October 16, 2018, 05:16:18 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1118171 times)

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8860 on: September 04, 2018, 03:11:23 PM »
I get sick of drivers driving 1 metre behind my car, and flashing lights to make me move, because there is a car in the adjacent lane.  This basically means i cannot hit my brakes, as the **** behind me will plow into me.  What gives him the right to demand i move for him?  Why should i drive at an unsafe speed just because he wants to pass?

What is the context for this? If you're driving adjacent another car at the same speed, and you're in the passing lane, then you are in the wrong. The same if you're driving slightly faster than vehicles in the slower lane and never pulling in to let faster vehicles pass.

Offline CypherSoul

• Adventurer
« Reply #8861 on: September 04, 2018, 03:16:10 PM »

German's reaction to ambulance..

In Japan, the same....(picture too big)

In some countries you give way, in others you don't. I guess its not even a cultural thing but people not being used to common sense or human decency :laugh:. At home in the UK, everyone way to the ambulance but in plenty of other countries, the ambulance is stuck in traffic. I am unsure about Korea...I have not seen many ambulances with the sirens on.
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8862 on: September 04, 2018, 03:16:36 PM »
I get sick of drivers driving 1 metre behind my car, and flashing lights to make me move, because there is a car in the adjacent lane.  This basically means i cannot hit my brakes, as the **** behind me will plow into me.  What gives him the right to demand i move for him?  Why should i drive at an unsafe speed just because he wants to pass?

What is the context for this? If you're driving adjacent another car at the same speed, and you're in the passing lane, then you are in the wrong. The same if you're driving slightly faster than vehicles in the slower lane and never pulling in to let faster vehicles pass.

Reminds me of the poster who once complained about Koreans honking at him when he was at a red light, but was unaware that Korea has a "Turn right on red" law and that blocking the right lane is generally considered a dick move in any country/state that has "turn right on red".

I lived in a "Turn right on Red" state and we'd get the same kind of "Why are divers here such jerks?" from people from out of state who didn't know the local rules of the road.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8863 on: September 04, 2018, 03:17:50 PM »
I think with Korean ambulances, if they aren't honking and the siren is blaring, people generally don't give way. I've still seen selfish asshats in that case, but far less.

Given how quickly some people call for ambulances over really minor injuries, it's not surprising that if the ambulance is just meandering up the road with it's lights on, that peopel don't give way.

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8864 on: September 04, 2018, 03:19:01 PM »

The context is that those drivers are d1cks.

PS There is no defined "slow lane" in Korea.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #8865 on: September 04, 2018, 03:32:53 PM »
We can now safely say that Martin does not drive in Korea.

Yes.  Korea has one of the highest road fatality rates (OECD rankings) in the world for a reason. 

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8866 on: September 04, 2018, 03:33:34 PM »
In Sligo's defense, given Korea's labyrinthine streets, he might have had an upcoming turn somewhere nearby.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8867 on: September 04, 2018, 04:23:59 PM »

Sorry, but I learned to drive from scratch here, and you are wrong. There are passing lanes and slower lanes, just like in western countries. Unfortunately, people don't use passing lanes properly in Korea, and instead hold long lines of cars up because they think they're special.

Here's some useful info on how to drive on the expressway in Korea. It explains how to use passing lanes. https://www.koroad.or.kr/en_web/view/drvGuide3.do

Offline sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8868 on: September 04, 2018, 05:06:47 PM »

What is the context for this? If you're driving adjacent another car at the same speed, and you're in the passing lane, then you are in the wrong. The same if you're driving slightly faster than vehicles in the slower lane and never pulling in to let faster vehicles pass

Reminds me of the poster who once complained about Koreans honking at him when he was at a red light, but was unaware that Korea has a "Turn right on red" law and that blocking the right lane is generally considered a dick move in any country/state that has "turn right on red".

I lived in a "Turn right on Red" state and we'd get the same kind of "Why are divers here such jerks?" from people from out of state who didn't know the local rules of the road.

You are not allowed to turn right if either road is showing a green man, but you either hear honk honk honk, or they drive around you as you wait to turn, and they nearly hit those crossing.

As for 2 lanes, often a car in the fast lane isnt going fast enough, so drivers attempt ro undertake by switching to the other lane only to see my car and demand i move.  Why? If they want to overtake, do it on the left not the right!

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8869 on: September 04, 2018, 07:00:13 PM »

What is the context for this? If you're driving adjacent another car at the same speed, and you're in the passing lane, then you are in the wrong. The same if you're driving slightly faster than vehicles in the slower lane and never pulling in to let faster vehicles pass

You are not allowed to turn right if either road is showing a green man, but you either hear honk honk honk, or they drive around you as you wait to turn, and they nearly hit those crossing.

As for 2 lanes, often a car in the fast lane isnt going fast enough, so drivers attempt ro undertake by switching to the other lane only to see my car and demand i move.  Why? If they want to overtake, do it on the left not the right!

If people are honking at you to go faster while you're driving in the slow lane, they are in the wrong. If people are honking at you when you're holding up traffic in the fast lane, you are in the wrong.

The reason people undertake is because too many people drive slowly in the fast lane. The worst offenders are middle aged men driving pickups and women chatting on their phone with no awareness of a world outside their own head.

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8870 on: September 04, 2018, 08:45:39 PM »

Sorry, but I learned to drive from scratch here, and you are wrong. There are passing lanes and slower lanes, just like in western countries. Unfortunately, people don't use passing lanes properly in Korea, and instead hold long lines of cars up because they think they're special.

Here's some useful info on how to drive on the expressway in Korea. It explains how to use passing lanes. https://www.koroad.or.kr/en_web/view/drvGuide3.do

Yes, in theory, there are overtaking lanes and slow lanes, with the middle lanes being for cruising. But in Korea, the majority of drivers have poor lane discipline which calls for overtaking in all lanes.

You learned to drive here? Must suck that all that knowledge matters not when driving for real here.

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #8871 on: September 04, 2018, 09:26:39 PM »
Sorry, but I learned to drive from scratch here,
Good God.
Are you as bad at driving as every other cretin on the roads here?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8872 on: September 04, 2018, 09:51:37 PM »
Good God.

How do you define "bad"? I have enough awareness to pull over to the right when someone needs to pass me at a higher speed, but that situation doesn't occur too often. :laugh:

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8873 on: September 04, 2018, 10:43:39 PM »
Good God.

How do you define "bad"? I have enough awareness to pull over to the right when someone needs to pass me at a higher speed, but that situation doesn't occur too often. :laugh:

A lot of @ssholes on the highway will drive up to you at speed, way beyond the speed limit and rather than wait for you to move they will attempt to pass from the other lane and then cut back to your lane causing you to hit the brakes.

Sometimes, you can't pull over because there happens to be slower vehicles in the other lane but the @ssholes think they can weave in and out like F1 drivers causing a dangerous situation.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #8874 on: September 05, 2018, 07:43:12 AM »
Good God.

A lot of @ssholes on the highway will drive up to you at speed, way beyond the speed limit and rather than wait for you to move they will attempt to pass from the other lane and then cut back to your lane causing you to hit the brakes.

Sometimes, you can't pull over because there happens to be slower vehicles in the other lane but the @ssholes think they can weave in and out like F1 drivers causing a dangerous situation.

My theory to makes Koreans more careful at driving is to make them all drive manuals.  Automatics make it too easy to be a shitier driver than they already are. 

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8875 on: September 05, 2018, 08:05:22 AM »
Good God.

My theory to makes Koreans more careful at driving is to make them all drive manuals.  Automatics make it too easy to be a shitier driver than they already are.

True that! I learned on a manual but I also learned how to drive safely. Driving a manual means that they [Korean drivers] would need to concentrate more on the road but given that they don't already check mirrors and indicate BEFORE changing lanes then I foresee more accidents. Also, how can they hold their phone and change gears at the same time?

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8876 on: September 05, 2018, 08:09:01 AM »
Good God.

There are drivers who just will not budge at all, driving the same speed as the person adjacent to them when they could easily pull in to the slow lane to let you by. I'm talking about a wilful disregard for traffic behind or complete lack of awareness of the road. I will sometimes undertake such drivers and cut back in sharply, but only if they're really being obnoxious. It's a way of saying "screw you", I suppose.

Driving to my travel school this morning, one driver drove in the fast lane at exactly the same speed as a tire delivery vehicle in the slow lane, with no thought for anyone but himself. This continued for the entire journey on the expressway, which was not exactly a long one, but still at least one exit to another. I was left wishing I drove a literal tank to blow that scumbag off the road.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #8877 on: September 05, 2018, 08:13:22 AM »

True that! I learned on a manual but I also learned how to drive safely. Driving a manual means that they [Korean drivers] would need to concentrate more on the road but given that they don't already check mirrors and indicate BEFORE changing lanes then I foresee more accidents. Also, how can they hold their phone and change gears at the same time?

Not sure if it is the same system here, but in England if you learn and then take the test in an automatic car, then you can only drive automatics, unless you 'upgrade' when you pass the manual test.  If you take a manual test, then you can drive both. 

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8878 on: September 05, 2018, 08:31:59 AM »

In this case, the person wasn't following the green crossing. They simply didn't know "turn right on red" existed. This happens in the states as well. Some drivers aren't aware, and some drivers turn right on red where it's illegal because they forget about the law change. It's an innocent mistake, but it's not always Place's X drivers are aholes.

And as I said, in your case if you're in the left lane, because of the way Korean roads are laid down, you can have a legitimate reason for being in the left lane and still slowing things down because you have to shift over for the next light or something. There are always explanations we need to consider before we assume someone is a rude driver.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #8879 on: September 05, 2018, 08:48:35 AM »
In this case, the person wasn't following the green crossing. They simply didn't know "turn right on red" existed. This happens in the states as well. Some drivers aren't aware, and some drivers turn right on red where it's illegal because they forget about the law change. It's an innocent mistake, but it's not always Place's X drivers are aholes.

And as I said, in your case if you're in the left lane, because of the way Korean roads are laid down, you can have a legitimate reason for being in the left lane and still slowing things down because you have to shift over for the next light or something. There are always explanations we need to consider before we assume someone is a rude driver.

Martin, you do not drive in Korea.  Therefore you have no point of reference here.  So stop commenting on stuff you clearly have NO idea about.  Again.