October 16, 2018, 04:53:26 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1118150 times)

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8720 on: July 18, 2018, 02:34:11 PM »
Today is draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagging.

Have you considered taking speed?

Not until now. Wanna deliver some to my school?

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8721 on: July 18, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »

Not until now. Wanna deliver some to my school?

Co-worker just came by with a round of iced coffee for the crew.
Caffeine level back on spec!

(Is it Friday yet?)

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #8722 on: July 19, 2018, 07:35:27 AM »

You need more E's.............in that word.

Offline rufus947

• Adventurer
« Reply #8723 on: July 19, 2018, 08:01:02 AM »
Hopefully this is the right place to bitch about co workers.
Generally my co teachers are a massive help. I have three, one for fourth, fifth and sixth grade. Sadly my sixth grade co teacher took early maternity leave about four months ago. I ended up with a temporary co teacher who is completely inept.
She lets students talk over her, can't effectively discipline students and never even asks what we're going to do before a lesson. I've had four months of being responsible for planning out the semester, preparing all lesson material and figuring out how to present it without a co teacher to help translate because her English level is lower than a lot of my students.
She actually makes my job more difficult by walking around while i'm presenting vocabulary, the rules of a game or playing a song while the students complete a gapfill and then she just chats in Korean which is really distracting. She almost never speaks in English during lessons. My ideal lesson these days are the ones where she stands at the back subtly using her phone. I've also noticed that some of the work she does during her solo lessons seems very low level.. like 3rd or 4th grade color the picture kind of stuff. The classroom is often messier as well so I end up tidying frequently after her lessons end. She also has a terrible habit of jamming the photocopier and then just walking away... which isn't a great tactic as its jammed with her crappy worksheets.
I'm proud to say that three of my sixth grade classes are doing very well overall but the other two are noticeably worse in terms of their behavior.
At this point i'm feeling burnt out and can only hope that I never have the misfortune of working with her again after the semester ends next week.
Rant finished....

I have a similar situation, but with my 5th grade coteacher. First coteacher was a temp coteacher. She was absolutely amazing. We were around the same age (both on the younger end), and she spoke almost perfect English. We would plan lessons together and I knew that her lessons would be excellent with or without me. Kids excelled, and, despite being notoriously the worst behaved grade in the school, they behaved quite well in our classes.

In the middle of the semester, the original (full time) teacher returned. She's back just to finish out the semester and get retirement. She's the sweetest person in the world, but she can't speak English to save her life, and she can't control the students. In just a month, all of the classes have devolved. They don't listen, they don't participate, and they don't retain anything they've learned.

I've instituted a 3-strike system. They get a tally mark on the board if they're loud or not listening (the whole class, or just one person), and 3 tallies means we stop whatever we're doing and they have to copy and translate lines in silence for the rest of class. They're still not as good as they were with the temp teacher, but they are behaving better.

Oh man.. that sounds tragic. The other day I tried talking to my co teacher about how the 6th grade has gotten worse, problem students, problem classes and all of that good stuff. Unfortunately my co teacher had drawn a dragon on her hand.. and every time she moved her thumb it looked like the dragon was breathing fire.. so I don't think she really focused on what I said or will work to improve in any way. Thankfully just four days left of teaching with her. I'd honestly quit if I had to work with her for another semester.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8724 on: July 19, 2018, 08:03:46 AM »
I have a coworker who is just wonderful. She is excellent at her job, friendly, always smiling, and just great person to be around... except her breath!

There seams to be a stark divide in Korea - those who carry a toothbrush everywhere and those who don't own one.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8725 on: July 19, 2018, 08:20:13 AM »
I have a coworker who is just wonderful. She is excellent at her job, friendly, always smiling, and just great person to be around... except her breath!

There seams to be a stark divide in Korea - those who carry a toothbrush everywhere and those who don't own one.

To be fair they are extremely overpriced. Back home my carbon fibre handled toothbrush with spider cob web bristles and alligator hide rear for tongue scrubbing is similarly expensive. 
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #8726 on: July 19, 2018, 09:02:00 AM »
Individually wrapped cookies.

**** you, Lotte.
yeah, ordering stuff like cans of tuna from coupang. wrapped in bubble wrap, with the cans wrapped in plastic (in cans of 3), and then the cans of 3 are wrapped in more plastic, in sets of 9.

this is all surrounded with those air-pocket padding, and put in a box. or, in another plastic bag

That is SO bad for the environment. Did you know South Korea has the highest per capita plastic consumption in the world? And did you know plastic is made from petroleum, a finite resource? Hopefully excess packaging and plastic umbrella covers, etc. will go away or at least be reduced soon. I've been thinking of ways to help make that happen.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8727 on: July 19, 2018, 09:13:27 AM »

**** you, Lotte.
yeah, ordering stuff like cans of tuna from coupang. wrapped in bubble wrap, with the cans wrapped in plastic (in cans of 3), and then the cans of 3 are wrapped in more plastic, in sets of 9.

this is all surrounded with those air-pocket padding, and put in a box. or, in another plastic bag

That is SO bad for the environment. Did you know South Korea has the highest per capita plastic consumption in the world? And did you know plastic is made from petroleum, a finite resource? Hopefully excess packaging and plastic umbrella covers, etc. will go away or at least be reduced soon. I've been thinking of ways to help make that happen.

Don't forget most frequent use of plastic surgery! They really love their plastic!
The World Ends With You

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8728 on: July 19, 2018, 09:24:40 AM »

**** you, Lotte.

I bought a loaf of bread the other day (wrapped in plastic) and the dude put it inside another plastic bag. I was like it's alright I'll just carry it as it is. So many wasteful and unnecessary uses of plastics here. 
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #8729 on: July 19, 2018, 09:27:59 AM »

**** you, Lotte.

I bought a loaf of bread the other day (wrapped in plastic) and the dude put it inside another plastic bag. I was like it's alright I'll just carry it as it is. So many wasteful and unnecessary uses of plastics here.

I struggle so much with my plastic consumption.

On one hand  I try to cut it back as much as possible, but when I've spent too much money I fall back to cheap foods that are wrapped in so much plastic. It's so shitty of me. I also hate that our recycling must be put out in plastic bags here. Like why.

Also why are bananas here often sold in plastic bags or on foam trays with plastic wrap???

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8730 on: July 19, 2018, 09:29:40 AM »

**** you, Lotte.

I struggle so much with my plastic consumption.

On one hand  I try to cut it back as much as possible, but when I've spent too much money I fall back to cheap foods that are wrapped in so much plastic. It's so shitty of me. I also hate that our recycling must be put out in plastic bags here. Like why.

Also why are bananas here often sold in plastic bags or on foam trays with plastic wrap???

I recycle my plastics by putting them into a cardboard box, and my cardboard / paper into a separate cardboard box. :P

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8731 on: July 19, 2018, 10:14:10 AM »

i'm pretty sure they do this with fruit and veg so they can hide the bruised or slightly off parts, by hiding it with the foam trays

at least, i have often bought fruit or veg like this, only to get home, unwrap it and find that it's completely mouldy or bruised at the bottom

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #8732 on: July 19, 2018, 10:18:44 AM »
So many wasteful and unnecessary uses of plastics here.
I ordered ecobags. They came individually wrapped in plastic.  :cry:

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8733 on: July 19, 2018, 10:39:41 AM »
So many wasteful and unnecessary uses of plastics here.
I ordered ecobags. They came individually wrapped in plastic.  :cry:

LMAO

Offline Sasstiel

• Adventurer
« Reply #8734 on: July 19, 2018, 02:56:19 PM »
I'm gonna be "that person" this year.

Daegu's current weather is NSFL, and I'm from a place that's famous for its heat and humidity.
I'm funnier in Enochian.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8735 on: August 06, 2018, 11:20:27 AM »
Deskwarming!   >:(

Heat & humidity!  :-[

The loud incessant noise of power tools from construction going on in school!  >:(

I wanna go home.  :cry:

Offline SeoulAlone

• Adventurer
« Reply #8736 on: August 06, 2018, 04:28:22 PM »
Had a rat bastard sh*t head of a 6th grader in last weeks camp storm out of my class because I wouldn't let him go sit in the computer lab during class.  Seriously, the WORST camp I've ever had.  Most of the kids were forced to be there, most of them sat in silence the ENTIRE class (even during activities) had the worst room in the entire school for A/C (it hardly worked)  And I could keep going and going on how sh*tty this camp was, but I'd be here all day. 

Only good thing that came out of that camp, IT'S OVER!!! 

Offline ESLTurtle

• Veteran
« Reply #8737 on: August 06, 2018, 08:44:37 PM »
When you see some old foreign dude ugly af with a Korean girl that looks like she's in middle school.

dafuq??  8)

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8738 on: August 07, 2018, 08:16:04 AM »
When you see some old foreign dude ugly af with a Korean girl that looks like she's in middle school.

dafuq??  8)

Jealous? A lot of Korean girls/women look younger than they actually are. Maybe, she is in high school ;)

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8739 on: August 07, 2018, 08:44:08 AM »
Yesterday, right before I started day 1 of my 3 day camp, my CT casually informs me that she hasnít bought any of the materials for the Rube Goldberg machine I had planned for the students. I had no time to be pissed and hastily switched to my day 3 plan, which was still a mess as I didnít bring all the materials from home. Class started 20min late, while I was rushing to setup the activities. At the end of the day I expressly told my CT to inform me beforehand if there were any change in plans, apparently she was ďso busyĒ last week, she had no time to send a Kakao message.

Today, not only did she fail to bring the materials, AGAIN! She also screwed up the simple procedure of copying a few pictures from 2 studentís phones and saving it to the PC. The students are now upset that they didnít get points they were supposed to. They were excited about the Rube Goldberg machine and now sheís teaching ďArt DayĒ, where they colour in famous paintings. The students are pretty bored and thereís zero reason for me to be here... Who says professionalism doesnít exist in Korea?