December 12, 2018, 11:21:11 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1213596 times)

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8760 on: September 18, 2018, 11:47:14 AM »
English room at 8:40AM. I'm the only person who's been using this room for the past 3yrs.
I'm chilling, the lights are off, a gentle morning sun is lighting up the room and I'm listening to the birds.

A young woman (early to mid 20s) smashes the door open like she's 5-0, notices me and gets startled. I get a damn shock, but it's ok, she probably thought nobody was in the class as the lights are off. Without saying a word, she takes the liberty of switching on every light. I ask her not to do it and she complies. Again, not saying a word of greeting or introduction, she marches to the box of English materials and rummages through it.

I was completely discombobulated and couldn't respond to the shock of this rudeness.

I ask, in English, if she needs any help. She gives a curt no and before I can ask her who the hell she is, her phone rings and she answers it. She continues her conversation as she walks out the class leaving the door wide open. I later discover that she's the substitute English teacher (my CT is absent till November). She arrives 10min late to our first class, sits on her phone throughout the lesson and is already out the door and down the stairs before the bell can finish ringing.

Between classes, I caught her in the corridor. I try to express my annoyance in as polite a way as possible and ask that she introduce herself and greet before barging into the English room. She gives me one of those sarcastic 예s, the same ones you'd expect from an obnoxious middle-schooler and walks off.

What a rude little brat.

I've seen that from younger Koreans working the convenience stores, but a teacher?? She has some nerve. I wonder where she got it from :lipsrsealed:
The World Ends With You

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8761 on: September 18, 2018, 12:00:20 PM »
English room at 8:40AM. I'm the only person who's been using this room for the past 3yrs.
I'm chilling, the lights are off, a gentle morning sun is lighting up the room and I'm listening to the birds.

A young woman (early to mid 20s) smashes the door open like she's 5-0, notices me and gets startled. I get a damn shock, but it's ok, she probably thought nobody was in the class as the lights are off. Without saying a word, she takes the liberty of switching on every light. I ask her not to do it and she complies. Again, not saying a word of greeting or introduction, she marches to the box of English materials and rummages through it.

I was completely discombobulated and couldn't respond to the shock of this rudeness.

I ask, in English, if she needs any help. She gives a curt no and before I can ask her who the hell she is, her phone rings and she answers it. She continues her conversation as she walks out the class leaving the door wide open. I later discover that she's the substitute English teacher (my CT is absent till November). She arrives 10min late to our first class, sits on her phone throughout the lesson and is already out the door and down the stairs before the bell can finish ringing.

Between classes, I caught her in the corridor. I try to express my annoyance in as polite a way as possible and ask that she introduce herself and greet before barging into the English room. She gives me one of those sarcastic 예s, the same ones you'd expect from an obnoxious middle-schooler and walks off.

What a rude little brat.
yeah, man. a student gave me a nice piece of artwork she made (genuinely was pretty good), so i tape it on a cabinet door, behind the teacher's desk. i'm an after school instructor so share a classroom with the school's english teacher, but figure putting up a student's painting won't do any harm. anyway, i came in the next day and the artwork was gone, and i find it screwed up in the bin. no student would have removed as the class is always occupied with that teacher, or locked. this is the same teacher who, when i'm waiting for her class to finish (so i can prepare and teach my class), will deliberately turn off the computer, knowing i', waiting outside and need to use it after her, turn off the lights and then lock the door right in front of me, knowing i need to go in there. i mean, i've asked her not to several times, but she'll do it anyway the next time, right in front of me, too

i wonder what goes through some people's heads. who's got time for such passive-aggressive pettiness?

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #8762 on: September 18, 2018, 12:05:03 PM »
i wonder what goes through some people's heads. who's got time for such passive-aggressive pettiness?
Me.
I would replace the computer OS with linux, change the TV settings to English, hide all the board markers, and then plaster a gazillion student pictures over every available surface... 5 layers deep. Also, raise the chair to an uncomfortable level, and randomly lock one of the desk drawers.  :smiley:

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8763 on: September 18, 2018, 12:27:40 PM »
Me.
I would replace the computer OS with linux, change the TV settings to English, hide all the board markers, and then plaster a gazillion student pictures over every available surface... 5 layers deep. Also, raise the chair to an uncomfortable level, and randomly lock one of the desk drawers.  :smiley:

Maybe you can set up a big update upon the restart of the computer. Do the TV thing, and let students write nice notes on the board for the class she has in the morning. Continue to wait for her outside, and ask her again not to shutdown the computer and close up. If she does it, do all of the other stuff (every time), and if she listens just leave it all normal. She will eventually catch on.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8764 on: September 18, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »

What a rude little brat.

Make sure you include her in all lesson plans; "This will be your time to do A,B and C" etc.  Make her work!

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8765 on: September 18, 2018, 12:39:40 PM »
DeMartino's home cleaning tips-

1) OxiClean in your washing machine
2) Hangers falling down or in suboptimal locations? Use MightyPutty to set up clothes drying racks and hooks or attach it to tractor trailer to haul your new clothes dryer from store to apartment.
3) Wipe up excess moisture in your washing machine with Zorbeez cleaning cloth
4) Dings and dents can throw off your washing machine and lead to mildew buildup. Use DingKing to get those out.
5) SteamBuddy for lower drycleaning bills

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8766 on: September 18, 2018, 01:20:31 PM »
Waygook.org user #basedcowboyshirt's laundry tips:

- If you have the option, keep the lid or door of your laundry machine open. This also dramatically reduces the chance of getting moldy funk growing in there.

- Throw a bit of baking soda in each wash to help eliminated odours.

- For a boost in cleaning, use some washing soda. It's called 과탄산 소다 and it's amazing, but don't use it every wash, or on super delicate stuff, cause it can make your clothes fade a little more quickly.

- You can also toss a bit of citric acid (구연산) in your wash to kill bacteria and also brighten your clothes and give a boost to cleaning any oil-based dirt that might be in your clothes.

Yeah, I do all of that as others have also suggested the same things and reported good results.

But none of it was effective in my case, except for leaving the washing machine door open (but even then it's not enough -- it just slows it down). The lack of adequate water from my machine is probably the reason why most of the above isn't enough.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8767 on: September 18, 2018, 01:25:51 PM »

What a rude little brat.
yeah, man. a student gave me a nice piece of artwork she made (genuinely was pretty good), so i tape it on a cabinet door, behind the teacher's desk. i'm an after school instructor so share a classroom with the school's english teacher, but figure putting up a student's painting won't do any harm. anyway, i came in the next day and the artwork was gone, and i find it screwed up in the bin. no student would have removed as the class is always occupied with that teacher, or locked. this is the same teacher who, when i'm waiting for her class to finish (so i can prepare and teach my class), will deliberately turn off the computer, knowing i', waiting outside and need to use it after her, turn off the lights and then lock the door right in front of me, knowing i need to go in there. i mean, i've asked her not to several times, but she'll do it anyway the next time, right in front of me, too

Which is why I refuse to lower myself and try to sabotage her or make her life miserable, I'm at the school to teach to the best of my ability and even if I can get away with just playing movies all day or having little schoolyard spats with a 22yr old, I'll do my best to be professional.

This doesn't mean I have to go out of my way to include her. So far, I've been happy with extending her the same courtesy she gave me when she barged into class, I completely ignore her, which is rather easy when she speaks no English and does nothing but play on her phone.
I've taught on my own for years and really don't need the help of a kid who can barely string together an English sentence, actually she can't even do that, which I find disgraceful as a prospective English teacher (particularly a young one).

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8768 on: September 18, 2018, 01:37:59 PM »

- If you have the option, keep the lid or door of your laundry machine open. This also dramatically reduces the chance of getting moldy funk growing in there.

- For a boost in cleaning, use some washing soda. It's called 과탄산 소다 and it's amazing, but don't use it every wash, or on super delicate stuff, cause it can make your clothes fade a little more quickly.

- You can also toss a bit of citric acid (구연산) in your wash to kill bacteria and also brighten your clothes and give a boost to cleaning any oil-based dirt that might be in your clothes.

Yeah, I do all of that as others have also suggested the same things and reported good results.

But none of it was effective in my case, except for leaving the washing machine door open (but even then it's not enough -- it just slows it down). The lack of adequate water from my machine is probably the reason why most of the above isn't enough.

For reals, I find most front-loading washers to be totally garbage. I've only had experience with maybe four different ones in my life, but I've never liked them.

Sounds like your washing machine is super suck.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #8769 on: September 18, 2018, 02:38:44 PM »
Which is why I refuse to lower myself and try to sabotage her or make her life miserable, I'm at the school to teach to the best of my ability and even if I can get away with just playing movies all day or having little schoolyard spats with a 22yr old, I'll do my best to be professional.
   All jokes aside, I wouldn't really recommend any kind of contest of passive-aggressiveness. It rarely ends well for the foreign teacher.
    Professionalism is something we should all aspire to, especially when dealing with faculty we don't really like.
   Also, I hope nobody actually ever uninstalls Windows on a school computer: it upsets IT to no end.

I save my pettiness for the teachers I get along with best.  :smiley:

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #8770 on: September 18, 2018, 02:39:43 PM »

When and if you get some free time, fill both reservoirs with white vinegar and run at in the longest setting and the hottest water.  Vinegar helps break up any rust and scale that builds up in the machine/drum.  It also disinfects the drum.  Your place is going to stink like an Easter egg for a day or two, but it helps.  I do this to my machine at least once a month.  As for clothes smelling, you can also soak your clothes in vinegar and water over night then toss them into the machine the next morning.  Vinegar kills that sick mildew smell. 

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8771 on: September 18, 2018, 05:21:09 PM »
Do you mind PM'ing me the names of the cleaning solution and the mold stuff you mentioned once you get home? I'll try keep an eye out for them this weekend when I go grocery shopping!
And thanks heaps!! :D

Sure, no problem. I'm out of the mold cleaner stuff and don't remember the name, but I've got to go grocery shopping myself tonight and I'll take a picture for you. Same with my soaking solution stuff, I'll do it at the same time.

You can easily make your laundry machine use more water. On their factory setting they use almost no water at all for washing and very little even for rinsing. That is not enough to rinse all the laundry detergent out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gYXdfg9TFg

Check the video. The pressure switch might be in a different spot in your device but once you see it in the video you will recognize it for sure. It take about 3 minutes and all you need is a screwdriver.

THANK YOU, THIS WORKED OMG I CAN DO LAUNDRY LIKE A NORMAL PERSON AGAIN.

****** hell, I wish I'd learned about this sooner, gawd.

For reals, I find most front-loading washers to be totally garbage. I've only had experience with maybe four different ones in my life, but I've never liked them.

Sounds like your washing machine is super suck.

Yeah, my heart sank as soon as I saw it. Imagine my horror when I realized it was worse than the norm. But the quick adjustment that Lazio suggested seems to have taken care of that for me, so now it's just the constant mold vigil left.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 05:54:21 PM by Chinguetti »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8772 on: September 18, 2018, 05:42:04 PM »
When and if you get some free time, fill both reservoirs with white vinegar and run at in the longest setting and the hottest water.  Vinegar helps break up any rust and scale that builds up in the machine/drum.  It also disinfects the drum.  Your place is going to stink like an Easter egg for a day or two, but it helps.  I do this to my machine at least once a month.  As for clothes smelling, you can also soak your clothes in vinegar and water over night then toss them into the machine the next morning.  Vinegar kills that sick mildew smell.

Thanks, I've done this, too, but while my actual washing machine smelled better, my clothes continued smelling strangely after a couple of days from a fresh wash, even if I hadn't worn them at all. I think the main problem in my case was that my clothes weren't being adequately washed OR rinsed by the machine due to a lack of water, so not only was bacteria getting left behind on my clothes, I think they were also getting locked in by residual detergent. The only thing that helped at all was to soak my clothes every month, although I didn't use vinegar for this because I was afraid that the smell would stick to my clothes after doing it too often, lol.

I'll pick up the vinegar cleaning thing for the washing machine again as general maintenance against hard water gunk, though, and as a double-whammy for everything else that could be causing the smelly clothes.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 05:45:47 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #8773 on: September 18, 2018, 07:24:13 PM »

You can easily make your laundry machine use more water. On their factory setting they use almost no water at all for washing and very little even for rinsing. That is not enough to rinse all the laundry detergent out.

Check the video. The pressure switch might be in a different spot in your device but once you see it in the video you will recognize it for sure. It take about 3 minutes and all you need is a screwdriver.

Great! Glad I could help. I was also very frustrated with the amount of water, so I thought there might be a way to adjust it. I was surprised to see that it is way easier than I thought it would be. It was a life changer no doubt. Luckily I found this out after only a few weeks of frustration with the  lack of water in the drum.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:26:27 PM by Lazio »

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #8774 on: September 18, 2018, 09:38:25 PM »
There was middle aged korean guy on the train tonight who was pretending to sleep and had his hand on the seat next to him so that no one could sit down on that seat. People were looking at the seat wanting to sit down but no one did including me. Anyway another adjushi came and sat down on his hand and the guy held up his hand as if it was hurt. Problem solved and the selfish guy taking two seats had only one seat now. Well done to the dude who sat down. 

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8775 on: September 19, 2018, 07:54:13 AM »
Do you mind PM'ing me the names of the cleaning solution and the mold stuff you mentioned once you get home? I'll try keep an eye out for them this weekend when I go grocery shopping!

Sure, no problem. I'm out of the mold cleaner stuff and don't remember the name, but I've got to go grocery shopping myself tonight and I'll take a picture for you. Same with my soaking solution stuff, I'll do it at the same time.

****** hell, I wish I'd learned about this sooner, gawd.

This is probably the most happy and positive thing that anyone will post on this website for several weeks.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8776 on: September 19, 2018, 11:44:16 AM »

Just did it, but posting the info here in case anyone else would like it, too.

The powder that I use to make the soaking solution for my clothes is called "O2 그린 Plus+". I buy it from Homeplus, comes in a pink container, kept where the laundry detergents are. Brand name is 비트.  Before that I used Oxyclean, but they don't sell it in my neighborhood Homeplus or Emart anymore. Since Martin says he uses it, I guess it might still be around? I've attached a picture of the old bucket I used to buy (should be the last attached picture, written in hangul).

The washing machine cleanser that I buy is called "퀵크린" (the one with the big 99.9% on the label), also from Homeplus. They keep this and other products like it where the bathroom cleansers are.

I've also attached pictures of other similar products, either being sold in Homeplus, Emart, or Daiso. I've used the No Brand washing machine cleanser before, too. It got the job done, but I prefer 퀵크린.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 11:49:59 AM by Chinguetti »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8777 on: September 19, 2018, 11:57:16 AM »
Also, as a follow-up, I recommend treating your washing machine before washing your clothes again, even if you've soaked them first.

First, with the anti-mold cleanser.

Then, with vinegar. I know that vinegar is also supposed to kill mold, but while it helped it never fully took care of the problem for me. The washing machine cleanser was the most effective for killing mold, while the vinegar really helped with the hard water residue and trapped bacteria.

I use the 02 soak to break up any built-up crap trapped in the clothing fibers, then let the washing machine take care of the rest. I'll probably still do this once every three or four months to help maintain colors and whiteness, but I shouldn't have to do this every month like I've had to, now that my washing machine has stopped acting like a stingy c**t.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 12:49:11 PM by Chinguetti »

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8778 on: September 19, 2018, 02:51:32 PM »
I'm so sick of the miserable people on here who constantly just make topics like "Korea is ______" or "Koreans d _____ don't you hate it?"

It's just unending negativity. And most of it is stupid stuff that might be worth making an offhand mention of, but certainly not a topic that sticks around for a few days.

Like, venting is fine. It's necessary. But when it becomes this habitual, pathological need to have a giant negativity circlejerk all the time, there's something wrong.

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #8779 on: September 19, 2018, 02:57:04 PM »
I'm so sick of the miserable people on here who constantly just make topics like "Korea is ______" or "Koreans d _____ don't you hate it?"

It's just unending negativity. And most of it is stupid stuff that might be worth making an offhand mention of, but certainly not a topic that sticks around for a few days.

Like, venting is fine. It's necessary. But when it becomes this habitual, pathological need to have a giant negativity circlejerk all the time, there's something wrong.

A circlejerk it certainly is. And I agree 100%