November 16, 2018, 04:25:16 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1163064 times)

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8680 on: September 06, 2018, 09:21:44 AM »
My theory to makes Koreans more careful at driving is to make them all drive manuals.  Automatics make it too easy to be a shitier driver than they already are.

True that! I learned on a manual but I also learned how to drive safely. Driving a manual means that they [Korean drivers] would need to concentrate more on the road but given that they don't already check mirrors and indicate BEFORE changing lanes then I foresee more accidents. Also, how can they hold their phone and change gears at the same time?

Not sure if it is the same system here, but in England if you learn and then take the test in an automatic car, then you can only drive automatics, unless you 'upgrade' when you pass the manual test.  If you take a manual test, then you can drive both.

New Zealand used to have that rule. If you pass the drivers test in an auto = can only drive an auto; pass in a manual = can drive any kind.
About 3 - 5 years ago, they got rid of it, and if you pass, you can do anything now.

Could you imagine driving out of one of those underground car parks with the incredibly steep slope in head to tail traffic with all the Koreans in front of you driving a manual?! You'd never get out. There's be a pile of cars on the bottom with shrapnel everywhere.

I imagine all those car parts centers stocked full of new clutches just waiting to be fitted.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8681 on: September 06, 2018, 09:56:23 AM »
You are my minion and you know it. Dance for me minion. Dance!
Go fetch me a bowl of nuts and while you are it get me that goddamn photo you promised me. Raise your hand high in the air with your thumb up, to signify your minion status, for me, Zola.

Just for that public disrespect: you now have 12 hours.

PS. you aren't one of those cute yellow cartoon minions from that movie either. You are more of a minion in the style of Igor from Frankenstein. Or wormtongue from Lord of the Rings.

Kind of odd. If I'm your minion, how come you're the one that follows me around and gets all worked up about me? I don't give two shits about you, but you and a few others seem to be borderline obsessed and triggered by me.

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8682 on: September 06, 2018, 10:09:36 AM »
Go fetch me a bowl of nuts and while you are it get me that goddamn photo you promised me. Raise your hand high in the air with your thumb up, to signify your minion status, for me, Zola.

PS. you aren't one of those cute yellow cartoon minions from that movie either. You are more of a minion in the style of Igor from Frankenstein. Or wormtongue from Lord of the Rings.

Kind of odd. If I'm your minion, how come you're the one that follows me around and gets all worked up about me? I don't give two shits about you, but you and a few others seem to be borderline obsessed and triggered by me.

Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8683 on: September 06, 2018, 10:16:51 AM »

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #8684 on: September 06, 2018, 10:50:29 AM »

Look at this libtard everyone. I triggered him. I triggered him good. You cuck. You alt right. I don't follow you around. I don't even know who you are.

Anyway, where the bloody hell is the photo I requested? The deadline is well past. Don't you dare show your face around here again.

PS. You are my minion. My delightful little minion. You are also so triggered.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8685 on: September 06, 2018, 11:21:01 AM »
My theory to makes Koreans more careful at driving is to make them all drive manuals.  Automatics make it too easy to be a shitier driver than they already are.

True that! I learned on a manual but I also learned how to drive safely. Driving a manual means that they [Korean drivers] would need to concentrate more on the road but given that they don't already check mirrors and indicate BEFORE changing lanes then I foresee more accidents. Also, how can they hold their phone and change gears at the same time?

Not sure if it is the same system here, but in England if you learn and then take the test in an automatic car, then you can only drive automatics, unless you 'upgrade' when you pass the manual test.  If you take a manual test, then you can drive both.

New Zealand used to have that rule. If you pass the drivers test in an auto = can only drive an auto; pass in a manual = can drive any kind.
About 3 - 5 years ago, they got rid of it, and if you pass, you can do anything now.

Absolutely!

I drove an auto for the first time in my life, while visiting the states during the holidays. I hated it so much and can definitely see how it can (not will) make you a worse driver. First, it's the acceleration, when you push your foot down on an auto, there's a delay before the car accelerates as it has to first compute the amount of pressure you applied with your foot and relate that to how fast you're going to apply what it thinks is the appropriate amount of acceleration.
This lag can be incredibly dangerous.

It also felt like I was fighting with the car, the car didn't feel like an extension of my body, it just didn't feel intuitive at all. Forcing a driver to select gears and use the clutch means they develop an intuition about the surface of the road, the speed you're traveling and the cars response to your foot is immediate.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #8686 on: September 06, 2018, 11:41:46 AM »
Absolutely!
I drove an auto for the first time in my life, while visiting the states during the holidays. I hated it so much and can definitely see how it can (not will) make you a worse driver. First, it's the acceleration, when you push your foot down on an auto, there's a delay before the car accelerates as it has to first compute the amount of pressure you applied with your foot and relate that to how fast you're going to apply what it thinks is the appropriate amount of acceleration.
This lag can be incredibly dangerous.

It also felt like I was fighting with the car, the car didn't feel like an extension of my body, it just didn't feel intuitive at all. Forcing a driver to select gears and use the clutch means they develop an intuition about the surface of the road, the speed you're traveling and the cars response to your foot is immediate.
In Dutch, cars are called autos, so when I read this comment I was very confused for a few moments.

Offline gagevt

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #8687 on: September 07, 2018, 03:29:31 PM »
Just in case this is news to anyone, which it shouldn't be..  Personal attacks, trolling, inappropriate language and the like are still not permitted in this thread.

Thanks  :azn:
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8688 on: September 07, 2018, 03:32:28 PM »
Just in case this is news to anyone, which it shouldn't be..  Personal attacks, trolling, inappropriate language and the like are still not permitted in this thread.

Thanks  :azn:

Just in this thread? haha
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8689 on: September 07, 2018, 03:35:01 PM »
do i teach kids who are absolute morons?

if you've been studying english every day for over 5 years, and can't read the word 'pencil'...

anyone else have similar situations?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8690 on: September 07, 2018, 03:38:42 PM »
do i teach kids who are absolute morons?

if you've been studying english every day for over 5 years, and can't read the word 'pencil'...

anyone else have similar situations?

UGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH We learn one sentence over 2 weeks. Let's play __________ (insert sport here.)

Then, on the last day there's always the clueless kid.

:police: Let's what?

:shocked: 뭐?

:police: *Points at the picture. There could be no confusion as to its baseball-ness*

:shocked: 뭐?

:police: Let's p---------- what? What sport? Let's ppppppp--------------- *grunt noise*

:shocked: 야구?

:evil: Internal monologue ----> FFS, what the F have you been doing for the last two weeks?

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8691 on: September 09, 2018, 06:30:37 AM »
My personal favorite:

Me: Tell me what this zoomed in picture is!

Student 1: Cheese!

Me: No.  :azn:

Student 2: Cheese!

Me: No!  :undecided:

Student 3: Cheese!

Me: NO!!  :huh:
The World Ends With You

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8692 on: September 10, 2018, 11:29:31 AM »
Opened a small seasoning packet of sesame oil without paying attention.

You don't realize how far a little oil can go until it gets into every ****** thing within a five foot radius.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8693 on: September 11, 2018, 08:28:29 AM »
Rant 1

Just love the double standards of Korea, here's a list of my Tuesday school CT's achievements:

- Nice Person, but ridiculously shy and meek
- Terrible at English and managing a class in general
- Does nothing but hand out my worksheets during class
- Takes at least a full week off every month, since the beginning of the year.
- Haven't seen her since the start of the term and just got a message that she's sick and will be coming back in November
- Her husband's a VP at another school and he's rarely at school either

Now I'm not disputing whether she's really sick or not, though she's never shown any symptoms while at school, but the cold truth remains, if you can't be at work, you shouldn't be employed. Friend of mine, a few years back, got really sick and took 2 weeks off to recover. Her contract wasn't renewed.

Rant 2

The same school has the English room wired so that you can't engage the ceiling fans without turning on the ridiculously blinding fluorescent lighting. So, either stuffy or blind.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8694 on: September 11, 2018, 10:31:19 AM »
I have a 2nd grade boy who gets bullied a lot by everyone, including the girls.

To be honest, he can be childish and annoying. Not in that loud sort of way, but he likes to keep playing playground types of jokes on others and doesn't know when to stop until people get angry with him. So I get having a short amount of patience with him.

But the kind of hostility and animosity that comes from some of the students towards him is above and beyond. He's not a bad kid, just a little socially awkward. He doesn't pick on anyone, never tries to hurt anyone, he doesn't dig through people's shit like some of these kids do. He really doesn't deserve how a lot of the other students treat him.

But he's an easy target. He's a small, little guy, smaller than the average, and doesn't really know how to make friends outside of being what he thinks is playful. I feel so bad for him.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8695 on: September 11, 2018, 10:59:47 AM »
I have a 2nd grade boy who gets bullied a lot by everyone, including the girls.

To be honest, he can be childish and annoying. Not in that loud sort of way, but he likes to keep playing playground types of jokes on others and doesn't know when to stop until people get angry with him. So I get having a short amount of patience with him.

But the kind of hostility and animosity that comes from some of the students towards him is above and beyond. He's not a bad kid, just a little socially awkward. He doesn't pick on anyone, never tries to hurt anyone, he doesn't dig through people's shit like some of these kids do. He really doesn't deserve how a lot of the other students treat him.

But he's an easy target. He's a small, little guy, smaller than the average, and doesn't really know how to make friends outside of being what he thinks is playful. I feel so bad for him.

Sounds like he falls on the Autism scale?

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8696 on: September 11, 2018, 11:04:26 AM »
Sounds like he falls on the Autism scale?

Possibly, but I don't personally think so? He doesn't exhibit any real symptoms outside of not knowing when to stop with his annoying but truly harmless pranks. He just hasn't grown up out of his primary school phase, yet, and doesn't have any real friends to help him learn the ropes because everyone's just kind of written him off already. So no matter what he does, he's already starting off on a bad foot. He's basically just a fish out of water who needs a little guidance, but no one is willing to give that to him, so he's falling back on antics because it's the only way he knows how to get attention from the other students.

A true omega as I've ever seen one. Most of the students are indifferent towards him, but how they respond to him is overly unkind, and he's targeted a lot by the less benevolent ones. And the KTs just ignore him.

Times like this I wish I knew enough Korean to have a more meaningful conversation with him.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:11:52 AM by Chinguetti »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8697 on: September 11, 2018, 11:30:27 AM »
I've found it's impossible to control what the students do outside class, obviously, but in the class I can.  I watch my students a lot during class and also during breaktime and how they interact with each other.  Generally, if I have those kind of socially awkward students, I would try and find a kindred soul for them to sit with, all the while keeping the other less nice kids away from them. 

Years ago, I had three bully boys in a group of fifteen, with two of the other fifteen being slow learners.  These three boys always wound up one of the slow learners, who himself was not always innocent of starting things.  But I made in no uncertain terms that IF in my class he gets upset or is made to cry by you then YOU will be in trouble.  Not him.  When I made the seat plan the three bullies were always separate and never near him.

It's really difficult and something you'll wrack your brains trying to solve, but in the end it's kind of out of your hands.  In your personal space, you can do something to make them comfortable, but outside of that you just have to let them grow up.

Yeah, there's not a whole lot I can do except control how the students behave in my class, but I can still see a lot of passive aggressive behavior meant to hide what they're doing. They think it gives them plausible deniability, and the boy, obviously, also denies anything's going on because he doesn't want it to come down on him later.

It's frustrating, especially when the KTs don't seem all that concerned about it (most likely because they don't know what to do about it, either, so it's just easier to ignore it... and also possibly because they might believe that bullying is the best method for learning social etiquette and your place -- it's how a lot of things are done in Korea).

The problem, though, is that pigeonholing is common here and hard to get out of once you're in, and the students have already made up their minds about him. He's fighting an uphill battle, no matter what he or anyone else does at this point. Younger students are more flexible with their attitudes, but once they hit middle school their attitudes become more rigid. I feel like a lot of his antics is more how he tries to cope with all of that, and to force the students not to ignore him.

I mean I'm thankful he's at least not a wang-ta, but he's at a stage in his life that he needs someone to talk to, and he doesn't have anyone.  :sad: All I can do is hope that he figures things out until he can move on to a better time in his life.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8698 on: September 11, 2018, 01:30:29 PM »
Whenever you see advertisements for adult English hagwons, the commercials are often along the lines of, 'Isn't English terrifying? Doesn't it make you SO NERVOUS AND SWEATY?! Come to us and we'll make it SO EASY!"

누구 영어를 말했어요?

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8699 on: September 12, 2018, 12:14:02 PM »
The ginger tea mix I bought tastes like it was brewed in nail polish remover. Wasted 5k won.