November 18, 2018, 09:13:45 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1166557 times)

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8800 on: September 20, 2018, 10:55:22 AM »
As far as the negativity, I just don't get why people go to different places and then complain that people aren't the same as back home. Like seriously, why did you travel?

Fact is, a lot of people just aren't cut out for leaving their own culture.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8801 on: September 20, 2018, 11:01:20 AM »

They're all English teachers Tino. Have you not got your reading glasses on today?

You normally put up a better defence than that but you've embarrassed yourself here.
Yeah, and my friends back home all spoke English as well.

I don't know why your friends speaking a different language makes you uncomfortable and insecure.

It makes me neither of those things I just think it's incredibly rude and ignorant.

When you can't defend you deflect. Shāh māt.

Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8802 on: September 20, 2018, 11:04:02 AM »
I don't think there's anything that makes me as instantly angry than when someone pushes past and their bag or something pulls on my headphone cable. That feeling when your entire head suddenly gets yanked down is so irritating.

Lifehack 29: Wear headphones with cables tucked under your clothes to avoid someone's bag catching the cable and yanking your head.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #8803 on: September 20, 2018, 11:30:13 AM »
I don't think there's anything that makes me as instantly angry than when someone pushes past and their bag or something pulls on my headphone cable. That feeling when your entire head suddenly gets yanked down is so irritating.

word!

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8804 on: September 20, 2018, 11:51:07 AM »

cowboy -

i agree 1000000% with what zola said about you. but you're the one that's fed up with other people's posts? the same guy that does this kinda sht:

1) "Waygook.org user #basedcowboyshirt's #based lifehacks topic" - this is such a weird & pathetic way to title a thread. i get what you're trying to do - bump it a few times a month so it shows up and everyone sees it and remembers how RAndom & quirky you are. it's the corniest sht i've ever seen in my entire life.

1a) do you really refer to what 99% of what most adults do as "LiFEhACks"? it's soooo cool...it's like you're speaking internet!

2) do you seriously use "based" in conversations with other human adults? HOW OLD ARE YOU?

and a footnote for anybody that gives a sht...the term "based" got popular because of a rapper named LIL B. people referred to him as "The Based God". it was just a nonsense nickname. it was KINDA cool and funny like 5 years ago. if you have free time....listen to ANY of his songs or ANY of his videos and check him out (spoiler - he's weird and random. cowboy tries to act and talk like him and it's CORNY)

3) when you go out to lunch or dinner with your gf, friends, or colleagues, do you sreeeeeeeeeeeeeeech like you do on here when somebody orders a dessert or something sweet? your gf has to find that HILARIOUS i bet.

not based. who writes a 3 point essay (NUMBERED) about why someone else annoys them on the internet? cowboy is one of the lesser annoying posters. it's people who throw shitfits about silly things like using the word based that annoy me more.

I'd rather have someone roleplaying as Lil B than someone who derails every thread with a pointless argument. Admittedly though, the amount of Korean threads has definitely gone up lately
The World Ends With You

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8805 on: September 20, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »
I'm so sick of the miserable people on here who constantly just make topics like "Korea is ______" or "Koreans d _____ don't you hate it?"

It's just unending negativity. And most of it is stupid stuff that might be worth making an offhand mention of, but certainly not a topic that sticks around for a few days.

Like, venting is fine. It's necessary. But when it becomes this habitual, pathological need to have a giant negativity circlejerk all the time, there's something wrong.

Let's look at what you're saying:

I'm so sick of the miserable people on here who constantly just make topics like "Korea is ______" or "Koreans d _____ don't you hate it?"

We're approaching the final lap of a long year, people are tired and frustrated. Waygook.org is no longer a place to share lessons or one of the few places to ask for help, local FB groups, Google and logic are there too.
This site has become a place for foreigners to relieve stress through writing.
The real question is, why do you take this site so seriously? It's just a past-time.

Your mistake is to assume the people who make these types of threads are miserable. Living in a foreign country with a different culture is a rewarding, but frustrating experience. To me, Waygook.org is a tool, nothing more. It's something I use when I'm feeling bored frustrated, as getting my frustrations out into words is quite therapeutic. When I'm happy, I usually don't post, I enjoy my happiness in the real world. More often than not, this site will see me when I'm at my worst. That doesn't mean I'm miserable.

It's just unending negativity. And most of it is stupid stuff that might be worth making an offhand mention of, but certainly not a topic that sticks around for a few days.

So what? If you're looking for something positive and with my substance go read a book or watch Teletubbies. When people go to a Mcdonalds they don't complain about the absence of a wine list.

Like, venting is fine. It's necessary. But when it becomes this habitual, pathological need to have a giant negativity circlejerk all the time, there's something wrong.

I agree, but again, you've forgotten why people use this site. Do people usually go to a psychologist when they're happy? No, they go when they're miserable and need to get things off their chest so they can be happier and more productive outside the office.

Don't take this site so seriously.

Offline apancoe

• Veteran
« Reply #8806 on: September 20, 2018, 12:07:36 PM »
For those of you ripping on basedcowboy, you guys sound like a bunch of high schoolers.

demartino -

i think i know why you have 5254 posts and a majority of them are like this...reprimanding the youngsters, explaining things to lib-rules, and talking down to almost everybody.

it's because you think you're better than us because you've been here longer or you're older or whatever. but you aren't though. we're all here teaching English which means you're the same as us and that probably killllllllllls you on some weird ego/pride level. so you take every chance you get (evidenced by your FIVE THOUSAND POSTS) to try and put these little millennials in their place.  blow. me.

we're both teaching Engilsh in Korea so miss me with all your old man bullsht like we should automatically respect or listen to anything you say.
too many blueprints & not enough architects

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8807 on: September 20, 2018, 12:11:12 PM »

Your mistake is to assume the people who make these types of threads are miserable. Living in a foreign country with a different culture is a rewarding, but frustrating experience. To me, Waygook.org is a tool, nothing more. It's something I use when I'm feeling bored frustrated, as getting my frustrations out into words is quite therapeutic. When I'm happy, I usually don't post, I enjoy my happiness in the real world. More often than not, this site will see me when I'm at my worst. That doesn't mean I'm miserable.

Oh. I'm sorry. I wasn't using 'miserable' in the sense of someone being unhappy. I was using it in the sense of describing something small, meager or inadequate.

Offline apancoe

• Veteran
« Reply #8808 on: September 20, 2018, 01:10:35 PM »

Oh. I'm sorry. I wasn't using 'miserable' in the sense of someone being unhappy. I was using it in the sense of describing something small, meager or inadequate.

what?? so you're saying you didn't mean miserable or unhappy but rather:

I'm so sick of the small people on here who constantly just make topics like "Korea is ______" or "Koreans d _____ don't you hate it?

I'm so sick of the meager people on here who constantly just make topics like "Korea is ______" or "Koreans d _____ don't you hate it?

I'm so sick of the inadequate people on here who constantly just make topics like "Korea is ______" or "Koreans d _____ don't you hate it?

cowboy - why are you the way that you are?

aristocrat made a pretty decent point so you automatically go into survival mode and trip allllll over yourself back pedaling and word vomiting instead of being like...ahh cheers man, i didn't look at like that.

JESUS
too many blueprints & not enough architects

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8809 on: September 20, 2018, 02:57:09 PM »
we're both teaching Engilsh in Korea so miss me with all your old man bullsht like we should automatically respect or listen to anything you say.
How many posters here had an "I hate Koreans" phase BEFORE they even came to Korea?

I'm just trying to point out things that if you accept them, can make living here easier. If you rant about this and that and get frustrated, it DOES help to think about similar phenomenon back home and realize that part of this is just how people are and life goes on.

Does the ranting and the raving and the hating make your life any better? Has it helped you? Judging by how miserable a lot of the haters come across as, it hasn't. And science backs this up- venting just breeds more anger and frustration.

And yes, I do teach. I also have another career, and it's a career, not a job. So yes, I did get out of the teaching game in part, but I won't pretend I'm doing as well as some of the posters on here. Hats off to them. Check my posts- I always love it when people go out and get paid and make their dough.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8810 on: September 20, 2018, 02:58:09 PM »

It makes me neither of those things I just think it's incredibly rude and ignorant.

Well I disagree. I don't think it makes them either of those things. I also think it's rude and arrogant to expect other people to speak in a language that satisfies me.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8811 on: September 20, 2018, 03:14:32 PM »
And science backs this up- venting just breeds more anger and frustration.

Sources?
The World Ends With You

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #8812 on: September 20, 2018, 03:30:15 PM »

Well I disagree. I don't think it makes them either of those things. I also think it's rude and arrogant to expect other people to speak in a language that satisfies me.

There's a simple rule for this. When in a group of mixed language speakers you all try to speak in the language that excludes the least people from the conversation.

I guess your reaction to someone complaining that their friends have conversations in Afrikaans would be something like 'why don't you go and learn Afrikaans then?'
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 03:32:28 PM by eggieguffer »

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8813 on: September 20, 2018, 03:33:40 PM »

There's a simple rule for this. When in a group of mixed language speakers you all try to speak in the language that excludes the least people from the conversation.

Not in Martin's world. He doesn't even think staff at the mother ****** immigration office should be able to communicate with you in English.

Admit you are wrong once in a while and you'll be a better person for it Martin.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #8814 on: September 20, 2018, 03:45:15 PM »

Does the ranting and the raving and the hating make your life any better? Has it helped you? Judging by how miserable a lot of the haters come across as, it hasn't. And science backs this up- venting just breeds more anger and frustration.

But just like your constant defense that this place is just a time killer during your (seemingly) hours upon hours of free time, despite your 5000 posts and  multi paragraph screeds, it's the same for everyone else I would imagine.

Do you think people venting on here are going out into the real world and doing the same? I wouldn't think so. You are probably right that it doesn't really help much, venting here, but...so? Does your dross help anyone? Does it help you? I would bet that if we all met up, we would all find that everyone is pretty normal and similar to every other person you've met during your time in Korea. I don't think anyone is getting badly effected by what they read here. If they are, they should really take a break.

It's just a bunch of people typing shit on a website. If it's veering too negative for you and bringing you down, then take a break. I've been reading this place off and on for almost 6 years. It's about the same as it always has been. I would say there has been an uptick in the amount of pro-Trump "alt-right" type posting. But maybe that is just a reflection of society. That shit is boring and embarrassing to read. But as for the general negativity? This place is pretty mild. Save me the hand wringing.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline TheEnergizer

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8815 on: September 21, 2018, 07:53:16 AM »
Nearly all of my students keep doing these stupid hand signals from something called Tick Tock. It looks like some version of itsy bitsy spider but 50 times more annoying.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8816 on: September 21, 2018, 08:48:21 AM »

Sources?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/high-octane-women/201102/feel-venting-you-may-want-think-again-literally
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bbushman/PSPB02.pdf
http://psycnet.apa.org/record/2006-21781-000

Relying on Anger and lashing out as a way to reduce negative feelings only teaches your that lashing out is a way to feel better.

Now, there are caveats about how you vent. For example "venting" by hitting a bunch of golf balls or chopping some wood or whatever is probably beneficial. Venting by insulting entire ethnicities online, probably not.

And we can just use our anecdotal evidence- Look at the haters, do they seem like a cheerful bunch? Has their ranting and venting made things easier or better for them? Seems like they just get angrier and angrier and write more and more angry threads and posts.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #8817 on: September 21, 2018, 08:58:31 AM »

Sources?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/high-octane-women/201102/feel-venting-you-may-want-think-again-literally

Relying on Anger and lashing out as a way to reduce negative feelings only teaches your that lashing out is a way to feel better.

Now, there are caveats about how you vent. For example "venting" by hitting a bunch of golf balls or chopping some wood or whatever is probably beneficial. Venting by insulting entire ethnicities online, probably not.

And we can just use our anecdotal evidence- Look at the haters, do they seem like a cheerful bunch? Has their ranting and venting made things easier or better for them? Seems like they just get angrier and angrier and write more and more angry threads and posts.
But you seem unhappy too.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8818 on: September 21, 2018, 09:01:19 AM »

Sources?

But you seem unhappy too.

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. Suffering leads to defending every perceived anti-Korean sentiments on internet message boards.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8819 on: September 21, 2018, 09:02:22 AM »

I guess your reaction to someone complaining that their friends have conversations in Afrikaans would be something like 'why don't you go and learn Afrikaans then?'
No, my reaction would be to genuinely not give a shit if some people I'm with start speaking a different language for a bit, especially if something relating to back home gets brought up. People speaking in different languages doesn't make me uncomfortable or feel threatened or belittled. In fact, it's great to listen.

There's jokes or references that only work in one language and not the other.-*3..z.-.-......