February 22, 2019, 10:59:44 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1303353 times)

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8880 on: October 01, 2018, 08:41:57 AM »
This morning, my neighbour decides to start vacuuming, at 5AM. Driving to work, I get held up in a gridlock as nobodies patient enough to leave a gap and take turns at the entrance/exit of a supermarket and the intersection into the main road, everyone's trying to force their way in at the same time.
Opening the window to let in the morning breeze and for 40 minutes, I've had to endure the filling dislodging noise of the principal screaming into a microphone.

Land of the morning calm my ass.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8881 on: October 01, 2018, 08:52:58 AM »
Maybe Mr. C or even eggieguffer ("Have you tried asking them concept checking questions?") can offer a response.

I advised him to take the job at the BC. As far as I'm aware they're one of the few places that allow YL teachers to teach communicatively and offer support if the parents complain.
yeah. i got offered a BC young learners position but ultimately decided i didn't want to teach kids anymore and turned it down, and was later offered a BC adult centre position, which i turned down for a few different reasons. however, i imagine both jobs would be really good and rewarding (as you said!). i'll probably apply again to the adult BC centre again (and actually take the job if they offer it to me) later on down the line, but yeah, as i said, there were a few reasons why i decided not to take it :)

A downside I see for BC work is that they are open 6 days a week which means Saturday work is possible.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8882 on: October 01, 2018, 09:16:57 AM »
Maybe Mr. C or even eggieguffer ("Have you tried asking them concept checking questions?") can offer a response.

I advised him to take the job at the BC. As far as I'm aware they're one of the few places that allow YL teachers to teach communicatively and offer support if the parents complain.
yeah. i got offered a BC young learners position but ultimately decided i didn't want to teach kids anymore and turned it down, and was later offered a BC adult centre position, which i turned down for a few different reasons. however, i imagine both jobs would be really good and rewarding (as you said!). i'll probably apply again to the adult BC centre again (and actually take the job if they offer it to me) later on down the line, but yeah, as i said, there were a few reasons why i decided not to take it :)

A downside I see for BC work is that they are open 6 days a week which means Saturday work is possible.
yes, one of the reasons i didn't take it. another is the lateish finishing times (at the adult centre). i'd never see my wife!*

*this could be seen as a possible or a negative

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8883 on: October 01, 2018, 09:18:39 AM »
For the first time in forever, the air is both clean and cool enough for me to open the windows and actually enjoy it. Pollution level is low, sky is blue, the age of manure has passed, humidity and temperature are actually representative of the autumn season, there's a light breeze...

"AAADFASDGAHGHJHLJFHGHGJ!!!!"
"이 바보야~!"
"개새끼!!!!1!!!"
"YAAAAAHHHHH!!!"
"씨발!!!!!!!"
"배고파 *garbled*!!!!!!!"
*unintelligible shouting, and more shouting to be heard over that shouting*
"Sheeeeeee-paaaahLLLLLL!!!!"

That's the festival spirit, you guys.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:23:10 AM by Chinguetti »

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8884 on: October 01, 2018, 09:36:05 AM »

Actually seven days a week, which means you either get a Friday Saturday or Sunday Monday weekend. For me this would be a downside as it limits the amount of IELTS you can do but I guess for younger people it'd negatively affect their social life. So, people tend to hang out with workmates on the same shift pattern. It's also tough if you have a partner who works a normal week. It is possible to work Sunday and Saturday (the heaviest days) and get a three day weekend if you prefer.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8885 on: October 01, 2018, 10:13:37 AM »
Yeah, 6 hours of teaching on the weekends, right?

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8886 on: October 01, 2018, 10:32:43 AM »
Thing is with the BC, bar the potentially crap work hours, it has good professional development, and opens doors for moving to work in other BC locations around the world.  I applied to the BC in Libya in October 2010.  Had the interview and got offered the position.  Turned it down, and then a few months later all hell broke lose in Libya.   :huh:

Yeah this is the most attractive thing and I'd say is particularly important in Korea.

The professional development coupled with a Western style management structure actually makes it a dream job for me (couldn't care less about working weekends lol).

If only they had offices in Busan  :cry:

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8887 on: October 01, 2018, 10:45:07 AM »
Thing is with the BC, bar the potentially crap work hours, it has good professional development, and opens doors for moving to work in other BC locations around the world.  I applied to the BC in Libya in October 2010.  Had the interview and got offered the position.  Turned it down, and then a few months later all hell broke lose in Libya.   :huh:

That could have turned out OK. I've known this kind of thing happen to people in other BC destinations that have kicked off and they've been shipped out, given three months paid holiday and a job in another BC centre.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8888 on: October 01, 2018, 02:13:31 PM »
31st December Monday really fucks with winter vacation dates as Jan 1st Tuesday is a holiday. Coulda stole an extra 4 days if the 31st wasn't a working day.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8889 on: October 02, 2018, 07:41:44 AM »
I understand how and why people can be jealous of other people's success, as in wishing for that same success for themselves.

What I don't understand is how some people can be unhappy with another person's success, almost if not actually to the point of resentment, as if that person was somehow wrong for being successful.

A small example is when someone commits to a workout regimen, and the results really begin to show. Why not admire that person's accomplishment and maybe even try to find the motivation to invest in a program yourself rather than hating that person for actually self-improving?

I really don't get the level of immaturity and pettiness in some people. Like, goddamn, if you're really so insecure that you need to constantly compare yourself to others and wish failure on them just so that you can feel better about yourself, you may as well start sucking at your own asshole for all the shit you need to justify being such a miserable person.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:13:37 AM by Chinguetti »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8890 on: October 02, 2018, 08:27:09 AM »
I've never really worked out when people develop that kind of trait.  I suppose when we were at school, there were friends and other school kids who had things that we wish we had, or they did something that secretly we wish we'd done, like win a prize or get a good score.  Thing is, most people grow out of those things and then it's not really an issue any more.  They can happily go through college and university and you've matured and these things aren't important anymore.  But I suppose there are those people where everything is case of getting one over on others, no matter how that is.  They are constantly comparing to others and to them that is the most important thing.  It seems so tiring and such a pointless waste of time, because there are always going to be those who seem to be more 'successful' than you.  Whether it's partly genetic or bred into you from your parents is another way of looking at it. 

I don't think modern day SNS really helps.  You check Instagram or Facebook and the photos are of grinning wonderfulness of your 'friends' or those you follow.  I doubt you'd be jealous of your real friend's success.  It can't help those with those kind of issues of your hundreds of 'friends' that they constantly see others through this 'snapshot' of someone's life.  It shows you what they want you to see.  It always looks like someone is doing better/is more successful than you.  For those that didn't mature properly, this is going to tweek some nerves.
 Problem is that people bring this online problem into their real life day-to-day relationships.

This is very much a developmental issue. It begins young, either being caused by family/environment, or because the most influential people in that person's life ignored/enabled it and failed to address it before the trait got cemented as part of that person's personality.

It's just so incredibly self-destructive to achieve a sense of self-worth and validation off of the failure of others, and just plain evil to feel good about others feeling shit about themselves, especially when they've never done anything to you.

I will never understand that mindset.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8891 on: October 02, 2018, 08:28:23 AM »
When I was a teen I had a close friend and we were young insecure guys who would mock each other in front of others in the hopes of making ourselves look better in the process.  Fairly typical behaviour.  As we grew older and people changed he maintained the same insecurities.  It made it more and more difficult to hang out with him as we got into our twenties and eventually he just became someone I avoided.  Great guy on his own, but his low self esteem pretty much destroyed the friendship.  He was the type of person that if I were to meet up with him today he would be great company one on one.  The minute others showed I know he'd find a way to bring up my grey hair or something else that he thought would elevate him by comparison. 

Chinguetti: I think you're talking about envy more than jealousy; just to split hairs.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8892 on: October 02, 2018, 08:47:55 AM »
When I was a teen I had a close friend and we were young insecure guys who would mock each other in front of others in the hopes of making ourselves look better in the process.  Fairly typical behaviour.  As we grew older and people changed he maintained the same insecurities.  It made it more and more difficult to hang out with him as we got into our twenties and eventually he just became someone I avoided.  Great guy on his own, but his low self esteem pretty much destroyed the friendship.  He was the type of person that if I were to meet up with him today he would be great company one on one.  The minute others showed I know he'd find a way to bring up my grey hair or something else that he thought would elevate him by comparison.

I'm afraid I'm quite a bit more judgmental and wary of people who have that kind of attitude. There's a lot going on behind wanting to break another person down just to build yourself up, and while insecurity serves as a foundation for all of that bullshit, there's a lot built on top of that foundation that makes it a lot more complicated, especially once they enter adulthood. You can see this behind why some people "grow out of it" vs. people who just don't. Basically, him bringing up your grey hair wouldn't be the only thing you'd have to worry about if you continued to have this guy in your life to any significant degree. He wouldn't be someone I could trust. Like, at all.

Chinguetti: I think you're talking about envy more than jealousy; just to split hairs.

You're right.

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #8893 on: October 02, 2018, 08:54:38 AM »

Isn't that the exact kind of thing you just said you avoided your friend for doing?  :laugh:
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8894 on: October 02, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »
No.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8895 on: October 02, 2018, 09:34:25 AM »
Wife told me about an incident yesterday with a problem class of hers. A few students were basically trying revolt by completely ignoring any instruction my wife or the CT would give them. A few of the students were basically looking for rules to break. Things started getting out of hand and one of the girls was getting physical, breaking school property etc. (My wife claims that this girl is a massive bully, 6th grader at 175cm and solidly built and has a history of hitting other students...hard)
the CT said she was going to get the HR teacher and ran out the class.

What happens next?
Class gets more and more out of control and my wife is struggling to deal with it. CT ends up staying out the class for the remainder of the period (30min). After class, where does my wife find her? Hiding in the library... HR teacher wasn't notified either.
Students were potentially going to get violent and someone might've gotten hurt, and a teacher with nearly 20yrs experience decides to run away, leaving a co-worker who doesn't speak Korean to deal with a potentially dangerous situation.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #8896 on: October 02, 2018, 09:38:53 AM »
I don't think modern day SNS really helps.  You check Instagram or Facebook and the photos are of grinning wonderfulness of your 'friends' or those you follow.

That's a big problem. You have 100 friends, and let's say 14 or 15 of them post something pretty cool on any given day, which is completely within the realm of reasonable. Now you are seeing a weekly roation of amazing things from all your different friends. Meanwhile, you're only having a couple of pretty cool experiences every week. It's not representative of real life. You're not seeing Samantha cry by herself after her breakup, you're only seeing the amazing ice cream that she's scarfing down to make herself feel better. You're not seeing Greg blowing gauges at the airport because they lost his luggage, you're only seeing him at some temple in rural Thailand with a big grin on his face.

All those cool pics on instagram represent a fraction of life, but due to the revolving door that is our follow list, we imagine that EVERYONE is having the best time without us.

I haven given up FB, Insta and Reddit for this month. I want to see what happens, because I can honestly say that these apps have become a bloody thorn in my side. It's not envy, like discussed above, it's just a constant use and checking up on things and it's a massive waste of time. I really am curious to see how I feel in November.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8897 on: October 02, 2018, 09:43:32 AM »
Wife told me about an incident yesterday with a problem class of hers. A few students were basically trying revolt by completely ignoring any instruction my wife or the CT would give them. A few of the students were basically looking for rules to break. Things started getting out of hand and one of the girls was getting physical, breaking school property etc. (My wife claims that this girl is a massive bully, 6th grader at 175cm and solidly built and has a history of hitting other students...hard)

What happens next?
Class gets more and more out of control and my wife is struggling to deal with it. CT ends up staying out the class for the remainder of the period (30min). After class, where does my wife find her? Hiding in the library... HR teacher wasn't notified either.
Students were potentially going to get violent and someone might've gotten hurt, and a teacher with nearly 20yrs experience decides to run away, leaving a co-worker who doesn't speak Korean to deal with a potentially dangerous situation.

What a POS. Your wife should go to the HRT and tell her exactly what happened.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8898 on: October 02, 2018, 09:50:38 AM »

What happens next?

That's so shitty.

Did your wife do or say anything about it? What the hell.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8899 on: October 02, 2018, 10:06:40 AM »
CO2: I haven given up FB, Insta and Reddit for this month. I want to see what happens, because I can honestly say that these apps have become a bloody thorn in my side. It's not envy, like discussed above, it's just a constant use and checking up on things and it's a massive waste of time. I really am curious to see how I feel in November.

Don't use Instagram or look at Reddit, but last year just after New Year's I deactivated Facebook and didn't use it again until summer vacation.  It was actually fun again to scroll through and catch up with people's lives.  After some vacation photos and messaging with people I'm back off it.  I'll go on again at Christmas then back to deactivation.