December 11, 2018, 04:54:46 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1210592 times)

Offline JNM

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9040 on: October 31, 2018, 01:32:49 PM »
Contrary to what some people on this website might have people believe, the vast majority of Koreans are not  hyper-dogmatic 'this is wrong / this is right' people who nitpick every little thing. BUT! Those kind of people do exist. And they can make your working life absolutely miserable.

I think that is more "Some people will nitpick every little thing if they don't like you, and if they are the highest ranked person in the room everybody else will nod in agreement".

This gives the illusion of a strict code of conduct the everybody is cool with, but it is really just lack of willingness to go against a senior.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #9041 on: October 31, 2018, 01:38:56 PM »
Contrary to what some people on this website might have people believe, the vast majority of Koreans are not  hyper-dogmatic 'this is wrong / this is right' people who nitpick every little thing. BUT! Those kind of people do exist. And they can make your working life absolutely miserable.

I think that is more "Some people will nitpick every little thing if they don't like you, and if they are the highest ranked person in the room everybody else will nod in agreement".

This gives the illusion of a strict code of conduct the everybody is cool with, but it is really just lack of willingness to go against a senior.

Absolutely.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9042 on: October 31, 2018, 01:45:26 PM »

You beat me to it.

Honestly, though you shouldn't be walking around with your hands in your pockets, when at work, I doubt anyone truly gives a crap.
It's basically someone with a modicum of authority taking another opportunity to remind everyone who is in charge, lest they forget.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9043 on: October 31, 2018, 02:05:25 PM »
Saw a lady with a baby strapped to her chest get in the front seat of her car and drive off with the baby still strapped to her chest between her and the steering wheel. I wanted to say something along the lines of, if you crash you will crush your baby or the air bag will crush your baby. A few years ago I would have said something but these days I just think meh, what's the point?  :blank:

Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9044 on: October 31, 2018, 02:18:38 PM »
Saw a lady with a baby strapped to her chest get in the front seat of her car and drive off with the baby still strapped to her chest between her and the steering wheel. I wanted to say something along the lines of, if you crash you will crush your baby or the air bag will crush your baby. A few years ago I would have said something but these days I just think meh, what's the point?  :blank:

At least the baby was strapped to something, I guess. I've seen a few instances of mothers driving along with their babies just sitting in their laps.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9045 on: October 31, 2018, 02:36:11 PM »

At least the baby was strapped to something, I guess. I've consistently seen a few instances,mothers driving along with their babies just sitting in their laps.

I see this kind of stuff all the time.The IF can become a reality at the drop of a hat. I am waiting for the police crackdown. I may be waiting forever...

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9046 on: October 31, 2018, 02:42:28 PM »

At least the baby was strapped to something, I guess. I've consistently seen a few instances,mothers driving along with their babies just sitting in their laps.

I see this kind of stuff all the time.The IF can become a reality at the drop of a hat. I am waiting for the police crackdown. I may be waiting forever...

I see kids not buckled in and crawling around all over the place in the backs of cars fairly regularly. I suppose I'll consider myself (and my blood pressure) lucky that I haven't seen too many lap-babies in the driver's seat.  :laugh:

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9047 on: November 02, 2018, 11:56:29 AM »
Today I had my most dreaded class with the 2nd grade (Middle School) boys.

One of the students asked me if they could use the restroom, and I told him like a lazy father to go ask my CT. I only did this because I knew he was one of the most disruptive students. Later my CT tells me that he and another student are missing and she leaves to find them. This class still remains somehow more behaved than usual.

After they come back, I'm trying to do the listening activities but my CT is chastising them and nobody can hear the dialogue. She had them both stand in the back, and the other kid had the absolute worst attitude (the kind that would get you smacked back home). He sat next to the cleaning cabinet, and started hawking up loogies and spitting them inside, behind and around the cabinet area.

The amount of disrespect this kid had. I would've been furious if my CT wasn't already.
The World Ends With You

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9048 on: November 02, 2018, 12:00:17 PM »
I see kids not buckled in and crawling around all over the place in the backs of cars fairly regularly. I suppose I'll consider myself (and my blood pressure) lucky that I haven't seen too many lap-babies in the driver's seat.  :laugh:

The day after I made this comment, I went and had my annual health check.

Surprise! High blood pressure!

:laugh:

:undecided:

:cry:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #9049 on: November 02, 2018, 12:38:06 PM »
Speaking tests have begun again.

And the pressure to give students undeserved grades is a lot higher this semester than in previous semesters. Their reasoning? That more students are wanting to attend non-technical high schools than in previous recent years, so they want to encourage that.

And it's like... students who put in zero effort for their speaking exam won't do very well in "regular" high school anyway. The only reason why those students even have a chance of getting into a non-technical high school is because KTs have fudged with their scores and grades. And they keep pushing me to do the same, when, honestly, those kids SHOULD go to a technical high school. They're clearly not invested in their academics, so they need to learn a trade instead.

I will not be persuaded. The teachers are just gonna have to start learning to push the students to take the speaking exams more seriously and to stop sheltering them from life. More students would take reality more seriously if teachers weren't so easily manipulated or coerced into rewarding students for putting in little to no effort.

There's just no ****** way I will be pressured into giving a student who can't even answer "How are you?" an 'A'. ********* no.

This is probably why certain KTs kept coming at me with "English is hard" within the last few weeks. They knew that the speaking exams were close and were trying to manipulate me into being "easier" on the students (i.e. giving them high grades regardless of their actual performances). To complete the picture for everyone, they were insisting that I only really needed to do it for certain students, not all (basically, their pets).

I ****** said 'no'. I will never change my mind. I'm actually seriously tempted to be harsher in my grading this year because of the constant pressure. You're just hurting yourself at this point, start ****** realizing that, I will ****** leave Korea before I dole out A's or B's to arrogant brats who refused to put in any effort because they felt entitled and above it all.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:58:01 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9050 on: November 02, 2018, 01:06:03 PM »

And the pressure to give students undeserved grades is a lot higher this semester than in previous semesters. Their reasoning? That more students are wanting to attend non-technical high schools than in previous recent years, so they want to encourage that.

And it's like... students who put in zero effort for their speaking exam won't do very well in "regular" high school anyway. The only reason why those students even have a chance of getting into a non-technical high school is because KTs have fudged with their scores and grades. And they keep pushing me to do the same, when, honestly, those kids SHOULD go to a technical high school. They're clearly not invested in their academics, so they need to learn a trade instead.

I will not be persuaded. The teachers are just gonna have to start learning to push the students to take the speaking exams more seriously and to stop sheltering them from life. More students would take reality more seriously if teachers weren't so easily manipulated or coerced into rewarding students for putting in little to no effort.

There's just no ****** way I will be pressured into giving a student who can't even answer "How are you?" an 'A'. ********* no.

This is probably why certain KTs kept coming at me with "English is hard" within the last few weeks. They knew that the speaking exams were close and were trying to manipulate me into being "easier" on the students (i.e. giving them high grades regardless of their actual performances). To complete the picture for everyone, they were insisting that I only really needed to do it for certain students, not all (basically, their pets).

I ****** said 'no'. I will never change my mind. I'm actually seriously tempted to be harsher in my grading this year because of the constant pressure. You're just hurting yourself at this point, start ****** realizing that, I will ****** leave Korea before I dole out A's or B's to arrogant brats who refused to put in any effort because they felt entitled and above it all.

In Korea, your integrity is the last bastion defending your mental well-being.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #9051 on: November 02, 2018, 01:21:00 PM »

Accurate. I will, very, very occasionally, reward effort or improvement over actual performance. Like, if a student just naturally isn't very good at English (or academics, in general), but they always make an effort to complete all the assignments, participate actively, and really make a genuine effort to learn, I may mark them more generously than I would someone who refuses to pick up a pencil for the entire year. But yeah. I refuse to give free grades to students who literally just sit there and say nothing. Like, yeah, I get it - English is hard, but like, that doesn't mean you can't try.

Also, ugh - the whole attitude towards technical schools being for the failed students really grinds my gears. Measuring intelligence or potential by such narrow criteria as academic performance in a small selection of subjects is so wrong. Some people might be awful at math, language, and science, but could be a gifted musician, woodworker, electrician, plumber, or something. And all of those are skilled labour. There's literally no shame in that.

But regrettably, in Korea, tradespeople are not necessarily expected to be educated in their field, or particularly skilled, or anything. And they're paid accordingly. And this is why you get shoddy, poor quality buildings, and people generally not taking pride in their work, because nobody would recognize a good job if they even saw it.

Tradespeople should be required to be educated and / or licensed in what they do, for a lot of jobs. They should also be paid accordingly. There's a reason why, in most western countries, plumbers, electricians etc make respectable money - it's because they need to be good at what they do, and what they do is difficult.

Maybe youth unemployment here wouldn't be so miserably high if society didn't actively discourage students from going into fields where workers are most desperately needed.

(Disclaimer: yes, obviously there are skilled, professional tradespeople here - but there are also a lot who are not)

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #9052 on: November 02, 2018, 01:28:14 PM »
Nah. Even if they totally destroy my integrity, they will then need to deal with plan b, which is utter apathy. That said, I feel that while I've learned to be flexible, my integrity is still okay. Hopefully it'll stay that way, fingers crossed.

Also, be careful about taking a very strong stance wrt speaking tests.

If I were a Korean teacher, and was unhappy with the grades my lazy-ass NET was giving to my little angels, I would just fudge them when I enter the scores into their grade spread sheets. It's super easy, completely avoids conflict, and leaves everybody happy (because ignorance is bliss).

I suspect it's been done a few times behind my back which is frustrating but, I mean, it's not like I can demand to see the final grade breakdown of each and every student...

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #9053 on: November 02, 2018, 01:33:46 PM »
Nah. Even if they totally destroy my integrity, they will then need to deal with plan b, which is utter apathy. That said, I feel that while I've learned to be flexible, my integrity is still okay. Hopefully it'll stay that way, fingers crossed.

Also, be careful about taking a very strong stance wrt speaking tests.

If I were a Korean teacher, and was unhappy with the grades my lazy-ass NET was giving to my little angels, I would just fudge them when I enter the scores into their grade spread sheets. It's super easy, completely avoids conflict, and leaves everybody happy (because ignorance is bliss).

I suspect it's been done a few times behind my back which is frustrating but, I mean, it's not like I can demand to see the final grade breakdown of each and every student...

Waygook.org moderator LVL 1 kyndo knows what's up.

Apathy is the answer.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9054 on: November 02, 2018, 01:35:39 PM »

I wish so badly that I could give some of these kids a 0. I don't see the point of lower numbers existing if they can't be used. If all the students get A's or B's by default, the bad students who don't try don't deserve it, and it's unfair to the students that DO make an effort. Not to mention the arrogance it fills in some of their heads knowing there's no consequence to not trying.

I'd be pissed if I studied for hours and hours on end just to end up with the same result as my slacker of a classmate who didn't even make an attempt on the test. :rolleyes:
The World Ends With You

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9055 on: November 02, 2018, 02:42:00 PM »

Haha, sorry to hear that.  Will that effect you if you're trying to renew your contract?

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

EDIT: Well, that's a first. Never had a post I'm responding to disappear while i'm typing my response to it before.  :laugh:

Offline vicarious

• Veteran
« Reply #9056 on: November 02, 2018, 02:48:46 PM »

Haha, sorry to hear that.  Will that effect you if you're trying to renew your contract?

EDIT: Well, that's a first. Never had a post I'm responding to disappear while i'm typing my response to it before.  :laugh:

Lol sorry I wanted to edit my post to make it look neater (reduce the quoted part).  You replied too quick haha. Good luck.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #9057 on: November 02, 2018, 03:04:43 PM »

You should be fine. If they don't make you schedule a return visit when you get the results, you're good. If they do decide it's too high, they'll just tell you to come back and test it again in a week or so. Giving you time to make it okay.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #9058 on: November 02, 2018, 04:28:44 PM »

I know for a fact that they give students the opportunity to complete extra credit assignments to help raise their final scores.

I think that's the main reason why they keep trying to push me to grade more leniently -- so that they can avoid more work on their own parts because I think my school has safeguards in place to prevent manipulation of other teachers' submitted grades.

But I mean, that's their prerogative. I don't care if they want to change the grades or whatever (this is where my apathy kicks in), but I'm not going to make it easier for them. I do my part, and whatever they decide to do about that after the fact is on their heads. If they want to shelter the students, if they want to coddle them and enable terrible study habits, then they can do that without my help. I'm not about to enable their bad habits, too.

Also, ugh - the whole attitude towards technical schools being for the failed students really grinds my gears. Measuring intelligence or potential by such narrow criteria as academic performance in a small selection of subjects is so wrong. Some people might be awful at math, language, and science, but could be a gifted musician, woodworker, electrician, plumber, or something. And all of those are skilled labour. There's literally no shame in that.

I agree, skilled tradesman usually make more money than people with fancy degrees, lol, as long as they're coming from places that require an apprenticeship and certification process. They earn a ton of money while they're learning the trade, and it doubles, even triples, once they become certified.

There's no shame in it whatsover, but people the world over will often look down their noses at electricians or plumbers, never once realizing that those guys can easily make six figures (in dollars) once certified. It's the best thing for people who can't take their academics seriously (or who just aren't good at book learning in general) because the training (and learning process) is mostly hands on and immediately applicable.

I can relate to giving bonus points to students that have made obvious effort and marked improvement, too. I have a specific category in my grading rubric for it. Many students take advantage of that to help boost their grade, and they deserve it. Then you have other students who think they can just cry to their KTs so that their KTs can champion their causes for them. And to those kids, nope, it ain't gonna work. Or when you get students who scored very well in the first semester, then slacked off in the second semester because they'd believed that they would get the same score ragardless of how they actually performed. Like for some reason they believe this will carry over.  :undecided: Then they cry "unfair" when reality slaps them in the face, and make a lot of unsubstatiated claims that most KTs (in my experience) will auto-believe. These students are the ones that cause the most trouble, tbh. They're the reasons why I started keeping detailed notes and even record some of them.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:29:20 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9059 on: November 05, 2018, 12:25:49 PM »
Some of you guys on here gave me advice to challenge my middle school students as a way to keep them engaged in the class. Well I tried, and my CT told me that it was too hard for them (I'm literally teaching animal kingdom vocabulary like mammals, reptiles, etc.). Oh but I bet you it wouldn't be if these scoundrels actually payed attention.

She told me I should give them something on the elementary level instead. :huh:

This is all so counter-productive! And now I gotta come up with another lesson for this week. :rolleyes:
The World Ends With You