March 27, 2019, 12:06:45 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1347522 times)

Offline tylerthegloob

• Expert Waygook
  • gg wp
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9460 on: February 14, 2019, 08:49:00 AM »
Have to deal with a gyopo who is basically a real life example of the walking negative stereotype. It almost doesn't seem real. Gawd, what is even this year?

what does that mean?

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9461 on: February 14, 2019, 08:49:20 AM »
Have to deal with a gyopo who is basically a real life example of the walking negative stereotype. It almost doesn't seem real. Gawd, what is even this year?

I'm curious as to what the stereotypes are. I only know one Gyopo, so I can't really judge.
The World Ends With You

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #9462 on: February 14, 2019, 09:09:38 AM »

I'm curious as to what the stereotypes are. I only know one Gyopo, so I can't really judge.

I have met so many American gyopos who put on this "inner city, hiphop" identity. It's very bizarre to hear the first time. I listened to hiphop religiously from...........15 to 18? Let's be honest, it's a pretty damn black scene. So watching these Korean looking American guys speaking EXACTLY like this was very confusing for a while. haha

The stereotype would be, in short, "Defender of Korea whilst not having an idea of what is actually going on."

That said, I can't imagine it's easy for them. Pulled in every damn direction. Immigrant (in certain parts of society's eyes), minority, Chinese kid back home. Foreigner, Ethno-nationalist brethren, mixed person over here. I don't envy it.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #9463 on: February 14, 2019, 09:24:41 AM »

what does that mean?

Something that is living and active.

Pretentious, arrogant, insecure, all rolled into one.

The negative stereotype involves looking down one's nose at other foreigners for any reason and having an unfounded sense of superiority simply for being ethnically Korean, which is usually a product of their own sense of insecurity in the first place (basically an overcompensation to help them cope with feelings of inadequacy). Doesn't matter what their actual background or experience is with the culture, being ethnically Korean somehow makes them an expert in all things Korean, and anything anyone else has to say about their personal experiences with the culture is automatically wrong by default. This often carries into all other areas, too. Without knowing anything about you or your background, whatever you have to say about anything ever is trumped by their superior opinions and non-existent knowledge about whatever subject because this is Korea and they are "Korean".

And if something negative happens to another foreigner, no matter what happened, no matter what it is... it's because that foreigner clearly did something wrong since nothing like that ever happens to them (they kind of refuse to consider the fact that having a Korean face changes one's experiences here). Westerners are all trash.

They will defend Korea to the death. Even if the subject isn't about Korea, they're going to make it about Korea.

Most gyopos I know are nothing like this. I met a few who are, but they were to a minor degree.

The gyopo I'm talking about, though, is basically a cartoon caricature of the whole thing. He is probably the most ridiculous person I have ever met since being in Korea. He was adopted at three and has only been in Korea for about a year, lol.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 05:10:47 PM by Chinguetti »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #9464 on: February 14, 2019, 09:33:00 AM »

Lol, we were all talking about this on another thread just a few days ago.
http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=114458.120

I have met so many American gyopos who put on this "inner city, hiphop" identity. It's very bizarre to hear the first time. I listened to hiphop religiously from...........15 to 18? Let's be honest, it's a pretty damn black scene. So watching these Korean looking American guys speaking EXACTLY like this was very confusing for a while. haha
Cali probably.

I couldn't stand that crap. Though to be fair, some did come from some REALLY crappy neighborhoods and worked in nail and weave stores or liquor stores and a few actually ran with some gangs and stuff. A lot of them are just frontin, but there's enough that have done things real that you can't just assume they're full of it, because if you do and it's the wrong dude...that can end up ugly.

That said, I can't imagine it's easy for them. Pulled in every damn direction. Immigrant (in certain parts of society's eyes), minority, Chinese kid back home. Foreigner, Ethno-nationalist brethren, mixed person over here. I don't envy it.

Well something else to consider is that the more diverse your school and neighborhood, the more likely EVERYONE is seriously into hip-hop and that affects how everyone talks and presents themselves and their fashion. Korean/Black/African/Latino/Caribbean/Arab/Chaldean/Armenian/Russian/Turkish/Persian/Serbian/Vietnamese, usually everyone goes hip-hop when put in that melting pot environment, toss in a little Top-40 and techno.

Like where in my high school the WEIRD kids were the ones who listened to alternative and rock. Everyone else listened to Hip-Hop/R&B/Top-40 Pop. I remember at one point you could see kids of all races wearing FUBU with doo-rags on. Things went both ways too as some black kids would go for a more preppy look and go more towards Top-40 Pop boy bandish-Britney kind of stuff. But the overriding theme for music was "Music you could dance too and none of that guitar shit. Except for the occasional good song/poppy rock song."

The gyopo I'm talking about, though, is basically a cartoon caricature of the whole thing. He is probably the most ridiculous person I have ever met since being in Korea. He was adopted at three and has only been in Korea for about a year, lol.
Minor quibble- adoptees aren't gyopos. Adoptees aren't gyopos unless they were adopted like, after turning 8 or so. The big difference is growing up with Korean vs. American parents and the rules and expectations. A lot of adoptees grew up with minimal or no exposure to Korean culture.

In many cases, they're just an asshole period.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9465 on: February 14, 2019, 09:36:41 AM »
Well now I'm certainly glad my Gyopo friend is nothing like that.

Sounds like just an absolute pain to be around  :-[
The World Ends With You

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #9466 on: February 14, 2019, 11:45:07 AM »
Another thing, they're renovating my classroom, so I'm stuck in one of the teachers' offices for the next two weeks. For some reason, this particular office gets about 5x more traffic than any other office. I feel like I'm in a zoo. I thought I could get some quiet and privacy during lunch, but students keep running in and out of here and catching me with food in my mouth. I'm about to take a walk somewhere just so I can finally unwind somewhere quiet.

Well now I'm certainly glad my Gyopo friend is nothing like that.

Sounds like just an absolute pain to be around  :-[

Yeah, I'm really bummed about this development. And here I thought I was finally going to have someone I could pal around with while at school.  :cry:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:46:49 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #9467 on: February 14, 2019, 11:50:20 AM »
I saw this meme and it made me angry. Rant over.

The joys of fauxtherhood

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #9468 on: February 14, 2019, 12:03:06 PM »
Sounds very similar to someone who i used to work with, but he was half Korean. He had had a rough time growing up in the US in the 70s and 80s. Racism and bullying. Unfortunately, he held on to the bitterness and hurt that it produced and was a nasty, angry little man. Made up lies, treid to get people fired, got pissed that not everyone could speak Korean even though his Korean was at a beginner's beginners level. Would do weird things like thow peoples teaching materials out, pull out plugs and hide them. Convinced he stole my registers and grade sheets one year to sabotage me.

He was like an evil villan in a movie but instead of wanting to blow up the moon or something, he wanted all foreigners out of Korea and for China and Korea to become the new world superpowers.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9469 on: February 14, 2019, 12:14:28 PM »

Minor quibble- adoptees aren't gyopos. Adoptees aren't gyopos unless they were adopted like, after turning 8 or so. The big difference is growing up with Korean vs. American parents and the rules and expectations. A lot of adoptees grew up with minimal or no exposure to Korean culture.

In many cases, they're just an asshole period.

That's actually not true. Gyopo can simply mean anyone of Korean heritage who's living abroad and whose nationality is something other than Korea. The meaning is really wide.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #9470 on: February 14, 2019, 12:18:55 PM »
That's actually not true. Gyopo can simply mean anyone of Korean heritage who's living abroad and whose nationality is something other than Korea. The meaning is really wide.
Not with the Koreans I was with- There were 1st Gen, 1.5s and 유학생, 2nd/Gyopo, and adoptees were separate.

With Koreans in Korea it can sometimes mean that and is often employed for brevity's sake.

Is it different where you're from? We had a TON of Korean adoptees where I grew up so that might be why.

Offline debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9471 on: February 14, 2019, 12:22:39 PM »
Not with the Koreans I was with- There were 1st Gen, 1.5s and 유학생, 2nd/Gyopo, and adoptees were separate.

With Koreans in Korea it can sometimes mean that and is often employed for brevity's sake.

Is it different where you're from? We had a TON of Korean adoptees where I grew up so that might be why.

I mean that's just the "basic" meaning of the word as I understood it.  I guess it's used differently in different places!

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #9472 on: February 14, 2019, 12:36:33 PM »
Did you two just............... come to a friendly conclusion???

Holy hell, mark this day in your calenders.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9473 on: February 14, 2019, 12:44:30 PM »
Did you two just............... come to a friendly conclusion???

Holy hell, mark this day in your calenders.

:laugh: :laugh:

ssh..my troll badge will be taken away.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #9474 on: February 17, 2019, 05:23:41 PM »
Sounds very similar to someone who i used to work with, but he was half Korean. He had had a rough time growing up in the US in the 70s and 80s. Racism and bullying. Unfortunately, he held on to the bitterness and hurt that it produced and was a nasty, angry little man. Made up lies, treid to get people fired, got pissed that not everyone could speak Korean even though his Korean was at a beginner's beginners level. Would do weird things like thow peoples teaching materials out, pull out plugs and hide them. Convinced he stole my registers and grade sheets one year to sabotage me.

He was like an evil villan in a movie but instead of wanting to blow up the moon or something, he wanted all foreigners out of Korea and for China and Korea to become the new world superpowers.

Haha, this brings back memories of a guy I used to work with. Was the pettiest mofo ever. No one could leave him alone in a room if they had something going on because you knew he'd try to sabotage it. He even ruined a coworker's poptarts once by setting the toaster to the highest setting while she went off to the bathroom, lol. He eventually got fired.

That guy, though, had a beef with the entire world. Pretty sure he came from a super abusive background.

Online AWVM_HXE

• Adventurer
« Reply #9475 on: February 18, 2019, 07:53:32 PM »
an asshole period.

What a revolting concept.

Offline vicarious

• Veteran
« Reply #9476 on: February 27, 2019, 08:14:29 AM »
Get to my new school and find that the previous foreign teacher left his office absolutely filthy.  Dust everywhere, clutter everywhere.  Spent the whole morning cleaning up.  Then I find out "drum club/practice" is held in my room every Tuesday, one of the only two days I am at this school.  It was as loud and annoying as you can imagine for two hours in the afternoon.  >:(

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #9477 on: March 04, 2019, 07:58:49 AM »
They keep using my classroom for private meetings.

There are actual meeting rooms for meetings. Why come here?  :cry:

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9478 on: March 04, 2019, 08:37:51 AM »
Spent a lovely long weekend in Japan but as soon as I set foot in the ferry terminal to come back, all those feelings of stress came flooding straight back. 

The incessant noise and shouting, hearing "BALLY WAH" screamed about ten thousand times as loudly as possible.  Getting pushed and shoved in the back, my bag getting knocked over constantly with no apologies etc....

But this annoyed me the most and is something I'd never seen before.  Maybe it's a new phenomenon.  In order to ensure their place at the front of the queue, people would form the queue with their bags first so they could go off and shop, sit down, eat, whatever.  Pics attached.  They were doing it at every check point.

How the hell is that fair?!  I think it got up my nose so much because I'm a Brit and we take queueing very seriously  :evil:

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #9479 on: March 04, 2019, 08:43:26 AM »
Spent a lovely long weekend in Japan but as soon as I set foot in the ferry terminal to come back, all those feelings of stress came flooding straight back. 

The incessant noise and shouting, hearing "BALLY WAH" screamed about ten thousand times as loudly as possible.  Getting pushed and shoved in the back, my bag getting knocked over constantly with no apologies etc....

But this annoyed me the most and is something I'd never seen before.  Maybe it's a new phenomenon.  In order to ensure their place at the front of the queue, people would form the queue with their bags first so they could go off and shop, sit down, eat, whatever.  Pics attached.  They were doing it at every check point.

How the hell is that fair?!  I think it got up my nose so much because I'm a Brit and we take queueing very seriously  :evil:

No announcements about unattended baggage being removed and possibly destroyed? Shame the security was so lax there.