October 17, 2018, 10:58:30 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1121055 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8920 on: September 12, 2018, 02:23:25 PM »
Update: It's break-time. I informed my colleagues that I didn't think I should be there because I didn't understand and I'd be a danger to someone in real trouble if I was expected to perform CPR on them. They didn't fight it too hard, thankfully. They kept saying it's okay and I could just practice on the dummy... I'm really taken-aback. Why do I keep having to explain why training someone in life-saving techniques in a foreign language is a bad idea?

In summary, don't go into cardiac arrest around me because I'll probably just crush your rib cage while counting to 11 in Korean. Or electrocute you with a fancy machine that I don't understand.

50 minutes into a mandatory CPR training session being conducted in fluent Korean. My poker face has gone; I'm sure I look visibly pissed off, and now if looks like I'll have to demonstrate "what I've learnt".
    Insist on a human volunteer to be your test dummy, and then "accidentally" make 5 inch chest compressions rather than the standard 2. Proceed to blame the pulmonary herniation, hypoxia, and various other manifestations of thoracic trauma on the language barrier. Guaranteed you won't have to attend CPR class next year!

Hey! This is incredibly relevant because based on what I thought they said I thought that I was supposed to do 4 inch compressions. I stand reassured that I definitely shouldn't be recorded as being CPR-trained. I hope not going-with-the-flow doesn't come back to bite me in the ass too hard.

Our office had training yesterday and today.

It was in Konglish.

I made sure had meetings today.

"But you won't get the certificate!"

"I'm OK with that."

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8921 on: September 12, 2018, 02:24:16 PM »

50 minutes into a mandatory CPR training session being conducted in fluent Korean. My poker face has gone; I'm sure I look visibly pissed off, and now if looks like I'll have to demonstrate "what I've learnt".

You're making the mistake in believing this actually about saving lives, it's purely about going through the motions of simply attending.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8922 on: September 12, 2018, 02:28:06 PM »

You're making the mistake in believing this actually about saving lives, it's purely about going through the motions of simply attending.

Exactly. I was unable to kneel and do the compressions as I had a cast on my foot at the time.  Still received my certification card. 

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8923 on: September 13, 2018, 02:37:05 PM »
Having a really hard time staying awake at my desk because I've been sleeping poorly all week. Didn't get anything done today, just barely made it through my classes. I kept losing my clicker thingy because my brain is basically fumes right now. Kids had a lot of fun finding it for me and keeping track of how many times they had to go on the hunt, though.

Also, that new Predator movie is terrible. Don't watch it unless you don't care about how a kid and a guy wearing a suit without any speaking roles were the best actors in the whole film. Olivia Munn is just horrible, why do they keep giving her parts in big films?

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8924 on: September 13, 2018, 02:43:36 PM »
Having a really hard time staying awake at my desk because I've been sleeping poorly all week. Didn't get anything done today, just barely made it through my classes. I kept losing my clicker thingy because my brain is basically fumes right now. Kids had a lot of fun finding it for me and keeping track of how many times they had to go on the hunt, though.

Also, that new Predator movie is terrible. Don't watch it unless you don't care about how a kid and a guy wearing a suit without any speaking roles were the best actors in the whole film. Olivia Munn is just horrible, why do they keep giving her parts in big films?

Yeah. She's... not good.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8925 on: September 13, 2018, 02:45:58 PM »

Sound like me, had a terrible thing happen on Monday, and haven't been sleeping much since.
Today, my co-T needed my class, so my 1 class got cancelled, and - because of the forementioned terrible thing, she thought I wasn't going to be at work today (when it is next week I won't be there), so she had the teacher's workshop cancelled today too.
I've literally had nothing to do all day, and so I've been sleepy and close to falling asleep all day.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #8926 on: September 13, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »

I had this when I was watching a couple of films on the flight back from Europe in the summer.  'Aliens' has to be one of my all time favourite films.  I still watch it and I'll be on the edge of my seat.  Then the others came, and I was kind, 'meh'.  I wasn't a big fan of 'Prometheus', mainly because of the stupidity of the 'scientists' taking off their helmets and breathing etc.  But on the plane I watched 'Alien: Covenant', and it was the same stupid thing.  Further the story with 'scientists' being stupid and doing very unscientific things.  You know, you can further the story of Alien and Aliens without adding in stupid things and ruining the legacy.  I saw another film that people thought was ok, but i can't remember the name, but it was sooo shit.  Going backwards and forwards with Star Wars has been watchable.  To go back, I loved the first Predator and maybe the second and then it just got silly.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #8927 on: September 13, 2018, 03:21:54 PM »

I had this when I was watching a couple of films on the flight back from Europe in the summer.  'Aliens' has to be one of my all time favourite films.  I still watch it and I'll be on the edge of my seat.  Then the others came, and I was kind, 'meh'.  I wasn't a big fan of 'Prometheus', mainly because of the stupidity of the 'scientists' taking off their helmets and breathing etc.  But on the plane I watched 'Alien: Covenant', and it was the same stupid thing.  Further the story with 'scientists' being stupid and doing very unscientific things.  You know, you can further the story of Alien and Aliens without adding in stupid things and ruining the legacy.  I saw another film that people thought was ok, but i can't remember the name, but it was sooo shit.  Going backwards and forwards with Star Wars has been watchable.  To go back, I loved the first Predator and maybe the second and then it just got silly.

That'd be 'Life'.  What a bag of crap that was, with stupid scientists.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8928 on: September 13, 2018, 03:31:48 PM »

Alien vs Predator was honestly one of the worst things I've ever watched.

Offline sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8929 on: September 13, 2018, 07:50:48 PM »

Alien vs Predator was honestly one of the worst things I've ever watched.

But it did give rise to one of the great quiz questions of all time?

Only 2 actors have played characters that were killed by the predator, terminator and the xenomorph. Name them...

Offline angrybob2002

• Waygookin
« Reply #8930 on: September 13, 2018, 09:10:00 PM »
Lance Henricksen and Bill Paxton?

Offline sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8931 on: September 13, 2018, 09:25:09 PM »
Lance Henricksen and Bill Paxton?

Indeed!

Who is the only serving world leader to have scored against Gillingham in 3 different football matches?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:28:06 PM by sligo »

Offline angrybob2002

• Waygookin
« Reply #8932 on: September 13, 2018, 09:36:41 PM »
George Weah, think I saw the same MOTD tweet as you.

Politics really has turned him into a fat cat!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8933 on: September 14, 2018, 07:41:41 AM »
Who is the only serving world leader to have scored against Gillingham in 3 different football matches?

Imran Khan
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8934 on: September 14, 2018, 08:50:51 AM »
A new elementary school is being constructed directly next to my middle school. Now, you would think that construction should take place in the afternoon, where school is no longer in session and people are actually awake. But no, it has to be early in the morning, making such a ruckus that my 1st period classes are disturbed even with the windows closed.  :cry:
The World Ends With You

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8935 on: September 14, 2018, 08:55:28 AM »
A new elementary school is being constructed directly next to my middle school. Now, you would think that construction should take place in the afternoon, where school is no longer in session and people are actually awake. But no, it has to be early in the morning, making such a ruckus that my 1st period classes are disturbed even with the windows closed.  :cry:

Not if they want it finished on time and within their budget. Just sayin...

Offline dippedinblush

• Veteran
« Reply #8936 on: September 14, 2018, 09:25:22 AM »

Imran Khan

lives with his dad and mom

Offline SeoulAlone

• Adventurer
« Reply #8937 on: September 14, 2018, 09:48:35 AM »

^^^^^ this

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8938 on: September 14, 2018, 10:28:00 AM »

Tino is spot on.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8939 on: September 14, 2018, 10:38:12 AM »
It's an acceptable losses sort of thing. Temporarily decreasing the quality of the education received by the students at the middle school is worth it, if the end result as a new elementary school that will provide education for decades. It sucks for the people who have to deal with it, but it is what it is.

I do feel your pain, though. They're constructing elevators at my school right now (that were supposed to be finished over summer break), and I could definitely live without the noise during my classes.

...or the trucks hauling materials driving through the throngs of students trying to get to the designated gathering spot during the earthquake drill this week.  :lipsrsealed: