just a few things that could be in there + 1 thing that was. only 10 students got the answer right to 1 of the 2 questions I added for the final exam. My co-teacher was then saying to me "are you sure you taught this in your class? only 10 students got this answer correct." Then for a week or so after the exam, was actually asking students if I had taught it, which was AFTER I showed him the lesson I had done that covered it haha.
Well this wasn't anything about the test at all, as the test I was proctoring was for Chinese. They just had the test scheduled during my period, which meant I was supposed to proctor the test for them. This is the class where out of 35 I teach ~maybe~ 5 students. The rest just talk, play on their phones, run around, play slapping games...

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3333 on: December 19, 2016, 12:34:51 PM »
   I rarely ever meet with my principles, seeing as I don't have any.  :laugh:

Anywho, on the very rare occasion when I have an unruly class, I definitely bring it up with the relevant authorities (usually the KET for that particular class and their homeroom teacher). If the class was bad enough, or if the previously mentioned folk suck as disciplinarians, I imagine that some people might want to take it one rung up the ladder.
I have tried. This class is legendarily bad, and not just with me, they are like this with all the teachers, though I imagine it is the worst for me. We have had all staff meeting on how to deal with them before.  However, I have tried writing notes to their homeroom teacher, to the discipline office... it doesn't do anything.

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #3334 on: December 19, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »
I was told this winter I would only have one camp at one of my visiting schools.

So, my main school tells me that I must do some 'activities" during desk-warming , something like the just play board-games with the students like last year, no big deal.

So I go talk to the main teacher and I ask her for information.

She says there are 20 students, and it is from 9-12 m-f. No budget.

Ok, I said, this is camp.

She says, no it's not camp.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :huh:

I am so ready to get out of this country.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3335 on: December 19, 2016, 12:53:16 PM »
More than half way into December and I'm still getting woken up all night by 모기

I keep the door to bathroom closed so I don't even know how it got in there sigh

Do you have any holes in your walls from what looks like little pipes hammered into the walls?

If so, mosquitoes sneak in through them. That's why many Koreans will cover them up with tape and stickers during the summer, or just whenever mosquitoes are a problem.

Otherwise, they may be hitchhiking into your apartment by sticking to your clothes as you come and go.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:55:41 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3336 on: December 19, 2016, 12:53:57 PM »
Lunch was extraordinarily bad today. Overcooked carbonara mush, sweet garlic bread, bland white rice and the shitty leftover rice-water slop? Ughh

Carbs on carbs on carbs on blech..

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3337 on: December 19, 2016, 12:58:46 PM »
Not exactly a rant just... whatever

So, apparently 0 students signed up for camp. The coteacher I'm teaching camp with surmised this may be because it was originally scheduled as a three-hour/three-period per day camp, and the students don't have enough time for three-hour camp. Uh... doubtful? To me, at least.

So, she's changing it to a two section camp (morning and afternoon) wherein each section is 2 hours/periods. She asked me if this is ok and I just responded, yeah it seems like a good enough plan. She asked me again if it's ok and I just was like... uh... it's not like I have a choice, right? She nodded.

I don't know if I hope no one signs up or not. During the summer there was talk of me working on curriculum development in the main education office if we couldn't do a camp, but then the principal decided we should do a camp at another school.

It's too late for them to pull that, right? I'd really rather do no camp at all than a camp at a different school again... unless it means that I get to leave work early....

I just want to know the plan already  :undecided:

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3338 on: December 19, 2016, 01:13:06 PM »
School is freezing. Heating is sporadic. That is all.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3339 on: December 19, 2016, 01:21:52 PM »
Lunch was extraordinarily bad today. Overcooked carbonara mush, sweet garlic bread, bland white rice and the shitty leftover rice-water slop? Ughh

Carbs on carbs on carbs on blech..

The only time I ever skip school lunch is when they try to serve some sort of miserable junk like 'spaghetti' or 'carbonara' or sweet 'garlic bread.' There's absolutely nothing worse than when schools try to serve foreign food. It's so gross.

Agree! I'm pretty lucky in that my school lunches are generally really good, but I do wish they would stop trying to imitate foreign foods, particularly the carbonara and cream of mushroom. And the garlic bread.