December 14, 2018, 01:16:48 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1218555 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8860 on: September 27, 2018, 11:22:19 AM »
Speaking of BO, is it just me or are there more Koreans running around with obvious BO these days? Like they could be freshly showered, but they'll still stink of armpit because they're not wearing deodorant.

Most of us know that no BO on Koreans is a myth, but it feels like it's become more noticeable and common to me lately. Like I'm finding myself sniffing at myself more often thinking that I might be the one stinking ("Did I forget to put on deodorant?") when it's really the guy right in front of or next to me, lol.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:25:47 AM by Chinguetti »

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8861 on: September 27, 2018, 11:31:06 AM »
Speaking of BO, is it just me or are there more Koreans running around with obvious BO these days? Like they could be freshly showered, but they'll still stink of armpit because they're not wearing deodorant.

Most of us know that no BO on Koreans is a myth, but it feels like it's become more noticeable and common to me lately. Like I'm finding myself sniffing at myself more often thinking that I might be the one stinking ("Did I forget to put on deodorant?") when it's really the guy right in front of or next to me, lol.

Definitely noticed this. It used to be really rare for me to notice a strong whiff of BO, but on the subway, I've noticed it fairly frequently, coming from both men and women. Like, pretty regularly. But only in the past year or so.

Online SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #8862 on: September 27, 2018, 11:32:16 AM »

Word! 

My Step-Dad is Korean, so the whole "Koreans don't smell" thing was out the window the day he moved in with us.  The man can clear a room with his BO.  And don't get me started on how lovely he smelled after a night of drinking and kimchi consumption.  BLAH! 

I've noticed it more myself.  Sometimes I duck into a room or what have you, and do a quick whiff to make sure it isn't me. 

One thing I'm glad for is that the weather is cooling off.  Some of my kids who are going through puberty reek to high heaven!  The cooler weather is keeping it at a minimum for now.  Thank God!

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8863 on: September 27, 2018, 11:44:28 AM »
Yeah, wonder why it's so much more prominent this year.

Maybe the record-breaking summer heat activated more of those dormant smelly sweat glands or something.

And omg, the students. Some of them smelled soooooo weird, it's not a smell I would associate with natural BO, but it's still very unpleasant. xD

Online SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #8864 on: September 27, 2018, 11:51:49 AM »

And omg, the students. Some of them smelled soooooo weird, it's not a smell I would associate with natural BO, but it's still very unpleasant. xD

Yea.... a cross between moldy cheese and vinegar.  Makes for a lovely funk!  Some of my 6th grade boys smell so bad it actually burns my nose.  Poor things.  They have to be aware of it.  There's just no way NOT to know. 

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #8865 on: September 27, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »
Could it be them eating a more western diet?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8866 on: September 28, 2018, 09:26:42 AM »
You know me, I normally jump on the "Anyone notice Koreans..." threads, and while I am going to caution about confirmation bias and so on, I must admit that I have noticed a few more stinkers than usual.

Maybe there's some new spore or fungus or something else in the air/water?

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8867 on: September 28, 2018, 12:01:57 PM »
I've posted this before but I don't like being angry. My boys class though always wants to push things to the limit. I let the hulk out and the class was silenced. It works, but I don't like having to use that method. :sad: And somehow an angry foreigner yelling in a different language is far more effective than a co-teacher speaking to these kids.

(On a side note, every time I've become angry during a class, a teacher will tell me "I hope you feel better." like I'm sick or something. I get the sentiment, but it just sounds weird sometimes. :undecided:)
The World Ends With You

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8868 on: September 28, 2018, 12:43:50 PM »
You know me, I normally jump on the "Anyone notice Koreans..." threads, and while I am going to caution about confirmation bias and so on, I must admit that I have noticed a few more stinkers than usual.

Maybe there's some new spore or fungus or something else in the air/water?
I think the unusually high (and sustained) temperatures have come into conflict with traditional Korean grooming habits, such as re-wearing of clothing and low frequency of bathing.

I suspect some have failed to adapt and others have given up.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8869 on: September 28, 2018, 12:56:53 PM »
i am so burnt out teaching kids i keep asking myself how i managed it for so long. how did i manage it for so long? every single day i come and teach in my after school program, there are at least 3 times a day that i'm tempted just to quit on the spot

Oh boy I feel you. I had to quit after school after my last contract. It's a joke. The hours look good, but the behavior is terrible and the classes are too long to teach the crappy books they give you.

The books are basically meant to make money for the company. 4 pages of fluff that you could teach in less than 20 minutes, yet the class is 50-55 minutes long. Go through the books in a month or two so the parents have to order more. For your sanity, please try to find something else.
it is, without a doubt, the single worst job i've ever had. i got more job satisfaction and was given more respect by management in the dish washing job i had when i was 16. i wish i was exagerrating

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8870 on: September 29, 2018, 12:13:03 AM »
Just renewed my visa. It's a great thing that you reserve an appointment and your number comes up at almost exactly that time. Everything went smooth and it was done in 3 minutes.
BUT I had to wait 40 minutes to get my ARC back. Why the hell does it take 40 minutes to stamp a new date on a plastic card?!

Still about the immigration... the way some people (don't) take care of themselves is just shocking. The waiting area smelled like a homeless shelter. I never been to one but I imagine they smell something like that. Massive BO from some dudes, enough to linger like 6-8 feet away easily. It wasn't even hot and it was only 10am.

And some other folks clearly haven't showered and/or changed clothes for several days. WTF!?

I had to wait outside in the lobby because I couldn't put up with it. And I even have a cold so my smelling is not that great.

If you go somewhere public, just please take a damn shower, put on some clean clothes and if you have BO issues, use some freakin deodorant!

Lol same. I just renewed mine today as well and agree with everything you said.

Also f*ck immi for not letting me know I had to report that I got a new passport. 40,000 won fine. Good thing is I got 2 years renewal on my F6 instead of 1 year like the previous two times. So glad I won't have to deal with this next year!
How extraordinary!  You actually have to tell the immigration authority of the country where you are an immigrant that your primary document of immigration has changed.  Totes stole 40,000 W from you!

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8871 on: September 29, 2018, 01:23:32 AM »
i am so burnt out teaching kids i keep asking myself how i managed it for so long. how did i manage it for so long? every single day i come and teach in my after school program, there are at least 3 times a day that i'm tempted just to quit on the spot

Oh boy I feel you. I had to quit after school after my last contract. It's a joke. The hours look good, but the behavior is terrible and the classes are too long to teach the crappy books they give you.

The books are basically meant to make money for the company. 4 pages of fluff that you could teach in less than 20 minutes, yet the class is 50-55 minutes long. Go through the books in a month or two so the parents have to order more. For your sanity, please try to find something else.
I'm really not trying to pick on you, but here are two consecutive posts that are just poorly thought out.

1) OF COURSE the books are meant to make money for the company.  FFS. Whether it's YMB or Houghton-Mifflin, there is a profit motive.

2) Have you taught anywhere else? Are you a teacher?  If that's a yes, then I'm sure you know that textbooks (speaking from 30+ years of experience) provide the framework, the key ideas.

3) You are meant to be a teacher.  During class, you use the textbook to provide the framework, then you hang activities, materials, interactions and more activities on that framework to "flesh it out" so to speak.  This is what teachers (well, decent teachers) do.

4) When I was in 7th grade, a social studies "teacher" named Mr Goodwin sat at his desk, generally leaning back on the chalkboard, and had students read sentence after sentence going up and down each row until the end of the section.  Then we pulled out our notebooks and wrote our answers to the 3 or 4 questions in the book.  Is this what you are advocating?

5) I remember one time, Mr Goodwin, what with there being time left, utilized the teacher's handbook (I guess) and had us use our seventh grade thoughts to answer a discussion question, to wit: "Who should have controlled the American colonies, the French or the English?"

I think we thought that was daring, because the tendency for us (WASPish kids with a few A-A kids thrown in) would be to say, "The English."  But after two or three answers either way, going up and down the rows, some kid said, "The colonists!"  Wow! After that, everyone (including me) said, "The colonists!"

Until someone, not sure who, almost at the end of the last row, said: "The Indians!"  (I mean, really it should have been "Native Americans!" but literally no one in my ken had ever heard that term.)  There was this huge groan, as we all knew that was the best answer.

This was not even in the textbook, which I happen to remember was the brand spanking newest one--the only brand new one--that the seventh grade got that year. Outside the box (before we knew there was a box to be outside of)!

6) I know it seems like I've veered off track, but this is what you get when you rely too much on the textbook.  I suspect Mr Goodwin was the worst teacher I ever had (literally a grease stain where he leaned his head back on the chalk board behind his desk).  My point is that textbooks provide a framework and teachers can be like Goodwin or they can create materials and activities every day that make kids say, "The Indians!"

7) Teaching English in Korea isn't always that, I agree.  But "crappy books" is no excuse for giving students a crappy classroom experience. It may be a crappy book, but I bet it has vocabulary and key expressions, right? Think up, borrow, download ... I taught AS and I know materials are available, and templates, too. Interesting gif files, challenging games, and silly songs, for that matter.

8 ) But here's my biggest, bestest tip: Don't think of yourself as teaching a book, or teaching content. Think of yourself as teaching children! You might have "taught" -ing verbs or rooms in a house a dozen times, but for these kids, this might be their one and only.  As you want them to do their best, they deserve for you to do your best.

Offline some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8872 on: September 29, 2018, 02:19:23 AM »
1) OF COURSE the books are meant to make money for the company.  FFS. Whether it's YMB or Houghton-Mifflin, there is a profit motive.

2) Have you taught anywhere else? Are you a teacher?  If that's a yes, then I'm sure you know that textbooks (speaking from 30+ years of experience) provide the framework, the key ideas.

3) You are meant to be a teacher.  During class, you use the textbook to provide the framework, then you hang activities, materials, interactions and more activities on that framework to "flesh it out" so to speak.  This is what teachers (well, decent teachers) do.

Not disagreeing with what you wrote in principle, but if you have ever taught EFL using decent textbooks and then
were forced into using some of the not so good ones, you would know what he's talking about.

Not to mention that some schools frown on using anything outside of the textbook. 

Fleshing it out usually means giving a word search using vocabulary from the lesson,
perhaps a crossword and some ill-conceived notion of a game.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 02:20:59 AM by some waygug-in »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8873 on: September 29, 2018, 09:15:33 AM »
Well said Mr. C

I'm impressed.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8874 on: September 29, 2018, 09:56:33 AM »

I'm really not trying to pick on you, but here are two consecutive posts that are just poorly thought out.

4) When I was in 7th grade, a social studies "teacher" named Mr Goodwin sat at his desk, generally leaning back on the chalkboard, and had students read sentence after sentence going up and down each row until the end of the section.  Then we pulled out our notebooks and wrote our answers to the 3 or 4 questions in the book.  Is this what you are advocating?

5) I remember one time, Mr Goodwin, what with there being time left, utilized the teacher's handbook (I guess) and had us use our seventh grade thoughts to answer a discussion question, to wit: "Who should have controlled the American colonies, the French or the English?"

I think we thought that was daring, because the tendency for us (WASPish kids with a few A-A kids thrown in) would be to say, "The English."  But after two or three answers either way, going up and down the rows, some kid said, "The colonists!"  Wow! After that, everyone (including me) said, "The colonists!"

Until someone, not sure who, almost at the end of the last row, said: "The Indians!"  (I mean, really it should have been "Native Americans!" but literally no one in my ken had ever heard that term.)  There was this huge groan, as we all knew that was the best answer.

This was not even in the textbook, which I happen to remember was the brand spanking newest one--the only brand new one--that the seventh grade got that year. Outside the box (before we knew there was a box to be outside of)!

6) I know it seems like I've veered off track, but this is what you get when you rely too much on the textbook.  I suspect Mr Goodwin was the worst teacher I ever had (literally a grease stain where he leaned his head back on the chalk board behind his desk).  My point is that textbooks provide a framework and teachers can be like Goodwin or they can create materials and activities every day that make kids say, "The Indians!"

7) Teaching English in Korea isn't always that, I agree.  But "crappy books" is no excuse for giving students a crappy classroom experience. It may be a crappy book, but I bet it has vocabulary and key expressions, right? Think up, borrow, download ... I taught AS and I know materials are available, and templates, too. Interesting gif files, challenging games, and silly songs, for that matter.

8 ) But here's my biggest, bestest tip: Don't think of yourself as teaching a book, or teaching content. Think of yourself as teaching children! You might have "taught" -ing verbs or rooms in a house a dozen times, but for these kids, this might be their one and only.  As you want them to do their best, they deserve for you to do your best.
hmm. have you ever worked in an after school company before?

the problem with after schools is that it's impossible to actually teach. you try and teach english to the kids, the kids complain it's too hard (it's not, they didn't even try), they go home and complain to the parents, the parents phone to company and complain about their "terrible" teacher, and i get in trouble

i actually tried to teach for the first 6 months, making interesting, relevant and fun lessons. several students quit, and i was to blame. i was just doing my job.

for student reports, i gave detailed reports into how the students were, and how they could improve their english. again, parents complained. why? turns out the previous teacher lied and only gave false, positive feedback. the absolute terror little minsu was given 5/5 in all categories and praised as the best student in the class. i gave him a little lower (still being way too generous) and noted how he could improve. parents complained i'm a bad teacher, as he was much nicer in the previous teacher's class. he quit. my fault

for tests, i'd review the material a few classes before. students did okay on the tests, but not perfect. parents complained. why? well, the previous teacher had given all students the answers and therefore they got 100% on the test. i was blamed as being a bad teacher as the students didn't get higher than before. some students quit. my fault.

this shit went on and on for months. me trying to do a good job, and getting the blame for it.

now, i let the kids do whatever they want, and absolutely no learning happens. none. parents are happy, management is happy, and i focus on making lessons for my adult classes instead, for students who actually want to be there and learn.

as for the textbooks, they are always simply much too difficult for the students. much too difficult. companies want to speed through the books, so parents have to spend more money, and the levels increase much too quickly. i have some classes where students can't even read the word "pencil" but are expected to read and comprehend long, flowing articles with advanced grammar and difficult words such as "discrimination" or "exceptionally". it's pointless. what am i to do? create separate lessons away from the impossible textbooks that would benefit and help and students? well, as i mentioned above, i spent a lot of time and effort trying all that for 6 months, and simply got blamed for being a bad teacher. christ, the students complain even when playing games - they just want to sit around and play on their phones. it's impossible, and the worst job i've had in 7 years of teaching.

the whole thing is a money-making scheme from the company's perspective, and a baby-sitting service from the parents' perspective. and so now that's what i do - babysit for 50 minutes, and pass the time as smoothly as possible.

Online alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #8875 on: September 29, 2018, 12:09:18 PM »
as for the textbooks, they are always simply much too difficult for the students. much too difficult. companies want to speed through the books, so parents have to spend more money, and the levels increase much too quickly. i have some classes where students can't even read the word "pencil" but are expected to read and comprehend long, flowing articles with advanced grammar and difficult words such as "discrimination" or "exceptionally". it's pointless.

The funny thing is, when people make very reasonable points like this to accusations of "you're not a good enough teacher", I very rarely see a rebuttal. 

Maybe Mr. C or even eggieguffer ("Have you tried asking them concept checking questions?") can offer a response.

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8876 on: September 29, 2018, 05:36:23 PM »
as for the textbooks, they are always simply much too difficult for the students. much too difficult. companies want to speed through the books, so parents have to spend more money, and the levels increase much too quickly. i have some classes where students can't even read the word "pencil" but are expected to read and comprehend long, flowing articles with advanced grammar and difficult words such as "discrimination" or "exceptionally". it's pointless.

The funny thing is, when people make very reasonable points like this to accusations of "you're not a good enough teacher", I very rarely see a rebuttal. 

Maybe Mr. C or even eggieguffer ("Have you tried asking them concept checking questions?") can offer a response.
I don't concede that asking "Have you taught anywhere else?" is similar to "you're not a good enough teacher."  Nor did oglop (who has always struck me as reasonable) write previously about the books being "much too difficult" (at least that I read).

In fact, the OP (TheEnergizer) described the books as being  "4 pages of fluff that you could teach in less than 20 minutes", which is the situation I was responding to.

Truthfully, my experience with textbooks here (both classroom and AS) is that they fit TE's description more than oglop's.  However, if the AS students are the very weakest ones, then I can see that even "fluff" books could be too difficult. 

But it doesn't change my strategy too much, as I still see the textbook being the framework on which a teacher hangs their classroom implementation. In this case, I would focus first on phonics, and not do the kind of supplementary vocab and cases I usually do with "better" students, and practice the key structures.  But it's still a mix of rote, challenge and "fun" activities.

I taught in HS here for four years, and the textbooks did consist of 'long, flowing articles with advanced grammar and difficult words such as "discrimination" or "exceptionally"' but all the elementary books I'm familiar with (the newly released 5-6 grade books are my third iteration) have limited vocab and relatively simple grammar.  I would be interested to see these AS texts ...

Incidentally, it seems oglop has already found his own solution to the problems he encountered.

Finally, some waygug-in snarked: "Fleshing it out usually means giving a word search using vocabulary from the lesson, perhaps a crossword and some ill-conceived notion of a game." I can only assume he's referring to his own approach; I don't think it fairly describes mine.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 05:45:58 PM by Mr C »

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8877 on: September 29, 2018, 08:52:40 PM »
Yes, this is the first time I've experienced this amount of disarray in an AS program. Usually they aren't this bad. The school I'm placed in AND the company are both just completely toxic. The textbooks I have are fom JLS, by the way. Pretty awful and full of basic errors. I can only imagine AS programs getting worse in the future, probably due to lack of grade 1 and 2 students (the biggest income earners). The company I'm with  won't even provide me with paper or board markers anymore. Imagine that.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #8878 on: September 29, 2018, 09:31:12 PM »

I advised him to take the job at the BC. As far as I'm aware they're one of the few places that allow YL teachers to teach communicatively and offer support if the parents complain.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8879 on: September 29, 2018, 11:09:02 PM »

I advised him to take the job at the BC. As far as I'm aware they're one of the few places that allow YL teachers to teach communicatively and offer support if the parents complain.
yeah. i got offered a BC young learners position but ultimately decided i didn't want to teach kids anymore and turned it down, and was later offered a BC adult centre position, which i turned down for a few different reasons. however, i imagine both jobs would be really good and rewarding (as you said!). i'll probably apply again to the adult BC centre again (and actually take the job if they offer it to me) later on down the line, but yeah, as i said, there were a few reasons why i decided not to take it :)