September 21, 2018, 10:28:15 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1095207 times)

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8680 on: July 17, 2018, 07:54:16 AM »
Lovely someone in the office has a cold. Let's turn off the aircon and all suffer.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8681 on: July 17, 2018, 08:50:23 AM »
If it was 40 minutes a day, or even 90 minutes a day, I'd be fine with all 29 of them. That's a normal class for me. But the kids are a little more wild during the summer because it's break, and I'll have them for 3 hours straight. That's a little more than I can comfortably handle by myself. 5th and 6th graders were limited to 16 (4 from each grade and gender). Heck, if the students were even intermediate level English, I'd be fine with that many. It's just the combination of school break, young and wild, and low level English that makes me uncomfortable with having that many for that length of time.

Thankfully, my coteacher is siding with me, and the school generally lets her do her thing when it comes to me. So fingers crossed I don't have to open up more spots.

I've taught camp with 3rd and 4th grade classes of 20 before. by myself. it's generally fine. One break the student numbers even went a bit over 20, like 23 or 24.

Just split them into groups and do lots of crafts and drawing/coloring etc.

Nothing that requires too much teaching or prep or clean up on the part of the teacher. Kaleidocycles, Pokemon stuff, Avengers stuff, my kids loved all of that.

If you get them to play games, do games that require only within-group competition. Don't do anything requiring between-group competition like bomb games. Games like Uno or various other simple card games are good. then just bounce between the groups to check on them.

Mini Jenga is about 3000won at daiso.  Write a number on each brick, then you can create a sheet with questions/activites next to each number.  They have to do what's on the question sheet before they can place the remove brick on top.  You can create a different set of activities per grammar topic / book chapter.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8682 on: July 17, 2018, 09:20:29 AM »
Individually wrapped cookies.

**** you, Lotte.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8683 on: July 17, 2018, 09:22:31 AM »

**** you, Lotte.

I ordered some box tape. 26 rolls. I use a lot of tape. EVERY roll of tape was individually wrapped in a plastic bag.

Stupid.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8684 on: July 17, 2018, 09:34:40 AM »

**** you, Lotte.

I ordered some box tape. 26 rolls. I use a lot of tape. EVERY roll of tape was individually wrapped in a plastic bag.

Stupid.

Really, what kind of people do they take us for?

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8685 on: July 17, 2018, 10:18:47 AM »
My Korean customs clearance code is saved on my Amazon address book... Still, I'm constantly getting e-mails from customs asking for my clearance code, it's annoying as hell when you do the bulk of your shopping online. Read the address, you freakin' wallies.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8686 on: July 17, 2018, 10:22:25 AM »
My Korean customs clearance code is saved on my Amazon address book... Still, I'm constantly getting e-mails from customs asking for my clearance code, it's annoying as hell when you do the bulk of your shopping online. Read the address, you freakin' wallies.

That's why I use my wife's code so she can get bothered by customs :)

donovan

« Reply #8687 on: July 17, 2018, 10:35:19 AM »

**** you, Lotte.

Stupid.

Really, what kind of people do they take us for?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8688 on: July 17, 2018, 10:57:44 AM »

**** you, Lotte.
yeah, ordering stuff like cans of tuna from coupang. wrapped in bubble wrap, with the cans wrapped in plastic (in cans of 3), and then the cans of 3 are wrapped in more plastic, in sets of 9.

this is all surrounded with those air-pocket padding, and put in a box. or, in another plastic bag

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #8689 on: July 17, 2018, 11:00:49 AM »

What do you figure: was this the post that got Donovan muted?  :laugh:

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8690 on: July 17, 2018, 11:41:02 AM »
*Last Week*

:lipsrsealed: Me: Is it ok if I show a movie?
:-* CT: Vice Principal said we should continue teaching!
:sad: Me: Oh, ok.

*This week*

What else do I see but every teacher showing movies as I walk down the hall?
The World Ends With You

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8691 on: July 17, 2018, 11:41:56 AM »
*Last Week*

*This week*

It's okay. You'll get used to being held to a completely different standard than Korean teachers.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8692 on: July 17, 2018, 12:07:19 PM »
Some kids you literally want to shake by the neck of their shirt and tell them that they're f**king awful.

Our school board decided that having 27 kids in the 3rd grade level wasn't enough to warrant two homeroom classes. So there is ONE.

Can't imagine what it's like for their homeroom teacher.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8693 on: July 17, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »
*Last Week*

*This week*

Just show a movie then.

Offline MoonChild

• Waygookin
  • U wot m8?
« Reply #8694 on: July 17, 2018, 01:18:55 PM »
*Last Week*

*This week*

Played charades with my kids...its English and good for conversation. I am not talking much... :laugh:
Man's not hot

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8695 on: July 17, 2018, 01:24:06 PM »
*Last Week*

*This week*

Just don't ask, wait until you're on your way to class and they ask what you've prepared. Just say, oh, I'm planning to watch a movie with the students.
Then if it's a problem, just give the ol' "Sorry, I don't have anything else prepared." line.
Granted, my schools actually prefer watching movies vs playing games / teaching after exams lol; 2/3 of my co-teachers hate games.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8696 on: July 17, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »
Donovan's been muted and that penis enlarger thread has vanished from thin air. Flags at half mast please.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8697 on: July 17, 2018, 02:27:49 PM »
*Last Week*

*This week*

This happens to me at the end of every single semester.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8698 on: July 17, 2018, 02:40:50 PM »
Donovan's been muted and that penis enlarger thread has vanished from thin air. Flags at half mast please.

Nice euphemism.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8699 on: July 17, 2018, 02:43:43 PM »
*Last Week*

*This week*

You've not learned one of the biggest rules in the Korean workplace, "Don't ask, don't tell".
The simple act of asking means your CT has to give you the official response so it doesn't come back to him/her
that he/she authorized it. You've also acknowledged that your CT has authority over you, by asking permission. Over time, you have to simply do things (within reason) without asking, pretend like you don't need permission and you'll be recognized as such.

Personally, I prefer to save the movies for the very last week.
I like to use the time to teach something useful for a change. I got in a bit of a spat with my CT, a few weeks ago, at the absolutely abysmal level of the 4th and 5th graders reading and listening ability. I explained that she can't simply rote the textbook to them, their English was actually getting worse and that since she teaches them 4 days a week as opposed to my 1, she MUST teach them how to read. The b*tch has actually been instructing them to use hangul to spell English, as a shortcut and a way to compensate for her own lack of teaching ability.

To drive the point home, last week I taught them the phonetic sounds of the 5 English vowels. Not a single 5th grader knew the phonetic sound or that an English letter had a phonetic sound as well as a name, just like Korean. It was like teaching English to students who've never learned English... scratch that, it was more challenging, as I had to at demonstrate that their 'hangulization' was hampering their ears and pronunciation. The lesson went well and this week I tested them on it.

I simply sounded out each vowel and the students had to write it down, I then moved on to a vowel an a single consonant eg. 'at' 'ab' 'ac' 'up' 'it' etc.
Finally, I tried testing them on formulating 3 letter words by listening eg. 'cat' 'mat' 'hat 'hot 'hut'.
Many students struggled and couldn't even hear how many letters I was sounding out.
However, a few absolutely shone. One girl, who refuses to read anything until now, was so proud that she could actually understand, pronounce and hear the difference in 'hat' 'hot' and 'hut'.

I think this was the first time she actually understood how to sound out and read English words. After class, she took a simple book from the shelf and asked me to read a few words with her before she went to her next class. 

... Sorry for going on a tangent, but yeah, that's my story for the day. I'd rather do that, even if it means I've only  helped start the cogs in one students head, that's certainly better than just letting them drone on watching 'Moana' for the millionth time.