December 10, 2018, 03:33:07 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1208431 times)

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8820 on: September 21, 2018, 09:07:33 AM »
But you seem unhappy too.
Dude, I ain't the one starting threads about to what degree Koreans wear sunglasses (seriously, WTF?) I'm the one starting threads about like, Star Trek. At least I try to have a sense of humor about things.

I'm at least trying to help things out by offering reasons why Koreans do what they do and putting it into context with the rest of humanity and offering alternative views to thinking about the situation rather than getting angry.

How exactly does a thread about Koreans and being surprised help anything?

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #8821 on: September 21, 2018, 09:27:52 AM »
But you seem unhappy too.
Dude, I ain't the one starting threads about to what degree Koreans wear sunglasses (seriously, WTF?) I'm the one starting threads about like, Star Trek. At least I try to have a sense of humor about things.

I'm at least trying to help things out by offering reasons why Koreans do what they do and putting it into context with the rest of humanity and offering alternative views to thinking about the situation rather than getting angry.

How exactly does a thread about Koreans and being surprised help anything?

Pointing something out doesn't mean you are angry or unhappy. It's just making a comment.

You reactions in many threads seem furious.

Why does anything here have to help anything? If someone directly asks for help or advice it's usually given in spades (See the poster who had washing machine problems). Everything else is just posting for posting sake. And yeah some of it is going to be negative. So? Some of it is just comments on stuff that happens. I don't come here to solve my life problems. If I did that I would be really, really stupid. I come here because I am killing time during the work day, reading about people who are in a similar life situation as me.

What are the big internet places for foreigners in Korea? Here, Daves is dead (kind of in part due to you), like I said r/korea is way, way more of a cesspool than this place.....the oink page? Bet you'd love that one.

Also, to you personally I will say that you do let things roll off your back here, but you also have the sense of humor of a door stop sometimes. I've always thought the meme about Americans not understanding irony or sarcasm was an over exaggeration. But you have made me rethink that. I have said some utterly preposterous things to you that were clear as a day a joke or ironic in the absolute extreme and you react as though I'm actually being serious. Like I said I'd seen you wearing a denim jacket and a maga hat. And you got all huffy and offended. Like, how the fark would I know who you are if I saw you in public. I was being stupid.

Just as much as you say you don't take this place seriously, I really don't think anyone else does too.

Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #8822 on: September 21, 2018, 09:31:34 AM »

What are the big internet places for foreigners in Korea? Here, Daves is dead (kind of in part due to you), like I said r/korea is way, way more of a cesspool than this place.....the oink page? Bet you'd love that one.

My question is why are all the korea related "internet places" cesspools of negativity (to some degree)?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 09:39:40 AM by tylerthegloob »

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8823 on: September 21, 2018, 09:34:03 AM »
Imagine DeMartino standing in the 2 hour long line at Incheon airport with all the exhausted and disgruntled foreigners complaining about the the slowness of the line and the why can't we just use the Korean lines there aren't any Koreans here and 8 staff sitting doing nothing brigade and Tino is there in his suit standing tall, chest out, taking deep breaths of Korean air going this is the life isn't it. It doesn't get any better than this, this is the life. Back home, we'd be in the car and on the way home but I'd rather be here, living the faux Korean dream.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #8824 on: September 21, 2018, 09:44:57 AM »

My question is why are all the korea related "internet places" cesspools of negativity (to some degree)?
Do you really think it's just Korea? Anyone who was in Japan during it's heyday will remember Gaijinpot. That place was worse than all the Korea ones combined.
I lived in Italy and the expat forums there were just as bad too. People complaining about Italian incompetence, bragging about banging the locals, shitting on the food (yes there are people who didn't like authentic Italian food), corruption etc.

Why do people who are of the sensitive inclination call places like reddit, twitter, wherever else that lots of people get together on the internet, ""toxic""? Because places that allow a certain amount of anonymity, remote interaction, without the consequences of real life are probably going to bring out the negative side of people's natures. At least to an extent.

I'll still stand by thinking that this place is pretty mild. I'd say the more worrying thing is the gradual goober rightwing takeover that seems to have happened here. If anything stops me reading it's 10 threads, all a variation on "Trump is great. haha we owned the libs"
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8825 on: September 21, 2018, 10:02:17 AM »
I have said some utterly preposterous things to you that were clear as a day a joke or ironic in the absolute extreme and you react as though I'm actually being serious. Like I said I'd seen you wearing a denim jacket and a maga hat. And you got all huffy and offended. Like, how the fark would I know who you are if I saw you in public. I was being stupid.

Pretty sure that in those cases I acknowledged that you might be taking the piss out of me, which I said was great and all in good fun.

I mean Avec does it all the time and we've gone back and forth and it's all in good fun. I'd say only Stepz and gators! are really at a different level.

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #8826 on: September 21, 2018, 10:09:16 AM »

Do you really think it's just Korea? Anyone who was in Japan during it's heyday will remember Gaijinpot. That place was worse than all the Korea ones combined.
I lived in Italy and the expat forums there were just as bad too. People complaining about Italian incompetence, bragging about banging the locals, shitting on the food (yes there are people who didn't like authentic Italian food), corruption etc.

Yeah I haven't used those non-korea but country-related forums, so I guess I wouldn't know. My new question would then be why are expats so toxic online? I'm part of lots of non-country related forums that aren't nearly as toxic as these seem to be (and I agree this place is pretty mild compared to r/korea and oink, but still).

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #8827 on: September 21, 2018, 10:18:46 AM »
I'm reminded of something Ricky Gervais said on his podcast once (and I might be paraphrasing)...

"I know the world's great, it's just that some things annoy me".

I think most of the posters here probably have the same attitude.  Sometimes it's nice to be vindicated.  You see something annoying and you're basically saying "Is everybody else seeing this??", "Is everybody else annoyed by this or is it me?"

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #8828 on: September 21, 2018, 10:27:25 AM »
I'm reminded of something Ricky Gervais said on his podcast once (and I might be paraphrasing)...

"I know the world's great, it's just that some things annoy me".

I think most of the posters here probably have the same attitude.  Sometimes it's nice to be vindicated.  You see something annoying and you're basically saying "Is everybody else seeing this??", "Is everybody else annoyed by this or is it me?"

Yeah, I think you're right. But very rarely do I see people post things related to the "the world's great" part of that worldview.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8829 on: September 21, 2018, 11:28:44 AM »
And science backs this up- venting just breeds more anger and frustration.

Sources?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/high-octane-women/201102/feel-venting-you-may-want-think-again-literally
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bbushman/PSPB02.pdf
http://psycnet.apa.org/record/2006-21781-000

Relying on Anger and lashing out as a way to reduce negative feelings only teaches your that lashing out is a way to feel better.

Now, there are caveats about how you vent. For example "venting" by hitting a bunch of golf balls or chopping some wood or whatever is probably beneficial. Venting by insulting entire ethnicities online, probably not.

And we can just use our anecdotal evidence- Look at the haters, do they seem like a cheerful bunch? Has their ranting and venting made things easier or better for them? Seems like they just get angrier and angrier and write more and more angry threads and posts.

You're seeing what you want to see.
I DO NOT CONDONE, nor do I insult Korean people, they're individuals. I have my opinions about their culture, which I believe, for the most part, is no longer relevant and completely opposed to the Economic and Political model that South Koreans themselves chose to adopt. Still, cultures naturally bend and mold to suit the environment it just takes time, it's best not to force it.
As you say, venting can be done via a physical outlet like exercise, but, it can also be done via a creative or emotional outlet such as playing music, talking and writing. What people are doing here is venting using the medium of writing.

You are the one who chooses to interpret writing which is critical of Korean culture and norms as insulting ethnicities simply because it aligns with your agenda. The irony is that while you believe that venting makes one more miserable, you certainly sound like the most miserable of all.

Just let it go, dog. It's just a lame website.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #8830 on: September 21, 2018, 12:45:17 PM »
      I rarely rant, but....

So early this morning I was out and about walking my wieners, and was meandering through the little park/playground beside my apartment complex when lo and behold I saw a used hypodermic needle lying on the ground, with a little bit of yellow crap still in the syringe. Just lying there. In the playground:huh:
    WTF???  >:(

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8831 on: September 21, 2018, 12:47:06 PM »
      I rarely rant, but....

So early this morning I was out and about walking my wieners, and was meandering through the little park/playground beside my apartment complex when lo and behold I saw a used hypodermic needle lying on the ground, with a little bit of yellow crap still in the syringe. Just lying there. In the playground:huh:

Whoa. That's seriously f'd up. Also really bizarre. Like, I wonder what it was even used for. But seriously, that's super messed up.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #8832 on: September 21, 2018, 12:53:01 PM »
      I rarely rant, but....

Whoa. That's seriously f'd up. Also really bizarre. Like, I wonder what it was even used for. But seriously, that's super messed up.
I was was wondering that as well. Considering how viscous that yellow goop was, I'm thinking that maybe some halmoni was using it to inject her special salt and sesame oil mixture into the chuseok chicken before sticking it in the microwave oven... But still...

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8833 on: September 21, 2018, 01:05:53 PM »
      I rarely rant, but....

I was was wondering that as well. Considering how viscous that yellow goop was, I'm thinking that maybe some halmoni was using it to inject her special salt and sesame oil mixture into the chuseok chicken before sticking it in the microwave oven... But still...

Someone might've used it for giving their pet a vaccination or something.

Or alternately for some hobby or craft, like applying glue? But that looks like a straight up hypodermic needle, not like a general use syringe.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8834 on: September 21, 2018, 01:32:05 PM »
My main middle school has a handball team, and the players are allowed to choose nicknames to be printed on their jerseys. That's a cool and fun thing for them to do, but I was taken aback today by the sight of a student with the N-word in all-caps emblazoned across his back.

Obviously, a very confused student found himself being taken to the English office, where the KETs and I explained to him that it was not okay. I do realize that kids here most likely just don't really understand how strong and offensive that word can be, so I made sure he understood that he wasn't in trouble and I wasn't angry with him, but we definitely tried to impress it upon him that it's not acceptable. Hopefully it sunk in.

The teachers then tried to see if the letters could be peeled off, and when the students who tagged along to see their friend get in trouble confirmed that it was possible, I suggested just peeling off the N and replacing it with a T. Everybody likes Tigger!

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8835 on: September 21, 2018, 01:34:07 PM »
i am so burnt out teaching kids i keep asking myself how i managed it for so long. how did i manage it for so long? every single day i come and teach in my after school program, there are at least 3 times a day that i'm tempted just to quit on the spot

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8836 on: September 21, 2018, 01:37:27 PM »
My main middle school has a handball team, and the players are allowed to choose nicknames to be printed on their jerseys. That's a cool and fun thing for them to do, but I was taken aback today by the sight of a student with the N-word in all-caps emblazoned across his back.

Obviously, a very confused student found himself being taken to the English office, where the KETs and I explained to him that it was not okay. I do realize that kids here most likely just don't really understand how strong and offensive that word can be, so I made sure he understood that he wasn't in trouble and I wasn't angry with him, but we definitely tried to impress it upon him that it's not acceptable. Hopefully it sunk in.

The teachers then tried to see if the letters could be peeled off, and when the students who tagged along to see their friend get in trouble confirmed that it was possible, I suggested just peeling off the N and replacing it with a T. Everybody likes Tigger!

Haha. That's actually a great solution.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8837 on: September 21, 2018, 01:39:31 PM »

Tigger, please...
The World Ends With You

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8838 on: September 21, 2018, 01:42:39 PM »

You can also switch out the first 'G' with the 'N'.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8839 on: September 21, 2018, 01:47:40 PM »
Here I was, enjoying the day with no class. All the students and 90% of the teachers were gone on a field trip. It was just me in the office, peace and quiet, and some podcasts. And then that changed...

All the students and some teachers came back with 3 hours left in the school day. My office somehow became the hub for prepping all the food that the students would eat (everything microwaved: ramen, rice, you name it). There has been no less than 8 people in this small space at a time since they've all returned. I had hoped this last day before Chuseok would go in peace, but that was apparently asking too much. :cry:
The World Ends With You