February 22, 2019, 10:00:28 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1303274 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9380 on: January 07, 2019, 04:06:22 PM »
But, you'll want to have the form printed out for the taxes.  In Korea all the times you used your bank card for shopping is totalled up as is any medical costs and will help reduce your tax bill.  Don't be surprised when you owe more money.  The form you get through the digital certificate helps defray that cost.  I only had to pay an extra 40 something last year.  That was lower than quite a few others I know.  You want that paper unless you've never gone to a doctor or use cash exclusively.

Just curious, does a Korean Credit Card count as the bank card for taxes, or is it strictly the bank card? :o
(My Korean CC is with lotte, but connected to my bank (I think) and have mostly been using that for the perks / points instead of my regular atm card).
Both count, but I think the rates are different.

For the bank card, it's around 7M won to get all of the tax perks, if I remember correctly.
Do you know, roughly, what it is for the cred card?
I don't remember. The idea is to minimize cash transactions (i.e. not traceable by the tax man).

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #9381 on: January 07, 2019, 05:27:04 PM »
Maybe they are getting you to sign a paper that says it is okay for them to get the information for you. If it is taxes, you will have to sign in using your bank special certificate. Then you just print out the pages with all the info. Weird they would be doing it already. Usually the end of Feb.

Some Korean jobs/employers start doing it (filing tax forms/paperwork) early, i.e., in January. My current employer always has all of the employees (i.e., me and my co-workers) do/finish/submit our tax forms/paperwork before the end of January, even though the tax office's actual deadline for submitting tax forms/paperwork is in February.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:31:34 PM by Mezoti97 »

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #9382 on: January 07, 2019, 05:29:23 PM »
Side question to this: If you are an American and filled the 8802 form to not pay double taxes, does this apply to you? Since I'm technically paying "American taxes" will I need to submit this information? I've been to the doctor a few times and always use my card when purchasing.

You mean, you're paying taxes both in the U.S. and in Korea...? Or, you're paying taxes in the U.S. but not in Korea...? I mean, I know you wrote "to not pay double taxes," but I guess I'm confused why you would have to pay taxes in the U.S. and not in Korea (assuming that you are working in Korea and earning a taxable income in Korea)?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:30:54 PM by Mezoti97 »

sligo

« Reply #9383 on: January 07, 2019, 07:06:22 PM »
So sitting here desk warming when Admin comes in with some forms I need to fill out (Repot of Deduction)  Okay easy... NOT!  I have ZERO idea what it is that I'm supposed to do with this.  Name (easy) ARN (easy) the rest... NO EFF'ING IDEA!  I've never asked for a paystub but know what I make because it's in my account every month.  Are they paying taxes?  Yes, it reflects in my account.  I have nothing to claim, other than income, but stupid me, thought that the school or the PoE would take care of this for me.  I don't even know how to get this information for my pay.  If some one gives me the NIES (or whatever the site name) don't.  I've tried since day one to access that site and it's going on a year and I still can't log in. 

My main Teacher isn't here, of course... so no help there.  I wish they would have given me this paper work to do while my teachers were around, so in case I needed help....   :rolleyes: 

Oh! and he needs me to return it to him today... FML

In a simple manner:

You have a tax threshold set by the state.  They estimate how much of this will be given via income tax, and how much will come from sales taxes.  At the end of the year they look at how much you have paid, and either take the shortfall from your pay, or refund the excess.  If you declare all your spending (credit/debit car payments or use a tax receipt when paying cash), then they can see how much sales tax you have paid, and will likely have some tax refunded.  Medical costs are also exempt if they come to 3% or more of your salary.

There is more to it than this, but this is just the basics.  If you have bought a lot of things, you may be in line for a refund.  Get a digital banking certificate, and it will make the process much easier.

Offline biancaapato

• Adventurer
« Reply #9384 on: January 08, 2019, 01:53:01 PM »
Side question to this: If you are an American and filled the 8802 form to not pay double taxes, does this apply to you? Since I'm technically paying "American taxes" will I need to submit this information? I've been to the doctor a few times and always use my card when purchasing.

You mean, you're paying taxes both in the U.S. and in Korea...? Or, you're paying taxes in the U.S. but not in Korea...? I mean, I know you wrote "to not pay double taxes," but I guess I'm confused why you would have to pay taxes in the U.S. and not in Korea (assuming that you are working in Korea and earning a taxable income in Korea)?

"Purpose of Form: Form 8802 is used to request Form 6166, a letter of U.S. residency certification for purposes of claiming benefits under an income tax treaty or VAT exemption."

Basically you don't pay Korean taxes because you are exempt and you pay taxes to the United States (which ends up being nothing / very small  since we don't make enough in Korea). This is to my understanding. It's my first year here, so my explanation may not be accurate. If you're not American or from a country that has a tax treaty with Korea, this doesn't apply to you. Even though I submitted form 6166, I still believe I have to file some sort of paperwork within Korea, right? Do I also have to submit paperwork? That's my question. I'm asking because my school sometimes waits until last minute and I don't want to be rushing to find paperwork.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:55:34 PM by biancaapato »

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #9385 on: January 08, 2019, 02:37:15 PM »
So sitting here desk warming when Admin comes in with some forms I need to fill out (Repot of Deduction)  Okay easy... NOT!  I have ZERO idea what it is that I'm supposed to do with this.  Name (easy) ARN (easy) the rest... NO EFF'ING IDEA!  I've never asked for a paystub but know what I make because it's in my account every month.  Are they paying taxes?  Yes, it reflects in my account.  I have nothing to claim, other than income, but stupid me, thought that the school or the PoE would take care of this for me.  I don't even know how to get this information for my pay.  If some one gives me the NIES (or whatever the site name) don't.  I've tried since day one to access that site and it's going on a year and I still can't log in. 

My main Teacher isn't here, of course... so no help there.  I wish they would have given me this paper work to do while my teachers were around, so in case I needed help....   :rolleyes: 

Oh! and he needs me to return it to him today... FML

In a simple manner:

You have a tax threshold set by the state.  They estimate how much of this will be given via income tax, and how much will come from sales taxes.  At the end of the year they look at how much you have paid, and either take the shortfall from your pay, or refund the excess.  If you declare all your spending (credit/debit car payments or use a tax receipt when paying cash), then they can see how much sales tax you have paid, and will likely have some tax refunded.  Medical costs are also exempt if they come to 3% or more of your salary.

There is more to it than this, but this is just the basics.  If you have bought a lot of things, you may be in line for a refund.  Get a digital banking certificate, and it will make the process much easier.

You can use that digital Certificate on the 15th of Jan to DL all your information at www. hometax.go.kr

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9386 on: January 08, 2019, 02:58:37 PM »
not really a rant but probably not deserving of having its own post.  that legal group loft doesn't seem very helpful except to say, call 1345 lately.  im pretty sure the reason people post there is because they are looking to others to guide them and help them out immediately.  and it doesn't help that everyone repeats that calling 1345 can be a colossal waste of time. 

an example of this is where some kid asked about the vacation days applying to private academies.  instead of someone just saying yes or no, some people spent time to actually write out the phone number and website until some kind soul actually answered his question.  even then that question didn't cite the law, just what they remembered from it. 

idk.  i know most people on there aren't lawyers and basically have the same knowledge most us do after researching  things, but if you know the answer i don't see why they just can't answer it. 

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9387 on: January 08, 2019, 03:04:33 PM »
idk.  i know most people on there aren't lawyers and basically have the same knowledge most us do after researching  things, but if you know the answer i don't see why they just can't answer it.

Literally one of my biggest pet peeves.

A: "What is this?"

B: "Why don't you look it up? You have internet."

:blank:
The World Ends With You

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9388 on: January 08, 2019, 03:16:23 PM »

Literally one of my biggest pet peeves.

A: "What is this?"

B: "Why don't you look it up? You have internet."

:blank:

thank you!  i knew i couldn't be the only seeing that. 
i don't care if they people answer saying "we don't care about your feelings"  i get that some people get pissy when they don't hear an answer they don't like.  i just don't get how a question like "do this apply to this?"  is met with "go find out for yourself" 

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #9389 on: January 09, 2019, 07:35:30 AM »
"Purpose of Form: Form 8802 is used to request Form 6166, a letter of U.S. residency certification for purposes of claiming benefits under an income tax treaty or VAT exemption."

Basically you don't pay Korean taxes because you are exempt and you pay taxes to the United States (which ends up being nothing / very small  since we don't make enough in Korea). This is to my understanding. It's my first year here, so my explanation may not be accurate. If you're not American or from a country that has a tax treaty with Korea, this doesn't apply to you. Even though I submitted form 6166, I still believe I have to file some sort of paperwork within Korea, right? Do I also have to submit paperwork? That's my question. I'm asking because my school sometimes waits until last minute and I don't want to be rushing to find paperwork.

Oh, I see now -- you're in your first year working in Korea, so you are exempt from paying taxes in Korea during your first 2 years of working in Korea (since you are a U.S. citizen). I've been working in Korea for many years now, so I do pay taxes in Korea.

As for your questions, I'm not sure -- when I used to work public schools jobs in Korea, I think the administration office at my schools would take care of filing the Korean tax forms/paperwork for me, so I don't think I had to submit/give them anything, but I suppose you could ask your co-teacher to ask your school's administration office to make sure/confirm whether you need to submit any paperwork for Korean tax stuff.

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #9390 on: January 14, 2019, 11:42:22 AM »
YAY!  Yet ANOTHER camp where my Co-Teacher does NOTHING but stands in the back shuffling her feet.  Didn't even help to translate what Iw as saying so the kids were lost....  **sigh**  Only three more days... Thank goodness! 

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9391 on: January 14, 2019, 11:46:57 AM »
YAY!  Yet ANOTHER camp where my Co-Teacher does NOTHING but stands in the back shuffling her feet.  Didn't even help to translate what Iw as saying so the kids were lost....  **sigh**  Only three more days... Thank goodness!

These days when that happens I walk over to them and politely ask them if they could translate.  Shouldn't have to but that's our only option I suppose.

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #9392 on: January 14, 2019, 11:49:52 AM »

These days when that happens I walk over to them and politely ask them if they could translate.  Shouldn't have to but that's our only option I suppose.

I did and I got the typical "huh"?  But, oh well...  Only three days.  No big deal I guess.

Offline biancaapato

• Adventurer
« Reply #9393 on: January 14, 2019, 12:44:06 PM »

Oh, I see now -- you're in your first year working in Korea, so you are exempt from paying taxes in Korea during your first 2 years of working in Korea (since you are a U.S. citizen). I've been working in Korea for many years now, so I do pay taxes in Korea.

As for your questions, I'm not sure -- when I used to work public schools jobs in Korea, I think the administration office at my schools would take care of filing the Korean tax forms/paperwork for me, so I don't think I had to submit/give them anything, but I suppose you could ask your co-teacher to ask your school's administration office to make sure/confirm whether you need to submit any paperwork for Korean tax stuff.

I asked my teacher if I had to submit anything and we went down to ask the person who deals with paychecks / taxes. He said I didn't have to submit anything because of the tax exemption. Hope this response helps other people in the same situation!

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9394 on: January 22, 2019, 09:40:13 AM »
not really a rant.  i noticed that another political thread got locked again.   :rolleyes:   looks like chester got muted in the convo but not savant even though they were talking shit to each other.  two to tango yada yada.  just wondering how the mods determine who gets the mute when it's usually the same people calling each other names?  what's their breaking point to lock down threads?   why not mute everyone involved, maybe they all need a time out?  personally, i think politics needs to be banned.  religion is banned so why not ban something is also very divisive.

now i know we have the same group of people who do this every time on every thread.  it can be a thread about asking how to change the temperature on the thermostat  and *insert name of usual suspects* will somehow claim it's "racist" and that "emails" and that "change subject" to derail a topic.   

just trying to see the thought process of some of these mods.  it's happened on other threads from different mods on different topics.   i don't expect all of the mods to answer, not even sure if they are active or how active they are.  i just checked the mod list (old?) and some haven't been very active.  i'm also bored.   

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #9395 on: January 22, 2019, 09:46:46 AM »
not really a rant.  i noticed that another political thread got locked again.   :rolleyes:   looks like chester got muted in the convo but not savant even though they were talking shit to each other.  two to tango yada yada.  just wondering how the mods determine who gets the mute when it's usually the same people calling each other names?  what's their breaking point to lock down threads?   why not mute everyone involved, maybe they all need a time out?  personally, i think politics needs to be banned.  religion is banned so why not ban something is also very divisive.

now i know we have the same group of people who do this every time on every thread.  it can be a thread about asking how to change the temperature on the thermostat  and *insert name of usual suspects* will somehow claim it's "racist" and that "emails" and that "change subject" to derail a topic.   

just trying to see the thought process of some of these mods.  it's happened on other threads from different mods on different topics.   i don't expect all of the mods to answer, not even sure if they are active or how active they are.  i just checked the mod list (old?) and some haven't been very active.  i'm also bored.

I don't really have much of a process, but usually, what I do is delete all the off-topic name-calling and slap everybody with a 10% warning. Problem is, if there is a repeat offender, those 10% warnings quickly add up. When it reaches 80%, the system automatically mutes the poster. As warning percentages gradually decrease over time, the silence status affliction eventually wears off as well.
Insofar as I know, Mods don't actually directly mute a poster -- they just add warnings until the percentage reaches the mute point.

Other times (when I'm bored), I randomly mute people so that I can be entertained by the resulting drama.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:50:22 AM by kyndo »

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9396 on: January 22, 2019, 10:05:09 AM »
thanks for the answer kyndo.  seems like warnings are being given to the same person instead of being distributed evenly then?  i say that because when i read these threads, i'm not seeing how both aren't being muted with the amount of poopoo they throw at each other.  i know it's pretty much impossible for a person to be non bias so they may give warnings to the person they disagree with.  thanos would not be pleased with the imbalance. 

still though, why not ban politics like they do religion? or at least find a better way to filter the front page? 

Other times (when I'm bored), I randomly mute people so that I can be entertained by the resulting drama.

8)

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #9397 on: January 22, 2019, 10:30:53 AM »
still though, why not ban politics like they do religion? or at least find a better way to filter the front page? 

Modern puritanism rearing its ugly head again. People doing something on a website that has no effect on my life whatsoever, or maybe in an infinitesimal way, but I'm still going to call for it to be banned because I disapprove of it.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #9398 on: January 22, 2019, 11:09:55 AM »

Modern puritanism rearing its ugly head again. People doing something on a website that has no effect on my life whatsoever, or maybe in an infinitesimal way, but I'm still going to call for it to be banned because I disapprove of it.
I donít think anybody is calling for a ban of discussing politics... just a ban on discussing it here, on a site which has a fairly narrow scope which doesnít include that.

Much as how sex between consenting adults isnít banned, but it will get you kicked out if IKEA.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #9399 on: January 22, 2019, 11:37:27 AM »
Exactly. Would you go to the Korea reddit forms and talk about a Western ad? It's irrelevant, meaning it's not nice to waste people's time crowding the space with that they don't want to read because it's unrelated. Bad manners. Maybe pester strangers in a pub if it's so important to you. You can join a discussion meet up then change the topic to Gillette.