November 18, 2018, 02:48:21 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1166958 times)

Offline hayleebb87

• Adventurer
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8840 on: September 21, 2018, 01:50:33 PM »

Do you really think it's just Korea? Anyone who was in Japan during it's heyday will remember Gaijinpot. That place was worse than all the Korea ones combined.
I lived in Italy and the expat forums there were just as bad too. People complaining about Italian incompetence, bragging about banging the locals, shitting on the food (yes there are people who didn't like authentic Italian food), corruption etc.

Yeah I haven't used those non-korea but country-related forums, so I guess I wouldn't know. My new question would then be why are expats so toxic online? I'm part of lots of non-country related forums that aren't nearly as toxic as these seem to be (and I agree this place is pretty mild compared to r/korea and oink, but still).

I'm just curious why people are singling out expats in being toxic. Aren't most online forums toxic? Seriously, isn't that what many people with anonymity do? The second you don't have to say something to someone's face, people become instant keyboard warriors. It's not just Korea. It's everything. People like to shitpost and vent online because they are bored and/or isolated. Let's be honest. Many of us don't even look at the waygook threads with the intention of posting... we just want to read all of the stupid comments that people are making to argue back and forth over things that don't really matter once you walk away from the computer. Myself included. That's why I only have a few posts. Why is it necessary to make it into a race war?  People here that aren't just trolls or asses don't have their families to come home and vent to so they do it in the only similarly minded community that they really know. It seems pretty simple to me.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #8841 on: September 21, 2018, 01:53:48 PM »
Someone might've used it for giving their pet a vaccination or something.
Or alternately for some hobby or craft, like applying glue? But that looks like a straight up hypodermic needle, not like a general use syringe.
Maybe for a pet, but owners generally don't do that themselves. Hard to see, but there was a bit of blood still in the needle bit. Whoever tossed it there was good enough to put the cover back on the pointy end though, so I guess props to him/her for that at least.  :undecided:

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8842 on: September 21, 2018, 02:13:07 PM »
There are Koreans who do drugs. They may be relatively few, but they are out there. With the way some doctors toss out painkillers and meds like candy.....

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8843 on: September 21, 2018, 02:16:08 PM »
Meth, too. I really don't think a lot of people understand just how prevalent that drug is getting here in Korea.

Honestly, meth was the first thing I thought of when I saw that syringe post.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8844 on: September 21, 2018, 02:45:45 PM »
i am so burnt out teaching kids i keep asking myself how i managed it for so long. how did i manage it for so long? every single day i come and teach in my after school program, there are at least 3 times a day that i'm tempted just to quit on the spot

Are you teaching only elementary and middle Oglop?  By this stage now, I wouldn't still be here teaching e/m, if I were, I'd have gone mental.  I did a middle school night class last semester and they were awful, but I finished the semester and declined to work again this semester.  Good money, but I wasn't teaching them, as I spent most of the time trying to control three boys.  Not worth it.  After 11 years in the public school, I'm thinking like you, and that the initial 'Wow!' may be dimming.  It's not affecting my teaching or my relationship with my own students, it's just that feeling inside.
i only teach kids, for younger learners. 3 classes a day in the afternoon, but it's exhausting. i teach adult classes in the morning/lunch/evening (around the after-school program). it's just a terrible job, generally:

incompetent manager; books that are way too difficult for the kids; kids are insanely rude and disrespectful; if you actually try and teach properly, the kids complain to the parents and i get told off for trying to do my job properly; company refuses to provide basic materials such as paper or board markers; school's after-school program manager is a complete biatch; etc etc (i could go on)

just had enough of the bullshit. i'm quite happy being self-employed and teaching adults full-time next year. it's like a different world teaching corporate business classes. i'm actually treated with respect by the students and various companies i work for. i was offered a position at the British Council adult centre a few months ago and am starting to think i shouldn't have turned it down ;)

you gonna stick it out a while loner or look to do something else?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8845 on: September 21, 2018, 03:18:56 PM »
i know what you mean. sometimes i get back at 8.30-9pm and have to wake up at 6am. it's not ideal. finishing late and working weekends is why i ended up turning down the BC job, even though that was, really, the only negative thing about it.

we were thinking about a study room too, but, yeah, it's a big commitment and i don't really want to deal with kids again anyway

how would you move back to Scandinavia with Brexit looming?

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #8846 on: September 21, 2018, 08:10:29 PM »
Just renewed my visa. It's a great thing that you reserve an appointment and your number comes up at almost exactly that time. Everything went smooth and it was done in 3 minutes.
BUT I had to wait 40 minutes to get my ARC back. Why the hell does it take 40 minutes to stamp a new date on a plastic card?!

Still about the immigration... the way some people (don't) take care of themselves is just shocking. The waiting area smelled like a homeless shelter. I never been to one but I imagine they smell something like that. Massive BO from some dudes, enough to linger like 6-8 feet away easily. It wasn't even hot and it was only 10am.

And some other folks clearly haven't showered and/or changed clothes for several days. WTF!?

I had to wait outside in the lobby because I couldn't put up with it. And I even have a cold so my smelling is not that great.

If you go somewhere public, just please take a damn shower, put on some clean clothes and if you have BO issues, use some freakin deodorant!

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8847 on: September 21, 2018, 08:16:27 PM »
Just renewed my visa. It's a great thing that you reserve an appointment and your number comes up at almost exactly that time. Everything went smooth and it was done in 3 minutes.
BUT I had to wait 40 minutes to get my ARC back. Why the hell does it take 40 minutes to stamp a new date on a plastic card?!

Still about the immigration... the way some people (don't) take care of themselves is just shocking. The waiting area smelled like a homeless shelter. I never been to one but I imagine they smell something like that. Massive BO from some dudes, enough to linger like 6-8 feet away easily. It wasn't even hot and it was only 10am.

And some other folks clearly haven't showered and/or changed clothes for several days. WTF!?

I had to wait outside in the lobby because I couldn't put up with it. And I even have a cold so my smelling is not that great.

If you go somewhere public, just please take a damn shower, put on some clean clothes and if you have BO issues, use some freakin deodorant!
The 40 minutes is because every file is checked again. I had a supervisor come out and ask me a few more questions one time.

Not all migrant workers have regular access to showers! Some do live in conditions much like homeless shelters.

Offline TheEnergizer

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8848 on: September 22, 2018, 01:24:37 AM »

Lol same. I just renewed mine today as well and agree with everything you said.

Also f*ck immi for not letting me know I had to report that I got a new passport. 40,000 won fine. Good thing is I got 2 years renewal on my F6 instead of 1 year like the previous two times. So glad I won't have to deal with this next year!

Offline TheEnergizer

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8849 on: September 22, 2018, 01:28:07 AM »
i am so burnt out teaching kids i keep asking myself how i managed it for so long. how did i manage it for so long? every single day i come and teach in my after school program, there are at least 3 times a day that i'm tempted just to quit on the spot

Oh boy I feel you. I had to quit after school after my last contract. It's a joke. The hours look good, but the behavior is terrible and the classes are too long to teach the crappy books they give you.

The books are basically meant to make money for the company. 4 pages of fluff that you could teach in less than 20 minutes, yet the class is 50-55 minutes long. Go through the books in a month or two so the parents have to order more. For your sanity, please try to find something else.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8850 on: September 27, 2018, 09:16:25 AM »
Last Friday, I called my co-teacher at my travel school to let him know I was sick and couldn't come in - I was legitimately sick, I don't drink alcohol or anything, so no reason to pull a sickie, and was sick for half of chuseok - and he even agreed that I sounded sick and should stay home.

Get to my main school today, to find out, that my travel school contacted my main school, and basically said, I just didn't show up and didn't contact anyone to say I wouldn't be there.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8851 on: September 27, 2018, 09:28:09 AM »
Last Friday, I called my co-teacher at my travel school to let him know I was sick and couldn't come in - I was legitimately sick, I don't drink alcohol or anything, so no reason to pull a sickie, and was sick for half of chuseok - and he even agreed that I sounded sick and should stay home.

Get to my main school today, to find out, that my travel school contacted my main school, and basically said, I just didn't show up and didn't contact anyone to say I wouldn't be there.
Screen shot your phone log and call BS.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8852 on: September 27, 2018, 09:35:39 AM »

Screen shot your phone log and call BS.

I showed them my call log right after I said I made the call.
I still got looked at with suspicion. >.<

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #8853 on: September 27, 2018, 09:40:22 AM »

I'd go mental at that. 

Classic example of the "face dichotomy".  Foreigners are expected to never, ever make a coworker lose face, yet we're regularly made to look like total idiots/incompetent buffoons.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8854 on: September 27, 2018, 10:03:41 AM »
Your schools communicate with each other?  :P
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8855 on: September 27, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »
Your schools communicate with each other?  :P

This is the first time in over a year that they have communicated with each other :P So, not normally.

I'd go mental at that. 

Classic example of the "face dichotomy".  Foreigners are expected to never, ever make a coworker lose face, yet we're regularly made to look like total idiots/incompetent buffoons.

Yeah, I was pretty annoyed they'd accuse me of that.
It feels sorted out now, but it put a slight damper on the day. :\

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #8856 on: September 27, 2018, 10:24:37 AM »
I  and was sick for half of chuseok -

At least I wasn't the only one!  Sunday ~ Wed. sick a Hell, then fine this morning.   >:(

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8857 on: September 27, 2018, 10:26:22 AM »
I  and was sick for half of chuseok -

At least I wasn't the only one!  Sunday ~ Wed. sick a Hell, then fine this morning.   >:(

Fri - Sun for me :'( But my sore throat is still lingering. :'(

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8858 on: September 27, 2018, 10:36:50 AM »

The 40 minutes is because every file is checked again. I had a supervisor come out and ask me a few more questions one time.

Not all migrant workers have regular access to showers! Some do live in conditions much like homeless shelters.

Yeah. Seriously. Check your privilege. You need to understand that a lot of people visiting immigration may be provided with the same facilities that we are.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8859 on: September 27, 2018, 11:12:01 AM »

Yeah. Seriously. Check your privilege. You need to understand that a lot of people visiting immigration may be provided with the same facilities that we are.

Also, maybe it could just have been a rough day for some. This past Tuesday I had a shower around 11am with DO for the BO, and then starting getting all of my luggage loaded up for the airport. I swear, by the time my 5:00 flight rolled around, I felt as if I had been running all over the place (not that much to do, but everything just seemed busy). I smelled like total nasty BO. Luckily for other people, my wife was the one that had to sit beside me, but cheese'n'rice I smelled bad, and I knew it, but couldn't do anything about it.